Fall Economic Statement Day

Jack9000

The Liberals giving billions of taxpayers' money to merely build some housing after spending years of increasing immigration to unsustainable levels which created the worse housing crisis and cost of living crisis since 1929 is like a husband hitting his wife everyday but one day comes back home from the office with flowers paid by the wife's credit card and expects a celebration.

Edited by QuebecOverCanada
  • Like 2

Just now, QuebecOverCanada said:

The Liberals giving billions of taxpayers' money to merely build some housing after spending years of increasing immigration to unsustainable levels which created the worse housing crisis and cost of living crisis since 1929 is like a husband hitting his wife everyday but one day comes back home from the office with flowers paid by the wife's credit card and expects a celebration.

fair enough I agree on the   immigration being ussustainable levels atm.

1 minute ago, Nationalist said:

All Pixie-Dust really needs to do is encourage local governments to remove the unnecessary administration and approvals for building. But in true Libbie fashion, he'll increase the bureaucracy and spend a lot more of our money.

Lots said about local admin and costs but, fact is, who will then pay for the development infrastructure  and even more, the continuing maintenance of it?

Push it on the developers and builders? Oh, for sure that will lower the cost of housing LOL

Sometime I wonder about folks, it costs what it costs to build and no one, no builder or developer or landlord is going to sell or rent for less than it costs to build or maintain.

9 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Lots said about local admin and costs but, fact is, who will then pay for the development infrastructure  and even more, the continuing maintenance of it?

Push it on the developers and builders? Oh, for sure that will lower the cost of housing LOL

Sometime I wonder about folks, it costs what it costs to build and no one, no builder or developer or landlord is going to sell or rent for less than it costs to build or maintain.

It serves as proof-positive that a slow approvals process, and exorbitant taxes, fees and levies which account for 31 per cent of the cost of a new home, are making the act of building market housing more challenging by the day.

Specifically, the report notes, construction costs have increased by more than 63 per cent, or more than 20 per cent year over year since 2019, making Toronto the most expensive city in Canada to build high-rise residential. In fact, construction costs have increased nearly four times faster than rents over the last three years.

https://canadianrealestatemagazine.ca/news/slow-approvals-and-high-fees-making-it-tough-to-build-housing-in-toronto/

The point is...the costs are silly and much of the costs are these bullshit bureaucracies.

34 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

All Pixie-Dust really needs to do is encourage local governments to remove the unnecessary administration and approvals for building. But in true Libbie fashion, he'll increase the bureaucracy and spend a lot more of our money.

Hahaahahaha yeah that's all that he needs to do.  He just waves his hands and the housing crisis that built up over the last 15 years just goes away. ?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

The point is...the costs are silly and much of the costs are these bullshit bureaucracies.

Yes but....costs are costs and who will absorb them???

Oh and, do you really think the feds have any control over what the municipalities do, charge and say?? If you do, man, you are seriously out of touch LOL

Oh and since 2019, there have also been huge increase in material and labour costs.

Edited by ExFlyer

2 hours ago, Moonbox said:

Hahaahahaha yeah that's all that he needs to do.  He just waves his hands and the housing crisis that built up over the last 15 years just goes away. ?

It would be a move in the right direction and all anyone could hope to accomplish for a gain in the supply...which is what this is all about.

Or...we could do...whatever it is you think...and make things worse most likely.

1 hour ago, ExFlyer said:

Yes but....costs are costs and who will absorb them???

Oh and, do you really think the feds have any control over what the municipalities do, charge and say?? If you do, man, you are seriously out of touch LOL

Oh and since 2019, there have also been huge increase in material and labour costs.

1. It would mean quite a few people would be laid off as the bureaucracies and regulations get realistic.

2. Huh. So if the Fed meets with all the municipalities and says..."This is your yearly federal grant. You get it IF you make required cuts to regulations and actually produce a certain amount of new housing. Call us when you're ready for a review." That would be the fed imposing its will on municipalities. They do this sort of thing all the time. But ya...you know what ur gabbin' about.

3. Again...regulations stunt the supply of materials. Cut the crap and harvest. IMO, construction labour costs are fine. Cut the regulatory crap, lower the cost of more abundant materials like...wood...and friggin' build.

Edited by Nationalist
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

The province of BC is giving this a shot. I guess we'll see how taking on NIBYISM like this goes but notwithstanding tonier neighbourhoods with better political influence, I think it's a done deal.

Just like that, single-family zoning is a thing of the past in B.C.

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/op-ed/riley-donovan-ending-single-family-zoning-an-unprecedented-act-of-provincial-overreach

All the feds really need to do is make it easier for developers to get loans.  I think this should definitely include homeowners who might be able to renovate, produce a rental suite in their home.  Reducing bureaucratic hurdles like building codes and regulations will be a different kettle of fish.

The feds suggestion to use taxation as a cudgel to make short term rental less lucrative of course broaches the topic of taxing income from long-term rentals - of which there are likely hundreds of millions of undeclared dollars already being earned. I suspect going after that will maintain some upward pressure on the cost of housing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moonbox said:

And yet - his idea is still better than yours - which apparently is to whine and pout. :)   I suppose justin could try that too :)

Actually working with the provinces and municipalities and offering incentives is a really good idea and can help. But it's not 'enough' on it's own. we're so far behind it would have to be something a lot more radical than that unless it was paired with basically halting immigraiton for a few years - and even then builders will stop building homes.

42 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

And yet - his idea is still better than yours - which apparently is to whine and pout. :)   I suppose justin could try that too :)

Why are you following me, muppet?  I can go for days without posting here, but sure as rain, you'll always be there to respond when I do.  ?

• Like 1