New Axis of tyrants is a reality

16 hours ago, Moonbox said:

Try what?  Do what?  These are bromidic marshmallows - truisms that don't mean anything.   

Be less lazy? Be smarter and make more intelligent choices? Who's advocating for the opposite?  

If I may...

Try promoting real family values again.

Try bringing the pledge of allegiance back to elementary schools. 

Try not spending taxpayer money on foreign wars.

Try closing the border.

Try leaving energy production alone to drive the economy. 

But above all...

Try real hard to understand what global institutions are trying to do to the entire world.

16 hours ago, Moonbox said:

Try what?  Do what?  These are bromidic marshmallows - truisms that don't mean anything.   

Be less lazy? Be smarter and make more intelligent choices?

Bromidic marshmallows, I like that. That's what they really want. Say nice fluffy things. Look good. Make people feel good about themselves in their comfortable, secure luxury that was created using methods they don't want to know about.

Doesn't matter if the reality is you're bombing people in shanty-towns in far away lands, as long as those wars are elsewhere.

Pass me a Bud Light...   ;)

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 8:01 AM, OftenWrong said:

Bromidic marshmallows, I like that. That's what they really want. Say nice fluffy things. Look good. 

I did too, first time i read that term.  It was (IIRC) from a Globeandmail article criticizing Trudeau’s nothing-speak, and it was perfect.  

• Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

How should I know. Most communists are atheists, like you's guys.

Coincidence?   ;) 

So what does lack of religion have to do with anything?  Seems to me that theocracies are some of the worst like Iran and Saudi Arabia. Evangelicals in the US seem hell bent on putting their Messiah in power.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Aristides said:

So what does lack of religion have to do with anything?  Seems to me that theocracies are some of the worst like Iran and Saudi Arabia. Evangelicals in the US seem hell bent on putting their Messiah in power.

You want to compare harsh Islamic fundamentalist countries and their sharia law to modern christianity and its impact on western law, start a thread.

Apples and oranges. Typically leftist confuse things in their quest to equalize everything.

My question would be why it BOTHERS you so much.

Edited by OftenWrong

6 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

You want to compare harsh Islamic fundamentalist countries and their sharia law to modern christianity and its impact on western law, start a thread.

Apples and oranges. Typically leftist confuse things in their quest to equalize everything.

My question would be why it BOTHERS you so much.

Fundamentalists are fundamentalists regardless of what hat they wear. It's their way or the highway.

44 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Fundamentalists are fundamentalists regardless of what hat they wear. It's their way or the highway.

Why are you pursuing this ridiculous dialogue. No one here has suggested fundamentalism to solve anything.

Your views are extreme if you think all religious people are fundamentalsts.

44 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Why are you pursuing this ridiculous dialogue. No one here has suggested fundamentalism to solve anything.

Your views are extreme if you think all religious people are fundamentalsts.

Not all but they are behind denying women's and LGBTQ rights, censorship and banning of books. Controlling others lives according to their own beliefs.

Edited by Aristides

16 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Not all but they are behind denying women's and LGBTQ rights, censorship and banning of books. Controlling others lives according to their own beliefs.

Rubbish. "They are behind..."

Not in any western country.

And nobody says we need a theocracy. 

You simply hate christians and need them for a bogeyman. Yet you're playing right into the communists hands. Stalin et al said exactly the same thing.

What church did he go to?

Do you realize how absurd your comments are here?

The new axis of tyrants, is YOU PEOPLE.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Rubbish. "They are behind..."

Not in any western country.

And nobody says we need a theocracy. 

You simply hate christians and need them for a bogeyman. Yet you're playing right into the communists hands. Stalin et al said exactly the same thing.

What church did he go to?

Do you realize how absurd your comments are here?

I don't hate Christians or any other religious people, I just hate fundamentalists who want to impose their beliefs on everyone else.

I was responding to this statement 

Exactly. The decline of religion and rise of atheism.   

Tyrants come in all colours, religious and atheist. They get power when people believe one person has all the answers and are willing to trade their freedoms for a quick fix. Even better if they can trade someone else's freedoms.  Democracy is messy, always has been.

Edited by Aristides

2 hours ago, Aristides said:

I just hate

Yep. Out with it. You take exception to me teasing treebeard about his blatant atheism, because you are yourself a blatant atheist. 

You need to learn some history before passing judgement. Claiming religious people, namely christians, are totalitarians when in fact every tyrant has opposed religion. Because those who want total power cannot abide the fact that people may believe in a higher authority than the state, something you fail to understand.

Your hatred of christianity has blinded you to the reality of what tyrants do, and what they fear the most.

Canada still upholds god in its anthem and charter of rights and freedoms.

"Whereas Canada is founded upon principles that recognize the supremacy of God and the rule of law". - The INTRODUCTORY sentence of the charter.

But you are ignorant of this fact, by the raging hatred-hard-on you have against the "god-boys".

Edited by OftenWrong

8 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Yep. Out with it. You take exception to me teasing treebeard about his blatant atheism, because you are yourself a blatant atheist. 

