Is this how you increase birth rates?

Argus

We always hear that we need immigrants because of our low birth rate. But I have yet to see a single proposal from the government, or even read that they have even investigated how we might increase our birth rate. I know the French have played around with this, though I'm not sure of the details. Hungary has just announced a plan to increase their birth rate by, among other things, giving women who have four children a lifelong exemption from paying income tax. They will also offer young families an interest free loan of $35,000 to get started, to be forgiven on the birth of their third child.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47192612

Great, more mouths to feed.  The world is getting hotter, the oceans are filling up with plastic, and now we hear that all the insects are going to be gone within a century.  That was the next great source of protein.  We should be paying people not to have kids.  We should have mandatory conversion therapy to convert people from straight to gay.  We should be seeding the skies with an aerosol that sterilizes humans, and then giving the antidote to a select few on application.

Edited by bcsapper

2 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Great, more mouths to feed.  The world is getting hotter, the oceans are filling up with plastic, and now we hear that all the insects are going to be gone within a century.  That was the next great source of protein.  We should be paying people not to have kids.  We should have mandatory conversion therapy to convert people from straight to gay.  We should be seeding the skies with an aerosol that sterilizes humans, and then giving the antidote to a select few on application.

Who peed in your cornflakes this morning?

2 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Naw, we just need to tax the living shit out of people like Argus until we get over this population/senior-care hump.

On 2/11/2019 at 10:04 AM, bcsapper said:

One more mouth to feed but two hands and a brain to work with.

On 2/11/2019 at 6:54 AM, Argus said:

We always hear that we need immigrants because of our low birth rate. But I have yet to see a single proposal from the government, or even read that they have even investigated how we might increase our birth rate. I know the French have played around with this, though I'm not sure of the details. Hungary has just announced a plan to increase their birth rate by, among other things, giving women who have four children a lifelong exemption from paying income tax. They will also offer young families an interest free loan of $35,000 to get started, to be forgiven on the birth of their third child.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47192612

People just don't want to have that many children. Biological evolution provides a sex drive, not a reproduction drive. Technology (birth control) de-couples the two. Many people in advanced countries are still dating, having not yet settled on a lifelong partner, when they are already past their prime child-bearing years. Probably the only way government can substantially raise birth rates is either through coercion (i.e. you have x kids or you pay massive penalties / go to jail) or through massive incentives (not just small incentives to make it less expensive, but huge ones that significantly outweigh other considerations). In the US/Canada, you'd probably need an incentive on order of about 10x the average yearly salary to significantly boost birth rates. $500k per child (maybe paid as $2300/month for 18 years) or so. Possibly still cheaper than the long term costs/effects of mass immigration or population collapse, though. 

On 2/11/2019 at 10:05 AM, Argus said:

Who peed in your cornflakes this morning?

It was cold, and I had to work outside...

Still, I'm very much of the opinion that fewer is better when it comes to people.

46 minutes ago, Bonam said:

People just don't want to have that many children. Biological evolution provides a sex drive, not a reproduction drive.

Actually, it provides both. Though that drive is stronger in women.

46 minutes ago, Bonam said:

Technology (birth control) de-couples the two. Many people in advanced countries are still dating, having not yet settled on a lifelong partner, when they are already past their prime child-bearing years.

Some are, many are not. Incentives won't inspire everyone to have multiple kids but they will inspire SOME. A lot of women in that mushy middle area who have jobs - but not very good jobs, not very rewarding jobs, who actually would like to have more kids will be inspired to do so.

Feminism didn't so much free women from being chained to the kitchen as chain them to the grindstone like all the men. A very few have rewarding careers, while most have 'jobs', which are not particularly exciting, rewarding or inspiring. But given all those new bodies in the job lines, salaries have dropped to the point both partners have to work to have a reasonably comfortable life.

On 2/11/2019 at 11:09 AM, Dougie93 said:

That's already the case, that is why the birth rates have declined.  The more wealthy we become, the less children we have.  

Hence the OP.  Like I said, I just think fewer is better. 

1 minute ago, bcsapper said:

It was cold, and I had to work outside...

Still, I'm very much of the opinion that fewer is better when it comes to people.

Fewer in starving, impoverished parts of the world, maybe. Fewer in parts of the world filled with ignorance and intolerance and religious fanaticism, sure. But not fewer in the civilized parts of the world.

Just now, Argus said:

Fewer in starving, impoverished parts of the world, maybe. Fewer in parts of the world filled with ignorance and intolerance and religious fanaticism, sure. But not fewer in the civilized parts of the world.

Can't be done without forced sterilization.  I'd chip in, but there would be a lot of folk against the idea.

Of course, if we could get that tosser in Rome to actually do something useful, well, who knows?

1 minute ago, Dougie93 said:

I'm on mission.   My wife and I raise dogs and horses, no wailing bairns up in here, I assure you.

Love dogs.  Scared of horses. No phobia, just afraid of getting kicked.

3 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Can't be done without forced sterilization.  I'd chip in, but there would be a lot of folk against the idea.

Yeah. But the future of the planet doesn't look very bright if the population of those parts of the world keeps exploding while the population dwindles away in the civilized parts of the world.

The greater danger is the horse falling and rolling over on top of you.   My wife broke her leg that way while show jumping.

You also don't have to start off with a big horse, medieval knights only rode their warhorses into battle, the rest of the time they rode small horses.

Edited by Dougie93

Hungary can propose something like that because there are hardly any third-world immigrants in that country. T

Their problem isnt immigration but emigration as hundreds of thousands have moved to the west.

50 years of communism which destroyed their economy like elsewhere in Eastern-Europe ended 30 years ago and those countries still arent on their feet. That is all you need to know about communism. 

In developed countries like Canada,we have very low birth rates compared to third world places which always have high birth rates.They have great difficulty feeding themselves and having a decent standard of living but they will always have too many babies. Now they come over here in great numbers and still have lot's of babies and probably tend to be more dependant on things like welfare.

Ideally I would like to see the world population stabilized. Two children should be the norm for most couples.I agree that overpopulation is a serious problem.As usual,the burden  will fall entirely on Western democracies. I don't know the best way to encourage a higher birth rate among native born Canadians beyond very enticing tax incentives of some kind.

On 2/13/2019 at 11:30 AM, ironstone said:

In developed countries like Canada,we have very low birth rates compared to third world places which always have high birth rates.They have great difficulty feeding themselves and having a decent standard of living but they will always have too many babies. Now they come over here in great numbers and still have lot's of babies and probably tend to be more dependant on things like welfare.

Ideally I would like to see the world population stabilized. Two children should be the norm for most couples.I agree that overpopulation is a serious problem.As usual,the burden  will fall entirely on Western democracies. I don't know the best way to encourage a higher birth rate among native born Canadians beyond very enticing tax incentives of some kind.

You would need a culture shift towards family focused as opposed to career focused. It is great to empower women to pursue careers but it inevitably leads to them putting off child rearing.

On 2/16/2019 at 4:14 PM, SyncreticParty said:

You would need a culture shift towards family focused as opposed to career focused. It is great to empower women to pursue careers but it inevitably leads to them putting off child rearing.

And the irony is that most women have no careers. They have jobs. And most of them don't even like their jobs.