This is now very little ability to disagree with the Left

On 6/26/2020 at 2:26 PM, WestCanMan said:

Not my fault that you don't understand the most basic elements of the economy dude.

You're like the WHO of the economics world - you know the big words, you just don't understand the most basic concepts. 

This is a kindergarten response.  You've demonstrated you're entirely clueless on economics, and your response is "NO YOU ARE" followed by "I don't take kindly to ur big-city learnin' words!"

My background, education and profession form the basis of my understanding on the topic.  You have none.  You know nothing about it.  Every thought you utter on the topic is embarrassingly uninformed and amounts to little more than clueless one-liners.  

Grow up dude. You're referencing a few minor things from 5 years ago. I referenced a litany of serious lies and idiotic conspiracy theories from the last 3 years, plus a successful libel suit from a high school kid. 

It doesn't matter what I reference.  In your small little world, everything that goes against your fantasy-reality is blithely excused for being "minor" or "a lie" or "MSM fake news".  It's a limp and pathetic mental crutch that leaves no room for intelligent debate, but you can use it on LITERALLY anything.  Though it fails spectacularly to convince anyone else, it does help you make sense of the world and how everything you see and hear doesn't match up with your world view.   

I mean you ACTUALLY believe the Seth Rich conspiracy.  It's some of the dumbest, most idiotic and poorly-sourced BS that's ever come out of Fox News, and you're telling us there's "video footage" of Hilary doing it herself?  Really?  Did you read that on 8chan, or from Q-anon?  Fox News has retracted the story and are fighting a lawsuit on it, but please don't let those facts jar you out of your comforting version of reality.  

As for Rebel Media, no, it does not do anything important, and it does not serve any purpose other than to reassure people like you into thinking that you're less ignorant than you really are.  

Edited by Moonbox
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Shady said:

Here’s a great instruction video by Chris Rock, with a list of things to do to prevent getting your ass kicked by police.

#1.  Obey the law!

So...you do realize how tongue-in-cheek this video is, right?  

21 hours ago, Shady said:

It’s not more mainstream because it’s silenced and deplatformed by things like Google, Facebook, Twitter etc.  There’s only a small handful that are somewhat mainstream.  The few I mentioned.

It's silenced and de-platformed by Google, Facebook and Twitter when it's saying stupid and ignorant crap, when it's blatantly lying, or when it's caustic and inflammatory.  I can't stand Fox News but it still pops up regularly on my news feed because I have some Jewish friends that love to repost it.  

1 hour ago, Moonbox said:

It's silenced and de-platformed by Google, Facebook and Twitter when it's saying stupid and ignorant crap, when it's blatantly lying, or when it's caustic and inflammatory.  I can't stand Fox News but it still pops up regularly on my news feed because I have some Jewish friends that love to repost it.  

Not that’s not true at all.

13 hours ago, Shady said:

Anybody else see Dave Chappelle‘s Jussie Smollett joke?  It might be the funniest thing you’ve seen.  He completely shreds him!

Thanks for the reminder of yet another pathetic fake news incident that got exposed. This was an orchestrated hoax. We forget how many of these we have now been exposed to, because we are immediately bombarded with another "emergency" by fake news. Catapulted...

17 hours ago, Moonbox said:

It's silenced and de-platformed by Google, Facebook and Twitter when it's saying stupid and ignorant crap, when it's blatantly lying, or when it's caustic and inflammatory.

And who decides what "stupid, ignorant crap" is ? You ? The government ? Mark Zuckerberg ? Fox News is the mirror image of CNN and MSNBC. Lately with the identity politics propaganda on MSNBC and CNN went off the rails.

Is funny to watch the true privileged people in these organizations dividing poor whites and minorities so they can hold on to their power. And you are buying it. So are the Rebel Media supporters so let us not pretend that one side is more superior than the other. 

3 minutes ago, Independent1986 said:

And who decides what "stupid, ignorant crap" is ? You ? The government ? Mark Zuckerberg ? Fox News is the mirror image of CNN and MSNBC. Lately with the identity politics propaganda on MSNBC and CNN went off the rails.

