Davos speaker calls for one billion people to stop eating meat, for the environment

33 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

That whole post is so rife with little contextual errors it would take ten pages to begin to cover it.

But let's just start here. If I understand your stance correctly you're saying what you're now suggesting "climate change" is the believe that man's use of fossil fuels is causing or will cause calamities on earth so severe the survival of man is in jeopardy. And you say you have a nearly unanimous  consensus of scientists who are willing to put their reputations to it.

Very well, produce it.

Sure it is. ?

What happens to humans ultimately is largely outside the purview of climate science. How we adapt and attempt to survive, and to what degree we are successful is the realm of futurists. What climate science can do is to study the data of climate, track the changes that are happening and attempt to model the ways in which climate change may disrupt ecosystems and habitats--including those upon which humans rely. 

Anyone who has spent more than a half hour researching the matter can tell you that scientists aren't divided on the matter. There are piles of polls and surveys of the scientific community, but the peer-reviewed work  is most telling. Greater than 99% consensus on human caused climate change in the peer-reviewed scientific literature. 

Abstract
While controls over the Earth's climate system have undergone rigorous hypothesis-testing since the 1800s, questions over the scientific consensus of the role of human activities in modern climate change continue to arise in public settings. We update previous efforts to quantify the scientific consensus on climate change by searching the recent literature for papers sceptical of anthropogenic-caused global warming. From a dataset of 88125 climate-related papers published since 2012, when this question was last addressed comprehensively, we examine a randomized subset of 3000 such publications. We also use a second sample-weighted approach that was specifically biased with keywords to help identify any sceptical peer-reviewed papers in the whole dataset. We identify four sceptical papers out of the sub-set of 3000, as evidenced by abstracts that were rated as implicitly or explicitly sceptical of human-caused global warming. In our sample utilizing pre-identified sceptical keywords we found 28 papers that were implicitly or explicitly sceptical. We conclude with high statistical confidence that the scientific consensus on human-caused contemporary climate change—expressed as a proportion of the total publications—exceeds 99% in the peer reviewed scientific literature.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Infidel Dog said:

Weather, Buddy. Look it up. There was the pacific ocean equivalent of a hurricane that hit Seattle and Vancouver in the 60s. It's never happened since. We were told Atlantic landfall hurricanes were going to mightily increase immediately after one IPCC conference. They went quiet for over a decade. Then they started up again. Has to do with wind shear and ocean confluences. Has nothing to do with how much oil you use to heat your home in the winter.

There's no support for the idea anything listed has never happened before. Even your historical temperature record only covers 150 years.

And the 30,000 years old glaciers that are melting have been melting for 30,000 years.

If a 30,000 year old glacier has been melting for 30,000 years, wouldn’t it be fully melted by now? They can carbon date ice to determine when it froze.

1 hour ago, Hodad said:

You are unbelievably dumb. It beggars belief. Like, this can't be a real person. It's performance art, right?

The planets of our solar system have been "discovered" and identified since ancient times. 

Well.. Neptune was discovered in the late 1700’s, and Pluto in the 20th century, but the other planets have been known for a very long time. 

And… Pluto got a raw deal. But the existence of Pluto hasn’t changed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Rebound said:

Well.. Neptune was discovered in the late 1700’s, and Pluto in the 20th century, but the other planets have been known for a very long time. 

And… Pluto got a raw deal. But the existence of Pluto hasn’t changed.  

I did not know Neptune was quite as recent. That is good learning. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Hodad said:

Anyone who has spent more than a half hour researching the matter can tell you that scientists aren't divided on the matter. There are piles of polls and surveys of the scientific community, but the peer-reviewed work  is most telling. Greater than 99% consensus on human caused climate change in the peer-reviewed scientific literature. 

You're going to have to trust me on this. Over the decade or so I've been interested in this topic I've spent more than a half hour reading both sides of the discussion.

There are more than a few of the study cataloguing papers like the one you offered. They generally have questionable methodology and in the final analysis don't say what you want them to. For example here's somebody who looked closely at yours:

"

Plain text: only 19 out of 3000 examined works quantify the human influence on the climate. The rest obviously do not make quantifiable statements. And even those 19 works do not analyze how the influence was quantified. A quantification of 50% anthropogenic share would already be evidence of the so-called consensus, but in other contexts it would already contradict the IPCC and the judgment of the climate opponent. Although the 2104 works are relevant and describe climate change, they do not even make implicit statements about the human cause. Why not? To speak of a far-reaching consensus of over 99% is truly brazen!"

https://philo.servin.de/wahrheit-und-konsens-2/

And I'm not sure where you got the idea the paper you cite is peer reviewed. The studies he catalogued were peer reviewed but according to what IOP tells me to look for to see if a paper is peer reviewed at their site yours doesn't seem to be.

https://publishingsupport.iopscience.iop.org/questions/peer-review-models-on-iop-journals/

And if we're running true to form the next thing a Climate Alarmist would do would be to tell me my cite can't be considered because he considers them big, fat poopy-heads. Something like that anyway.

Very well show me in your cited reference then where it says a consensus of scientists say climate doom is coming. 

This is important because if you're wrong (and you are) 99% of climate scientists aren't telling us Warmageddon is coming so why do we need all the new regulations, restrictions, governance and societal upheavals? I'll answer that one for you. We don't.

Edited by Infidel Dog

1 hour ago, Rebound said:

If a 30,000 year old glacier has been melting for 30,000 years, wouldn’t it be fully melted by now? They can carbon date ice to determine when it froze.

Ok when heat lands on the edge of a glacier it melts. You've got that bit down. Now let's guess what happens when snow lands in the interior.

