Panic, Ignorance, Shut Up Already

Rue
Message added by Charles Anthony

merged "Fear and the coronavirus 2" into this thread

2 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

I'm still going into town to buy things, I don't feel any fear, I grew up under a Sword of Damocles, the world almost ended on Monday 26 September 1983, on that night, I played hockey.

Sword of Damocles ain't shit, Tony Soprano needs to lighten up, cut to black yo.

Edited by Yzermandius19

4 minutes ago, Iceni warrior said:

Enough of the flu comparisons already.

Unless you can give me an example of a country which has 500 people a day dying from the flu.

The world is freaking out far more than it did in March of 1919 and the market crash in 1919 is now dwarfed by the one in progress.

7 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

lol.   You might have a shot, she doesn't like little girly men, so maybe get in the gym and start pumping iron now.

Moving a couple of tons of straw in 20lb pitchfork loads is a good workout but I'm guessing I've got a long way to go to match an adonis like yourself. I was hoping an English accent and a dry sense of humour would work instead. Or rather the friend on whose behalf I was asking was hoping.

He's a damn good cook too.

3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

I actually caught double pneumonia in the army, they didn't have me on a ventilator but I was on oxygen

I just powered through it, stayed off my back, literally walked it off.

Hacking up balls of green slime and spitting them out.

The NHS is preparing rooms with pumped oxygen to help cope with the shortage of ventilators.

38 minutes ago, Iceni warrior said:

The NHS is preparing rooms with pumped oxygen to help cope with the shortage of ventilators.

Seems to me if there are going to be so many people who need them it might make sense to use a single large device with several dozen hoses to connect with individuals who need it. Mind you, I don't know if that would work or if each one has to be individually adjusted. Though you could probably adjust the flow to each hose with a simple screw.

15 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

That's just Canadian oil, it sells at a big discount, West Texas is $20, Brent is $24

Sterling is taking a hammering anyway. Down by 3 or 4% against just about everything except Russian Ruble and Norwegian Krone.

Fears are being driven by rumours about a total shutdown of London and the end to trade negotiations with the EU making a no-deal Brexit at the end of the year more likely.

Just now, Dougie93 said:

This is more than just the virus, this is an epic market crash, and oil price war, and a pandemic, all crashing down at once, perfect storm.

Prices for everything could start to go sky-high. Food especially. Then all that promised government gravy will get sucked into the void in no time.

3 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Prices for everything could start to go sky-high. Food especially. Then all that promised government gravy will get sucked into the void in no time.

They'll invoke the Emergency Measures Act which empowers them to requisition private property and then they will set the prices by decree.