Donald Trump = Diefenbaker

11 minutes ago, August1991 said:

The more that I hear Poilievre, he will never be PM. He's too strident.

Poilievre is nowhere near Harper in 2011. Let alone Mulroney in 1984.

He may be near Clark in 1979.

I think Canadians have finally realized what a silly pup Justin is.

At least I hope they have.

16 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

I think Canadians have finally realized what a silly pup Justin is.

At least I hope they have.

Canadians, urban, single women - English/French - have largely decided that Trudeau and the federal Liberals are good.

Few will vote NDP. Almost none will vote for Poilievre. He's too strident.

=====

In Canada, we don't mail ballots to voters - like California does. In Canada, a civilised country like Finland, we usually vote, cast a ballot, in person in front of people we know.

But in Canada, about 35% of potential voters pay no taxes.

In Finland, voters have skin in the game. It's their country.

Edited by August1991

7 hours ago, August1991 said:

Canadians, urban, single women - English/French - have largely decided that Trudeau and the federal Liberals are good.

Few will vote NDP. Almost none will vote for Poilievre. He's too strident.

=====

In Canada, we don't mail ballots to voters - like California does. In Canada, a civilised country like Finland, we usually vote, cast a ballot, in person in front of people we know.

But in Canada, about 35% of potential voters pay no taxes.

In Finland, voters have skin in the game. It's their country.

Marvie for Finland.

On 2/2/2023 at 6:44 AM, Nationalist said:

Marvie for Finland.

I have been in Finland, Helsinki.

Even in the north of Finland.

======

As I said to my daughter - in French, because I'm Canadian and polite, assuming people often speak English - while riding the Helsinki metro to the airport:

"These Scandinavians have no concept of integration."

"Ils ne comprennent rien de nous autres."

Edited by August1991

Finnish women are one voter bloc.

In America, another.

But as Putin said, "The Koreans will eat grass."

=====

"They would rather eat grass but will not give up the [nuclear] program if they do not feel safe," Putin was quoted by The Associated Press as saying.

He described the bombastic rhetoric being traded between Washington and Pyongyang in recent weeks as "military hysteria."

"[This] will lead to no good," Putin said. "It could cause a global catastrophe and an enormous loss of life."

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/09/05/548676414/putin-north-korea-would-eat-grass-before-giving-up-nukes

Edited by August1991

• 2 weeks later...

What a thread drift.

I reckon that Trudeau Jnr will run and get re-elected in 2025. (Unless events, the federal NDP have no reason to force an election before.)

Trudeau Jnr will run because he'll be in his mid 50s. He'll want a majority. He likes the job. And he'll win because women in Canada, and people who pay no taxes, like him. Federal Liberal organisers will get these people to vote.

By October 2025, interest rates won't matter to people who pay no taxes, and women who like Trudeau Jnr.

=====

At first, I didn't think Trudeau Jnr liked the job. I thought he was more Margaret than Pierre. I wuz wrong about both.

He now lives in a small house opposite 24 Sussex - Rideau Gate. I suspect that he rightly plans to make Canada's PM residence worthy of other places, for example the pink residence in Buenos Aires. 

Edited by August1991

Putin and Korea?

His reference to Koreans eating grass is a reference to any people who has survived for generations, centuries.

We in the civilised West, even the homeless, have no understanding of survival at this level.

=====

It is foolish, wrong, stupid, dangerous for Americans to attempt regime change in Russia.

Reagan had the correct approach when he said to a Russian:

"Tear down this wall."

Edited by August1991

• 4 months later...

I would say both were ‘political outsiders’ in starkly different ways: Diefenbaker, an eccentric career politician from the distant Prairies who worked all his life to change the country; Trump, the privileged scion of a business empire with no serious interest in politics until an opportunity arose to take the top job. Being president was the ultimate grift for him. In terms of process, it’s hardly optimal for any democracy to give individuals with no political experience the chance to become head of government. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2023 at 10:53 AM, SpankyMcFarland said:

... Diefenbaker, an eccentric career politician from the distant Prairies who worked all his life to change the country; Trump, the privileged scion of a business empire with no serious interest in politics until an opportunity arose to take the top job.....

In your view, what's the difference between Diefenbaker and Trump?

In my view, both are one-hit wonders with crazy followings.

