The second amendment is failing the USA : Another school shooting!

The problem I have with handguns is they are easily concealed. Yes, that does allow concealed carry as a deterrent, but it also allows the bad guys to get closer to their targets before being spotted. I am not in favor of having a lot of guns as part of normal everyday society, too much opportunity for loss, accidental discharge (we recently learned from Saskatchewan that guns fire themselves B)), theft, children accessing them as we have seen in many incidences in the US, and escalation of violence.

Of course my previous comment on 3 round magazine limit would need to apply as well. I see the suggestion for 8 rounds, but I can't see how that is justified. Most handguns today average how many rounds, my guess would be 12-15.

On a related note, what are peoples thoughts about keeping a round in the chamber or with the hammer cocked? While it reduces your react time, it also increases the chances of accidental discharge greatly. I think the inherent dangers should make it an illegal practice.

6 hours ago, Omni said:

So you would be happy if the Cruz's of the world would continue to be allowed to buy assault rifles.  

Of course not, and if you had even an ounce of reading comprehension you'd know that.  The gaps and weaknesses in the system go way beyond what brand of gun the guy picked up.  Suppose, instead of an AR, he had a handgun and a half dozen magazines or speed loaders?  Could he not have done the same thing?

2 hours ago, ?Impact said:

The problem I have with handguns is they are easily concealed. Yes, that does allow concealed carry as a deterrent, but it also allows the bad guys to get closer to their targets before being spotted. I am not in favor of having a lot of guns as part of normal everyday society, too much opportunity for loss, accidental discharge (we recently learned from Saskatchewan that guns fire themselves B)), theft, children accessing them as we have seen in many incidences in the US, and escalation of violence.

Of course my previous comment on 3 round magazine limit would need to apply as well. I see the suggestion for 8 rounds, but I can't see how that is justified. Most handguns today average how many rounds, my guess would be 12-15.

On a related note, what are peoples thoughts about keeping a round in the chamber or with the hammer cocked? While it reduces your react time, it also increases the chances of accidental discharge greatly. I think the inherent dangers should make it an illegal practice.

I used 8 as an example because Omni figures that revolvers (some of which take 8 rounds) are OK, while wanting to take away semi-autos.  If he thinks an 8 round revolver is good, no reason why an 8 round magazine in any gun would not be OK.

36 minutes ago, Boges said:

This is what one says when they have no rebuttal. 

What are real world practical purposes for an assault rifle that don't involve murdering people? 

Well, they make you feel powerful and like you don't have to take shit from anyone...mind you a six-pack of beer can do that too.

16 hours ago, Hal 9000 said:

Ok, I don't see an issue with school shootings in Canada, but for the US, I would certainly support the innitiative to have armed security in schools.

Why is there not an issue with school shootings in Canada do you think?

13 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

I don't have any problem with additional layers of gun control restrictions/checks as long as they do not infringe on Americans' constitutional right to possess and bear firearms.   

Ah yes, that constitutional right to bear arms. Let us examine that again. 

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

So then. Here is a proposal. Those who want hunting rifles and shotguns - lever action or bolt action rifles, can get them after taking a safety course and passing a background check. Those who want semi-automatic weapons, which are military style weapons, have to join the National Guard. After all, the entire purpose of the right to bear arms is for a well regulated militia, so this would seem quite logical and legally consistent.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hal 9000 said:

Of course not, and if you had even an ounce of reading comprehension you'd know that.  The gaps and weaknesses in the system go way beyond what brand of gun the guy picked up.  Suppose, instead of an AR, he had a handgun and a half dozen magazines or speed loaders?  Could he not have done the same thing?

You must not be familiar with guns if you don't understand the difference between a pop gun and an AR 15. The latter is designed as a killing machine while the former is typically for protection. Your chances of running away and being safe from someone gone nuts with a pistol are far higher that with an assault rifle. But the point, once again, is that anybody who wants to buy whatever kind of gun should have to be screened for such things as Oh, say broadcasting on facebook "I wanna become a school shooter". 

2 hours ago, Omni said:

You must not be familiar with guns if you don't understand the difference between a pop gun and an AR 15. The latter is designed as a killing machine while the former is typically for protection. Your chances of running away and being safe from someone gone nuts with a pistol are far higher that with an assault rifle. But the point, once again, is that anybody who wants to buy whatever kind of gun should have to be screened for such things as Oh, say broadcasting on facebook "I wanna become a school shooter". 

