Canadian Defence News

Email reveals that Ottawa told Canada's top soldier not to call budget changes 'cuts'

"Canada's top soldier was told he couldn't use the word "cut" in a memo to soldiers about the federal government's budget plans for the military, newly disclosed documents reveal."

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/email-reveals-that-ottawa-told-canadas-top-soldier-not-to-call-budget-changes-cuts/article_7080ea7a-dc96-11ee-babc-dbcc3e0f74df.html

On 3/7/2024 at 4:23 PM, eyeball said:

image.png.e81c003cb3a350b9306edf2baede070a.png

I like so many other vets have risked life and limb for this country, and in some cases watched a good friend or comrade pay the ultimate sacrifice, or get maimed then had to watch them  fight their own government for medical treatment, or money to modify their homes to accept wheelchairs... These are Canadians that stepped up when our country called....and the best they got is you need to" let it go"...maybe it is you that needs to step on up...walk a mile in their shoes...Ya i get it F*ck that, is what your thinking...

Hard to let it go when you leave so much of yourself on the battlefield both mentally and physically only to come home and be treated like "WE" are asking to much, like some bum on the street....It is not me that needs to let it go....

Maybe it is you that needs to take a second look at how you treat other Canadians...probably asking to much...

• Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 2:27 PM, Moonlight Graham said:

Over the past 3 years more people have left our military than joined it.  That's insane.

I know there's an extra wait for non- Canadian permanent residents because of the extra security checks.

People who are "old stock" Canadians have written of waiting up to two years without being able to find out anything about their status or when they might be called for training.

4 hours ago, I am Groot said:

People who are "old stock" Canadians have written of waiting up to two years without being able to find out anything about their status or when they might be called for training.

This is do to the wall charts and diversity... they need to balance diverse wall charts are why a lot of Canadians are waiting in the wings....I'm really hoping that a change of government will address this...it is going to take years to correct the damage that has already been done...

I think and this is my opinion, that every government department should hire those candidates best qualified for the job, regardless of skin color, religion, sex...and in the military, do we really need people that can not live without purple hair, huge beards, manbuns, or that identify as multi genders all at once...No we don't....there is no I in team .....most standards have been so relaxed now that weight and physical fitness are not that important, we have lots people that are 300 lbs in uniform right now...That is in all 3 elements...army , navy , and airforce....No one is asking the question, do these people pose a risk to other soldiers...try carrying one of these guys under enemy action to get them to safety or medical attention...Sorry man your going to die...becasue you eat to many big macs...

What the military needs is to recruit people that are fit, both mentally and physically for any job in the military...the military also needs to maintain these standards through out their entire careers or punt them...

Promotions should also be based on merit, the best people available should be promoted once again not based on some diverse chart, that needs a purple women, with green tities that indenties as fire truck...those are not merited qualities... 

I find it funney, back in my day, almost everyone in the navy was from NFLD...and every other trade was 4 out of every 10 were from the maritimes 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

This is do to the wall charts and diversity... they need to balance diverse wall charts are why a lot of Canadians are waiting in the wings....I'm really hoping that a change of government will address this...it is going to take years to correct the damage that has already been done...

I think and this is my opinion, that every government department should hire those candidates best qualified for the job, regardless of skin color, religion, sex...and in the military, do we really need people that can not live without purple hair, huge beards, manbuns, or that identify as multi genders all at once...No we don't....there is no I in team .....most standards have been so relaxed now that weight and physical fitness are not that important, we have lots people that are 300 lbs in uniform right now...That is in all 3 elements...army , navy , and airforce....No one is asking the question, do these people pose a risk to other soldiers...try carrying one of these guys under enemy action to get them to safety or medical attention...Sorry man your going to die...becasue you eat to many big macs...

What the military needs is to recruit people that are fit, both mentally and physically for any job in the military...the military also needs to maintain these standards through out their entire careers or punt them...

Promotions should also be based on merit, the best people available should be promoted once again not based on some diverse chart, that needs a purple women, with green tities that indenties as fire truck...those are not merited qualities... 

I find it funney, back in my day, almost everyone in the navy was from NFLD...and every other trade was 4 out of every 10 were from the maritimes 

It is not this government that started any decline in military recruiting. it has been going on for decades. How many "golden handshakes" or FRP's or whatever else have we gone through during our tenure in the Military? All government screwed us.

I think opening up to "purple hair, huge beards, manbuns, or that identify as multi genders" is as a result of no one joining so, they relax requirements and standard. Relaxing standards is also a decades old thing. Remember when we had to reduce requirements and standards to get women to become infantry or fire fighters or pilots or military police or on ships?  Again, you are narrowly focused to Army only when the military is all branches and the relaxing of standards affects all branches.

