Emmerson just crossed the floor!

betsy

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, you ain't Harper.

They needed representation from the three big cities that they got *shut out of*.

That was the rationale for Emerson. If Harper were going to tell him that he wouldn't have brought him over in the first place.

If I am Harper I tell him to hold his horses and that a by-election should be held. At the very least, he should sit as a second independent until the next federal election.

Mixed feelings here. I tend to agree on the principal of holding a by-election. On the other hand, Emerson was by far the most capable member of the Liberal caucus in BC and his inclusion in Harpers cabinet will be a very good thing for the Province. With the Olympics coming up and the Pacific Gateway project happening, I think this is a very pragmatic move for Harper and BC.

Like Stronach, Emerson now belongs to the party he always should have and if you look at it from a straight trade point of view, the Conservatives got the better deal.

The optics really suck and although I didn't like his former party, I've always thought Emerson was in it for what he could do for BC. I doubt very much you will ever see him running for party leader.

Yeah, you ain't Harper.

They needed representation from the three big cities that they got *shut out of*.

That was the rationale for Emerson. If Harper were going to tell him that he wouldn't have brought him over in the first place.

If I am Harper I tell him to hold his horses and that a by-election should be held. At the very least, he should sit as a second independent until the next federal election.

Shoop,

I generally agree with you and there is no doubt we needed representation from the big 3 cities but this just looks awful after Harper's promise to bring up accountability.

This will be used against us. Likely, the NDP has the most to gain.

Harper is better than this and he crossed the floor at a crucial time to get a plum cabinet post, much like Belinda did. It looks awful...

Yeah, you ain't Harper.

Shoop,

I generally agree with you and there is no doubt we needed representation from the big 3 cities but this just looks awful after Harper's promise to bring up accountability.

Harper is better than this and he crossed the floor at a crucial time to get a plum cabinet post, much like Belinda did. It looks awful...

It is awful and Harper couldn't even live up to his word on his innaguration day.

Yeah, you ain't Harper.

Shoop,

Let Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal sit there without a minister until they elect one. We waited a long time in Calgary, didn't have the Liberals trying to sway any Calgary MP's into cabinet.

Yeah, you ain't Harper.

Shoop,

Let Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal sit there without a minister until they elect one. We waited a long time in Calgary, didn't have the Liberals trying to sway any Calgary MP's into cabinet.

I guess this is just Harper trying to sit on both sides of the fence at once.

Wow, what a great recipe for a short-termed minority government followed by a long return to the opposition benches.

Harper is laying the groundwork for a majority win in the fall of 2008. He is showing the long-range thinking that has been lacking for far too long in Canadian right of centre parties, and from certain posters on this board. :lol:

Wow, what a great recipe for a short-termed minority government followed by a long return to the opposition benches.

Harper is laying the groundwork for a majority win in the fall of 2008. He is showing the long-range thinking that has been lacking for far too long in Canadian right of centre parties, and from certain posters on this board. :lol:

Selling out defeats the whole purpose of winning a majority. If I wanted a party that would do anything to gain power and pull every trick in the book, I would have voted Liberal. I voted for integrity, not a majority government. I feel that many CPC supporters are in the same boat.

Call it selling out if you want.

Honestly, there are certain things that have to be done in order to run a successful government.

Look at Joe Clark. He stood by his principles and lasted nine months. Had he been a little shrewder Trudeau wouldn't have screwed the west with the N.E.P. or imposed Constitution Act 1982 on the country.

Seems to me like you just want to sit and bitch no matter who is in power...

Selling out defeats the whole purpose of winning a majority. If I wanted a party that would do anything to gain power and pull every trick in the book, I would have voted Liberal. I voted for integrity, not a majority government. I feel that many CPC supporters are in the same boat.

Call it selling out if you want.

Honestly, there are certain things that have to be done in order to run a successful government.

Look at Joe Clark. He stood by his principles and lasted nine months. Had he been a little shrewder Trudeau wouldn't have screwed the west with the N.E.P. or imposed Constitution Act 1982 on the country.

Seems to me like you just want to sit and bitch no matter who is in power...

Not true shoop. It's one thing to make the government run successfully, its another to have people crossing the floor and being appointed to the Senate on day one.

Here, I'll give ya some good comments. Flaherty was the best possible choice for a Finance minister. :D

Prentice was also an excellent choice.

Thanks for that. You do realize that it was probly Prentice who *took* Ablonczy's spot. :lol:

Not true shoop. It's one thing to make the government run successfully, its another to have people crossing the floor and being appointed to the Senate on day one.

Here, I'll give ya some good comments. Flaherty was the best possible choice for a Finance minister. :D

I live and work in Vancouver and have had the opportunity to interact with Emmerson.