====

In 1967 when Dalton Camp finally removed Diefenbaker from the federal Conservative Party, Dief was (born in 1895) about 72. And yet the guy still had followers!

In 2024, when "whoever" finally removes Trump as a Republican candidate - Trump will be whatever age.

In 2044, Trump will still have followers. Heck, Diefenbaker still has followers. It's a cult.

=====

I never voted for Pierre Trudeau.  Trust me, people who understand his thinking, it's not a cult.  

On 11/18/2022 at 11:47 PM, OftenWrong said:

I kinda think Trump is like Richard Nixon.

-Political outsider

- Good at outreach toward China (North Korea) and USSR (Russia)

- Negotiator (Art of the Deal)

- Ended US wars

- Space program

- Term ended in a scandal

Dead wrong.

Nixon was a player. As Nixon famously said, "I screwed up. At the one thing I was supposed to be good at."

Or, "I gave them a sword." 

=====

Trump was naive. As he famously said, "Negotiating with these people is like negotiating with this table." 

• Thanks 1

On 11/20/2022 at 5:10 PM, I am Groot said:

Diefenbaker could read and write. And was an excellent speaker.

Trump doesn't like to read and certainty doesn't write. And his speeches are often incomprehensible rants against presumed enemies.

Diefenbaker cared about ordinary people. Trump cares only about Trump.

Diefenbaker had a passion for freedom and human rights and brought in the Bill of Rights, championed giving natives the vote, and opposed South Africa.

Trump only likes freedom for Trump, and would just as soon end democracy so he could be dictator for life.

Diefenbaker was an honest man. Trump has been a corrupt, conniving snake his entire life.

Diefenbaker also had a vision, something Don boy lacks.

Everything that you say about Diefenbaker above is now said about Trump today.

=====

Years ago, I saw Diefenbaker's car in Sasketchewan.

I recently took a train through Montana. I have taken many trains in western Ukraine.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

Nixon was in politics for decades, was a master strategist and had a general unlikability.

How about we start there for contrasts?

I already "started" my comparisons in my earlier post, so you can address those.

42 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

I already "started" my comparisons in my earlier post, so you can address those.

Sure - let's have a look.

I kinda think Trump is like Richard Nixon.

1. -Political outsider

2. - Good at outreach toward China (North Korea) and USSR (Russia)

3. - Negotiator (Art of the Deal)

4. - Ended US wars

5. - Space program

6. - Term ended in a scandal

1. Everybody is an outsider at some point at the start, even LBJ was.  Nixon was elected to congress, then the senate, then to VP more than 20 years before he finally won his first term as president.   So what do you mean by "political outsider" ?

2. "Good at" outreach.  Nixon's outreach was a strategic coup and started a decades-long rapprochement.  It was well thought out and executed.  Whatever Trump did with NK and Russia... sure didn't last long if it was anything.

3.  I don't know about Nixon's negotiating abilities, but presumably they were good enough to get him on Ike's ticket in 1952.  Art of the Deal was ghostwritten with an author who has been an outspoken critic of Trump, a failed businessman.  I don't know how good he was at negotiating, given the myriad broken relationships with former staff, advisors and longtime Republican figures.

4. Concur.  Afghanistan and Vietnam, for sure.

5. Nixon showed up when a vigorous (also expensive and unnecessary) space program was well under way.  He unwound it, wisely, in his 2nd term.  Trump initiated something called 'Space Force' which is about what a 12-year old would sketch in the margin of his school notebook.  There were concept drawings of space suits, though.  Cool.

6. Concur.  Nixon's crimes were worse, as far as we know.

Likening Nixon to Trump is a stretch. Leaving aside his many faults, Nixon gave his life to politics and there’s no doubting the intellectual heft he and Kissinger brought to any file. However, were they right to go to China? Will we regret their efforts, effective as usual, to awake that sleeping giant? 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

On 6/27/2023 at 8:16 AM, Michael Hardner said:

1. Everybody is an outsider at some point at the start, even LBJ was.  Nixon was elected to congress, then the senate, then to VP more than 20 years before he finally won his first term as president.   So what do you mean by "political outsider" ?

=====

You Americans don't understand this fundamental idea of your founders.

=====

As a Canadian, Donald Trump is like Diefenbaker.

A one-hit wonder.

==

Renegade in Power.  

Edited by August1991
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...