Darwin Strikes Again....

1 minute ago, robosmith said:

1/2 it's a hybrid. Like I said, electric is too expensive here cause of very high rates, and I cannot install solar cause I live in a condo.

I'm in Northern BC and I doubt you can imagine what winter looks like here. Solar panels are useless..let's just say.

• Like 2

Just now, robosmith said:

Does it look like Chicago in 1978 which was the year I left? We had 20 ft high snow drifts.

Worse. No light. Temperatures below -40 F. Snow, snow and more snow.

The useless solar panels are under it all somewhere. Find 'em in the Spring...see if they still work.

2 hours ago, DogOnPorch said:

I'm in Northern BC and I doubt you can imagine what winter looks like here. Solar panels are useless..let's just say.

I live there too and almost every new home is adding them. They DO work under light snow and most people have the brains to put them at an angle so the snow falls off. Don't imply that because they don't work at 100% for 100% of the time they're NFG.

I've used them to charge batteries on mountain tops to keep radios going when the power went off.

Go to an EV show in Prince George and talk to people that actually own one. When the display says you used $24 worth of electricity instead of $86 worth of gas it's not bloody lying to you.

You live in BC and the dumbasses haven't talked us into privatizing hydro so companies could make as much as possible for providing the shittiest service they can get away with.

3 minutes ago, herbie said:

I live there too and almost every new home is adding them. They DO work under light snow and most people have the brains to put them at an angle so the snow falls off. Don't imply that because they don't work at 100% for 100% of the time they're NFG.

I've used them to charge batteries on mountain tops to keep radios going when the power went off.

Go to an EV show in Prince George and talk to people that actually own one. When the display says you used $24 worth of electricity instead of $86 worth of gas it's not bloody lying to you.

You live in BC and the dumbasses haven't talked us into privatizing hydro so companies could make as much as possible for providing the shittiest service they can get away with.

Hydro came with the promise of near free power on a grand scale. Power to the people. As we know that wasn't what happened. Nice lakes though...if you can find a beach.

On 9/16/2022 at 3:44 PM, herbie said:

Why do so many people have solar up there? Is the grid that unreliable? And if so, isn't a diesel generator more affordable, reliable, and capable of producing far more electricity? 

I live in the lower mainland and no one is installing solar power in their homes here. I don't know a single person who has one. 

Then you should get out more often and Don't Look Up or you'll have to change that observation.

Maybe we use them because they aren't noisy, stinky and you have to pay for the fuel. Or because they make FREE electricity and you get to buy less from Hydro. Perhaps some of us just don't want to pollute the air right next to the house.

On 9/15/2022 at 9:40 AM, Rebound said:

Electric cars get charged mostly at night, when there is a surplus of electric power available.  The brownouts occur during the day, when air conditioning units create a massive spike of electric use. 

Electric cars don’t put a strain on the electric grid.  

Electric cars are being towed home all over the nation. When the infrastructure is there...we'll talk. But by then, electricity will be insanely expensive.

On 9/18/2022 at 2:40 PM, Rebound said:

But you've got a hell of a lot of wind, don't you?

Not a lot, no.

What we do have a lot of is natural gas. Plus the hydro-electric projects of yesteryear. They already run at full capacity with any stray excesses sold to you guys...and California still has brownouts.

I suppose we could one-day dam the Fraser River. But that would involve flooding rather populated areas not to mention angering the indigenous folks. But...heh...we've done it before in BC.

Edited by DogOnPorch

5 hours ago, Rebound said:

Really? There’s no electricity where you live?

What a stupid question. 

I recently had to have one of my gas powered cars towed. Since my daughter just finally received the Tesla she bought a year ago, I asked the tow truck driver if he has been towing many electric cars. He chuckled an replied that they get a lot of calls for them. It seems running out of fuel is rather common and no Gerry Can and walk to the closest gas station helps.

Go figure...

On 9/18/2022 at 4:42 PM, herbie said:

Then you should get out more often and Don't Look Up or you'll have to change that observation.

Maybe we use them because they aren't noisy, stinky and you have to pay for the fuel. Or because they make FREE electricity and you get to buy less from Hydro. Perhaps some of us just don't want to pollute the air right next to the house.

Free electricity? Use electricity to generate electricity? Err...

Perhaps...as time passes...the charging infrastructure will be available at all gas stations. If that ever happens...how will the business owners charge for a charge? What will they charge for a charge?

Today...the infrastructure is not there.

2 hours ago, Nationalist said:

What a stupid question. 

I recently had to have one of my gas powered cars towed. Since my daughter just finally received the Tesla she bought a year ago, I asked the tow truck driver if he has been towing many electric cars. He chuckled an replied that they get a lot of calls for them. It seems running out of fuel is rather common and no Gerry Can and walk to the closest gas station helps.

Go figure...

You said infrastructure. 
The required infrastructure is electricity. 

Eventually, the end game is we’ll be able to fully charge one of these things in a few minutes. Then it will be no different than getting gas, when you want to. But I’ll tell you… I have a Prius Plug-in car, I plug it in at night and go to the gas station about once a month. You really won’t miss going to a gas station. You know what else you won’t miss? Oil changes, air filter changes, and brake pad changes.  I just replaced pads and rotors on my Prius after ten years and 165,000 miles.  Electric cars are better. You’ll see once you own one. 