The bar is pretty low.  There is a ton of truly stupid crap that stays up there.  People (especially the far right) have this image that Facebook and Twitter etc are patrolling for any/all right-of-centre posts and scrubbing them, when that's not the case at all.  It's when it's blatant misinformation, or hateful or even worse inciting/encouraging violence etc.  

3 minutes ago, Independent1986 said:

Is funny to watch the true privileged people in these organizations dividing poor whites and minorities so they can hold on to their power. And you are buying it. So are the Rebel Media supporters so let us not pretend that one side is more superior than the other. 

In that you're at least correct.  The left is no better in most cases - the only difference being that they seem to be hyper-sensitive about anyone's feelings getting hurt and therefore don't say as much inflammatory stuff.  Folks think that it's Google or Twitter that's "shaping" their social media experiences when realistically it's actually your own habits and behaviors online that are getting fed back to you.  You click on article links where you think you'll agree with the title.  You unfollow people whose worldview you don't agree with.  Your social media is shaped by your own lack of proactivity and open-mindedness, not by Bezos or Zuckerberg or quantum computers and such nonsense.  

19 hours ago, Moonbox said:

This is a kindergarten response.  You've demonstrated you're entirely clueless on economics, and your response is "NO YOU ARE" followed by "I don't take kindly to ur big-city learnin' words!"

My background, education and profession form the basis of my understanding on the topic.  You have none.  You know nothing about it.  Every thought you utter on the topic is embarrassingly uninformed and amounts to little more than clueless one-liners.  

You're not the first person to learn through rote, check the right boxes on some tests, and come away without a true understanding of anything.

Your "nail technicians do just as much for the economy as any industry that's producing export commodities" theory is the stuff of legends. That lane is wide open for you. Maybe you can be the next Art Laffer. Your curve will look  like a doughnut.

I mean you ACTUALLY believe the Seth Rich conspiracy.  It's some of the dumbest, most idiotic and poorly-sourced BS that's ever come out of Fox News, and you're telling us there's "video footage" of Hilary doing it herself?  Really?  Did you read that on 8chan, or from Q-anon?  Fox News has retracted the story and are fighting a lawsuit on it, but please don't let those facts jar you out of your comforting version of reality.   

Don't put words in my mouth kid. You lack the intellectual capacity to understand topics that you studied for years in school. You definitely aren't capable of understanding what's in my posts.

The Seth Rich murder was worthy of a proper investigation. It didn't fit the MO of a robbery at all because, for example, the robbers didn't steal anything.

You're just a parrot for the Dems always scream "THAT DOESN"T NEED TO BE INVESTIGATED!!!!! ARE YOU A FREAKING MORON???????" Just like it's hilarious that anyone would think that Hunter and Joe need to be investigated, right?  Why wouldn't he just randomly strike up a couple of new careers in 'random' foreign countries? His career path is pretty normal, right? 100% of all the world's biggest idiots agree so it must be normal.

As for Rebel Media, no, it does not do anything important, and it does not serve any purpose other than to reassure people like you into thinking that you're less ignorant than you really are. 

You're talking about other people's ignorance, that's a lark. 

When your Nail Tech theory gets published I'll eat a whole crow for you.

5 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

You're not the first person to learn through rote, check the right boxes on some tests, and come away without a true understanding of anything.

Your "nail technicians do just as much for the economy as any industry that's producing export commodities" theory is the stuff of legends. That lane is wide open for you. Maybe you can be the next Art Laffer. Your curve will look  like a doughnut.

Except I never said that at all.  I tried to explain how badly you misunderstand what GDP actually measures, why it's an important statistic, and why even something like nail salons are worth measuring.  You seemed to be under the assumption that all that matters in the economy is how much stuff we dig out of the ground and sell abroad - that that's the only way to generate wealth.  It's demonstrably false, and I even gave you REALLY dumbed-down examples to show why it's wrong.  Predictably, you just bulled through your own ignorance and kept repeating your one-liners.  Nail salons are counted in GDP!  GDP is MSM fake news! :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

The Seth Rich murder was worthy of a proper investigation. It didn't fit the MO of a robbery at all because, for example, the robbers didn't steal anything.

