Brexit from the European Union.

taxme

On 10/20/2019 at 7:25 AM, Zeitgeist said:

A slight majority of the people chose Brexit, but it was a highly conditional Brexit that Europe won’t accept.  The Brits won’t accept the deal that Europe will accept, so there won’t be a Brexit unless Europe decides to stop granting extensions or Britain stops asking for them.   It’s no big deal for Europe to grant endless extensions because doing so keeps Britain in Europe.  

It's simply a localized symptom of a much larger epoch in progress across the West.

The Peace of Westphalia itself is breaking down in the face of Marshall McLuhan world.

75 years of Pax Americana has rendered the masses entirely bourgeois.

All they are really equipped for; is their narrow specialization, whatever their career, and they can also cast a vote.

For anything else, they are completely useless, thus the dislocation is resulting in paralysis by analysis.

• Like 1

In the forthcoming British election there's really only two alternstives: If you want Brexit there's the Brexit-party and if you don't want Brexit there's the LibDems who have campaigned for revoking the article 50 which means canceling the outcome of the referendum because it was advisory and therefore non-binding. 

You can trust that both of these parties will stick to their policies. Both the Tories and Labour are untrustworthy from either leave or remain point of view. 

Some people say that in parliamentary elections there are also other issues but in this election it is 99% Brexit. 

Actually, this should be an extra-election instead of electing parliament until perhaps late 2024. In five years time things may have changes a lot and it would be good if there was a normal election sooner. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FPTP may deliver many odd results from constituencies with multiple candidates who can win. Apart from Brexit, Corbyn and his leadership style are an issue for some erstwhile Labour voters, particularly his response to anti-Semitism within the party. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Iceni warrior said:

There I was in 2016 thinking how can America a country of 320 million people produce two such terrible candidates for the top job.

Here I am now, looking at Corbyn and BoJo thinking damn, we're no better ourselves.

Democracy is not about producing great leaders, because leadership is not a popularity contest.

The point is not to lead, the point is to follow.

It's like George V.   He was a terrible leader, he couldn't lead a gangbang in a whorehouse, but that's how the monarchy was saved, he just went with the flow.

Democracy is simply a peaceful transfer of power, to stave off a civil war.

If you had great leaders of the opposing camps, they would lead their troops from the front into battle.

19 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

If you had great leaders of the opposing camps, they would lead their troops from the front into battle.

A great leader could fire salvoes of words rather than shells.

Strategies could be policies and battles be metaphorical with tactics pragmatic rather than ideological.

Just now, Iceni warrior said:

A great leader could fire salvoes of words rather than shells.

Strategies could be policies and battles be metaphorical with tactics pragmatic rather than ideological.

Not in this postmodern world, nobody can be convinced of anything anymore, all sides are dug in, there is no middle ground, only force can resolve such an impasse.

7 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Not in this postmodern world, nobody can be convinced of anything anymore, all sides are dug in, there is no middle ground, only force can resolve such an impasse.

Piffle.

Compromise is the best way to resolve impasse.

Violence begets violence and resolves little.

There's alway a middle ground you just have to have the will to search for it.

Edited by Iceni warrior
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Iceni warrior said:

Piffle.

Compromise is the best way to resolve impasse.

Violence begets violence and resolves little.

There's alway a middle ground you just have to have the will to search for it.

Whatever, you're naive, there's no impassioned plea nor soaring rhetoric from the Woke that will move me in the slightest, there is no middle ground.

I would not bother to appeal to them neither,  let it burn.

4 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Whatever, you're naive, there's no impassioned plea nor soaring rhetoric from the Woke that will move me in the slightest, there is no middle ground.

I would not bother to appeal to them neither,  let it burn.

You're a cynical extremist, the point is not to move the minorities on the extremes but to unite the majority to the centre.

Jaw jaw not war war.

9 minutes ago, Iceni warrior said:

You're a cynical extremist, the point is not to move the minorities on the extremes but to unite the majority to the centre.

Jaw jaw not war war.

I am not cynical, I would kill and die for my principles,  I am simply diametrically opposed to the left as currently configured, there is no middle ground with the Neo Marxist Woke.   The cynical ones are those who would throw their principles away, just to go along to get along,  a pox I say, upon the Silent Majority.

Edited by Dougie93

2 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

I am not cynical, I would kill and die for my principles,  I am simply diametrically opposed to the left as currently configured, there is no middle ground with the Neo Marxist Woke.

They too are extremists and a minority.

The majority lie somewhere inbetween and are far more open to compromise.

1 minute ago, Iceni warrior said:

They too are extremists and a minority.

The majority lie somewhere inbetween and are far more open to compromise.

The majority are a bunch of bourgeois do nothings,  perhaps they are deluded to think that they can have their freedom without a price.

Good luck to them, they will learn the hard way.

7 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

The majority are a bunch of bourgeois do nothings,  perhaps they are deluded to think that they can have their freedom without a price.

Good luck to them, they will learn the hard way.

Those harbouring wet dreams of civil war are the deluded.

Whilst there is more to lose than gain from war it will never happen. The majority have comfortable bourgeois lives and they're not going to risk them for some short sighted ideology that benefits only the extremes.

The wingnuts in America have been predicting civil war for years but a few anarchists kicking over trashcans or marching with tiki torches does not a revolution make.

Same with the rabble rousers like Farage, his predictions of blood on the streets if ''the will of the people'' is ignored have not come to pass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iceni warrior said:

Those harbouring wet dreams of civil war are the deluded.

Well it gives me so sexual gratification, but I think that both the UK and Canada are powder kegs.

The missing ingredient is fiscal and economic crisis.

Fortuitously however, the Elites have wound up a monstrous global leverage bomb which will have to unwind itself at some point.

I haven't crunched the numbers in the UK, but in Canada, 50% are on the brink of bankruptcy right now.

That's with the lowest interest rates and longest bull market in history.

Thus I foresee a reckoning, and I think it will be explosive.

Edited by Dougie93
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Such a shame that the election next week is like 95% over one issue only even though parliamentary elections should be over a wide variety of issues. 

After almost 10 years of Tory-rule there is certainly calls for a change but what can you do when the alternative is a terrorist-sympathizing Marxist. 

I wonder if Brexit ever happens will the whole farce go on and the remainers become rejoiners and the leavers become, well, outstayers. 

18 hours ago, -TSS- said:

Such a shame that the election next week is like 95% over one issue only even though parliamentary elections should be over a wide variety of issues. 

After almost 10 years of Tory-rule there is certainly calls for a change but what can you do when the alternative is a terrorist-sympathizing Marxist. 

I wonder if Brexit ever happens will the whole farce go on and the remainers become rejoiners and the leavers become, well, outstayers. 

This is going to be a tactical vote election.

You've got Sir John Major and Tony Blair both recommending voting against their own parties in certain constituencies.

Even if Boris wins a large enough majority to pass his Brexit bill that's just the start of the negotiations.

This is going to run for years.