There are standards that are specific to different occupations, not all military occupations require the same standards.

As far as I know, PER's are still required and are merit based. If I recall, only the Army had field promotions given by Commanders. I sat on quite a few promotion boards and  titties and skin colour were not factors. (in the aviation trades).

Nothing funny about military being from Newfoundland or Maritimes, they were provinces with the lowest employment opportunities. Those were the times where folks did not get paid to do nothing so, if ya wanted to eat, ya had to find a job and the Military was a job (as were oil sand work in Alberta, many many maritimers there too).

Edited by ExFlyer

9 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

relaxing standards is obviously counterproductive 

since young people who wish to join the military a seeking a crucible above all

they are want to be pushed beyond their limits, held to an elite standard therein

that's the whole point of the Canadian profession of arms

Shock Troops of the Empire,

from Queenston Heights to Ridgeway

from the Ypres Salient to Juno Beach

from Kapyong to Kandahar

Vigilamus Pro Te

What a load of crap.

You have no soldiers because no one wants to be a soldier....period.

Just like no one wants to be an Airman or Sailor.

Edited by ExFlyer

On 3/7/2024 at 3:02 PM, eyeball said:

You guys should become mercenaries or something.

the French Foreign Legion is arguably the only formation left in the Western world which has not yet gone Woke 

all you have to do is report to Aubagne, then pass their brutal indoctrination by sheer will

Legio Patria Nostra

5 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

What a load of crap.

that's not true

I know many white male heterosexual Zoomers in the logistics & construction industry

they are supremely fit & tough, all perfect candidates for CANSOFCOM never mind RCIC

but they all say the same thing

they would have joined the military by now

except it has become a far left wing extremist Woke Communist lunatic asylum

they actually lament it, they wish they could have joined the army that I joined back in the 80's

but they are simply not willing to kill & die for Justin Trudeau's Post National State

they say they are cursed to live in a Canada which has gone insane

32 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

the French Foreign Legion is arguably the only formation left in the Western world which has not yet gone Woke

Yeah, I kind of got that impression in the Siege of Bagotville.

all you have to do is report to Aubagne, then pass their brutal indoctrination by sheer will

I thought you just had to be a Comatose brute. How hard can it be?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

that's not true

I know many white male heterosexual Zoomers in the logistics & construction industry

they are supremely fit & tough, all perfect candidates for CANSOFCOM never mind RCIC

but they all say the same thing

they would have joined the military by now

except it has become a far left wing extremist Woke Communist lunatic asylum

they actually lament it, they wish they could have joined the army that I joined back in the 80's

but they are simply not willing to kill & die for Justin Trudeau's Post National State

they say they are cursed to live in a Canada which has gone insane

So doogie, why are they not in the Army??

It is all crap. No one wants to be a soldier...except in your video games LOL

So, if they are cursed...move  on.

6 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I was under the impression their motto was run away.

the French Foreign Legion: haunted men from everywhere, fighting anywhere, dying for causes not their own. Legionnaires need war, certainly, and Afghanistan is winding down. But there’s always the hopeless battle against rogue gold miners in French Guiana . . .

https://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2012/12/french-foreign-legion-expendables

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

the French Foreign Legion: haunted men from everywhere, fighting anywhere, dying for causes not their own. Legionnaires need war, certainly, and Afghanistan is winding down. But there’s always the hopeless battle against rogue gold miners in French Guiana . . .

https://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2012/12/french-foreign-legion-expendables

having served alongside Legionnaires of the 2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment

I did not find them to be haunted at all

quite the opposite in fact

as they had surrendered their identities to their regiments

fully embracing the profession of arms therein

they were quite liberated actually

all that mattered was the Legion, the Colours, the Brotherhood

so they were in fact serene, unburdened by any concerns other than valour in the face of the enemy

their esprit de corps was indomitable, like a religion unto itself

Canada did once recruit a formation with such a religion

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry

raised by Andrew Hamilton Gault on 10 August 1914

Commissioned by Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught & Starthaern

The Right Honorable Governor General of Canada, third son of Queen Victoria

in the name of his daughter, Princess Patricia, to become Lady Patricia Mountbatten

whom woved the regimental colour with her own hand

the Ric-A-Dam-Doo ; Cloth of Our Mother

for a unit of Boer War veterans, one thousand of them recruited in just ten days

to fight on the Western Front for George V,  The Peoples King

Victoria Patricia

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dougie93 said:

having served alongside Legionnaires of the 2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment

I did not find them to be haunted at all

quite the opposite in fact

as they had surrendered their identities to their regiments

fully embracing the profession of arms therein

they were quite liberated actually

all that mattered was the Legion, the Colours, the Brotherhood

so they were in fact serene, unburdened by any concerns other than valour in the face of the enemy

their esprit de corps was indomitable, like a religion unto itself

Who except you gives a rats a$$ about the french foreign legion?

