Hate speech for the Left is fine according to Twitter

There were some fake news spreading to the effect that Stephen Miller, a right wing jewish anti-immigration conservative on Trump side was infected by the coronavirus.

Many on Twitter rejoiced. And wished publicly his death on Twitter. Tens of thousands of likes and retweets/shares. No action taken against those tweets 12 hours after they were posted and made popular.

You have the right to say that you rejoice someone dying on Twitter, or wishing someone's death. But only if the person you're saying that is right wing and against mass migration.

But don't you dare publicly say there are two genders on Twitter. You'll get banned immediately.

8i092UG.png
0z8EQhy.png
5S6WX8G.png

Edited by QuebecOverCanada
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

They are protected by the corporations while conservatives are shut down for MUCH less.

Because many of those who are rich and of that persuasion, use their money to influence the agenda. Also there is inherent conservative-hating bias in the leadership.

IT is a "progressive" field, after all.

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Why do you think leftists are worse than others?  Are you maybe PREJUDICED against them? :lol:

Maybe they are not really leftists but squads of Russians sent to provoke and inflame us. Maybe you are one as well.

You... supported the twitter bans up until now, did you not?

2 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Maybe they are not really leftists but squads of Russians sent to provoke and inflame us. Maybe you are one as well.

You... supported the twitter bans up until now, did you not?

I have no remembrance of this.  Sounds like me, but I am more interested in the phenomenon of finding one rude idiot and saying 'typical rightie' or whatever.

You are actually doing a little hypocrisy handstand when you do that... generalization of others while criticizing the practice of generalization.

5 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

I see... as in you people.

Yeah... well "you people" meant Asians but generally "you" means "one"

Example: You've gotta fight for your right to paaaaarty... actually is a rephrasing of Founding Father Adam Rock: "One must contend for one's freedom to pursue happiness"

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

They are protected by the corporations while conservatives are shut down for MUCH less.

Corporations protect leftists... why do you think that is ?

Maybe the corporations are more in the middle than you are ?  

Do you have an example of extreme speech that is banned by twitter, and corresponding extreme speech protected by a corporation ?

Of course, I do understand that these will be asymetric examples but maybe we can explore this.

On 4/3/2020 at 1:51 PM, Michael Hardner said:

Why do you think leftists are worse than others?  Are you maybe PREJUDICED against them? :lol:

Anyone who is actually honest on the left or right, would have to concede that platforms like Twitter encourage piling on. I found myself doing this to some extent when I joined Twitter several years ago and wanted to keep growing my followers...until I reached 1000 and I thought: "why the hell am I bothering?" So, I still use Twitter and check on my feed every day, but rarely stay too long unless I find things that are really useful and informative. For example, the best information and most important experts I've found on the Covid-19 pandemic have been on Twitter. The downside is that regarding politics, the Twitter platform encourages people to divide into separated, isolated camps where they have little or no idea what is going on outside their little niches where everyone believes pretty much the same thing and has the same take on most every issue.

For me, that came as somewhat of a surprise, because I've always been of the thinking that being liberal means being more open-minded that close minded conservatives. But in the brave new world of internet everything, it seems like nobody is open-minded and undecided about anything anymore!

15 hours ago, Right To Left said:

1. ... the Twitter platform encourages people to divide into separated, isolated camps where they have little or no idea what is going on outside their little niches where everyone believes pretty much the same thing and has the same take on most every issue.

2. ... it seems like nobody is open-minded and undecided about anything anymore!

1. I'm not sure how the platform itself would do this, but that does seem to be the result yes.

2. Well, many of us - present company included - have not had to use the reflection and thoughtfulness muscles until about 20 years ago when we joined online forums. 

The character of our 'public' life in N. America has been increasingly defined by commercial mainstream sources since the 1930s.  These institutions are chiefly driven by advertising revenue and revenue-generating engines like Hollywood.  Unsurprisingly, they have found that flattering the consumer helps achieve their goals. 

Nothing has replaced the old social necessities of patriotism and religious service in our public lives.  For all of their flaws, those forces elevated selflessness in terms of challenging us to cooperate, to reflect and to improve ourselves... to the point of even sacrificing ourselves.  I would say that we lost some good when we supplanted those facets of public life.  Now we are Narcissus, looking at the beautiful image of ourselves as reflected in media streams.  If liberal then they reinforce us as sensitive, caring souls who are rich in spirit.  If conservative then they reinforce us as pragmatic and hard-working souls who drive our prosperity and the good life.

What needs to happen is that those of us who recognize that those tropes are empty and false should reboot the idea of the public, of the commoner who can consider ideas on their own merits without having to ape a bunch of suited conservative and liberal proxies who argue, as on CNN's Crossfire.  

• Thanks 2