‘Trump takes personal things personally:’ Liberal strategy to compare Poilievre with Trump ‘desperate,’ and a ‘delicate dance’ that could backfire, say political players

https://www.hilltimes.com/story/2024/01/29/trump-takes-personal-things-personally-liberal-strategy-to-disparagingly-compare-poilievre-with-trump-desperate-and-a-delicate-dance-that-could-backfire-say-political-player/409479/

Between now and November, Donald Trump is going to make a lot of news, so the Liberals don’t need to publicly link Pierre Poilievre with the former U.S. president, says pollster Nik Nanos.

Slumping in public support and dealing with second guessing from the backbench in his own caucus, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s strategy to make unflattering comparisons between former U.S. president Donald Trump and Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre is “desperate,” and could backfire if Trumps returns to the White House, say political players.

“You’re dealing with a person on the other side of the border, who, first of all, doesn’t have a good impression of the prime minister as has been reported widely in the media,” said Darrell Bricker, CEO of Ipsos Public Affairs. “And, secondly, it’s not like you can put up a dome over the top of Canada and people in the United States aren’t seeing what’s going on. So it’s a very delicate dance. This is a president who takes these kinds of personal things personally.”

He's playing with some pretty serious political fire.  If trump gets in JT will have to deal with him for a full year before the election and there's a very good chance trump will decide to even up the score if he sees JT badmouthing him in the meantime.

Not to mention there really is no comparison of the two -he's running ads calling PP the leader of the 'Maga conservatives' and comparing him to trump and i don't think the public is going to buy that.  ANd that kind of cheap politicing can blow up badly in your face.

This would be a good reason for PP to differentiate himself from Trump by expressing an interest in joining the discussion and perhaps endorsing the voting changes the NDP have proposed.

Or would that only PO Trump even more? I suspect it would go right over his head myself.

Of course you'd buy it as fast as DeSantis kissed Trump's butt.

20 minutes ago, eyeball said:

This would be a good reason for PP to differentiate himself from Trump by expressing an interest in joining the discussion and perhaps endorsing the voting changes the NDP have proposed.

PP doesn't have to differentiate himself from Trump.  He's not a degenerate 300-pound blob with a spray tan, and can form full sentences with a healthy vocabulary.  

Comparing him to Trump is desperate, and it will backfire.  The only similarities they share are the sloganeering and the simple messages for simple minds.  Drain the swamp!  Axe the Tax!  It impresses a...certain type.  😆

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Or would that only PO Trump even more? I suspect it would go right over his head myself.

Of course you'd buy it as fast as DeSantis kissed Trump's butt.

What an amazing load of horsecrap.  The ndp haven't proposed any changes, they and the libs are still working on it behind closed doors and the only thing endorsing that would prove is that pierre is a complete p*ssy.

The right thing to do at this point is just keep your mouth shut, but justin would rather sell out the country on the off chance it keeps him in power.  You don't comment on another country's election or potential leaders.  That's what putin does not western leaders. 

I think it will backfire simply because it assumes Canadians won't be smart enough to see through it.

Poilievre is clearly highly articulate, and Trump is not.

Its lazy, and may only work on far leftists. 

Anyone with half a brain will want to see substance. 

If Poilievre is smart, he will sooner or later be incredibly detailed about his plans.

A lot harder to be compared to Trump then.

6 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

I think it will backfire simply because it assumes Canadians won't be smart enough to see through it.

Poilievre is clearly highly articulate, and Trump is not.

Its lazy, and may only work on far leftists. 

Anyone with half a brain will want to see substance. 

If Poilievre is smart, he will sooner or later be incredibly detailed about his plans.

A lot harder to be compared to Trump then.

Well i'm sure he'll be detailed about his plans but that won't happen till the election. Anyone who released any significant details about their platform before an election has paid a huge political price in history.  Even last election when Erin released his at the beginning, justin refused to for 2 weeks and then when the polls were back showing what people liked about erins he just said the same things with more spending. Erin said he'd spend 1 million on new homes, trudeau said 1.5 etc etc.

And some recent polling showed more people thought PP would be better to face trump than JT.  But honestly i think you're right and people will just see it as a cheap trick that's a little dangerous.

12 hours ago, Moonbox said:

PP doesn't have to differentiate himself from Trump.  He's not a degenerate 300-pound blob with a spray tan, and can form full sentences with a healthy vocabulary.  