You need to learn some history before passing judgement. Claiming religious people, namely christians, are totalitarians when in fact every tyrant has opposed religion. Because those who want total power cannot abide the fact that people may believe in a higher authority than the state, something you fail to understand.

Your hatred of christianity has blinded you to the reality of what tyrants do, and what they fear the most.

Canada still upholds god in its anthem and charter of rights and freedoms.

"Whereas Canada is founded upon principles that recognize the supremacy of God and the rule of law". - The INTRODUCTORY sentence of the charter.

But you are ignorant of this fact, by the raging hatred-hard-on you have against the "god-boys".

I have friends who are regular church goers. We don't talk religion or judge each other and get along just fine.

If faith makes their lives better that's great but it is their life, not mine.

You are  the one on a rant here, not me.

Edited by Aristides

10 minutes ago, Aristides said:

I have friends who are regular church goers. We don't talk religion or judge each other and get along just fine.

If faith makes their lives better that's great but it is their life, not mine.

You are  the one on a rant here, not me.

Aw. "But but but, some of my friends are..."

There was no rant. I educated you on the role of god in our civil laws, against your vile views towards the religious. You are out of touch with history and facts, in your quest to ridicule and demonize christians carte-blanche. As leftist so often do.

In fact your views that the religious in Canada want theocracy and to dismantle democracy are 100% inverted from reality. And I demonstrated that by quoting you the charter. 

What did you bring to the conversation, other than immature and baseless claims? Not much. 

3 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Aw. "But but but, some of my friends are..."

There was no rant. I educated you on the role of god in our civil laws, against your vile views towards the religious. You are out of touch with history and facts, in your quest to ridicule and demonize christians carte-blanche. As leftist so often do.

In fact your views that the religious in Canada want theocracy and to dismantle democracy are 100% inverted from reality. And I demonstrated that by quoting you the charter. 

What did you bring to the conversation, other than immature and baseless claims? Not much. 

I'm a live and let live guy, I don't tell others how to live their lives. You are the one with your knickers in a knot. All I said is tyrants come in all forms, religious and non religious. For some reason you find that offensive.

Edited by Aristides

32 minutes ago, Aristides said:

I'm a live and let live guy, I don't tell others how to live their lives. You are the one with your knickers in a not. All I said is tyrants come in all forms, religious and non religious. For some reason you find that offensive.

Liar. Here is one of the things you said about people who are religious. You did it without qualification. -

13 hours ago, Aristides said:

they are behind denying women's and LGBTQ rights, censorship and banning of books. Controlling others lives according to their own beliefs.

You are confusing the issue with your bias and naivete. You want to say something, be more precise or expect to get picked apart.

And I never attacked you, just showed you are clueless about the significance of terms like "God keep our land".

Consider yourself a little more educated today.

Edited by OftenWrong

18 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Right wing evangelicals are behind all those things but I fully understand they don't represent all Christians or even a majority. 

I'm done here.

Thanks for stopping by.

;)

Edited by OftenWrong

On 1/25/2024 at 5:02 PM, OftenWrong said:

You people have known this and have been saying so for decades.  And yet to this day you still just sit around and watch as we assume complete control over your governments, institutions, economy, media etc - all without firing a single shot in defence of yourselves or your country.

Interestingly enough it's us people who are more willing and likely to stand up to Putin.

This surreal dystopia we call the world is a great example of reality being so much stranger than fiction don't you think?

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 11:10 PM, OftenWrong said:

Something you fail to understand is...well...history it seems.  Centuries of Christian tyrants ruling by Papal blessing or Divine Right, and the millions of people who died as a result of their wars, purges and general brutality, prove everything you just said there is totally clueless.  🙃

12 hours ago, Moonbox said:

Something you fail to understand is...well...history it seems.  Centuries of Christian tyrants ruling by Papal blessing or Divine Right, and the millions of people who died as a result of their wars, purges and general brutality, prove everything you just said there is totally clueless.  🙃

History is long. I was talking about post reformation, the Holy Roman Empire and its laws.

Thanks for stopping by.

45 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

History is long. I was talking about post reformation, the Holy Roman Empire and its laws.

Thanks for stopping by.

Oh I see.  Post-Reformation... Why didn't you say so?  🙄

after all...

On 1/26/2024 at 8:20 AM, OftenWrong said:

You want to say something, be more precise or expect to get picked apart.

Even post-Reformation, it's still a dumb and easily disproven claim.  Leopold II, Tsar Nicholas, Franco, Pinochet...Putin...all Christians, all tyrants, and that's hardly a comprehensive list.  

Thanks for your wondrous insights, as usual...

5 hours ago, Moonbox said:

Oh I see.  Post-Reformation... Why didn't you say so?  🙄

after all...

Even post-Reformation, it's still a dumb and easily disproven claim.  Leopold II, Tsar Nicholas, Franco, Pinochet...Putin...all Christians, all tyrants, and that's hardly a comprehensive list.  

Thanks for your wondrous insights, as usual...

Here's some insight. About 65% of Americans are Christians. 

You're welcome.