The Coronavirus

6 minutes ago, Boges said:

You cited a British article, an Irish article and a Canadian article from May (before many re-opening steps had started).

Yes that is correct. I gave relevant and recent cites about the effect of the shutdown. My posts have evidence to back them up.

I haven't seen you cite any of your assertions, so until you do, your posts are your own baseless opinion.

Reopening only just started, and the articles I linked to show they are ramping up capacity slowly. In the meantime the backlog has fully continued from the May article until now. The problem has only worsened. As we ramp up it still continues to worsen. It will take years to clear it, and there will be deaths, both stochastically and deterministically.

It should be noted that just because we are all totally obsessing on the coronavirus, doesn't mean there are no other infectious diseases out there. Everything else is still the same.

Right now, there's an ear infection going around that comes with a mild fever.

====

There is no reason to be afraid.

Edited by OftenWrong

Rabbits, it should be noted that I have not received one single penny of the foul CERB. I have had to work throughout the whole ordeal, and I never wore a mask, ever. That is, until they mandated it for indoor public places, like grocery stores which they only did after the virus was already practically gone. Absurd I tell you, but carry on.

The only time I will wear it is when I am forced to, when there is no other choice. Never, otherwise.

Freedom is a smiling face on a beautiful sunny day. She wears no mask because she knows she is beautiful, and free.

We only pity those who wear them out of pure ignorance and fear. We who are truly free. We Hyperboreans...

On 7/31/2020 at 2:07 PM, OftenWrong said:

The only time I will wear it is when I am forced to, when there is no other choice. Never, otherwise.

This is exactly why they've been mandated, of course. 

I assume you've seen those guys talking from their hospital beds, explaining how they figured they were young, healthy and safe, the virus scare was overblown, no need to wear a mask or social distance - now begging people to take precautions, wash their hands, social distance, wear a mask.

Herman Caine thought masks were stupid, too; then he caught Covid-19 and now he's dead.

We only pity those who wear them out of pure ignorance and fear. We who are truly free.

Yes, being asked to take some minor action to protect others is certainly a hallmark of a lack of freedom.  Speed limits, drunk driving prohibitions, rules about driving on roads and not just the fuck wherever you want, how we are oppressed!  And now a mask!  Will the oppression ever end?   /s

The only ignorance on display here are the anti-maskers who think wearing a mask is some infringement on their freedom.  Its really hard not to wish we'd see more of them in hospital beds, admitting their stupidity and begging others not to be so stupid. 

But that would only put our health care people at more risk, never mind the people these anti-mask morons may have infected before even knowing they were sick.  

So I'm glad our rates are low, and that your stupidity probably won't land you or anyone you love in the hospital or morgue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dialamah said:

Its really hard not to wish we'd see more of them in hospital beds, admitting their stupidity and begging others not to be so stupid. 

You never responded to my challenges when I posted technical information about masks. On those points you still remain silent. Therefore what this screed of yours represents is mere rabbit noises. Fear-filled rabbit squeak.

You, and your little rabbit entourage... lol

Speed limits, drunk driving prohibitions, rules about driving on roads and not just the fuck wherever you want, how we are oppressed! 

I can't help who I am, it's just the way I'm wired. I am a healthy male. Kinda dumb, you're right. Also very obstinate and bull-headed.
I just naturally do what all healthy males need to do, if you know what I mean.  ;)

So I'm glad our rates are low, and that your stupidity probably won't land you or anyone you love in the hospital or morgue.

No, I doubt that very much. You are not glad. But maybe there is... something else?

Hey sapper, and all you other sap-suckers, as it were. I know your a buncha always-maskers. Probably wear them at home too. Even in the rabbit hole. I hear it's mandatory for those in big cities, who live in condos where ventilation is such that i goes from one room to another. You are already breathing in everybody else's farts, now it could be the virus. So yes, you people better wear a frikken N-95 all day and night.

Me, I'm a country boy.

I saw a whole bunch of people all crammed together in tight spaces while shopping. They were wearing masks, yes, but some were home-made. Some were just thin paper that fit quite poorly. Some were just a fabric shawl drawn over.

I thought, what fools. Don't they know those are not the right masks for near contact? They're essentially useless in close quarters.

If you're not wearing an N95, stay 2m the fuck away from me.

Or answer my question folks, if you don't think so.

3 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Hey sapper, and all you other sap-suckers, as it were. I know your a buncha always-maskers. Probably wear them at home too. Even in the rabbit hole. I hear it's mandatory for those in big cities, who live in condos where ventilation is such that i goes from one room to another. You are already breathing in everybody else's farts, now it could be the virus. So yes, you people better wear a frikken N-95 all day and night.

Me, I'm a country boy.

I saw a whole bunch of people all crammed together in tight spaces while shopping. They were wearing masks, yes, but some were home-made. Some were just thin paper that fit quite poorly. Some were just a fabric shawl drawn over.

I thought, what fools. Don't they know those are not the right masks for near contact? They're essentially useless in close quarters.

