Pierre Poilievre Press Conference

17 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

None in the world, not just Canada.

False. There are smr's already operating in other countries, especially China and Russia who are well ahead of the new-nuclear game. The west has not built much nuclear in decades, but there is a nuclear power renaissance happening today.

These smr's are not really revolutionary in design however. They are miniature pressurised water reactors. Think nuclear sub reactor on dry land. However there are new designs with gas cooling or molten salt that are now in development. 

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

False. There are smr's already operating in other countries, especially China and Russia who are well ahead of the new-nuclear game. The west has not built much nuclear in decades, but there is a nuclear power renaissance happening today.

These smr's are not really revolutionary in design however. They are miniature pressurised water reactors. Think nuclear sub reactor on dry land. However there are new designs with gas cooling or molten salt that are now in development. 

SMR operational? Validate please.

Not Candu, but SMR.

4 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

"Chalk River, ON – May 12, 2023 – Atomic Energy of Canada Limited (AECL), Canadian Nuclear Laboratories (CNL) and Global First Power (GFP) are pleased to announce that GFP has selected a location at the Chalk River Laboratories to site its proposed Micro-Modular™ Reactor (MMR®) project. "   https://www.cnl.ca/aecl-cnl-and-global-first-power-unveil-the-site-of-gfps-proposed-small-modular-reactor-at-the-chalk-river-laboratories/

"Global First Power has begun the licencing process and an Environmental Assessment for a demonstration reactor at the Chalk River campus in presently underway."  https://www.cnl.ca/aecl-cnl-and-global-first-power-unveil-the-site-of-gfps-proposed-small-modular-reactor-at-the-chalk-river-laboratories/

Not stupid phase, just critical phase.

The site is chosen, the documents filed and awaiting approval, the funding secured and apperently the components are under construction ( apperently they build it in truckable pieces and ship it when they get approval)

You - "nothing's been done, it's all just talk".

If it isn't your stupid phase, it's at least your 'not terribly smart and unreasonably cynical' stage. :)  .  It said right in the gov't release i posted that they were beginning construction, and it will be up and running by 2027 (a year later than predicted - pretty good for a first of it's kind).

And they're looking at 90 other deployments over the next decade or two if this one works out well.  And that's just the micro reactors.

And if PP manages to improve the regulatoin process so these can get approved faster - maybe we'll do even better than that.

This is a thing that's happening. Pretending it's not happening is silly. The designs are in place, components are being constructed, sites have been chosen and are being readied, the regulatory process is well under way and should complete shortly and then this thing will be up and running in just over 3 years.

If things keep going and the industry gets a bit of a boost from the gov't then our nuclear future could look pretty bright.

3 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

False. There are smr's already operating in other countries, especially China and Russia who are well ahead of the new-nuclear game. 

If they're the cat's meow, and China is already building them, then why is China also building so many new coal-fired plants? 

You'd think that, if they're the way to go, and China can build them, why keep smoking your own country out? 

Coal-fired plants make sense out in rural Alberta where no one has ever seen smog before (and where they have been eliminated because.... uhhhh....), but adding hundreds of them in China, where air pollution is already so bad that it's extremely harmful several days/yr, makes no sense. 

2 hours ago, Gaétan said:

We must not vote for wrongdoers like Poilievre or Trudeau who have no regard for human life, let them bring us a guy like Pearson if the Conservatives or the Liberals want us to vote for them.

Nobody is listening to you.we'll be bringing in Pierre Polivre. Try not to cry too hard.

Edited by CdnFox

2 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

Not Candu, but SMR.

SMR is not really a new technology. These are miniature PWR's. Think nuclear sub reactor, although they are being modernized to make them easier to maintain.

You are free to google the info yourself. ;) 

2 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

Not Candu, but SMR.

Russia’s Akademik Lomonosov, the world’s first floating nuclear power plant that began commercial operation in May 2020, is producing energy from two 35 MW(e) SMRs. Other SMRs are under construction or in the licensing stage in Argentina, Canada, China, Russia, South Korea and the United States of America.

https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/what-are-small-modular-reactors-smrs

That was a 2 second search. C'mon.

