Fifteen Minutes of Fame

August1991

Christopher Paul Neil, 32, accused of having sex with children in Asia:

More clues about the suspect's background emerged with the discovery of a page on the social networking website MySpace, apparently created by Neil.

"Been kicking around Asia for the past five years, teaching mainly and finding other forms of mischief," read the page's profile, which also described him as "5 feet, 11 inches tall, slim and slender."

"I love teaching, can't get enough of it really," the entry says, going on to describe his passion for drama, musicals and karaoke.

CBC
However, Neil also said he didn't wish to be extradited to Canada, Chao said. "In his own words, he said, 'I'm not the kind of person who could survive long in a Canadian jail'."
CTV

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cécilia Sarkozy, 49, ex-wife of France's president:

"I am someone who likes the shadows, serenity, tranquility," she was quoted as saying in yesterday's edition. "I had a husband who was a public man, I always knew that. I accompanied him for 20 years ... But me, I think that is not my place. It is no longer my place."

"When you marry a politician, your private life and public life become one," she said, calling that just "the beginning of the problems."

The former model, 49, did not always eschew the limelight, the New York Times reported. As his closest adviser when he was minister of the interior, her office was next to his and she controlled everything from his schedule to his diet.

The Toronto Star
"For him it's like a violinist who has been given a Stradivarius — suddenly he has the chance to practise his art," she told the regional daily L'Est Republicain in her first interview since the couple's divorce announcement. "It's not the same thing for me."

"We tried everything, I tried everything. But it just wasn't possible any more… Public life doesn't suit me," she said.

The Age Edited by August1991

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

"Kristen", American, petite, very pretty brunette, 5 feet 5 inches and 105 pounds, inadvertently becomes famous in the Mayflower Hotel in Washington DC and forces a sitting governor (D NY aka Client-9) to resign:

“I don't think he's difficult. I mean it's just kind of like . . whatever. . . I'm here for a purpose. I know what my purpose is. I am not a . . . moron, you know what I mean. So maybe that's why girls maybe think they're difficult…That's what it is, because you're here for a [purpose]. Let's not get it twisted - I know what I do, you know."
ABC

Oh damn, and here I naively thought that this latest candidate for instant celebrity was going to remain anonymous.

The New York Times reported that the real name of the prostitute - identified as "Kristen" in court papers alleging that Gov. Eliot Spitzer paid more than $4,000 for her services - is Ashley Alexandra Dupre.

Don D. Buchwald, a New York lawyer, confirmed to The Associated Press that he represents Ashley Alexandra Dupre, the same woman in the Times story. "That's as far as I can go," he said.

A man who answered the phone at the home of the woman's mother in New Jersey and identified himself as Dupre's brother, Kyle, told the AP he did not know why Dupre would agree to be interviewed about the scandal.

"I've talked to my sister every five minutes since this happened, and I'm not going to comment on it," he said. "She's just trying to get through this."

Link

• 4 weeks later...

Andre Boisclair, 42, ex-PQ leader, speaks about losing celebrity:

« Quand on vit un moment difficile comme ça, le premier réflexe, c’est de rester à la maison et de fermer les lumières. On a peur d’aller dehors. On a honte. On ne veut pas se montrer. Et un moment donné, parce qu’il y a des gens qui nous tendent la main, on sort et ce qu’on voit ce n’est pas du tout ce qu’on pensait qu’on allait voir. »
La Presse

• 1 month later...

Julie Couillard, 38, ex-girlfriend of MFA and ex-wife of gangster, talks about her media attention:

«Au lieu de se servir de mon image pour se donner de l'exposure médiatique, il aurait dû avoir du respect pour moi», a-t-elle ajouté.

«Tout de suite le lendemain, je m'en voulais de ne pas avoir écouté mon instinct de femme qui me disait de ne pas mettre cette robe.»

«(Avec les motards), je me sentais beaucoup plus en sécurité qu'au cours des trois dernières semaines.»

Canoe Edited by August1991

• 3 months later...

In a world where a man is known for his voiceovers...

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/080902/...obit_lafontaine

Don LaFontaine, the man who popularized the catch phrase "In a world where. . ." and lent his voice to thousands of movie trailers, has died. He was 68.

LaFontaine died Monday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center from complications in the treatment of an ongoing illness, said Vanessa Gilbert, his agent.

• 5 weeks later...

Julie Couillard, to come back and get 30 minutes (15 minutes more), uses her place in a shadow:

"When he was alone with me he never stopped talking against his leader. He reproached him for all kinds of things that very often had nothing to do with his ability as a prime minister; he was fat, he had a belly, he wasn't in shape, he spent his time drinking Pepsi."