If you're not wearing an N95, stay 2m the fuck away from me.

Or answer my question folks, if you don't think so.

No, I argued against masks initially.  I thought they were ineffective.  I was wrong.  That's okay, I sometimes am.

I live rurally too.  So I'm glad Edmonton has mandated masks, even for self-absorbed man children.  I'm safer when I go shopping.

We are agreed that some masks are better than others. Freedom is not a good excuse not to get a better mask.

What question?

11 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

even for self-absorbed man children

At least I have presented an intellectual argument to caution against trusting your facial coverings. I hope people understand that argument so that they stay safe.

It doesn't help when reactive little bundles of sticks start screeching and hissing. And oh, the clawing and the spitting, and calling me names! Oh yeah baby!!!

Sorry, I thought you were Dialamah...

1 minute ago, OftenWrong said:

At least I have presented an intellectual argument to caution against trusting your facial coverings. I hope people understand that argument so that they stay safe.

It doesn't help when reactive little bundles of sticks start screeching and hissing. And oh, the clawing and the spitting, and calling me names! Oh yeah baby!!!

Sorry, I thought you were Dialamah...

If your intellectual argument differs from that of the experts, I will go with them.  Sorry.

I try to only ever call people names in response to like treatment.  I have too much class to simply call someone a name just because I disagree with them.

Rabbits, it should be noted that I have not received one single penny of the foul CERB. I have had to work throughout the whole ordeal

All I can say buddy is be calm, be kind, be safe but above all else keep up the good work.

On 8/1/2020 at 7:33 PM, bcsapper said:

Freedom is not a good excuse not to get a better mask.

The fact most masks are pretty ineffective is however.  I'm getting a couple of these for my wife and I.  You download Scandy Pro, take a photo with an up to date iPhone that can scan the contours of your face send the blueprint Scandy Pro produces to just about any 3D print shop. You change out the disposable N95 disk/cartridge that fits into the screw-on screw off part of the face mask.  And guess what, it's translucent so you'll be able to swear oaths while still wearing a face-covering!  Mine should be in the mail shortly.

In the meantime anyone that wears glasses can tell you most face masks are far from perfect. The evidence is right before your eyes, almost constantly.  Why wear it anyway? Because it's better than nothing and thankfully something that can be improved on relatively easily and inexpensively. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/technology-53432848/customised-3d-printed-masks-a-more-comfortable-fit

Edited by eyeball

17 minutes ago, eyeball said:

All I can say buddy is be calm, be kind, be safe but above all else keep up the good work.

I always try to be all of those things, and nothing in that regard has changed for me either. I know what shitballs you people really are. All this "I wear a mask to protect others" mantra is as thin as paper.

Meanwhile I heard in parts of Germany, there are gangs that will rip the mask off your face if they see you wearing one.

Need a little more of that attitude over here, I tell ya. Send em to your place,

I bet your wearing one right now, in your living room. Right?

3 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

I always try to be all of those things, and nothing in that regard has changed for me either. I know what shitballs you people really are. All this "I wear a mask to protect others" mantra is as thin as paper.

Meanwhile I heard in parts of Germany, there are gangs that will rip the mask off your face if they see you wearing one.

Need a little more of that attitude over here, I tell ya. Send em to your place,

How about you come over?

I bet your wearing one right now, in your living room. Right?

No I'm having a cold Heinie with my Orville Redenbacher.

I bet you're loafing on the Internet when you should be pushing your broom.

7 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Why wear it anyway? Because it's better than nothin

There is a tendency to believe that face coverings make us safe. But they really don't. They do not provide protection when you are in a situation where there is a real possibility for transmission of the coronavirus. In those instances none of these "face coverings" as they are technically called (doesn't even need to be a mask), would be allowed.

And since they create problems of their own, including those you identified plus things like hard to breathe, hard to hear.Saw an old guy driving with one on. All by himself in the car too. I thought, hope your glasses don't get steamed up old guy, or you get light-headed.

It's gross to see masks littering the streets. They carry the concentrate of all the viruses and bacteria that the wearer had, coming from their festering gob. Make sure you don't step on one or even run over one with your car tire. You might track virus right home to your driveway... Compound the situation with that many cities have not opened their municipal services fully yet. Nobody picks up this garbage.

Someone told me another good one- deaf people, who get by in life by reading lips having a rather hard time now. Including the partially deaf, like one guy whom I know personally. He can hear a little, but also reads lips and asks that we face him when talking to him. He was able to work with a crew before but cannot now. He has no way to figure out what's going on. When he;s out shopping and stuff, can't get any information from anyone.

19 minutes ago, eyeball said:

How about you come over?

No I'm having a cold Heinie with my Orville Redenbacher.

I bet you're loafing on the Internet when you should be pushing your broom.

No thanks, I only drink ales.

No dude I'm going to bed. My work is done for the day.

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

There is a tendency to believe that face coverings make us safe. But they really don't. 

Hence the utility of a custom-fitted mask.

