Donald Trump (in 3 paragraphs)

21 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Fine...then why isn't Canada "leading" the free world ?  

Why so dependent and impacted by Donald Trump's decisions and actions...or any American president ?

Its called size. I know you don't get that what you being so big.

On 11/2/2018 at 9:03 PM, August1991 said:

Agreed. Good point.

====

Obama's body language was open, dove.

Trump's body language is hawkish.

===========

But Wilber,

Obama people (freedom of speech) seem hawks in defending their viewpoints.

I would say you may be right but I think the more probable theory isTrump is constipated. 

Edited by Rue

On 10/29/2018 at 10:17 PM, bush_cheney2004 said:

Hillary Clinton ran away from the media....Donald Trump has rough sex with the media...and the media still likes it.

I think you project your own sexual fantasy with Sarah Huckabee. I also think if you want to talk such theories understand who Mrs. Trump is and how she makes Donald's hair that yellow colour. 

Ms BC. May I say our media is concerned about your mid terms because we are getting an influx of individuals from the US crossing our borders illegally. I appreciate they are tanned and do not speak English, but surely we should tone down the rhetoric which is only fueling chaos. I mean really dear do you have enough soldiers for all of the Mexican and Canadian borders? Who will be left to invade Venezuela?

1 minute ago, Rue said:

Ms BC. May I say our media is concerned about your mid terms because we are getting an influx of individuals from the US crossing our borders illegally. I appreciate they are tanned and do not speak English, but surely we should tone down the rhetoric which is only fueling chaos. I mean really dear do you have enough soldiers for all of the Mexican and Canadian borders? Who will be left to invade Venezuela?

Yes...we have many more "soldiers" than Canada, and they will not be carrying luggage across the border for illegals like you guys.

Trump dominates Canadian news media...a true ratings leader !

39 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Yes...we have many more "soldiers" than Canada, and they will not be carrying luggage across the border for illegals like you guys.

Trump dominates Canadian news media...a true ratings leader !

How many of the pre-movie newsreels did Hitler dominate?  Power in and of itself is neither good nor bad.  You value circuses above all else.  What’s important is the agenda that gets advanced through the media.  Media is a communications tool, nothing more.  I agree that Trump understands media well and how to propagandize. 

3 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

How many of the pre-movie newsreels did Hitler dominate?  Power in and of itself is neither good nor bad.  You value circuses above all else.  What’s important is the agenda that gets advanced through the media.  Media is a communications tool, nothing more.  I agree that Trump understands media well and how to propagandize. 

This was true of Canadian news media long before Trump.   Canada voraciously consumes American media of all types....voluntarily.

18 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Why wouldn’t we?  You’re our neighbor, 10 times our size, and we have a common language.  

So is Mexico...but they manage to get by without protectionist "cultural" barriers while gulping so much Yankee media.

Trump sets the agenda...so Canada pays attention.

2 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

So is Mexico...but they manage to get by without protectionist "cultural" barriers while gulping so much Yankee media.

Trump sets the agenda...so Canada pays attention.

I wouldn't give him that much weight.  If you think he's so powerful, you should be worried for your country, let alone the rest of the world.

7 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I wouldn't give him that much weight.  If you think he's so powerful, you should be worried for your country, let alone the rest of the world.

You don't have to...Canadian media does it anyway.    It is Trump or a derivative of Trump 24/7...just wait until Tuesday night.

The fate of the world is not America's burden, but Canada can carry the load if it wants to.  Good luck with that.....

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

You don't have to...Canadian media does it anyway.    It is Trump or a derivative of Trump 24/7...just wait until Tuesday night.

The fate of the world is not America's burden, but Canada can carry the load if it wants to.  Good luck with that.....

What I find concerning is that there are many out there, not just in the U.S., who think they should be taken care of and that one person is capable of doing this.  Echoes of czarist Russia and 30's fascism.  No one person should wield that much power.  Hope that your system of checks and balances works...

1 hour ago, Zeitgeist said:

What I find concerning is that there are many out there, not just in the U.S., who think they should be taken care of and that one person is capable of doing this.  Echoes of czarist Russia and 30's fascism.  No one person should wield that much power.  Hope that your system of checks and balances works...

It does...a Canadian prime minister with a ruling majority has more unchecked power than a U.S. president, including funding.

Donald Trump is just another U.S. president.

• 2 weeks later...

Weird thread (wld love to quote better but software makes it difficult). I note that Zeitgeist wrote this:

Zeitgeist: We support the US government in most areas.  I don’t like the level of impact.  It becomes an issue every so often: Vietnam, invasion of Iraq...

Then...

On 11/3/2018 at 5:03 PM, DogOnPorch said:

A lot of folks think the US invaded South Viet-Nam. Historians know that it was the NVA doing all the real invadin'...