Overall though the melting generally, in most cases, gradually but eventually wins out. There are cases of exceptions though where the odd glacier is actually increasing.

20 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

Ok when heat lands on the edge of a glacier it melts. You've got that bit down. Now let's guess what happens when snow lands in the interior.

Overall though the melting generally, in most cases, gradually but eventually wins out. There are cases of exceptions though where the odd glacier is actually increasing.

You’re just making this up. 
The reality is that glaciers on Antarctica and Greenland, and interior glaciers as well, are all melting at extreme rates, which will increase sea level. This will make hurricanes even more destructive to the coasts.  

The NOAA has been tracking both glaciers and the seasonal extents of the Arctic ice caps for decades, and the warming trend is very clear. And it is dangerous to humankind. 

The reason you don’t believe this is simple: You don’t WANT to believe it. Your TEAM doesn’t want to believe it. It’s part of your social identity. You can’t be on the TEAM if you merely believe these basic scientific facts. AND IT WILL HURT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ONE DAY. 

Liberals aren’t saying these things to “win.”  I don’t win any more than anyone else.  The simple truth is that we need to accelerate our use of renewable electricity generation and transition quickly to electric vehicles.  

Edited by Rebound

53 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

You're going to have to trust me on this. Over the decade or so I've been interested in this topic I've spent more than a half hour reading both sides of the discussion.

There are more than a few of the study cataloguing papers like the one you offered. They generally have questionable methodology and in the final analysis don't say what you want them to. For example here's somebody who looked closely at yours:

"

Plain text: only 19 out of 3000 examined works quantify the human influence on the climate. The rest obviously do not make quantifiable statements. And even those 19 works do not analyze how the influence was quantified. A quantification of 50% anthropogenic share would already be evidence of the so-called consensus, but in other contexts it would already contradict the IPCC and the judgment of the climate opponent. Although the 2104 works are relevant and describe climate change, they do not even make implicit statements about the human cause. Why not? To speak of a far-reaching consensus of over 99% is truly brazen!"

https://philo.servin.de/wahrheit-und-konsens-2/

And I'm not sure where you got the idea the paper you cite is peer reviewed. The studies he catalogued were peer reviewed but according to what IOP tells me to look for to see if a paper is peer reviewed at their site yours doesn't seem to be.

https://publishingsupport.iopscience.iop.org/questions/peer-review-models-on-iop-journals/

And if we're running true to form the next thing a Climate Alarmist would do would be to tell me my cite can't be considered because he considers them big, fat poopy-heads. Something like that anyway.

Very well show me in your cited reference then where it says a consensus of scientists say climate doom is coming. 

This is important because if you're wrong (and you are) 99% of climate scientists aren't telling us Warmageddon is coming so why do we need all the new regulations, restrictions, governance and societal upheavals? I'll answer that one for you. We don't.

I didn't say that article was peer reviewed. I said the peer reviewed work is more telling, and that article provides a snapshot of the peer reviewed work. Though I think you and your german blogger misunderstand the point of the article. The article isn't an exhaustive survey or catalog of hard climate science papers. It's a random sample review that provides insight into how scientists treat the notion of anthropogenic climate change in their actual published, peer reviewed work. 

Figure 1.

Get it. Like if you randomly pick up 3K papers with keyword hits for climate change, does it feel like there is a debate about warming or mankind's role in warming? The answer is no. There is virtually zero debate among scientists on those fundamental facts. Get it? 19 of those papers were attempting to quantify the impact, but the majority of papers were not. But regardless of whether a papers was attempting to quantify mankind's effect, many of them include that fact as a starting premise or part of their understanding of reality.

Whereas there is almost no sentiment to the contrary. 

That's the point of such a review: to see the scientific sentiment as reflected in actual peer-reviewed work. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, reason10 said:

Shut the fck up, TROLL.

She's RIGHT and YOU'RE the TOP TROLL who doesn't know the difference between CO2 from biological processes and fossil fuels.

Here's a clue for YOU: biological CO2 like that from termites, is continually RECYCLED and DOES NOT increase the concentration in the atmosphere like burning fossil fuels does.

Bet you STILL don't understand the difference. LMAO

Edited by robosmith

A chairman of WHAT? Does his company specialize in climate technology? I may know science better than some rich bitcch who is probably just trying to impress the liberal chick who is currently blowing him.

Imagine living in a blue state with inferior public schools and graduating a total IGNORAMUS who doesn't know anything?

Wait a minute? YOU ARE.

As a successful Florida substitute teacher, it is not my job to foist my opinions of any lesson plan. I merely present the plan, keep order in the class, grade papers and take attendance.

Oh, by the way BAT GUANO FOR BRAINS what in the name of ZEUS'S BUTTHOLE does my profession have to do with the subject of this thread? Are you just so FCKING STUPID that you can't think of anything else other than to go after my job?  Are you REALLY THAT FCKING IGNORANT?

(I suppose I could attack your profession, but it might seem a little silly attacking your parents for allowing you to live in their basement while cashing your welfare checks and filling their pantry with stuff bought by your food stamp, BEETCH.)

If you actually KNEW about science you'd have a much better job doing research than substitute teaching public schools. LMAO

Thing is you just keep demonstrating how ignorant you are in your POSTS HERE. 

Edited by robosmith

Gee! You get a participation trophy for correctly identifying the substance CO. I guess you'll probably want a college degree for announcing that we are CARBON BASED LIFE FORMS.

This is why so many people laugh at you every time you open that Woke pie hole. You've NEVER actually had to THINK of anything.

I have presented REAMS of evidence proving that (a) 95-57 percent of all greenhouse gasses are WATER VAPOR, and (b) all combined human  production of CO released into the atmosphere is a FRACTION of what is released by TERMITES.