Bottom line is out Army is short of personnel. With  bitter and twisted basement dwelling part timers like you doing nothing but sh1t all over out military and post videos of hundreds of years old army crap, how do you think they are going to recruit?

8 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

It is not this government that started any decline in military recruiting. it has been going on for decades. How many "golden handshakes" or FRP's or whatever else have we gone through during our tenure in the Military? All government screwed us.

I think opening up to "purple hair, huge beards, manbuns, or that identify as multi genders" is as a result of no one joining so, they relax requirements and standard. Relaxing standards is also a decades old thing. Remember when we had to reduce requirements and standards to get women to become infantry or fire fighters or pilots or military police or on ships?  Again, you are narrowly focused to Army only when the military is all branches and the relaxing of standards affects all branches.

There are standards that are specific to different occupations, not all military occupations require the same standards.

As far as I know, PER's are still required and are merit based. If I recall, only the Army had field promotions given by Commanders. I sat on quite a few promotion boards and  titties and skin colour were not factors. (in the aviation trades).

Nothing funny about military being from Newfoundland or Maritimes, they were provinces with the lowest employment opportunities. Those were the times where folks did not get paid to do nothing so, if ya wanted to eat, ya had to find a job and the Military was a job (as were oil sand work in Alberta, many many maritimers there too).

It might have started in previous governments but this recent liberal government put the nail in the coffins...Purple hair and manbuns has already proven that it is not working it is a failed experiment, it is not attracting the type of people the military needs....

I don't recall focussing on one element, i did use the word military , which includes all 3 elements...it is important to have tough physical fitness standards in ALL 3 elements, it helps with enduring heat, long hours, hard physical work...when was the last time you seen a 300 lb SAR tech...might be a reason for that...They have their own fitness levels, much different than say what you find in a herc sqn...or in the Infantry, there is a forces fitness level, which anyone can pass, 

The entire military has one fitness standard, on top of that each element has their own fitness standards, getting to a combat unit and you'll find they also have their own standards...why because the CF standards are to low...the Army standard is to low...And to be in combat you need to be fit both mentally and physically...regardless of element you serve in...A supply tech, Admin clerk, traffic tech, in the field still needs to do the same stuff as an infanteer, dig holes, shoot, move, communicate...in all weather and climates...that requires to be fit...those that are not are going to be a safety issue for all the others...

Army commanders are only allowed to promote PTES to one hookers on their own accord..., everything else is done through the Career manger...No exceptions...no message no promotion...

PER merit boards are a not the end all be all, lots of politics and who you know goes into one....and if the senior staff decide that sugar tits is get promoted before joe blow thats what happens...It use to be if your boss knew how to write and was creative you stood a chance, now there is no more than one short sentence per bullet point, no stories, just straight to the point....nothing is what it use to be...

Can't talk about air trades, but today everyone in all elements use the same system, as for the old system you talk about was proven not to be fair...it was more about who you knew and what weight they held within that unit...and if you could convince they majority sitting around the table that your guy was the best, he got promoted...if your boss was not a very good orator or could not make a convincing argument then that soldier did not do well at the boards...unless another person stood up for that individual...which does not happen that often, but it does happen...

What i found funney is nothing has changed in the maritimes times are tough, and they are not flocking to the recruiting centers, becasue the military offers very little, compared to out west..for the same reason no one else is flocking to recruiting centers, government has painted the military as womanizers,a poisoned environment, where charts and boards rule who gets in and who gets promoted...pay is below the average canadian wage, the equipment sucks, discipline has gotten bad, Snr ncos are being threaten with harassments if they dare discipline any soldiers... and people are leaving faster than they can be replaced.... the military is not competitive with other jobs across the country.....