Comparing him to Trump is desperate, and it will backfire.  The only similarities they share are the sloganeering and the simple messages for simple minds.  Drain the swamp!  Axe the Tax!  It impresses a...certain type.  😆

I certainly think its fair and accurate to compare supporters to leaders get a sense of what we should expect from the leaders.  Whether they keep their promises or deliver remains to be seen I guess but I suppose Poilievre can probably be expected to be less chaotic albeit in a increasingly chaotic world.   

51 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I certainly think its fair and accurate to compare supporters to leaders get a sense of what we should expect from the leaders.

Pretty lies and simple-minded slogans made for simple-minded people are, at best a lousy indicator for a politician is going to do in office.  For me, I am cautiously optimistic that a lot of the dumber stuff PP has said was just for the dumber parts of the Conservative base, and especially for Mad Max's delusional supporters.  

2 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

Pretty lies and simple-minded slogans made for simple-minded people are, at best a lousy indicator for a politician is going to do in office.  For me, I am cautiously optimistic that a lot of the dumber stuff PP has said was just for the dumber parts of the Conservative base, and especially for Mad Max's delusional supporters.  

What makes me pessimistic is if PP can't make any headway against the economic storm winds everyone is up against he'll turn and run with doing stuff about the base's social concerns, wokism, crime, pronouns etc.  Like I've said elsewhere he'll have at least 2/3 of a term maybe a whole one in which his supporters will let him get away blaming a lack of progress on the mess Trudeau left.

19 minutes ago, eyeball said:

What makes me pessimistic is if PP can't make any headway against the economic storm winds everyone is up against he'll turn and run with doing stuff about the base's social concerns, wokism, crime, pronouns etc.  Like I've said elsewhere he'll have at least 2/3 of a term maybe a whole one in which his supporters will let him get away blaming a lack of progress on the mess Trudeau left.

Here's the thing though:

Trudeau has done such an abysmal job that Poilievre wouldn't even have to be mediocre to shine in comparison.  As much time as Pierre has spent harping on conservative social issues, Trudeau has spent as much or more on cringe-level virtue signaling.  The one file that actually matters the most is the one Trudeau has catastrophically botched, which is economy and the fiscal balance sheet. 

As much as I dislike Pierre and shake my head that this is the best the Conservatives could come up with, for the things that matter most, it's inconceivable that he'd be as bad or worse than Trudeau.  

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

Here's the thing though:

Trudeau has done such an abysmal job that Poilievre wouldn't even have to be mediocre to shine in comparison.  As much time as Pierre has spent harping on conservative social issues, Trudeau has spent as much or more on cringe-level virtue signaling.  The one file that actually matters the most is the one Trudeau has catastrophically botched, which is economy and the fiscal balance sheet. 

As much as I dislike Pierre and shake my head that this is the best the Conservatives could come up with, for the things that matter most, it's inconceivable that he'd be as bad or worse than Trudeau.  

The bar has been set stunningly low. It will not be hard to appear to be better.

Like Trump is entire campaign is 'the other guy is just bad'. Like Trump he has a single issue carbon taxvs.border fear.

Like Trump he contests every solution from the opposition and asks you to trust him as he knows better. Unlike Trump he doesn't spout out his absurd half-baked solutions. Which is PP's biggest problem, he most likely doesn't even have any.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

The bar has been set stunningly low. It will not be hard to appear to be better.

Try, if you can, to remember this post before the next time you want to call me a Trudeau fanboy.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moonbox said:

The one file that actually matters the most is the one Trudeau has catastrophically botched, which is economy and the fiscal balance sheet. 

Probably not but I see little reason to believe he'll be much better especially on the economy file because its too catastrophic just about everywhere you go. Of course his hard core supporters are convinced it'll be rainbows, sunshine and the sounds of angels singing so happier conservatives for awhile will be a nice change.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Probably not but I see little reason to believe he'll be much better especially on the economy file because its too catastrophic just about everywhere you go. Of course his hard core supporters are convinced it'll be rainbows, sunshine and the sounds of angels singing so happier conservatives for awhile will be a nice change.

Well you sound pretty unbias, so that makes sense :)

IF PP did nothing at all the economy would be in better shape.

As it is there's a number of things he can do to show quick results, longer term will require more skill and effort.  But he appears to have the knoweldge to do it

14 minutes ago, eyeball said:

The solution to wasting money frivolously is to stop doing it.  It doesn't have to be rainbows.  He just has to stop punching holes in the hull of our ship.  It will most assuredly not be sunshine and rainbows for all of the public sector workers that we'll need to dump, but it still needs to happen to not sink the boat.  