Every murder is worth investigating.  Instead of reporting on that investigation, however, Fox News ran with a 100% unverified and completely made up conspiracy theory that Hilary had him assassinated.  The investigation immediately debunked that theory and Fox was forced to retract the story and are being sued for it.  

The mental gymnastics you're doing to make things fit your perspective are dumbfounding.  Fox News gets caught reporting on a completely made up story, and you spectacularly manage to twist your brain into believing that it's the democracts, or CNN that did something wrong.   As always, thanks for the laughs.  

3 hours ago, Independent1986 said:

I don't see a lot of cries from the Right to crack down on leftist hate on the internet. If there are any they're being completely ignored. You can say anything you want from the far fringes of the far Left on Twitter, on Facebook, on Reddit or any other social media platform with complete impunity. That includes directing racist and hateful attacks on white people. The only people being censored on the internet are the Right. Twitter banned someone the other day for a tweet that said something like 'men aren't women'. Apparently the belief that a 300lb 'person' with a beard shouldn't be allowed to compete in womens sports is 'hate'. Twitter is filled with vicious, nasty attacks on anyone even centrist, never mind conservative, and it's all perfectly fine. Even Facebook, which the Left proclaims as the home of 'hate' has long had a very strong censorship regime which bans almost any kind of opinions which differ from the orthodoxy of the Left on social issues. Now it will be pushed to increase its censorship. There was one of those soppy announcements from reddit admins the other day to the tune of how they're going to start banning a bunch more groups - all of them on the right - in sympathy with black people's 'pain'.  So the few conservative groups still on reddit are anticipating being banned. All in a desperate attempt to appease a mob whose appetite for control over what others can say or write or read or hear only grows.

3 hours ago, Moonbox said:

The bar is pretty low.  There is a ton of truly stupid crap that stays up there.  People (especially the far right) have this image that Facebook and Twitter etc are patrolling for any/all right-of-centre posts and scrubbing them, when that's not the case at all.  It's when it's blatant misinformation, or hateful or even worse inciting/encouraging violence etc.  

Examples? Because during all this cacophony about how Facebook has so much 'hate' I've seen no examples.

In that you're at least correct.  The left is no better in most cases - the only difference being that they seem to be hyper-sensitive about anyone's feelings getting hurt

Uhm, no. They're not the least bit concerned about people's feelings being hurt unless those people are in one of their 'protected' identity groups. These people are rabidly hateful on the internet, and gleefully brag about destroying people for saying the wrong thing, about doxxing them and mobbing their employers etc.

Edited by Argus

1 hour ago, Argus said:

Examples? Because during all this cacophony about how Facebook has so much 'hate' I've seen no examples.

Like Donald Trump's threats of violence against protesters?  That wasn't very hard.  

1 hour ago, Argus said:

Uhm, no. They're not the least bit concerned about people's feelings being hurt unless those people are in one of their 'protected' identity groups. These people are rabidly hateful on the internet, and gleefully brag about destroying people for saying the wrong thing, about doxxing them and mobbing their employers etc.

I can agree with that.  As you'll likely remember (from this thread) I'm strongly against the sort of behavior you're talking about and think the "politically correct" movement has gone way too far, but then I also think there's a key piece you're missing.  

Racist, homophobic and threatening comments are really low-hanging fruit.  There's a pretty clear demarcation for racist/homophobic content and threats of violence.  JK Rowling doesn't get banned for poking/questioning transgender definitions, but she probably would if she called them freaks or something like that.  

The far-right tends to have very poor judgment on this sort of content.  

5 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

Like Donald Trump's threats of violence against protesters?  That wasn't very hard.  

Those threats were carried in every newspaper and on every network newscast. Try again.