"In all his meetings he was always there with his big bottles of Pepsi. He eats badly, he doesn't even take care of himself, he could at least drink water," Couillard recalled Bernier telling her.

Couillard said Bernier saw himself as the future leader of the Conservative Party and had begun to gather support in Conservative circles.

Nor was Harper the only person Bernier slagged in private, says Couillard. His own constituents came in for contemptuous comments.

"We were walking together in the crowd," Couillard said, recalling a corn roast in his riding.

"While he distributed smiles, he would lean towards me with a casual air and whisper disdainful remarks about his constituents."

The Gazette

• 4 months later...

You might not know the name Heather DeLoach ...but you know her.

At 10 years of age, Heather achieved what can only be described as global rock superstardom by starring as "The Bee Girl" in what is probably

Now 25, Heather reflects on her 15 minutes of fame.

"I thought I would never live this down," she told The Post from her home in Lake Forest, Calif.

"But this is the best thing that happened to me. At 80 years old, people are still going to be wondering what I'm doing," she says. "It's opened so many doors with acting and my personal life, it's been a blessing."

(...)

A graduate of Cal State Fullerton, DeLoach used her fame from the "No Rain" video as a launching pad for appearances in films such as "A Little Princess" and "The Beautician and the Beast."

-k

• 4 months later...

Florence Lawrence (January 2, 1886 – December 28, 1938) was a Canadian inventor and silent film actress, who is often referred to as "The First Movie Star". She was also known as "The Biograph Girl", "The Imp Girl" and "The Girl of a Thousand Faces". During her lifetime, Lawrence appeared in more than 270 films for various motion picture companies.

Michael Jackson (August 29, 1958 – June 25, 2009) was born in Gary, Indiana and became an American showman in the 1970s and 1980s. He was famous for events in his personal life as well as for his singing and dancing talents. During his lifetime, Jackson recorded many Billboard records.

Edited by August1991

Florence Lawrence (January 2, 1886 – December 28, 1938) was a Canadian inventor and silent film actress, who is often referred to as "The First Movie Star". She was also known as "The Biograph Girl", "The Imp Girl" and "The Girl of a Thousand Faces". During her lifetime, Lawrence appeared in more than 270 films for various motion picture companies.

Michael Jackson (August 29, 1958 – June 25, 2009) was born in Gary, Indiana and became an American showman in the 1970s and 1980s. He was famous for events in his personal life as well as for his singing and dancing talents. During his lifetime, Jackson recorded many Billboard records.

I think you might be confused by 15 minutes of fame.

All things considered Dobbin, I don't think so.

Perhaps as a French Canadian, you don't know how famous Jackson is the English speaking world is and how long it has lasted.

In fact, his infamy will likely last as long.

Edited by jdobbin

Perhaps as a French Canadian, you don't know how famous Jackson is the English speaking world is and how long it has lasted.
My father taught me as well as he could, but my allegiance is to my mother.

I suspect that Michael Jackson's fame will not last long. IMV, he's no Mozart.

I'm sure you said they same thing about Elvis.
Elvis has been forgotten by most. For people born after 1980 he only has relevance as a tabloid story along side batboy and aliens.

Micheal Jackson will follow the same path.

The Beatles, the Stones and even AC/DC have more resonance than Elvis or Jackson.

Elvis has been forgotten by most. For people born after 1980 he only has relevance as a tabloid story along side batboy and aliens.

Sorry, that doesn't jibe with the continued sales of his image and music.

The Beatles, the Stones and even AC/DC have more resonance than Elvis or Jackson.

The first two come close.

Afraid you are off the mark as most industry and cultural experts will tell you. Elvis and Jackson achieved both fame and notoriety. An early death almost assures a certain fame for these type of artists.

Edited by jdobbin

Mozart died in the 1790s, but his music is still available on bittorrent.

In 200 years, in 2210, will anyone listen to the Jackson Five, even as a period artefact?

In 2210, I suspect that people will know the opening notes of

however, as we do over 200 years after Mozart's death. And KV622 will be as plaintive, lonely and famous in 2210 as it is now.

----

Fame is transient, but we can all offer a gift to the future.

Edited by August1991

Jackson is the number 1 selling artist of all time. His records are now filling the top 10 charts, and he's only been dead for a day. Amazon and Barnes and Noble are sold out of his records. I didn't care for him or his music, but his fame isn't about to die. He's a world icon...except in Quebec it seems...or at least in the world of August.

Mozart died in the 1790s, but his music is still available on bittorrent.

In 200 years, in 2210, will anyone listen to the Jackson Five, even as a period artefact?

Yes.....if only because of the annual Holiday Music cycle...and their Christmas song covers. Did Mozart ever do "Santa Claus is Coming To Town" ?