Death

Death? What happens after I die? I reckon that it is like pre-birth, before I was born. I disappear. Hamlet. 

My father believed that, after he died, he would meet all his family members in a grand ballroom

Recently, a student once asked me about "conscience". I answered, "You can talk to yourself." This disappears.

====

Years ago in Sri Lanka, I discussed/asked these kinds of questions with a smart Buddhist woman.

I recall her answer: "You Christians ask such questions. We Buddhists accept the world as it is." 

• Like 1

I think telling westerners that when  you die you just decompose and the end, would be triggering to many.

Easier to pad it with you going to heaven. 

I don't know. I live my life like I  could die tomorrow, with the acute awareness that tomorrow isn't promised. 

I as a result, could be on my death bed in an hour and would be at peace with it.

People thought I was crazy, when I was talking having a will in my late 20's.

My wife is on my life insurance. She's Asian.

She has put her business under her mom's name, in the event she died, so her exes or nobody could take these assets from her daughter.

Focusing on death, eliminates the journey of life.

I guess am crazy. I don't focus on retirement. I would rather make investments now, that if I ever made it to that age could benefit from then. 

I just don't understand the notion of waiting for retirement. Waiting on things.

To me, that's like being alive by name. Reality is you're sleepwalking.

On 6/14/2023 at 1:30 AM, August1991 said:

Death? What happens after I die? I reckon that it is like pre-birth, before I was born. I disappear. Hamlet. 

My father believed that, after he died, he would meet all his family members in a grand ballroom

Recently, a student once asked me about "conscience". I answered, "You can talk to yourself." This disappears.

====

Years ago in Sri Lanka, I discussed/asked these kinds of questions with a smart Buddhist woman.

I recall her answer: "You Christians ask such questions. We Buddhists accept the world as it is." 

DEATH is the very first punk rock band in history. They formed in 1971, and were YEARS ahead of their time.

They were also BLACK.

members of Death

They preceded Johnny Rotten and the Sex Pistols, the Ramones, etc.

11 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Either there is something after death or there isn't. If there is, I will know it and if there isn't, I won't.  What I might choose to believe won't change that,.

Maybe there is and you won't.  Buddhists believe you're coming back as something else with no awareness of the rebirth.

That's at least as likely as all the other fairy tales.

Edited by bcsapper

On 6/14/2023 at 12:10 PM, Perspektiv said:

I think telling westerners that when  you die you just decompose and the end, would be triggering to many.

I don't know. I live my life like I  could die tomorrow, with the acute awareness that tomorrow isn't promised. 

I as a result, could be on my death bed in an hour and would be at peace with it.

People thought I was crazy, when I was talking having a will in my late 20's.

My wife is on my life insurance. She's Asian.

===

As you wish.

On 6/14/2023 at 1:47 AM, Americana Antifa said:

Lots of things about the world can be changed, but that always starts with asking questions. 

I agree.

Life is a process.

4 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Maybe there is and you won't.  Buddhists believe you're coming back as something else with no awareness of the rebirth.

Maybe but what I might believe now will have no bearing on it.

• 1 month later...

I suspect that you don't in fact live your life this way.

On 6/15/2023 at 3:48 PM, bcsapper said:

To Earth...what's the difference? The planet is alive. Consious. She knows we're here. Time however, our measure of it, is meaningless to her. If we sting her...she will react...eventually relative to our measure of time.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't buy it. No one lives this way.

Surely you plan for the future. Do you have kids? 

On 6/15/2023 at 3:37 PM, Aristides said:

Either there is something after death or there isn't. If there is, I will know it and if there isn't, I won't.  What I might choose to believe won't change that,.

When do you first remember talking to yourself? 

(Do you remember talking to yourself before you were born? Is that death?)

9 hours ago, August1991 said:

No one lives this way.

You clearly have never had a life altering health scare or health defects that will seriously affect your lifespan. You survive something you had no business surviving, and will have a different appreciation for every single breath you take. Every single morning you're alive.

Do you have kids? 

Mercifully, none. My wife has a daughter with her ex.

I have zero fear of death. I am more terrified of wasting a moment.

Surely you plan for the future.

I focus on the moments. The journey. 

Focus too much on the plan, and you lose touch with the precious moments you're taking for granted.

My wife is happy she is getting this version of me. I don't allow things to bother me. I don't hold grudges. I am highly forgiving. I don't worry about petty things that slow me down.

I don't expect to be here in a year. I hope I will, and live accordingly. 

Of course I plan, but the devil is in the details. Take care of business in the now and the tomorrow will take care or itself.

11 hours ago, August1991 said:

Here, I disagree.

What you do - it can possibly change things.

So you figure if you're good you might come back as a rabbit instead of a grasshopper?

Well, maybe.  Who the hell am I to argue?

I am the luckiest person in the world. I had parents whom I under appreciated, and a life more blessed than I could deserve. I try to be a Christian, but I like the concept of the Danes and Norwegians of old that we will all meet again in the Great Hall of Valhalla, to drink and tell lies of our greatest battles...or was that the Klingons?

• Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 4:45 PM, Queenmandy85 said:

I am the luckiest person in the world. I had parents whom I under appreciated, and a life more blessed than I could deserve. I try to be a Christian, but I like the concept of the Danes and Norwegians of old that we will all meet again in the Great Hall of Valhalla, to drink and tell lies of our greatest battles...or was that the Klingons?

And so you will Sir.

People grossly underestimate the power of the mind...the spirit...the soul. In what we call "death", time has a very different meaning...if it has meaning at all. If you "believe"...truly "believe" your soul is eternal...your consciousness if you will...then you will go on indefinitely.

Edited by Nationalist
  • Thanks 1