I can agree with that.  As you'll likely remember (from this thread) I'm strongly against the sort of behavior you're talking about and think the "politically correct" movement has gone way too far, but then I also think there's a key piece you're missing.  

And yet twitter does absolutely nothing to discourage such hateful mobbing.

Racist, homophobic and threatening comments are really low-hanging fruit.  There's a pretty clear demarcation for racist/homophobic content and threats of violence.  JK Rowling doesn't get banned for poking/questioning transgender definitions, but she probably would if she called them freaks or something like that.  

The far-right tends to have very poor judgment on this sort of content.  

The example I used was not theoretical. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8465699/Father-Ted-creator-Graham-Linehan-suspended-Twitter-stating-men-arent-women.html

This'll make you guys melt down. 

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/29/21304947/reddit-ban-subreddits-the-donald-chapo-trap-house-new-content-policy-rules

I think what's happening is a course correction from a lot of the mis-information and "Real" Fake News that came out of 2016. 

Facebook is seeing a boycott campaign that could force its hand on Propaganda from #45 etc. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/facebook-ad-boycott-canada-1.5631054

Edited by Boges
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Argus said:

Those threats were carried in every newspaper and on every network newscast. Try again.

What's your point?  That news media reports on prominent figures saying stupid stuff?  No doubt.  What does that have to do with Twitter or Facebook?  It's not a "right" to post on any of those sites, and they all have codes of conduct.  

And yet twitter does absolutely nothing to discourage such hateful mobbing.

That's a millennia-long tradition of idiots piling on to a wounded and unfortunate soul via mob or online anonymity.    I'd say it's akin to bullying, but unless you have a really good one-liner to report, it's likely that most of the miscreants are going to just be able to keep trolling.  That's why there's so many loud anti-SJW boycotts on social media, and why celebrities like Brie Larson get lambasted for holding opinions.  It works both ways.  

I don't know the whole story and that seems like a stretch to ban him for that, but then I don't know what sort of history he has of posting.  I do think he was antagonistic and dumb about it, but like you say the Left is all about that as well.  

20 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

What's your point?  That news media reports on prominent figures saying stupid stuff?  No doubt.  What does that have to do with Twitter or Facebook?  It's not a "right" to post on any of those sites, and they all have codes of conduct.  

I would think my point is obvious. If Facebook is to be censured for posting Trump's threats then so must every other form of major media. But they're not.

I don't know the whole story and that seems like a stretch to ban him for that, but then I don't know what sort of history he has of posting.  I do think he was antagonistic and dumb about it, but like you say the Left is all about that as well.  

Well how about this Reddit just remade its content policy - and banned hundreds of groups. Here is the policy, number ONE so you know how important it is. Note that it specifically allows hate directed against 'the majority' - which I guess means me.

Rule 1: Remember the human. Reddit is a place for creating community and belonging, not for attacking marginalized or vulnerable groups of people. Everyone has a right to use Reddit free of harassment, bullying, and threats of violence. Communities and people that incite violence or that promote hate based on identity or vulnerability will be banned.

Marginalized or vulnerable groups include, but are not limited to, groups based on their actual and perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, immigration status, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or disability. These include victims of a major violent event and their families. 

While the rule on hate protects such groups, it does not protect all groups or all forms of identity. For example, the rule does not protect groups of people who are in the majority or who promote such attacks of hate. 

Edited by Argus

29 minutes ago, Argus said:

I would think my point is obvious. If Facebook is to be censured for posting Trump's threats then so must every other form of major media. But they're not.

I think the hubub about Facebook is that it is banning/censoring accounts for repeating exactly what Trump says, though Trump himself isn't getting the same censorship.  It's a curious look and there's definitely some selectivity and hypocrisy at work...or just haphazard enforcement.  

Regardless, twitter and facebook etc are not the same thing as news media.  The distinction lies in "social" part.  They're not reporting the news.  They're just a platform that allows people/organizations to communicate.  There's a huge difference, I would think, between reporting that something bad happened or that something dumb was uttered (usually with context), with actually promoting violence or disseminating dumb/hateful speech.  