Not sure what to tell you the military you left is not even recognizable today...take 2 RCR as an example they have a company and a half in LATVIA, and 90 troops in Gagetown, most of those 90 troops in Gagetown have their releases in today....those in Latvia were told to wait until they got home, and a good chunk of them are getting out...thats one unit...every unit is having major issues.... You mentioned Air craft maintainers, i talked to a Airframe tech working in cold lake on CF-18's over the xmas holidays they are short about a 1/3 of their people to keep jets flying...he says they are burning out, working 10 to 12 hours a day...just to keep up...

some of those sources i gave you mentioned a 50 percent serviceability rate with some aircraft below that number , while you were in ever seen numbers that low...in the BN we had LAV serviceability rates as low as 30 to 40 percent, maintainers would work over the weekends and long work weeks to get us up so we could send one company out with a full compliment of LAVS, there are 3 rifle companies per BN...and we could only fill one companies worth of vehicles and soldiers...we use to get to the exercise in school buses, thats right yellow school busses it is a good look for the Army...And you know what the media has covered all of this ....i don't think a day goes by when the media has a story on our military...Army, Navy, Air Force

your military s long dead...Mine military as i retired in 2015 is dead as well... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

What a load of crap.

Just like no one wants to be an Airman or Sailor.

Why would they want to be in the military, your treated like crap, your own countrymen pis$ all over you, we can't even treat our vets with respect, much less treat them for their medical needs....Our own government has nothing but bad things to say about them day after day....Canadians don't care ....or at least refuse to stand up and correct it all....It is not that they don't want to join the military, it is they don't want all the drama that goes with serving..

12 hours ago, Army Guy said:

It might have started in previous governments but this recent liberal government put the nail in the coffins...Purple hair and manbuns has already proven that it is not working it is a failed experiment, it is not attracting the type of people the military needs....

I don't recall focussing on one element, i did use the word military , which includes all 3 elements...it is important to have tough physical fitness standards in ALL 3 elements, it helps with enduring heat, long hours, hard physical work...when was the last time you seen a 300 lb SAR tech...might be a reason for that...They have their own fitness levels, much different than say what you find in a herc sqn...or in the Infantry, there is a forces fitness level, which anyone can pass, 

The entire military has one fitness standard, on top of that each element has their own fitness standards, getting to a combat unit and you'll find they also have their own standards...why because the CF standards are to low...the Army standard is to low...And to be in combat you need to be fit both mentally and physically...regardless of element you serve in...A supply tech, Admin clerk, traffic tech, in the field still needs to do the same stuff as an infanteer, dig holes, shoot, move, communicate...in all weather and climates...that requires to be fit...those that are not are going to be a safety issue for all the others...

Army commanders are only allowed to promote PTES to one hookers on their own accord..., everything else is done through the Career manger...No exceptions...no message no promotion...

PER merit boards are a not the end all be all, lots of politics and who you know goes into one....and if the senior staff decide that sugar tits is get promoted before joe blow thats what happens...It use to be if your boss knew how to write and was creative you stood a chance, now there is no more than one short sentence per bullet point, no stories, just straight to the point....nothing is what it use to be...

Can't talk about air trades, but today everyone in all elements use the same system, as for the old system you talk about was proven not to be fair...it was more about who you knew and what weight they held within that unit...and if you could convince they majority sitting around the table that your guy was the best, he got promoted...if your boss was not a very good orator or could not make a convincing argument then that soldier did not do well at the boards...unless another person stood up for that individual...which does not happen that often, but it does happen...

What i found funney is nothing has changed in the maritimes times are tough, and they are not flocking to the recruiting centers, becasue the military offers very little, compared to out west..for the same reason no one else is flocking to recruiting centers, government has painted the military as womanizers,a poisoned environment, where charts and boards rule who gets in and who gets promoted...pay is below the average canadian wage, the equipment sucks, discipline has gotten bad, Snr ncos are being threaten with harassments if they dare discipline any soldiers... and people are leaving faster than they can be replaced.... the military is not competitive with other jobs across the country.....

Not sure what to tell you the military you left is not even recognizable today...take 2 RCR as an example they have a company and a half in LATVIA, and 90 troops in Gagetown, most of those 90 troops in Gagetown have their releases in today....those in Latvia were told to wait until they got home, and a good chunk of them are getting out...thats one unit...every unit is having major issues.... You mentioned Air craft maintainers, i talked to a Airframe tech working in cold lake on CF-18's over the xmas holidays they are short about a 1/3 of their people to keep jets flying...he says they are burning out, working 10 to 12 hours a day...just to keep up...

some of those sources i gave you mentioned a 50 percent serviceability rate with some aircraft below that number , while you were in ever seen numbers that low...in the BN we had LAV serviceability rates as low as 30 to 40 percent, maintainers would work over the weekends and long work weeks to get us up so we could send one company out with a full compliment of LAVS, there are 3 rifle companies per BN...and we could only fill one companies worth of vehicles and soldiers...we use to get to the exercise in school buses, thats right yellow school busses it is a good look for the Army...And you know what the media has covered all of this ....i don't think a day goes by when the media has a story on our military...Army, Navy, Air Force

your military s long dead...Mine military as i retired in 2015 is dead as well... 