And so you found the word CARBON.

Do you want a cookie for all that hard work?

No, I want a cookie for schooling you in ACTUAL SCIENCE and YOUR IGNORANCE.

What does RACE have to do with this discussion?

(Boys and girls, this has got to stop. I know you children are mostly a bunch of uneducated moe rons, but when you lose an argument you don't look any smarter by calling your superior a racist.)

You have the reading comprehension of a  blue stater, so for all I know you probably think my observations AND THE LINKS I PROVIDED are in another language. How about getting off your lazy, unproductive entitled Woke ass and actually READ the thread and READ the reliable links I have provided. Come back to class when you can keep up.

Florida third graders have better reading comprehension.

Too bad their substitute teacher DOES NOT. LMAO

4 hours ago, Infidel Dog said:

Weather, Buddy. Look it up. There was the pacific ocean equivalent of a hurricane that hit Seattle and Vancouver in the 60s. It's never happened since. We were told Atlantic landfall hurricanes were going to mightily increase immediately after one IPCC conference. They went quiet for over a decade. Then they started up again. Has to do with wind shear and ocean confluences. Has nothing to do with how much oil you use to heat your home in the winter.

There's no support for the idea anything listed has never happened before. Even your historical temperature record only covers 150 years.

And the 30,000 years old glaciers that are melting have been melting for 30,000 years.

Do you have ANY idea what powers a hurricane? ㊙️ It's warm OCEAN WATER.

When the OCEAN gets HOTTER, Hurricanes GET STRONGER.

Strongest hurricanes may have not struck North American land for a decade but they certainly didn't "go quiet."

Here is the list for the last 30 years.

South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
14 11 4 Edwina 20      
Australian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
9 8 5 Oliver 2   Oliver, Polly, Roger, Naomi  
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
10 8 4 Prema 2 $60 million Prema, Rewa  
Worldwide 110 78 44 Koryn 1,928 $4.3 billion 6  
1994 Atlantic 12 7 3 Florence 1,189 $1.93 billion    
Eastern Pacific 22 20 10 Gilma 4 $20 million   Tied for most Category 5 hurricanes (with 2002 and 2018)
Included John, the longest lasting tropical cyclone on record
Western Pacific 52 36 19 Melissa and Seth 1,287 $8.14 billion    
North Indian 5 4 2 BOB 02 418 $240 million    
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
15 12 9 Geralda 484 $165 million    
Australian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
11 10 6 Theodore     Pearl, Sharon, Annette  
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
6 5 3 Theodore        
Worldwide 120 91 50 Geralda 3,279 $10.3 billion 3  
1995 Atlantic 21 19 11 Opal 182 $12.3 billion Luis, Marilyn, Opal, Roxanne Tied for fifth most active season on record
Eastern Pacific 11 10 7 Juliette 124 $31 million Ismael Record inactivity for tropical depressions
Western Pacific 47 24 8 Angela 1,314 $1.2 billion    
North Indian 8 3 2 BOB 07 554 $46.3 million    
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
12 10 5 Marlene        
Australia
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
11 9 8 Chloe 8 $8.5 million Violet, Warren, Agnes, Gertie  
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
1 1 0 William 2 $2.5 million William Featured record inactivity in the basin
Worldwide 110 76 41 Angela 2,184 $13.5 billion 9  
1996 Atlantic 13 13 9 Edouard 248 $6.5 billion Cesar, Fran, Hortense  
Eastern Pacific 14* 9* 5* Douglas 46      
Western Pacific 52 31 16 Herb 935 $6.8 billion    
North Indian 9 5 2 BOB 05 2,075 $1.9 billion    
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
13 9 5 Bonita 109 $50 million    
Australia
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
21 17 6 Olivia 1 $57 million Barry, Celeste, Ethel, Kirsty, Olivia, Fergus Included Olivia, which produced the world's highest non-tornadic winds on record
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
8 6 2 Beti 2 $5.6 million Beti  
Worldwide 130 87 44 Bonita 3,416 $15.3 billion 10  
1997 Atlantic 9 8 3 Erika 12 $111 million   Included one subtropical storm
Eastern Pacific 24 19 9 Linda 261 $551 million Pauline, Paka  
Western Pacific 47 28 16 Ivan and Joan 4,181 $4.59 billion   Most Category 5's on record
North Indian 10 4 1 BOB 01 1,197      
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
14 7 3 Helinda 275 $50 million    
Australia
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
12 12 6 Pancho 34 $190 million Rachel, Justin, Rhonda, Sid  
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
19 16 7 Gavin 59 $143 million Drena, Gavin, Hina, Keli, Martin, Osea  
Worldwide 108 89 44 Linda 6,019 $5.6 billion 12  
1998 Atlantic 14 14 10 Mitch 12,010 $21.1 billion Georges, Mitch Second deadliest season on record