40 minutes ago, Argus said:

Rule 1: Remember the human. Reddit is a place for creating community and belonging, not for attacking marginalized or vulnerable groups of people. Everyone has a right to use Reddit free of harassment, bullying, and threats of violence. Communities and people that incite violence or that promote hate based on identity or vulnerability will be banned.

Marginalized or vulnerable groups include, but are not limited to, groups based on their actual and perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, immigration status, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or disability. These include victims of a major violent event and their families. 

While the rule on hate protects such groups, it does not protect all groups or all forms of identity. For example, the rule does not protect groups of people who are in the majority or who promote such attacks of hate. 

I suppose you see a problem with the text in bold?  It's pretty obvious why it's there.  It's to deter lame attempts at moral equivalence, ie.. "The gay, black muslims are harassing me because just because I'm a white, heterosexual Anglo-Saxon male!"

They're trying to nip that sort of nonsense in the bud, but it's not carte-blanche for black gay muslims to tell the guy he should hang himself and that they're going to eat his children.  

I think the hubub about Facebook is that it is banning/censoring accounts for repeating exactly what Trump says, though Trump himself isn't getting the same censorship.  It's a curious look and there's definitely some selectivity and hypocrisy at work...or just haphazard enforcement.  

Regardless, twitter and facebook etc are not the same thing as news media.  The distinction lies in "social" part.  They're not reporting the news.  They're just a platform that allows people/organizations to communicate.  There's a huge difference, I would think, between reporting that something bad happened or that something dumb was uttered (usually with context), with actually promoting violence or disseminating dumb/hateful speech.  

From what I've seen of Facebook there is heavy censorship of anyone who promotes violence or tries to put out hate speech, and has been for years. I think the efforts being directed against Facebook are more about efforts to silence conservatives than protect anyone from hate speech.

https://issuesinsights.com/2020/06/26/the-facebook-ad-boycott-is-about-silencing-conservatives-not-stopping-hate/

I suppose you see a problem with the text in bold?  It's pretty obvious why it's there.  It's to deter lame attempts at moral equivalence, ie.. "The gay, black muslims are harassing me because just because I'm a white, heterosexual Anglo-Saxon male!"

They're trying to nip that sort of nonsense in the bud, but it's not carte-blanche for black gay muslims to tell the guy he should hang himself and that they're going to eat his children.  

I don't think you've been there if you take that position. There are a lot of groups which are venomously racist towards whites. Certainly more so than the likes of /thenewright which they just banned today ever was towards non-whites.

You have to give it to @Argus, I don't agree with half of what he is saying but makes you think with arguments about his position. As Marcus Aurelius said it: "Stand straight, don't be held straight". 

Your excessive tribalism though makes you loose opportunities to co-operate with individuals that have different backgrounds but respect and contribute through hard work to this great country. I know people from the Middle East that pay more taxes than the white students defacing statues in the streets. 

As a conclusion after reading people defending the status quo in the media and twitter just makes me conclude that all you enlightened want mediocrity in society. Twitter and Facebook is becoming the worst that a mob can offer.

Any uneducated individual can join the mob and with a power of a click can control the outcome of someone's reputation that was built over years of work. Do you imagine getting banned for saying "men are not women" ?. Is funny now, until it happens to you, the revolution has no time for individuals, so maybe is time to open your eyes and realize that far left radicalism is gaining momentum. 

Edited by Independent1986

1 hour ago, Argus said:

From what I've seen of Facebook there is heavy censorship of anyone who promotes violence or tries to put out hate speech, and has been for years. I think the efforts being directed against Facebook are more about efforts to silence conservatives than protect anyone from hate speech.

https://issuesinsights.com/2020/06/26/the-facebook-ad-boycott-is-about-silencing-conservatives-not-stopping-hate/

and I think that the efforts have been about ridding the platform of fake news and propaganda.  It's one thing to post a link to an actual news article and give your opinion (though it's stupid and pointless most of the time), it's another thing altogether to be promoting and spreading disinformation.  The article you're linking is hardly the zinger you think it is... frankly it's quite poor.  It's little more than a whiny conservative opinion piece making huge leaps of logic in all directions.  

