Emmerson just crossed the floor!

betsy

The optics of the Emerson crossing are bad. However, Harper made a conscious choice that having a representative for Vancouver at the cabinet table would outweigh the negative optics in the medium to long-term.

He just might be correct.

Call Harper's actions what you will. But if you want to be fair, they weren't corrupt.

To be fair you are right you never embraced the Liberals.

But why not hope the CPC is less corrupt?

Actually reading the Montreal Gazette article today I think I am starting to change my mind a bit.

He now has official Vancouver and Montreal reps, as well as reps from close enough to downtown Toronto (in the GTA) to understand that district.

If it turns out that he is better able to represent the "Big Three" because of this, then maybe it is for the better.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emerson suggested that immigrants needed better language training so they could shed their accents (CP Wire, June 10, 2004).

Well, it's too late for Henry Kissinger who, although he came to America at the age of 14, NEVER got the training that Emerson's talking about, and thus NEVER lost his accent. He is too old now.

But what about that guy from 'Cauli-fornia', Arnold Schwarzenegger? HE could use some of that training Emerson's talking about. He is still young.

What an idiot ... tsk tsk tsk. :rolleyes:

This whole issue is the result of our partisan,party-based, electoral system where you vote for the party, not your the individual who is running.

The whole thing stinks. Do away with all the parties I say.

Italy has pretty much proved that having no parties is a bad call.

Lots of us worked hard for the CPC during the election.

I don't really know how they betrayed anybody who volunteered for the party.

Agreed that it is a bad move, perception-wise.

I'm surprised. I worked my buns off during the election and now they do this? I understand about the representation thing, but dammit - but perception wise, its a bad move .

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

The same old way? Harper? NO WAY!

Look:

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/sto...f6aad19&k=72543

"""Two of Canada's most respected political historians say David Emerson's backflip into the Conservative cabinet is an unprecedented show of arrogance and a grave error by Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

"I think it's outrageous that a man should run for one party and express himself in partisan terms, and then in a week when nothing has changed except his personal opportunity, he should change parties," said Blair Neatby, an eminent Ottawa historian and biographer of two Canadian prime ministers.

In separate interviews on Tuesday, each predicted Harper would pay for the Emerson affair at the polls.

"It's difficult to imagine anything so arrogant," Neatby said. "I don't think voters will forget. I don't think (Harper) judged the pros and cons sufficiently."

He said Harper has squandered the credibility -- on ethics, honesty and clean politics -- that got him elected."""

Emerson is just an opportunist, that riding has not voted Tory since 1958. The tory finished a very distant third in this last election. Emerson crossed before government was even sworn in, mighty suspicious if you ask me.

The tories were going to clean up government yadda yadda yadda and when Stronach crossed the tories were screaming bloody murder, but now it is ok? wtf?

Emerson is just an opportunist, that riding has not voted Tory since 1958. The tory finished a very distant third in this last election. Emerson crossed before government was even sworn in, mighty suspicious if you ask me.

The tories were going to clean up government yadda yadda yadda and when Stronach crossed the tories were screaming bloody murder, but now it is ok? wtf?

When the Liberals do it is criminal don't you know.

This all just boils down to bad timing. If Emerson had crossed six months from now, only the die hards would have their knickers in a twist. It was bad timing when Belinda did it as well, a day or two before a vote to down the government. But this is a normal part of Canadian politics, Emerson is an opportunist just like Belinda is, now she's running for the leadership of the liberals after running for the tory leadership, what, 2 years ago? And guess what, after all the knicker twisting in her riding, they voted her back in as a liberal. Emerson may get the same treatment.

His crossing the floor makes slightly more sense if you assume his need for "public service" will be spent before the next election. Good thing as I doubt Emerson will ever get reelected within the boundaries of Vancouver. Crass opportunists like Svend Robinson and David Emerson are not viewed kindly by downtown voters.

If he still wants to inflict more "public service" on British Columbians after the current govt falls, the CPC will have to move his egotistical butt to a safe riding out in the valley, ie. Chilliwack or Abbottsford.

His crossing the floor makes slightly more sense if you assume his need for "public service" will be spent before the next election. Good thing as I doubt Emerson will ever get reelected within the boundaries of Vancouver. Crass opportunists like Svend Robinson and David Emerson are not viewed kindly by downtown voters.

If he still wants to inflict more "public service" on British Columbians after the current govt falls, the CPC will have to move his egotistical butt to a safe riding out in the valley, ie. Chilliwack or Abbottsford.

It's going to be lonely out there with no representation VK.