Featured Mitch, the deadliest storm in the basin since 1780

Eastern Pacific 16 13 6 Howard 54 $760 million    
Western Pacific 30 16 8 Zeb 924 $951 million    
North Indian 12 6 3 ARB 02 10,212 $3 billion    
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
20 5 1 Anacelle 88      
Australia
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
13 11 6 Thelma 3 $8 million Katrina  
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
18 12 6 Ron and Susan 35 $33.6 million Martin, Osea, Ron, Susan  
Worldwide 117 77 40 Zeb, Ron, and Susan 23,326 $25.8 billion 5  
1999 Atlantic 16 12 8 Floyd 195 $8.2 billion Floyd, Lenny  
Eastern Pacific 14 9 6 Dora 16      
Western Pacific 45 20 5 Bart 976 $18.4 billion    
North Indian 8 4 3 BOB 06 15,780 $5 billion   Included the strongest tropical cyclone on record in the Bay of Bengal
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
11 7 2 Evrina 2 $800 million    
Australia
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
12 9 6 Gwenda 6 $250 million (AUD) Rona, Elaine, Gwenda, John Included the strongest tropical cyclone on record in the basin
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
20 7 3 Dani        
Worldwide 117 62 32 Gwenda 16,975 $32.6 billion 6  
2000 Atlantic 19 15 8 Keith 79 $1.2 billion Keith Included one subtropical storm
Eastern Pacific 22 19 6 Carlotta 27 $84 million    
Western Pacific 51 23 13 Bilis 467 $7.11 billion    
North Indian 6 5 2 BOB 05 238 $185 million    
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
16 8 4 Hudah 1,044 $800 million   Included one subtropical depression with gale-force winds
Australia
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
13 12 7 Paul 0 $150 million (AUD) Steve, Tessi, Rosita, Sam  
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
19 6 4 Kim 1      
Worldwide 121 85 42 Hudah 1,856 $9.5 billion 5  
2001 Atlantic 17 15 9 Michelle 105 $7.1 billion Allison, Iris, Michelle  
Eastern Pacific 19 15 8 Juliette 13 $401 million Adolph  
Western Pacific 45 26 16 Faxai 1,287 $2.3 billion Vamei  
North Indian 6 4 1 ARB 01 108 $104 million    
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
13 8 4 Ando 4      
Australia
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
13 10 2 Walter     Abigail  
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
10 6 2 Waka 8 $52 million Paula, Sose, Trina, Waka  
Worldwide 119 82 42 Faxai 1,525 $9.9 billion 10  
2002 Atlantic 14 12 4 Isidore 53 $2.6 billion Isidore, Lili  
Eastern Pacific 21 16 8 Kenna 7 $101 million Kenna Tied for most Category 5 hurricanes (with 1994 and 2018)
Western Pacific 44 26 15* Fengshen 725 $9.5 billion Chataan, Rusa, Pongsona  
North Indian 7 4 0 BOB 04 182 $25 million    
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
15 13 10 Hary 106 $290 million    
Australia
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
10 8 3 Chris 19 $1 million (AUD) Chris  
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
16 4 2 Zoe     Zoe  
Worldwide 124 80 40 Zoe 1,092 $12.5 billion 8  
2003 Atlantic 21 16 7 Isabel 92 $4.4 billion Fabian, Isabel, Juan  
Eastern Pacific 17 16 7 Nora 23 $129 million    
Western Pacific 45 21 14 Maemi 360 $5.7 billion Yanyan, Imbudo, Maemi  
North Indian 7 3 1 ARB 06 358 $163 million    
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
13 12 7 Kalunde 115 $3 million   Included one subtropical depression with hurricane-force winds
Australia
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
12 11 5 Inigo 60 $12 million Erica, Inigo, Included the cyclone tied for the most intense in the Australian basin
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
16 9 7 Erica 23 $293 million Ami, Beni, Cilla, Heta  
Worldwide 131 88 48 Inigo 1,031 $10.7 billion 12  
2004 Atlantic 16 15 9 Ivan 3,100+ $60.1 billion Charley, Frances, Ivan, Jeanne Included one subtropical storm
Eastern Pacific 18 12 6 Javier        
Western Pacific 45 29 19 Chaba 2,428 $18.1 billion Sudal, Tingting, Rananim  
North Indian 9 4 1 BOB 01 587 $130 million   First season with named cyclonic storms
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
18 9 5 Gafilo 396 $250 million   Included the strongest cyclone on record in the basin
Australia
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
10 9 3 Fay   $22 million (AUD) Monty, Fay  
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
15 3 1 Ivy 15 $7.8 million Ivy  
South Atlantic 1 1 1 Catarina 3 $350 million   First hurricane on record to strike Brazil
Worldwide 129 80 44 Gafilo 6,529 $78.9 billion 10  
2005 Atlantic 31 28 15 Wilma 2,280+ $180 billion Dennis, Katrina, Rita, Stan, Wilma Second costliest hurricane season on record
Second most storms

Tied (with 2020) for most hurricanes and major hurricanes
Most tropical cyclones and Category 5's (4) in one season
Most retired names
Only year to use the Greek alphabet until 2020. Featured Wilma, the strongest storm on record in the basin

Featured Katrina, tied as costliest storm on record
Included 1 subtropical storm and 1 subtropical depression