His ideas and focus are traditionally Conservative. He was a hard person to campaign against because as a Conservative I agreed with Emmerson on most things. Ideologically he will fit in.

The only problem I have ever had with Emmerson is that he was a Liberal. To form a majority government Conservatives need to welcome like minded traditional Liberals.

This will help continue to push the Liberals to the left. As the Conservative party moves to own the middle expect more like minded Liberals to feel more at home in the Conservative party.

We needed a Minister for the Olympics and the gateway project. Emmerson will do a great job.

Today is a good day. :)

Thanks for that. You do realize that it was probly Prentice who *took* Ablonczy's spot. :lol:

I'd rather have Prentice than Ablonczy. I'm not overly concerned that she's not there, I just felt that she definitely deserves it more than some others hanging around and plus it would give more female balance to a party that has a bad image in this regard already. Three from Calgary isn't unreasonable. She did get Parlimentary Secretary to the Finance Minister, which should be noted.

I live and work in Vancouver and have had the opportunity to interact with Emmerson.

His ideas and focus are traditionally Conservative. He was a hard person to campaign against because as a Conservative I agreed with Emmerson on most things. Ideologically he will fit in.

The only problem I have ever had with Emmerson is that he was a Liberal. To form a majority government Conservatives need to welcome like minded traditional Liberals.

This will help continue to push the Liberals to the left. As the Conservative party moves to own the middle expect more like minded Liberals to feel more at home in the Conservative party.

We needed a Minister for the Olympics and the gateway project. Emmerson will do a great job.

Today is a good day. :)

Interesting view on it Willy. I'd just rather Emerson would have got his cabinet seat because he was elected to it, not doing the big ol' switcheroo right after the election.

Bah.. this is why I wish that NDP proposal could be in place by now (doesnt matter who gets it there, just get it there) that makes people run in a by-election before they can cross the floor.

I guess now we know why Emerson voted against that particula motion.

This is the exact same scenario as went down with Stronach. The difference is, this guy didn't wait until the ink was dry on the ballots. I wonder: will Emerson's move be met by accusations of political opportunism or worse, "political prostitution" from members of his new caucus? No? Uh...why not? If it was a sleazy move for Belinda to pull, its equally sleazy in this case. Kudos to geoffery for consistency.

Quick question Black Dog. What were you saying when Belinda crossed? Being the big fan of consistency that you are...

This is the exact same scenario as went down with Stronach. The difference is, this guy didn't wait until the ink was dry on the ballots. I wonder: will Emerson's move be met by accusations of political opportunism or worse, "political prostitution" from members of his new caucus? No? Uh...why not? If it was a sleazy move for Belinda to pull, its equally sleazy in this case. Kudos to geoffery for consistency.

Bah.. this is why I wish that NDP proposal could be in place by now (doesnt matter who gets it there, just get it there) that makes people run in a by-election before they can cross the floor.

I guess now we know why Emerson voted against that particula motion.

Thanks BD, I didn't think I've ever hear a Kudos from you. :lol:

The truth is that this type of behavoir isn't what I or many CPC supporters voted for. I'm currently not impressed. I'm not willing to write-off Harper yet, but he's off on the wrong foot thats for sure.

The damage done by these two moves in the hands of the media could be far worse than any benifet the party will receive by having these two guys around.

I am listening to the news as I type and the news media is delighted with Harper's cabinet choices including Emerson who they deem as an excellent choice for the post. Of course, Liberals are frothing at the mouth - priceless!! No law is yet in place regarding crossing the floor and until that happens & since Emerson was wanting to switch since the last election, it's fair dinkum. Stronach and Brison got Liberal cabinet positions immediately upon crossing or was I dreaming? No matter what Harper does, he will be damned so Go Harper, go and I hope the cabinet you picked is a good and honest one !!

Your anger at the Emerson appointment to Canada is rightful. If the CPC gets hammered in the press it will be over this one. The Fortier thing is fluff in the wind.

The truth is that this type of behavoir isn't what I or many CPC supporters voted for. I'm currently not impressed. I'm not willing to write-off Harper yet, but he's off on the wrong foot thats for sure.

The damage done by these two moves in the hands of the media could be far worse than any benifet the party will receive by having these two guys around.

Belinda got a post as soon as she crossed the floor. Brison did not.

I am listening to the news as I type and the news media is delighted with Harper's cabinet choices including Emerson who they deem as an excellent choice for the post. Of course, Liberals are frothing at the mouth - priceless!! No law is yet in place regarding crossing the floor and until that happens & since Emerson was wanting to switch since the last election, it's fair dinkum. Stronach and Brison got Liberal cabinet positions immediately upon crossing or was I dreaming? No matter what Harper does, he will be damned so Go Harper, go and I hope the cabinet you picked is a good and honest one !!