I don't think you've been there if you take that position. There are a lot of groups which are venomously racist towards whites. Certainly more so than the likes of /thenewright which they just banned today ever was towards non-whites.

Reddit is a cesspool of vitriol and barely moderated at all.  You could jump into Star Wars subreddit and find idiots saying the worst things imaginable to each other because they disagree on whether Rey should have ended up with Fyn or Kylo Ren.  

Edited by Moonbox

10 hours ago, Moonbox said:

It's when it's blatant misinformation

Yes, but who determines what is blatant misinformation ? I mean blatant misinformation was the story that went around about Jussie Smollet for days and days, is it ok when CNN does it right ? but when others on the other aisle do it, is not ok. My argument is that is the same coin, but different side. Limited exposure of the mind to people that want to control it is the key to freedom. 

Edited by Independent1986

8 hours ago, Moonbox said:

Except I never said that at all.  I tried to explain how badly you misunderstand what GDP actually measures, why it's an important statistic, and why even something like nail salons are worth measuring.  You seemed to be under the assumption that all that matters in the economy is how much stuff we dig out of the ground and sell abroad - that that's the only way to generate wealth.  It's demonstrably false, and I even gave you REALLY dumbed-down examples to show why it's wrong.  Predictably, you just bulled through your own ignorance and kept repeating your one-liners.  Nail salons are counted in GDP!  GDP is MSM fake news! :rolleyes:

Stop with the idiocy already moonbox. 

You know what my criticism of our PM's ridiculous boner for shutting down the oil sands was. You must surely understand how devastating that would be for Canada's economy yet you pretend that we'll be fine because we have "a super GDP" and the nail tech & hair-cutting sector of our economy is so solid. 

FYI we will NOT be a world leader in the manufacture of any green technology, at all, ever. There's no replacement on the horizon for the exports that we are shutting down, at all. Trudeau, May, Singh and Blanchet are truly retarded and its sad that they are able to suck so many people in. 

We'll be importing cheap clothing and household items from everywhere, tech from everywhere, cars from everywhere, toys from everywhere, and our net exports will be down by 25% under your awesome plan, but you think that we're not gonna miss a beat. 

Time will tell, but just remember that you already heard it here first. 

Every murder is worth investigating.  Instead of reporting on that investigation, however, Fox News ran with a 100% unverified and completely made up conspiracy theory that Hilary had him assassinated.  The investigation immediately debunked that theory and Fox was forced to retract the story and are being sued for it.  

The mental gymnastics you're doing to make things fit your perspective are dumbfounding.  Fox News gets caught reporting on a completely made up story, and you spectacularly manage to twist your brain into believing that it's the democracts, or CNN that did something wrong.   As always, thanks for the laughs.  

Oh cry me a river moonbox.How much talk did we ever hear about investigating the Seth Rich murder? If it was completely unverified and made up, shouldn't it go on for 3 years like Russia, Russia, Russia did? Shouldn't they have been able to get some FISA warrants issued for that, and lock some Dems up for kiddie porn but say that they're in jail because of the "Seth Rich assassination"?

I get that you're upset that anyone would think that Hillary should be investigated for anything. Ditto for Biden in Ukraine. Ditto for Biden in China. Ditto for the WHO. At the same time you think that the Russian collusion and Ukrainian collusion and Kavanaugh investigations were all super-legit and no doubt de-fund police is the next big thing. 

That's why your opinion is completely worthless.

You're talking about mental gymnastics, it takes some world-class backtard flips to be hoodwinked by all the clown shows that CNN is running and yet be completely apoplectic about a brief discussion involving why Seth Rich died at such an opportune time in such a weird way. That's some next-level hypocrisy. 

I wish I could laugh moonbox, but the depths of leftist stupidity is no laughing matter.