Eastern Pacific 17 15 7 Kenneth 6 $12 million    
Western Pacific 33 24 13 Haitang 436 $7.6 billion Matsa, Nabi, Longwang  
North Indian 12 3 0 Pyarr 273 $21.4 million    
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
19 8 3 Juliet 78      
Australia
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
14 10 6 Ingrid     Harvey, Ingrid  
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
17 8 5 Percy   $55 million Meena, Nancy, Olaf  
Worldwide 141 94 49 Wilma 3,073 $188 billion 13  
2006 Atlantic 10 10 5 Gordon and Helene 14 $500 million    
Eastern Pacific 25 19 11 Ioke 14 $355 million Ioke  
Western Pacific 40* 24* 15* Yagi 3,886 $14.4 billion Chanchu, Bilis, Saomai, Xangsane, Durian  
North Indian 12 3 1 Mala 623 $6.7 million    
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
11 8 3 Carina 59      
Australian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
16 11 7 Glenda 1 $808 million Clare, Larry, Glenda, Monica  
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
20 7 5 Xavier        
Worldwide 132 80 46 Yagi & Glenda 4,597 $16 billion 10  
2007 Atlantic 17 15 6 Dean 423 $3 billion Dean, Felix, Noel Included one subtropical storm
Includes two Category 5 Hurricanes (Dean and Felix) that made landfall
Eastern Pacific 15 11 4 Flossie 42 $80 million    
Western Pacific 34 24 14 Sepat 388 $7.5 billion    
North Indian 11 4 2 Gonu 16,248 $9.7 billion    
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
17 11 6 Dora and Favio 172 $337 million   Included the 2nd wettest tropical cyclone on record
Australia
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
13 9 4 George 152 $87.1 million George, Guba  
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
12 5 1 Daman 4   Cliff, Daman  
Worldwide 115 87 37 George 17,429 $20.7 billion 7  
2008 Atlantic 17 16 8 Ike 1,047 $49.5 billion Gustav, Ike, Paloma Only year on record in which a major hurricane existed in every month from July through November
Eastern Pacific 19 17 7 Norbert 45 $152 million Alma  
Western Pacific 40 22 11 Jangmi 1,936 $5.9 billion    
North Indian 10 4 1 Nargis 138,927 $14.7 billion   Second-costliest North Indian cyclone season on record
Included 6th deadliest tropical cyclone on record
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
12 10 9 Hondo 123 $38 million    
Australian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
14 7 3 Billy 1 $22.4 million Helen  
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
13 7 1 Funa 12 $64.2 million Gene  
Worldwide 124 83 40 Jangmi 142,091 $70.3 billion 6  
2009 Atlantic 11 9 3 Bill 9 $58 million    
Eastern Pacific 23 20 8 Rick 16 $188 million    
Western Pacific 41* 22 13 Nida 2,348 $10.5 billion Morakot, Ketsana, Parma  
North Indian 8 4 0 Aila 421 618 million    
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
15 11 4 Cleo 29      
Australian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
17 9 3 Hamish 2 $123 million Hamish, Laurence  
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
14 5 0 Lin and Mick 6 $64.2 million Mick  
Worldwide 126 78 31 Nida 2,831 $11.5 billion 6  
2010 Atlantic 21 19 12 Igor 314 $4.53 billion Igor, Tomas Tied for fifth most active season on record
Tied for second most hurricanes in a season on record
Eastern Pacific 13* 8 3 Celia 268 $1.62 billion   Least active Pacific hurricane season on record tied with 1977
Western Pacific 29 14 7 Megi 384 $2.96 billion Fanapi Quietest Pacific typhoon season on record
North Indian 8 6 5 Giri 402 $2.99 billion    
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
11 7 4 Edzani 85      
Australia
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
15 9[nb 3] 3 Ului 4 $758 million Magda  
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
12 7
Atlantic 20 19 7 Ophelia 114 $18.6 billion Irene Tied for fifth most active season on record
Eastern Pacific 13 11 10 Dora 43 $204 million    
Western Pacific 39 21 8 Songda 3,111 $7.18 billion Washi  
North Indian 10 2 1 Thane 360 $277 million    
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
11 4 2 Bingiza 77     Included one subtropical depression with gale-force winds
Australia
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
26 10 6 Yasi 3 $3.52 billion Carlos  
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
17 7 5 Wilma 13 $33 million Vania, Wilma, Yasi, Atu  
South Atlantic 1 1            
Worldwide 132 72 39 Songda 3,721 $29.8 billion 7  
2012 Atlantic 19 19 10 Sandy 354 $78 billion Sandy Tied for fifth most active season
Tied (with 2016 and 2020) for most active season before July
Record tying 8 named storms forming in August
Eastern Pacific 17 17 10 Emilia 8 $27.9 million    
Western Pacific 35 25 14 Sanba 2,487 $20.5 billion Vicente, Bopha Second costliest season ever recorded
North Indian 5 2 0 Nilam 128 $56.7 million    
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
15 13 4 Funso 164     Included one subtropical depression with gale-force winds
Australia
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
19 7 2 Lua 16 $230 million Heidi, Jasmine, Lua  
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
24 7 5 Jasmine 27 $333 million Cyclone Evan, Cyclone Freda  
Worldwide 131 89 45 Sanba 3,184 $99 billion 8  
2013 Atlantic 15 14 2 Humberto 47 $1.51 billion Ingrid Included one subtropical storm
Tied (with 1982) for fewest hurricanes since 1930
Eastern Pacific 21 20 9 Raymond 181 $4.2 billion Manuel Costliest Eastern Pacific hurricane season on record
Western Pacific 49 31* 13 Haiyan 8,513 $25.7 billion Sonamu, Utor, Fitow, Haiyan Deadliest season since 1975

Featured Haiyan, the second strongest storm to make landfall on record

North Indian 10 5 3 Phailin 323 $1.5 billion    
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
10 10 7 Bruce 137 $89.2 million    
Australia
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
18 11 6 Narelle 20 $2.2 billion Oswald, Rusty  
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
22 3 2 Sandra        
Worldwide 139 67 41 Haiyan 9,221 $35.2 billion 8  
2014 Atlantic 9 8 6 Gonzalo 21 $439 million    
Eastern Pacific 23 22 16 Marie 49 $1.6 billion Odile Tied for record number of hurricanes with 1990, 1992 and 2015
Western Pacific 32* 23* 11* Vongfong 576 $12.4 billion Rammasun  
North Indian 8 3 2 Nilofar 183 $3.4 billion   Tied for record earliest (with 2019)
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
15 10 3 Hellen 8      
Australia
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
17 9 4 Ita 22 $1.15 billion Ita  
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
19 6 2 Ian 12 $48 million Ian, Lusi  
Worldwide 121 78 42 Vongfong 871 $19 billion 5  
2015 Atlantic 12 11 4 Joaquin 89 $732 million Erika, Joaquin  
Eastern Pacific 31 26 16 Patricia 44 $565 million Patricia Record number of tropical depressions
Tied for record number of hurricanes with 1990, 1992 and 2014
Featured Patricia, the strongest hurricane in the Western Hemisphere
Western Pacific 39* 27* 18* Soudelor 350 $14.8 billion Soudelor, Mujigae, Koppu, Melor  
North Indian 12 4 2 Chapala 363 $379 million    
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
12 11 3 Eunice 111 $46 million   Record number of very intense tropical cyclones
Australia
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
14 7 6 Marcia 2 $732 million Lam, Marcia  
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
19 8 2 Pam 17 $360 million Pam, Ula  
Worldwide 136 92 49 Patricia 976 $17.6 billion 11  
2016 Atlantic 16 15 7 Matthew 748 $16.1 billion Matthew, Otto Tied (with 2012 and 2020) for most active season before July