15 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

If they're the cat's meow, and China is already building them, then why is China also building so many new coal-fired plants? 

You'd think that, if they're the way to go, and China can build them, why keep smoking your own country out? 

Coal-fired plants make sense out in rural Alberta where no one has ever seen smog before (and where they have been eliminated because.... uhhhh....), but adding hundreds of them in China, where air pollution is already so bad that it's extremely harmful several days/yr, makes no sense. 

China and Russia are building power reactors and have put several online in the past year. These are the big reactors I'm talking about now. Absolutely nothing has been built in the west over the past 30 years, mainly due to anti-nuclear lobbyists and groups like Greenpeace. Liberal governments in the west shunned reactors esp. after Chernobyl. Fukushima didn't help elevate the profile either.

I don't prefer reactors as I'm generally anti-technology and don't have confidence that mankind can control it, either near or long-term.

Edited by OftenWrong

2 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

SMR is not really a new technology. These are miniature PWR's. Think nuclear sub reactor, although they are being modernized to make them easier to maintain.

It's not just easier to maintain - the BIGGEST benefit is the safety. Old nukes needed constant input or else they would melt down.  Thats why they were so big - hugely redundant systems for safety.

The new SMR's are designed in such a way that they will safely stop working UNLESS you DELIBERATELY keep them going.  Which means if there's an accident or a cut in the power supply etc, it just shuts down.  No massively redundant systems necesssary.
They also produce vastly vastly less water use and vastly less waste material and even that can be recycled for the most part which means you have a teeny tiny grapefruit sized ball of waste to get rid of instead of barrels and barrels.

Amazing tech. And much cheaper than old reactions. still a lot more than hydro or the like tho, but if you suppliment them with cheap renewables like solar and wind where you can the average cost becomes reasonable.

4 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

OK? LOL 

So far, one plan...... in Chalk River....which is what Chalk River is supposed to be doing by mandate.

Here in NB there are in the planning stages on building an SMR to supplement point lepro, it is years out but the Province is in deep talks about cleaning up our power grid, and instead of revamping the Nuke plant it will supplement with an SMR.

Other territory's are also talking about SMR,s , as they have to fly or boat in massive amounts of fossil fuels to keep generators running, but they are still in the study phase. 

7 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

It's not just easier to maintain - the BIGGEST benefit is the safety. Old nukes needed constant input or else they would melt down.  Thats why they were so big - hugely redundant systems for safety.

It honestly seems like all the attacks on the energy sector here have more to do with hurting our economy than anything to do with a climate crisis. 

Our oil, gas, and coal is under attack here like nowhere else in the world. We're supposed to hate nuclear energy. All that we're supposed to do is buy batteries and green tech from China. 

I think that our leftist politicians have sold out to foreign lobbyists - like the ones who put diamonds under Hunter's pillow. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

The new SMR's are designed in such a way that they will safely stop working UNLESS you DELIBERATELY keep them going.  Which means if there's an accident or a cut in the power supply etc, it just shuts down.  No massively redundant systems necesssary.
They also produce vastly vastly less water use and vastly less waste material and even that can be recycled for the most part which means you have a teeny tiny grapefruit sized ball of waste to get rid of instead of barrels and barrels.

Amazing tech. And much cheaper than old reactions. still a lot more than hydro or the like tho, but if you suppliment them with cheap renewables like solar and wind where you can the average cost becomes reasonable.

Sure, and I have a great deal on some used cars for you. ;) 

Is not how things work in normal circumstances that we need to guard against. It's the unknown unknowns. 

The CANDU is the best design imo because of inherent safety and the fact that it does not require enriched fuel.

Other issue will be security. After Sept 11 they started beefing up security at reactor sites, because terrorist indicated their plans to attack these sites by using planes. The US admin mentioned putting SAM missile sites at each reactor facility. 

We also saw how Russians used the reactors at chernobyl and zaphoriziza to terrorize Ukrainians. In other words, these facilities become a target for terrorists and superpowers who may assign a ballistic missile to aim at their location.

