Pipeline protestors need to be jailed

Argus

16 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

No, Canada is not an idea, that's you imposing the American template unto Canada because you don't have a template of your own which comports with your liberal values.

Canada is simply an agreement, to keep the French in, the Americans out,  and the Indians down, thrown together in a panic over a few weeks, in the wake of the Fenian Raids.

Canada is a racist apartheid anachronism of the British Empire, a zombie legacy project of imperialist adventure, propped up by America so it doesn't degenerate into Mexico North; love it or leave it as you would say.

"Canada is an idea" is the essence of Americanization,  Manifest Destiny in effect.

You’re so full of it.  Canada is freer, safer, and more progressive than the US, with strong national narratives, including important contributions in world wars.  Stop trying to sell it short, the country that employed you and gave you a good life.  Anyway, we’ve been down this road before.  The US is building walls and getting more closed, for all its positives.  US federal leadership is jingoistic, vulgar, and quasi-fascist, but Canada still collaborates for the good things and has its own issues.  Nobody’s perfect.  

Trudeau’s Liberals are embarrassing for different reasons and we’ve got plenty to criticize up here. 

Edited by Zeitgeist

1 minute ago, Zeitgeist said:

You’re so full of it.  Canada is freer, safer, and more progressive than the US, with strong national narratives, including important contributions in world wars.  Stop trying to sell it short, the country that employed you and gave you a good life.  Anyway, we’ve been down this road before.  The US is building walls and getting more closed, for all its positives.  US federal leadership is jingoistic, vulgar, and quasi-fascist, but Canada still collaborates for the good things and has its own issues.  Nobody’s perfect.  

I owe Canada nothing, Confederation has never gifted me anything, and I did not serve God,  Queen,  Country, Regiment, Corps, Commander-in-Chief, because I needed the job.

4 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Glad to hear you have some remnant of loyalty.  

I bear no loyalty to Canadian Confederation, not am I bound to, I side with the Pequistes against it, as is my prerogative, Her Majesty defends the right.

Can't get more Canadian than that.

Edited by Dougie93

On 2/13/2020 at 8:06 PM, eyeball said:

I'm simply saying it is what it is. I saw 800 arrests reverse a government's course and you know perfectly well what you're proposing will not happen.

Ottawa deeply miscalculated when it tried to lean on the strength of the elected chiefs and councils to get approval for this pipeline.  Indigenous political sovereignty is an internationally recognized right that Canada recognizes too and the decisions of the colonially created band councils do not take precedence over those of the hereditary chiefs.  THAT just is what it is too. Deal with it and negotiate.

I suspect there will be consent and then environmentalists will be faced with a conundrum.  The same conundrum they're faced with hereabouts where 1st Nations have said they're going logging again...this time according to their rules.  So....the environmentalists are dealing with it and negotiating.  Get in line I guess.

Did Ottawa miscalculate or did first nations change the rules, at one time the elected council was enough, they spoke for everyone, and now they added another layer to the approval process, was it there all the time, and if it was why even bother with the elected council ? if they can only decide on matters with in the reserve.... I mean the already took the companies money , is this just a way to hold out for more....Thats what it sounds like to me...

Canada does recognize it, they just wont put it into action....first nations will have to deal with that....

Ya, there will be consent the money man will sprinkle some more cash around everyone will be fat and happy, and the next day first nations will be telling the enviro squaddies to buzz off...this is all about money and nothing to do with the environment...

5 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

That’s what makes Canada so democratic.  Quebec is at the heart of Canada.  They started it.  If they leave, the rest of Canada leaves with them.  

Quebec leaving is an inevitable evolution, trying to prevent them from leaving by bribery, that being the essence of Canadian governance, is the source of most of the corruption and dysfunction.

• Like 1

It's comical to see the Laurentian Elites go on the CBC and prattle on about how they need to "regulate social media!"

What they really mean is a legislative wall to keep the American freedom out of Canada.

This is what Canada is about, this is all that Canada is about, and this is how delusional these Canadians are.

America is an idea, and in fact Canadians fear and loathe that idea, and they want the RCMP to stomp it out with their high brown strathcona jackboots

Edited by Dougie93

Because again, Canada is not an idea, Canada is a shotgun marriage imposed by force of arms, no matter how far back you go, go all the way back to the Plains of Abraham if you like.

Quebec was asked by the Yanks to join when they entered Montreal.  They declined.  Canada as a national idea predates Confederation, the War of 1812, the Treaty of Paris...It started with Acadia, New France, the Hudson’s Bay Company...Once the intermarriage with the Indians started, there was no turning back.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

4 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

It's comical to see the Laurentian Elites go on the CBC and prattle on about how they need to "regulate social media!"

What they really mean is a legislative wall to keep the American freedom out of Canada.

This is what Canada is about, this is all that Canada is about, and this is how delusional these Canadians are.

America is an idea, and in fact Canadians fear and loathe that idea, and they want the RCMP to stomp it out with their high brown strathcona jackboots

Do you know where I can buy those boots?

Just now, Zeitgeist said:

Quebec was asked by the Yanks to join when they entered Montreal.  They declined.

Another canard, based upon you often propagated fear of American annexation, which is no longer a threat, since:

a) Canada already let the Americans in and in fact turned the running of the place almost entirely over to them.

b) America doesn't want to annex Canada anymore, because Canada is a burden not a boon.

Canada itself is not central to anything anymore, that is why it is tearing itself apart.

The American information age revolution is inexorable, America is built to take the pounding, Canada is not.

Toronto, McLuhan-inspired international communications centre, seems to be holding up okay.  They’re arriving by the tens of thousands.  

1 minute ago, Dougie93 said:

Another canard, based upon you often propagated fear of American annexation, which is no longer a threat, since:

a) Canada already let the Americans in and in fact turned the running of the place almost entirely over to them.

b) America doesn't want to annex Canada anymore, because Canada is a burden not a boon.

Canada will take over the cause of freedom from the US, which is walling itself off.  

2 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Toronto, McLuhan-inspired international communications centre, seems to be holding up okay.  They’re arriving by the tens of thousands.  

Toronto is not Canada, Canada is an agreement called Confederation, Toronto will be fine without Confederation, in fact Toronto already ignores it anyways, there is nowhere in Canada more Americanized than Toronto, Toronto is an American dagger driven right into the heart of Confederation now.

That being said, a lot of troops prefer the Rocky S2V,  because they're so lightweight, the most popular boot in the Canadian Army methinks, Rocky or Lowa, can't go wrong.

rkc050_resized_liz.jpg

Say for temperate cold wet weather you go Lowa, Mountain Ops Boot,  then for more tropical climes you bust out the Rocky's

Edited by Dougie93