You may have used the word "military" but your comments are very much Army (and specifically infantry) related.

Fitness levels used to be tested every year,. Don't know about now. Way back when, there were many "300 lb" military people too (well not 300 but certainly well overweight). Clerks, supply techs, vehicle techs and drivers, cooks, aviation tech and so on. Out of shape folks have always been there.

Over my years, the PER system changed quite regularly. It was never a static system.

Lets not re-hash military pay again.

I do not know about Army, let alone 2RCR. I do known that as an aviation tech, our shifts were 12 hours long most of the time, 7 days on, 3 off and 7 nights on, 4 off. Serviceability depends on the fleet and flying requirement. No parts is the primary reason for sitting on the ground. Aircrew wanting to fly (yes, wanting) is another. I have a Godson in Cold Lake (an avionics tech) and he says that even before they bought the Aussie aircraft, they were not buying new components and letting contractors just repair the components. They also are only keeping minimum aircraft flyable as there are not and have not been any tasking in a very long time. I have a guy that used to work for me that is a lead FE at a Tac Hel Sqn. He is also not flying much. Flying to keep up aircrew qualifications is the main reason for flying.

Oh and 50% serviceability is not unusual, especially if you have small squadrons. In my first squadron, 30% was normal. 3 Labradors, one in heavy maintenance , one broken and one on primary standby was not unusual. The Buffalo's were the same. 407  Sqn next door to us was also in the same situation. One on patrol, one in maintenance and one available for training depending what functions were actually working. I remember one year in Edmonton when 447 Sqn was having a change of Command parade and they could not get a Chinook aircraft in the air for a fly past, they towed them past the dias LOL. Their aircraft were on the ground for over a month quite regularly.

Yes, "my Military" is long gone but I sure wished I had the pay back then that they have now. My pension would for sure be better, almost doubled. :)

Edited by ExFlyer

7 hours ago, Army Guy said:

Why would they want to be in the military, your treated like crap, your own countrymen pis$ all over you, we can't even treat our vets with respect, much less treat them for their medical needs....Our own government has nothing but bad things to say about them day after day....Canadians don't care ....or at least refuse to stand up and correct it all....It is not that they don't want to join the military, it is they don't want all the drama that goes with serving..

And ex military do nothing but make is sound worse, crap on the military, cry at all the faults and do not encourage anyone to join to serve out Country.

15 minutes ago, Aristides said:

He's almost 70. I doubt he needs to worry much about what Trudeau does to him. He's got to be thinking about retirement anyway.

What will be more interesting is when younger, ambitious MPs and ministers start talking out of turn, especially the English ones, who might see themselves as in the running to replace him in a leadership competition.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Anyone taking odds on how long Blair stays defence minister?

I don't think it matters

the MND doesn't have any influence in Canada

all military policy decisions come straight from the PMO, made up on the fly

3 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

And ex military do nothing but make is sound worse, crap on the military, cry at all the faults and do not encourage anyone to join to serve out Country.

the military has gone completely insane, literally publishing Communist sedition against itself & Canada

the Wokest institution in the Wokest country on earth, it's a complete & total lunatic asylum

http://www.journal.forces.gc.ca/cmj-23.3-toc-en.html

what retired soldier in good conscience

could recommend that a patriotic son enlist to be a Commie traitor for the People's Republic of Canada ?

it's not like the young men don't know, there's no sense making yourself look like a fool by trying to recruit them

if you recommend joining the military to a Zoomer, he would just roll his eyes and laugh at you

the Canadian military is laughing stock now, but internationally & domestic

41 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

He's almost 70. I doubt he needs to worry much about what Trudeau does to him. He's got to be thinking about retirement anyway.

What will be more interesting is when younger, ambitious MPs and ministers start talking out of turn, especially the English ones, who might see themselves as in the running to replace him in a leadership competition.

He's got his police pension AND his parliamentary pension and has been earning over 300 grand a year for quite some time now - i doubt he'll be relying on the food bank that's for sure.

I would imagine there will be a cabinet shuffle some time this year.  He's tried damn near everything else to stop his fall and the last shuffle didn't do much so he'll probably try it again.

• Like 1