Edited by Moonbox

51 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Probably not but I see little reason to believe he'll be much better especially on the economy file because its too catastrophic just about everywhere you go. 

Things seem to be going very well down south. Why is that?

35 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

They're really not tho.  If you cherry pick the numbers it looks decent but it's not. That's why biden's ratings are so low.  People know they're not doing well financially.

But honestly in canada it will be SO easy to 'improve' the economy that it's not even going to be a challenge. 

I don't think a full year of Trudeau trying to scare people about how Poilievre is just like that evil, horrible, mean, stupid, racist, ignorant, rabble rousing Trump is going to play well down south if Diaper Boy gets elected again. And against old Joe, he just might. Even though, aside from the identity crap, things are going pretty well down south. If the Dems hadn't kept pushing the identity garbage they'd have no problem winning over the House and holding onto the presidency. But they just can't bring themselves to shut the f*ck up about stuff people are tired of hearing about. At every level, from school boards, to city administrations and mayors to local district attorneys to governors to old Joe repeating swill he's being fed by his progressive wing.

55 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

They're really not tho.  If you cherry pick the numbers it looks decent but it's not. That's why biden's ratings are so low.  People know they're not doing well financially.

But honestly in canada it will be SO easy to 'improve' the economy that it's not even going to be a challenge. 

What isn't going well? The stock market is at an all-time high. GDP growth is exceeding expectations, inflation is coming down, and unemployment is at 3.7%

If it weren't for the identity crap the dems would be a shoe-in against Trump.

Edited by I am Groot

58 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

What isn't going well? The stock market is at an all-time high. GDP growth is exceeding expectations, inflation is coming down, and unemployment is at 3.7%

If it weren't for the identity crap the dems would be a shoe-in against Trump.

I've posted the data a number of times but the short version is the stock market is artificially inflated due to spending, and many experts note an imbalance with many companies over valuated (and some unexplained under valuated), and that's a bit of a pyramid - when the spending stops that can come crashing down.  

Much of that activity has been driven by biden's spending.

For personal finances at the moment wage growth is slightly edging out inflation but because inflation was so high for so long  its' got a long way to go to even catch up - remember inflation is like compound interest, if you had 10 perecent last year and 2 percent this year the 2 percent is taken on the 10 percent too.  And vice versa with wages. 

So for example lets say for easy math last year wage growth was 2 percent and inflation was 10 percent. Starting with a  base of 100 that would mean that wages went to 102 and cost of living went to 110.   This year they reverse, cost of living is now 112.2 and wages are 110.2. ANd inflation was high and wages low for 2 years.

So if you look at the wages vs inflation TODAY it looks good - but in reality they were at such high inflation for so long that people are still suffering

Biden is also increasing taxes by 4.7  TRILLION dollars, which people are going to feel pretty hard.

https://www.cato.org/blog/8-biggest-tax-increases-bidens-budget

There's a bunch of other data along those lines.  Not to mention the interest on biden's borrowing is going to start coming due soon and that is going to be a drag on the economy.

You can make the numbers look good for a while if you know what you're doing but the fundamentals are not good. He's trying to puff things up for an election year.

3 hours ago, I am Groot said:

The first thing that comes to mind is that Trump isn't running things. That said MAGA is saying the opposite, that America's economy is in the toilet.

Why is that? /sarcoff

16 hours ago, CdnFox said:

And some recent polling showed more people thought PP would be better to face trump than JT

PP is logical. He's like an accountant who chose to become a politician. 

I expect a person that looks like him to do my taxes. Not cut them. 

More importantly,  he has a good sense of humor and is truly governed by logic.

Trudeau is governed by shame politics and virtue signaling. This is oil to Trump's fire.

If am a politician meeting with Trump, I leave attacks out of it, and focus on getting the job done for what is best for Canada.

Trump could work with such a voice.

At the end of the day, you won't be remembered for scolding Trump and securing nothing but garbage deals.

You will be remembered for securing good deals with Canada, and showing you can work with the United States, regardless of disagreement.

Trump gets elected, I just don't see how Trudeau can manage to work with him which ends up hurting Canada.

This is like business. I do deals with people I absolutely can't stand. Suck it up, and focus on the what is best for the business first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Moonbox said:

"Choose Forward"

Have a nice day...