Another blow for freedom of speech in Canada

Ontario court rules against Jordan Peterson, upholds social media training order (msn.com)

"

TORONTO — An Ontario court has ruled against controversial psychologist Jordan Peterson, upholding a regulatory body's order that he undergo social media training.

Last November, Peterson, who is also an author and media commentator, was ordered by the College of Psychologists of Ontario to undergo a coaching program on professionalism in public statements.

That followed numerous complaints to the governing body of Ontario psychologists, of which Peterson is a member, regarding his online commentary directed at politicians, a plus-sized model and transgender actor Elliot Page, among other issues.

The college's complaints committee concluded his controversial public statements could amount to professional misconduct and ordered the social media coaching program – failure to comply could mean the loss of his licence to practice psychology in the province.

Peterson filed for a judicial review, arguing his political commentary is not under the college's purview.

The Ontario Divisional Court has dismissed Peterson's application, ruling that the college's decision falls within its mandate to regulate the profession in the public interest and does not affect his freedom of expression.

Peterson, a retired University of Toronto psychology professor, rose to prominence through his polarizing YouTube videos critiquing liberal culture and his successful self-help book, 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos."

Apparently because he is a retired psychology professor, the court ruled his comments on social media falls under the authority of the College of Psychologists of Ontario.  Bizarre!  I guess his mistake is his comments critique and expose the woke and progressive liberals.  He has become too influential and too many social media followers as well.  The liberal elite will not allow this in Canada.

4 minutes ago, blackbird said:

So?   I thought we had freedom of expression (speech) guaranteed in the Charter of Rights.  I guess not for everyone.  You are ok with that.   Must be a liberal.

I'm OK with a governing body for a profession have subjective codes of conduct for those who can be part of that organization. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boges said:

Peterson is free to have the speech he wants. He's not being jailed or even fined. 

But this governing body also has the right to certify people or not depending on how they conduct themselves. 

I'm actually surprised they even allowed him to save face by doing such training. 

Peterson is a provocateur, nothing more. 

He’s a valuable influencer with a solid professional background.  I think this decision says much more about the politicization of Canada’s professional governing bodies, courts, and courses than it does about Peterson.  Truth-telling has no place in DEI-ESG Canada.

The complaints against Peterson were frivolous and totally political.   They don’t warrant censure.

In our highly sensitive triggered cancel culture, truth is offensive.

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boges said:

I'm OK with a governing body for a profession have subjective codes of conduct for those who can be part of that organization. 

Exactly.  Freedom of Speech doesn't mean I have to accept you.  Professional College can kick people out for saying things that they don't condone.

If you don't like it then don't join.

2 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

He’s a valuable influencer with a solid professional background.  I think this decision says much more about the politicization of Canada’s professional governing bodies and courses than it does about Peterson.  Truth-telling has no place in DEI-ESG Canada. The complaints against Peterson were frivolous and totally political.   They don’t warrant censure.  

He's a demented snake oil salesman who preaches accountability then takes absolutely none for the ldiocy he spews on every topic including things like climate change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Exactly.  Freedom of Speech doesn't mean I have to accept you.  Professional College can kick people out for saying things that they don't condone.

If you don't like it then don't join.

He's a demented snake oil salesman who preaches accountability then takes absolutely none for the ldiocy he spews on every topic including things like climate change.

Stop with your milquetoast sell-out equivocation.  You only affirm whatever is declared by government, courts, and other officialdom.  I get that you’re the establishment, but please.  

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Pluralism is dead in Canada and free thinkers should take note.  

Or alternately... dinosaurs who can't change with the times creak out aphorisms that the kids won't get off their lawn and everybody is g@y today etc.

Big yawn... Dr. Peterson please turn off the lights on your way out...

1 minute ago, bcsapper said:

Why do so many people steadfastly refuse to understand what freedom of speech means?

Not having things go in their favour makes them angry.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Or alternately... dinosaurs who can't change with the times creak out aphorisms that the kids won't get off their lawn and everybody is g@y today etc.

Big yawn... Dr. Peterson please turn off the lights on your way out...

Not having things go in their favour makes them angry.

A million ways to say nothing.  

Just now, Boges said:

Are you restricted from hearing Peterson's opinions? 

He’s being deplatformed professionally, so that the cancel club can say, “I told you so.”   

31 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

[misguided opinion]He's a demented snake oil salesman who preaches accountability then takes absolutely none for the ldiocy he spews on every topic including things like climate change.[/misguided opinion]

Again fixed for accuracy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zeitgeist said:

A million ways to say nothing.  

He’s being deplatformed professionally, so that the cancel club can say, “I told you so.”   

I'm sure he can still see "patients". He just can't say he's part of the professional body. 

Would it be an attack of Freedom of Speech if a Pastor that taught that Abortion isn't murder and Pre-marital sex isn't a sin was fired from a Church?  

Part of being associated with a professional body is acting professional towards the public. Be it doctors, accountants, engineers, psychologists. You get to reap the benefits by a higher salary at the cost of adhering to their standards. This isn't difficult to understand. 

If you want to get that political, then be a politician.

6 minutes ago, Nexii said:

Part of being associated with a professional body is acting professional towards the public. Be it doctors, accountants, engineers, psychologists. You get to reap the benefits by a higher salary at the cost of adhering to their standards. This isn't difficult to understand. 

If you want to get that political, then be a politician.

Or a Social Media gas-bag. Which, I suspect is far more lucrative to Mr. Peterson than being a practicing Psychologist. 

• Like 1

Best thing he could do now is resign from the College of Psychologists Association of Ontario.  They have proven they are not something that should be supported.  They obviously only permit group think of their members.  Anyone who steps outside that box is anathemized and needs to be re-educated, much like in China's education camps for Uighurs.

• Like 1

Just another skirmish in the cancel culture war.  The College of Psychologists is free to exercise membership requirements and constraints, but this court ruling only serves to heighten Jordan Peterson's prominence in the social media space.

Had Peterson's "freedom of expression" views leaned far more to the left, he would be getting a medal instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1