Edited by OftenWrong
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

It honestly seems like all the attacks on the energy sector here have more to do with hurting our economy than anything to do with a climate crisis. 

Our oil, gas, and coal is under attack here like nowhere else in the world. We're supposed to hate nuclear energy. All that we're supposed to do is buy batteries and green tech from China. 

I think that our leftist politicians have sold out to foreign lobbyists - like the ones who put diamonds under Hunter's pillow. 

Yeah - if it ain't wind or solar the left claims we're all going to die if we use it.

And the latest nuke tech is really getting mature, and promises to keep getting better.  But it'll take a long time to make it happen everywhere.

So a REAL gov't that was ACTUALLY concerned about the environment might put a small - SMALL - carbon tax on fuels and use every single penny raised to fund reactor builds in canada. Over 30 years or so we'd radicallly increase our power capacity, move away from fossil fuels for electricity, and have a truely renewable energy source for the next 200 years.  We'll figure out something new for after that :)

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

Russia’s Akademik Lomonosov, the world’s first floating nuclear power plant that began commercial operation in May 2020, is producing energy from two 35 MW(e) SMRs. Other SMRs are under construction or in the licensing stage in Argentina, Canada, China, Russia, South Korea and the United States of America.

That was a 2 second search. C'mon.

Why? When I can get you to do it LOL

Couldn't find your quote though.

Still, we are decades away.

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

The questions was to validate your statement.

Nah, I can get cdnfox to do that for me :)

1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

Here in NB there are in the planning stages on building an SMR to supplement point lepro, it is years out but the Province is in deep talks about cleaning up our power grid, and instead of revamping the Nuke plant it will supplement with an SMR.

Other territory's are also talking about SMR,s , as they have to fly or boat in massive amounts of fossil fuels to keep generators running, but they are still in the study phase. 

My first statement was concerning "planning".

We in Canada can plan for decades, we are real good at planning. What we are not good at is actually doing :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ExFlyer said:

Why? When I can get you to do it LOL

The hell are you talking about? Do what? Wait.... i'm not sure i want to know.  Not that i'm not flattered but no times no to the power of oh hell no.

Couldn't find your quote though.

Sorry - thought i posted the link.

Still, we are decades away.

It's been operational for 3 years and ours will start coming on line within 3.5.

Like... this is what i mean. we often disagee but 90 percent of the time you're at least intelligent in your replies and then you go through THESE periods where you've seen tonnes of evidence that what you're saying is grossly wrong but you just keep at it.

SMR's are in use around the world, and we seem to be at the tip of a wave. They solve MANY of the old problems with the old reactors and do so very well. While there is still some opposition from the enviro-freaks regarding them that opposition is not really holding water any more and as they get built i suspect it'll fall to nothing.

If we're going to have electric cars and eleectric transport and electric trains and planes and replace all our gas appliaces - the energy is going to have to come from somewhere and this looks very promising.

2 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

We in Canada can plan for decades, we are real good at planning. What we are not good at is actually doing :)

we're DOING ffs - they're DOING one right now and it'll be up and running in a couple years - i get your concerns and yes canada does regulate things to an absolute snail pace but this IS happening.

And hopefully PP can speed things up.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Legato said:

Which acts of terrorism has he undertaken?

He supports Israel and is complicit in the actual genocide of palestinians. I know who are the terrorists, you give him a roket with an atome bomb, he wouldn't mind to push the button. We need a decent guy like Pearson. With this guy Canada would be the pet peeve of the world the samething as Trudeau.

Edited by Gaétan

6 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

The questions was to validate your statement.

Nah, I can get cdnfox to do that for me :)

My first statement was concerning "planning".

Well we have had a liberal at the helm for the last 10 years....I hope things are going to get better, I'm not particle religious but i am praying that the conservatives can make some of the changes we need as a country... I'm hoping he puts Canada first and not his political friends like we have seen to many times with this liberal government. I'm hoping we can get infra structure projects done, like pipelines, mines, and other resources to market.. including SMR's placed around the country...it kicks the sh*t out of carbon taxes...