We all agree on that.  Never has anyone ever said differently.  You'll have to take that up with the police, the school and the FBI.

3 hours ago, Argus said:

Why is there not an issue with school shootings in Canada do you think?

We have a different culture.  We deal with mental issues differently.  We have the same guns, but better screening.  I'm not a gun-nut, I have no restricted weapons, although I'm certified to have them.  I think that simply blaming guns is way too easy, it's removing responsibility from where it belongs, and as long as we do that and nothing more, we'll be faced with this problem again.

Omni and the other lefties think they'll take AR-15's away and like magic, school shootings will disappear - they wont! 

2 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

We all agree on that.  Never has anyone ever said differently.  You'll have to take that up with the police, the school and the FBI.

Actually who it needs to be taken up with is the US congress. Those are the people who can enact laws to keep guns out of the hands of school shooter wacko's, and put restrictions on the types of guns designed solely for such activity.  

Concerning the FBI dropping the ball on the youtube comment, I have seen so many comments on youtube, etc. that could be considered threatening that the FBI would have to hire tens of thousands of agents to track them down. Infowarts is a prime example of a comment board that is rife with threatening comments. Now I don`t recall any hinting at shooting up a school, so perhaps in this case it was beyond. Most just want to off their (no so) favorite political figure(s).

In this particular case though the FBI were warned at least once, (possibly twice) about the Cruz' comments and it seems it slipped through the cracks and the FBI have admitted that. Of course  one wonders how many such inputs they regularly get, and how much manpower would it take to follow up on them all. An internal investigation is ongoing so we shall see what it reveals. 

10 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

Concerning the FBI dropping the ball on the youtube comment, I have seen so many comments on youtube, etc. that could be considered threatening that the FBI would have to hire tens of thousands of agents to track them down. Infowarts is a prime example of a comment board that is rife with threatening comments. Now I don`t recall any hinting at shooting up a school, so perhaps in this case it was beyond. Most just want to off their (no so) favorite political figure(s).

I know it's popular for the left to side with the FBI these days - y'know, because of Trump, but they were called repeatedly on that guy and did nothing. 

1 minute ago, Hal 9000 said:

I know it's popular for the left to side with the FBI these days - y'know, because of Trump, but they were called repeatedly on that guy and did nothing. 

I know it's popular for the "non-left" to interpret everything they see as some leftist conspiracy theory. You can't make a simple observation these days without getting cut off at the knees and called a leftist.

10 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

I know it's popular for the "non-left" to interpret everything they see as some leftist conspiracy theory. You can't make a simple observation these days without getting cut off at the knees and called a leftist.

Well, C'mon the FBI screwed the pooch - we all know it!  So did the local police - we know that too!  What are you defending...and why?  Anyone who can defend the FBI on this front must have ulterior motives. 

1 minute ago, Hal 9000 said:

Well, C'mon the FBI screwed the pooch - we all know it!  So did the local police - we know that too!  What are you defending...and why?  Anyone who can defend the FBI on this front must have ulterior motives. 

observation defending

Should the FBI prioritize leads? Which ones should be followed up? How much effort should be spent trying to track down each lead?

2 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

The most obvious ulterior motive currently on this issue is Trump's trying to say the FBI missed Cruz because they were investigating Russian hacking on his election.

9 minutes ago, Omni said:

The most obvious ulterior motive currently on this issue is Trump's trying to say the FBI missed Cruz because they were investigating Russian hacking on his election.

That's obviously doubtful, but the fact remains, the FBI bungled this and 17 people are dead.  Remember "see something, say something". 

In all honesty, I have said for many years now, probably since the 80's that the US's biggest problems are the disconnect between law enforcement agencies.  Here, almost everything goes through the RCMP, in the states, there are so many levels of law enforcement that some people surely fall through the cracks. 

6 hours ago, Kerfuffle said:

Cadet bone spur speaks

President Donald Trump said Monday he would have stormed into the Florida high school to stop the gunman perpetrating the nation's latest mass shooting "even if I didn't have a weapon" His doctor weighed in saying that Trump's bone spur prevented him from doing so.

Well, the thing is he'd have fifty heavily armed Secret Service agents around him, so...