Featured Matthew, the first Category 5 in 9 years

Eastern Pacific 23* 22* 13 Seymour 11 $95.8 million   Earliest season on record
Western Pacific 51 26 13 Meranti 972 $18.9 billion Meranti, Sarika, Haima, Nock-ten  
North Indian 9 4 1 Vardah 401 $717 million    
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
8 6 3 Fantala 13 $4.5 million   Included one subtropical depression with gale-force winds
Australia
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
19 4 0 Stan       Featured record inactive season
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
16 6 4 Winston 49 $1.4 billion Winston Costliest season on record

Featured Winston, the strongest storm on record in the Southern Hemisphere

Worldwide 140 81 41 Winston 2,194 $43.7 billion 7  
2017 Atlantic 18 17 10 Maria 3,364 $282 billion Harvey, Irma, Maria, Nate Costliest hurricane season on record
Highest rainfall produced by a tropical cyclone in the United States and its territories
First-ever three Category 4 U.S. hurricane landfalls in a single season
Second season to feature multiple Category 5 landfalls after 2007

Featured Harvey, tied as most costly storm on record

Eastern Pacific 20 18 9 Fernanda 45 $69 million    
Western Pacific 41 27 11 Lan 860 $14.3 billion Hato, Kai-tak, Tembin  
North Indian 10 3 1 Ochki 834 $3.65 billion    
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
8 5 3 Enawo 449 $272 million    
Australia
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
28 11 3 Ernie 57 $2.82 billion Debbie  
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
20 4 2 Donna 3 $48 million Cook, Donna  
Worldwide 141 85 39 Maria 2,698 $303 billion 10  
2018 Atlantic 16 15 8 Michael 173 $49.9 billion Florence, Michael Included one subtropical storm
Eastern Pacific 26 23 13 Walaka 52 $1.57 billion   Tied for most Category 5 hurricanes (with 1994 and 2002)
Western Pacific 44* 29* 13 Kong-rey & Yutu 771 $18.4 billion Rumbia, Mangkhut, Yutu  
North Indian 14 7 3 Mekunu 343 $4.3 billion    
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
13 12 8 Cilida 35 $59 million    
Australia
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
27 11 3 Marcus 1 $190 million Marcus  
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
16 8 3 Gita 11 $337 million Gita, Josie, Keni  
Worldwide 150 104 51 Kong-rey & Yutu 1,497 $74.9 billion 8  
2019 Atlantic 20 18 6 Dorian 98 $12 billion Dorian Included Hurricane Dorian, tied for the highest sustained winds at landfall
Eastern Pacific 21 19 7 Barbara 7 $16.1 million   Latest date for the first depression to form since reliable records began in 1971
Western Pacific 52 29 17 Halong 388 $34.1 billion Lekima, Faxai, Hagibis, Kammuri, Phanfone Costliest season on record.
North Indian 12* 8* 6 Kyarr 173 $11.5 billion   Tied for record earliest (with 2014)
Featured record number of very intense tropical cyclones
Featured Cyclone Kyarr, the strongest tropical cyclone on record in the Arabian Sea
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
15* 13* 11 Ambali 1,095 $2 billion   Record storms, cyclones, and intense tropical cyclones in a single season
Costliest season
Australia
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
16 8 5 Veronica 14 $1.72 billion Trevor, Veronica  
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
11 6 3 Pola   $1.43 million    
South Atlantic 2 2 0 Iba        
Worldwide 143 105 56 Halong 2,090 $60.6 billion    
2020 Atlantic 31 30 14 Iota 417 $51.146 billion Laura, Eta, Iota Most active Atlantic hurricane season in recorded history

Tied (with 2012 and 2016) for most active season on record before July Most amount of storms forming in September on record (10)