=====

I recently spent some time in Vietnam. IMHO, Vietnam (like China) has adopted the Lee Kuan Yew Singapore model: Free markets.

Those young American men who died in Vietnam made it possible for me to travel in Asia.

Like Dunkerque, Vietnam was a battle in a larger war.

I reckon that with the collapse of the Soviet Union, America won. (Que Dieu nous bénisse - can I say that?)

Edited by August1991
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, August1991 said:

I recently spent some time in Vietnam. IMHO, Vietnam (like China) has adopted the Lee Kuan Yew Singapore model: Free markets.

Those young American men who died in Vietnam made it possible for me to travel in Asia.

Like Dunkerque, Vietnam was a battle in a larger war.

I reckon that with the collapse of the Soviet Union, America won. (Que Dieu me bénisse - can I say that?)

The North started sending troops into South Viet-Nam starting in 1959 via the Ho Chi Minh Trail and the DMZ violating SVN, Cambodia and Laos in the process. Plain of Jars and all that stuff...

Edited by DogOnPorch

18 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

The North started sending troops into South Viet-Nam starting in 1959 via the Ho Chi Minh Trail and the DMZ violating both SVN, Cambodia and Laos in the process. Plain of Jars and all that stuff...

The North was supported by the Soviets and the Maoist Red Chinese - both now defeated. Maoist China and the Soviet Union both lost, they no longer exist.

America won.

Vietnam was not a war. It was a battle. It was an important battle in winning a larger war which America ultimately won.

=====

The resolve of JFK and LBJ was correct - and of many young American boys, I am simply truly, thankful. Reagan (and me in my travels) merely collected the benefit.

Edited by August1991
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, August1991 said:

The North was supported by the Soviets and the Maoist Red Chinese - both now defeated. Maoist China and the Soviet Union both lost, they no longer exist.

America won.

Vietnam was not a war. It was a battle. It was an important battle in winning a larger war which America ultimately won.

=====

The resolve of JFK and LBJ was correct - and of many young American boys, I am simply truly, thankful. Reagan (and me in my travels) merely collected the benefit.

I took great interest in the war in SEA...both at the time and after. There are some great histories written...both by journalists and military historians. Very colourful...for a war. It took place on so many levels and you allude.

Most people are unaware that rather than Viet-Nam being an all-American War, it was actually the SEATO Nations that participated. This included Australia/NZ, South Korea, Thailand and the Philippines who all sent troops to fight in the South. 

download.jpg.1a0b0cd44c7a40ec69585b4cf27b3492.jpg1575160.jpg.4b40962dce1d8524d73bc154f125c0a2.jpgdownload.jpg.8c8a71461fedb862676af5a58510c335.jpg51rMkf9z9ZL._AC_US218_.jpg.c90a4c7fad10384510b932f853252398.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Most people are unaware that rather than Viet-Nam being an all-American War, it was actually the SEATO Nations that participated. This included Australia/NZ, South Korea, Thailand and the Philippines who all sent troops to fight in the South.

Canada's military had little to do with Vietnam - except as a UN player. I was surprised about Australia until I learned about America and Japan and Darwin.

=====

Canadian soldiers fought in Korea.

The US lost Vietnam and sent soldiers home.  The was was painful, protracted, involved lottery conscription (the draft), and extremely expensive.  More troublesome was the secret CIA military involvement prior to the war, which included selling opium to fund war.  I was a close observer of the collapse of the Soviet Union and spent time there before and after the collapse (China never collapsed, though the farming policies and Cultural Revolution cost it greatly).  Both systems transformed due to the economic advantages and political freedom offered by western liberal democracy.  Voice of America radio and the black market flood of western goods such as Levi’s or instant coffee played a much greater role in the transformation than the arms race.  It’s expensive to occupy countries and impose  economic and political systems that don’t represent the interests of the people.  Such systems collapse from within when better systems exist in the world for all to see.  Yes, a form of Cold War was probably inevitable, but trade and political engagement, such as that between Gorbachev and Reagan, were more important than outspending the Russians on arms. Russians were hungry for Glasnost (openness) and Perestroika (economic reform).  Same goes for China. Russia actually moved too fast, handed off the state enterprises to oligarchs, and got a quasi-fascist backlash with Putin, where they are today, trying to reestablish the empire some feel they lost (though the Soviets shouldn’t really have had it in the first place). 

On 11/14/2018 at 10:04 AM, Zeitgeist said:

The US lost Vietnam...

Uh?

The US lost Vietnam in the same sense that Churchill/Dunkerque lost WWII.

=====

America won.

In Vietnam today, as in China - people use the market system to co-operate.

====

Everyone in Vietnam, every Vietnamese today, owes a tremendous debt to a name on that black wall in Washington.

Everyone in Vietnam today knows that America won.

But... why?

Edited by August1991