It's gross to see masks littering the streets.

Did you and your homies ever think of cleaning up after yourselves once you've ripped some shitballs mask off their face?

They carry the concentrate of all the viruses and bacteria that the wearer had, coming from their festering gob. Make sure you don't step on one or even run over one with your car tire. You might track virus right home to your driveway... Compound the situation with that many cities have not opened their municipal services fully yet. Nobody picks up this garbage.

I haven't seen any masks littering the streets where I live.  I don't doubt it though, I've seen stories about municipal workers taking apart sewage pumps plugged with PPE flushed down toilets.  COVID-19 thrives on this sort of disregardful stupidity.

Someone told me another good one- deaf people, who get by in life by reading lips having a rather hard time now. Including the partially deaf, like one guy whom I know personally. He can hear a little, but also reads lips and asks that we face him when talking to him. He was able to work with a crew before but cannot now. He has no way to figure out what's going on. When he;s out shopping and stuff, can't get any information from anyone.

Awwww, and I know people who can't get their nails done.

Cry me a river, stupid masks have torn my hearing aids out more than a few times now too.

Edited by eyeball

Its not the same as losing your employment, and your ability to be employed.

But as usual I dont expect much sympathy or even understanding, coming from the entitled spolied liberal bitches. But they got a big mouth, like to ridicule the less fortunate while they sip their leftist-liberal lager.

Meanwhile here's some news. News that is suppressed. This is happening in many countries around the world.

But here's from a reputable link.

Coronavirus: Thousands protest in Germany against restrictions

Officials say about 20,000 people attended the Berlin protest on Saturday.

Organisers had declared it a "day of freedom" from months of coronavirus restrictions.

Demonstrators held up banners featuring such slogans as "Corona, false alarm" and "We are being forced to wear a muzzle".

10 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

hear.Saw an old guy driving with one on. All by himself in the car too

I put my mask on at the first store I go to.  If I'm going to another store, I leave it on in the car, even when I'm by myself, because as per best practices, the less fiddling with it, the better.  Maybe he's also following best practices.

I thought, hope your glasses don't get steamed up

I've learned how to put on a mask so that doesn't happen.  Maybe he has too.

or you get light-headed

Here's where you lost all credibility because ...

SmartSelect_20200803-090210_Google.thumb.jpg.37eb30bcc08e51ae7d19d74c9d0ec671.jpg

Do you worry about these people getting light-headed?  

Edited by dialamah

Here's where you lost all credibility because ...

Do you worry about these people getting light-headed?  

My credibility cannot be distinguished by you, my darling...

Here's where the comparison fails. Those people are not the elderly, and hopefully also not respiratory impaired.

You see, simple thinking. Clear thinking. Non self-centered thinking helps a lot too.

16 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Those people are not the elderly, and hopefully also not respiratory impaired.

You mean, no doctor or nurse who ever steps into an operating room or even an examination room could ever have asthma?  Or any form of COPD?  How likely is that?   Anyway, there've been studies.

Surgical masks may impose some measurable airway resistance, but it seems doubtful if this significantly increases the process of breathing.

Thus it is hard to believe that these masks serve as a reducer of oxygen uptake, but they may be acting as a psychological restriction over spontaneous breathing of the active surgeon. 

This change in SpO2 may be either due to the facial mask or the operational stress, since similar changes were observed in the group performing surgery without a mask.

There's plenty more, if you'd do a little research instead of going with the first thing that hit your Facebook feed.

You see, simple thinking.

Indeed - remarkably simple thinking.  "I'm a bullheaded male from Alberta who's going to go with the minority (1 "expert") who says masks pose more problems than they solve".  Yup, simple-minded thinking at it's best.

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

Non self-centered thinking helps a lot too.

You mean the people who are too self-centered to wear a mask, despite the many studies that confirm mask wearing helps protect from viruses.  

On 8/3/2020 at 3:52 PM, dialamah said:

You mean, no doctor or nurse who ever steps into an operating room or even an examination room could ever have asthma?  Or any form of COPD?  How likely is that?   Anyway, there've been studies.

Please lady, don't bore me with your dumb attempt at this comparison. And why are you bringing in doctors and nurses? I said I saw an old man driving a car. Stop being so defensive and ridiculous.

No way would I ever click that. Don't need to. If you can't rationalize the argument, I'm not interested. Well so far you're not able to do that. I've asked you questions and you don't want to answer. That is all that's necessary, from over here.

You mean the people who are too self-centered to wear a mask, despite the many studies that confirm mask wearing helps protect from viruses. 

Go ahead and wear it then. And I will come on over with my mask, too. Maybe we can meet...

On 8/3/2020 at 12:52 PM, dialamah said:

There was some local wag in the grocery store lineup loudly commenting on the uselessness of masks the other day and wondering why people were so afraid of COVID anyway.  I commented that masks were actually meant to offer some margin of protection from stupid people but it seems even more useless at doing that.

I got the stinkeye from about half the people around me and muffled guffaws from the rest.