Eastern Pacific 21 17 4 Marie 47 $250 million   Featured the earliest recorded tropical cyclone east of 140W
Western Pacific 32 23 10 Goni 457 $4.06 billion Vongfong, Linfa, Molave, Goni, Vamco Includes Goni, the strongest storm to make landfall on record.
North Indian 9 5 3 Amphan 269 $15.8 billion   Included the costliest storm on record in the basin
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
7 7 3 Ambali 46 $25 million    
Australia
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
15 7 3 Damien 28 $4.3 million Damien, Harold, Mangga  
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
7 4 3 Yasa 34 $132 million    
South Atlantic 3 3 0 Kurumí 70 Unknown    
Mediterranean tropical-like cyclone 1 1 1 Ianos 4 $100 million    
Worldwide 122 95 36 Goni 1,386 $71.5 billion    
2021 Atlantic 21 21 7 Sam 158 >$55.178 billion   Third most active season on record
Eastern Pacific 12 12 4 Felicia 5 $100 million   Featured the earliest recorded tropical storm east of 140W
Western Pacific 25 12 3 Surigae 503 $2.04 billion    
North Indian 3 2 2 Tauktae 194 $4.94 billion    
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
10 7 3 Faraji 34 $11 million    
Australia
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
22 8 3 Niran 272 $519 million Seroja  
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
10 4 2 Niran 7 $448 million    
South Atlantic 3 3 0 Raoni 70 Unknown    
Worldwide 127 90 36 Surigae 1332 $79.1 billion    
2022 Atlantic 16 14 8 Fiona 337 >$56.65 billion    
Eastern Pacific 19* 19* 10* Orlene 26 >$54.2 million    
Western Pacific 36 25 10 Nanmadol 490 $3.384 billion    
North Indian 15 3 0 Asani 79 Unknown    
South-West Indian
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
17* 15* 6* Darian 376 $312 million    
Australia
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
30* 9* 3 Darian 4 >$75 million    
South Pacific
(Jan.–July/Aug.–Dec.)
11* 5* 2* Dovi 2 >$105 million    
South Atlantic 1 1 0 Yakecan 2 $50 million    
Worldwide 42 20 13 Nanmadol 1,316 >$60.6302 billion

Please point out the decade YOU BELIEVE "went quiet."

Edited by robosmith

o: September 23, 1846
p: November 13, 1846

Neptune
50px-Neptune_-_Voyager_2_%2829347980845%
13th Planet (1846)[a]
8th Planet (1851)
Galle and Le Verrier[29][30]
o: October 10, 1846
Triton
Triton moon mosaic Voyager 2 (large).jpg
Neptune I Lassell[31]
o: September 16, 1848
p: October 7, 1848
Hyperion
Hyperion true.jpg
Saturn VII Bond, Bond,[32]Lassell[33]
1850s
o: October 24, 1851 Ariel
Ariel (moon).jpg
Uranus I Lassell[26]
Umbriel
PIA00040 Umbrielx2.47.jpg
Uranus II
1870s
o: August 12, 1877 Deimos
Deimos-MRO.jpg
Mars II Hall[34][35][36]
o: August 18, 1877 Phobos
Phobos colour 2008.jpg
Mars I
1890s
o: September 9, 1892
p: October 4, 1892
Amalthea
Amalthea (moon).png
Jupiter V Barnard[1][37]
i: August 16, 1898
o: March 17, 1899
Phoebe
Phoebe cassini.jpg
Saturn IX Pickering[38][39]

Those are the time lines for the discoveries of the planets I mentioned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_discovery_of_Solar_System_planets_and_their_moons

You provided a list of MOONS, not planets. You shouldn’t be teaching children if you can’t read a simple table.   The only planet on your list is Neptune.

As I explained, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Saturn and Jupiter are easily visible with the naked eye and have been known for thousands of years. Venus is brighter than any star in the sky by relative magnitude and is so bright that it will cast a shadow on a moonless night. But Jupiter, Mars and Saturn are also very bright and easy to see if you’ve got decent vision. Hint: Mars is the red one. 

Edited by Rebound
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2023 at 3:24 PM, reason10 said:

And this is from a major corporation that the Democrats probably IGNORE when it comes to tax laws.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/davos-speaker-one-billion-people-stop-eating-meat-innovation-environment

Davos speaker calls for one billion people to 'stop eating meat' for 'innovation' and the environment

Siemens AG chairman said the future will bring proteins that are zero carbon, healthier and tastier than meat

A speaker at the World Economic Forum (WEF) called on one billion people to "stop eating meat" to combat climate change. 

"If a billion people stop eating meat, I tell you, it has a big impact. Not only does it have a big impact on the current food system, but it will also inspire innovation of food systems," Siemens AG Chairman Jim Hagemann told the WEF crowd in Davos, Switzerland, on Wednesday. 

He was "inspired" by his 24-year-old daughter who asked him how he could advocate for "zero carbon value chains" and still eat meat products. 

To bring you up to speed on this ignorant hack, here are the talking points:

1. There is no climate change. (For climate change, there has to be MAJOR changes in local weather conditions, which is the very definition of climate change)

2. Termites produce more C02 in the atmosphere than all human activity combined.

3. The largest concentration of greenhouse gasses (which keeps the surface of the earth from resembling the surface of the moon) is WATER VAPOR, which is 97 percent of all greenhouse gasses. (Makes sense, since THE VAST MAJORITY OF THE SURFACE OF THE EARTH IS WATER). Only 29 percent of the ENTIRE surface of the earth is land. (including continents and islands)

https://bettermeetsreality.com/how-much-land-is-there-on-earth-what-is-it-used-for/

4. Out of that 29 percent, HALF of that is used for ALL agriculture. (Growing food.) That means 14.5 percent of the earth's land surface produces ALL agriculture, FEEDING EVERYONE.

https://ourworldindata.org/global-land-for-agriculture

Out of that 14.5 percent, 77 percent of that is dedicated to cattle production.

That means ELEVEN  PERCENT OF THE ENTIRE EARTH'S SURFACE IS DEDICATED TO RAISING MEAT.

The numbers don't lie. But that retard from Siemens (who I guarantee you has a succulent T-bone steak every night for dinner) somehow thinks 11 percent of the earth's surface is somehow outpacing the 97 percent of all greenhouse gasses and somehow changing the climate.

When the WEF globalist elite ilk and our butt kissing politicians decide that they will eat bugs only instead of meat, well, that would help out a lot for the climate. There are a hell of a lot of globalists and their supporters out there that if they would stop eating meat and start eating bugs, then the planet could be saved from HA-HA climate change. Just leave the meat for the peasants. But we should all know by now that it will be meat for the elite and bugs for the peasants. 