People running out of electricity? They’ll figure that out after getting towed once. 

Edited by Rebound

27 minutes ago, Rebound said:

You said infrastructure. 
The required infrastructure is electricity. 

Eventually, the end game is we’ll be able to fully charge one of these things in a few minutes. Then it will be no different than getting gas, when you want to. But I’ll tell you… I have a Prius Plug-in car, I plug it in at night and go to the gas station about once a month. You really won’t miss going to a gas station. You know what else you won’t miss? Oil changes, air filter changes, and brake pad changes.  I just replaced pads and rotors on my Prius after ten years and 165,000 miles.  Electric cars are better. You’ll see once you own one. 

People running out of electricity? They’ll figure that out after getting towed once. 

The infrastructure is charging stations. But nice try.

BTW...nothing will ever replace the rumble of a big-block motor.

Edited by Nationalist

1 hour ago, Nationalist said:

Nothing replaced the sound of a horse and buggy, either, but we still don’t drive around in them anymore. And we developed the infrastructure of gas stations, which is much more complicated than a bunch of electric plugs. People who can park their car in their own garage or driveway don’t have an infrastructure problem. People in apartments… it’s not so good right now.   

I’m a home mechanic. Currently I have a car in my garage that has the engine and transmission on the floor, waiting for clutch parts.  I’ve replaced all the gaskets except the head gasket. Rear main seal, oil pan, etc, etc.  New water pump, all that stuff I’ve done myself. I’ll never be able to enjoy that with an electric car. But all my friends who have electric cars absolutely love them.  It’s a better technology because all you’ve got is a giant battery, a small electric motor, a cooling system and a hydraulic brake system with an electric brake booster. No belts; it’s all electric — the brake booster, AC compressor, heater…  All solid state and completely silent.  People love that stuff. Besides that, the fastest Teslas are faster than the very fastest Porsches and Corvettes.  Indy 500 may one day be all-electric. 

Edited by Rebound

29 minutes ago, Rebound said:

Nothing replaced the sound of a horse and buggy, either, but we still don’t drive around in them anymore. And we developed the infrastructure of gas stations, which is much more complicated than a bunch of electric plugs. People who can park their car in their own garage or driveway don’t have an infrastructure problem. People in apartments… it’s not so good right now.   

I’m a home mechanic. Currently I have a car in my garage that has the engine and transmission on the floor, waiting for clutch parts.  I’ve replaced all the gaskets except the head gasket. Rear main seal, oil pan, etc, etc.  New water pump, all that stuff I’ve done myself. I’ll never be able to enjoy that with an electric car. But all my friends who have electric cars absolutely love them.  It’s a better technology because all you’ve got is a giant battery, a small electric motor, a cooling system and a hydraulic brake system with an electric brake booster. No belts; it’s all electric — the brake booster, AC compressor, heater…  All solid state and completely silent.  People love that stuff. Besides that, the fastest Teslas are faster than the very fastest Porsches and Corvettes.  Indy 500 may one day be all-electric. 

A quiet Indy 500. Oh boy!

EVs will have a prominent place in the world of transportation...eventually.

Today though...the kinks just haven't been worked out. Where do I charge on the highway? How long will it take? How much will electricity be once the infrastructure is in place?

I grew up in a mechanical shop that my father owned. When I retire, I would love to build myself a proper shop with air and hoists and the works. Then I'd go find old Camaros and Mustangs and the like...tear them all down...send the tranys and motors out for machining...fix up the chasis...load 'em up again...paint them in a professional paint shop...and let my kids enjoy them.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

A quiet Indy 500. Oh boy!

Today though...the kinks just haven't been worked out. Where do I charge on the highway? How long will it take? How much will electricity be once the infrastructure is in place?

I grew up in a mechanical shop that my father owned. When I retire, I would love to build myself a proper shop with air and hoists and the works. Then I'd go find old Camaros and Mustangs and the like...tear them all down...send the tranys and motors out for machining...fix up the chasis...load 'em up again...paint them in a professional paint shop...and let my kids enjoy them.

My friend is a realtor and he's put over 150,000 miles on his Tesla in 3 years, and he's never had a problem. 

14 hours ago, Nationalist said:

Electric cars are being towed home all over the nation. When the infrastructure is there...we'll talk. But by then, electricity will be insanely expensive.

Are they? Cite? 

The infrastructure is your Garage. If you drive more than 200 miles a day, maybe EVs aren't for you yet. But it's feasable for a vast majority of car owners. 

If the Grid is to be taxed, It'll be because of Air Conditioning due to rising temperatures. 

2 hours ago, Nationalist said:

Why should the infrastructure have to mimic Gas Stations. Most EV owners will charge at home. Occasionally use a free public charger because it's there. 

Stage 3 chargers exist for road trips, and they work pretty well. The infrastructure should be focused on Rest stops where people can easily charge for long distance trips. 

Then we'd need to incentivize condos and other aggregate settings where people don't have private parking to include Stage 2 chargers. 

How about a car that can easily beat that dinosaur in a race. 

44 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Check the charger infrastructure near you. 
https://www.plugshare.com/

Stage 3 charging can be done in under and hour, in most cases under a half an hour. So yeah if you're trying to get some place as fast as possible, it doesn't beat Petrol. But it's not that far off. You're likely having a piss and getting some coffee if you're on a road trip anyway.