The globalist ilk will be flying around the world in their private gas guzzling private jets and they will still be driving their gas guzzling hummers. Like covid 19, climate change is just another radical pile of nonsense and sadly many fools out there will do as they are told.

If you want to start eating bugs, live in a cashless society, and be able to ride a bicycle to work one day, then just continue to sit back and do nothing. That is just what the globalists and our useless politicians want us to do. 

Just like the John Kennedy assassination, the Twin Towers, covid 19, and now climate change they were all just part of a global conspiracy of many conspiracies that goes on every day in the world. Tomorrow, the globalists, our politicians, and the MSM will soon have another crises that they will create in order to try and keep us peasants on their hook. 

7 hours ago, reason10 said:

o: September 23, 1846

Neptune
50px-Neptune_-_Voyager_2_%2829347980845%
13th Planet (1846)[a]
8th Planet (1851)
Galle and Le Verrier[29][30]
o: October 10, 1846
Triton
Triton moon mosaic Voyager 2 (large).jpg
Neptune I Lassell[31]
o: September 16, 1848
p: October 7, 1848
Hyperion
Hyperion true.jpg
Saturn VII Bond, Bond,[32]Lassell[33]
1850s
o: October 24, 1851 Ariel
Ariel (moon).jpg
Uranus I Lassell[26]
Umbriel
PIA00040 Umbrielx2.47.jpg
Uranus II
1870s
o: August 12, 1877 Deimos
Deimos-MRO.jpg
Mars II Hall[34][35][36]
o: August 18, 1877 Phobos
Phobos colour 2008.jpg
Mars I
1890s
o: September 9, 1892
p: October 4, 1892
Amalthea
Amalthea (moon).png
Jupiter V Barnard[1][37]
i: August 16, 1898
o: March 17, 1899
Phoebe
Phoebe cassini.jpg
Saturn IX Pickering[38][39]

Those are the time lines for the discoveries of the planets I mentioned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_discovery_of_Solar_System_planets_and_their_moons

FFS did you even read the link you posted

Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn were identified by ancient Babylonian astronomers in the 2nd millennium BC.[7] They were correctly identified as orbiting the Sun by Aristarchus of Samos, and later in Nicolaus Copernicus' heliocentric system[8] (De revolutionibus orbium coelestium, 1543)

5 hours ago, Rebound said:

You’re just making this up. 
The reality is that glaciers on Antarctica and Greenland, and interior glaciers as well, are all melting at extreme rates, which will increase sea level. This will make hurricanes even more destructive to the coasts.  

The NOAA has been tracking both glaciers and the seasonal extents of the Arctic ice caps for decades, and the warming trend is very clear. And it is dangerous to humankind. 

The reason you don’t believe this is simple: You don’t WANT to believe it. Your TEAM doesn’t want to believe it. It’s part of your social identity. You can’t be on the TEAM if you merely believe these basic scientific facts. AND IT WILL HURT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ONE DAY. 

Liberals aren’t saying these things to “win.”  I don’t win any more than anyone else.  The simple truth is that we need to accelerate our use of renewable electricity generation and transition quickly to electric vehicles.  

Currently the sea level rise is about 7 inches per hundred years. That can be easily adapted to.

When exactly were you expecting to see this massive flooding of the coast land caused by this Greenland/Antarctic glacial melt? We've been hearing these scare stories since Gore. Who by the way bought ocean front property with his global warming windfall money. As did say another true believer of the the democrat party named Biden with wherever his found millions came from. Oh yeah, and Obama. What do they know about Greenland/Antarctic melt that they don't fear drowning in their new multi million dollar beach bungalows?

Edited by Infidel Dog

21 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

Currently the sea level rise is about 7 inches per hundred years. That can be easily adapted to.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says: 

"Sea level along the U.S. coastline is projected to rise, on average, 10 - 12 inches (0.25 - 0.30 meters) in the next 30 years (2020 - 2050), which will be as much as the rise measured over the last 100 years (1920 - 2020)."

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/hazards/sealevelrise/sealevelrise-tech-report.html 

19 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

1. We've been hearing scary climate predictions since the 80s. None of them ever happen.

2. If models could really predict the future modelers would quit the modeling game and make a killing at the track.

3. At current rate of sea level rise the oceans are rising at a rate of 7 inches per 100 years.

1. If you cherry pick the crazy ones, as often happens, and quote those back then yes they don't happen.  I looked at a few sources - not blogs but research organizations have indicated that while temperature predictions are aligning, sea level rise is outpacing predicitions.
2. You CAN make a killing at the track.  Bet the favourite to show.  You're welcome.
3. What is your cite on that one ?

4 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. If you cherry pick the crazy ones, as often happens, and quote those back then yes they don't happen.  I looked at a few sources - not blogs but research organizations have indicated that while temperature predictions are aligning, sea level rise is outpacing predicitions.

First, on the track...you don't have a clue what you're talking about and I'm not getting into why I do, but you should take my word for it. It's one of the four five topics I know more than the average guy about. Betting the favourite to show will give you a pleasant Sunday at the track where you might make enough to buy yourself a cheese burger and a beer. And if you lose it won't be enough to hurt. That's not the way professionals bet though and they are around.

Too bad you're not R&R I'd tell you to take out a second mortgage and take your genius idea to the track to get rich. ;)

Now on sea level rise...

If you use the last hundred years of real world data you're going to get Six years per century to Eight using a period from 1993 . At one time I used to just see 7 per century as the estimate of current rise but those seem to have disappeared. Nevertheless 6 to 8 remains seven as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Infidel Dog