The second amendment is failing the USA : Another school shooting!

6 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

Solutions like a registry that allows tracking a weapon back from a crime? I don't consider people who sell or give away weapons to improperly licensed folks to be law abiding, neither do I consider people who are lax in storing and securing their firearms.

Well, lets hear your suggestions on how to reduce either gun violence or school shootings.

46 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

Well, lets hear your suggestions on how to reduce either gun violence or school shootings.

Let’s hear your suggestions to improve gun violence and lifelong psychological and physical injuries from weapons made for warfare. Especially if they took place in the Fraser valley where your children may have attended.  Btw 138 school children gunned down since 2014. Let’s tell these parents how Hal will improve these stats  

Edited by WestCoastRunner

3 minutes ago, WestCoastRunner said:

Let’s hear your suggestions to improve gun violence and lifelong psychological and physical injuries from weapons made for warfare. Especially if they took place in the Fraser valley where your children may have attended.  

Are you talking about general gun violence or school shootings, because I've given suggestions for both.

11 minutes ago, WestCoastRunner said:

School shootings

Ok, I don't see an issue with school shootings in Canada, but for the US, I would certainly support the innitiative to have armed security in schools.  Second, I would have the schools notify the police when they expel or notice a specific threat from a student (something that didn't happen in the recent incident), I would consider metal detectors and if certain teachers or school staff wanted to have a firearm in a safe in their classroom, I would encourage them to have special training and allow that to happen.  We pay extra for teachers who carry first aid certificates, why not for having a defense ticket.  I would raise the age requirement for purchasing firearms.  I would establish male councellors who actually council students and can identify future problems. 

How about you?

Edited by Hal 9000

1 minute ago, Hal 9000 said:

Ok, I don't see an issue with school shootings in Canada, but for the US, I would certainly support the innitiative to have armed security in schools.  Second, I would have the schools notify the police when they expel or notice a specific threat from a student (something that didn't happen in the recent incident), I would consider metal detectors and if certain teachers or school staff wanted to have a firearm in a safe in their classroom, I would encourage them to have special training and allow that to happen.  We pay extra for teachers who carry first aid certificates, why not for having a defense ticket.  I would establish male councellors who actually council students and can identify future problems. 

How about you?

Just as I thought. Let’s leave responsibility to keep kids safe With the schools instead of holding NRA lobbyists accountable. Is that what you are saying?  

6 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

Ok, I don't see an issue with school shootings in Canada, but for the US, I would certainly support the innitiative to have armed security in schools.  Second, I would have the schools notify the police when they expel or notice a specific threat from a student (something that didn't happen in the recent incident), I would consider metal detectors and if certain teachers or school staff wanted to have a firearm in a safe in their classroom, I would encourage them to have special training and allow that to happen.  We pay extra for teachers who carry first aid certificates, why not for having a defense ticket.  I would raise the age requirement for purchasing firearms.  I would establish male councellors who actually council students and can identify future problems. 

How about you?

Why don’t you see an issue with Canadian school shootings? Can we explore that?

Just now, Hal 9000 said:

I gave my thoughts, now it's your turn.

I gave my thoughts, now it's your turn.

I am just seeking clarification. You choose not to hold NRA lobbyists accountable even though they get paid millions upon millions contributions from gun manufacturers and even a percentage of sales. This is why the NRA needs to be held accountable. They have an agenda that is hidden from millions of parents. 

Of course you, like every lefty has no real ideas other than to assign blame.  Being held accountable is quite different than preventing another incident.  How is the NRA responsible for the latest incident anyway?  Would you hold Planned Parenthood responsible for all the abortions that happen in the USA?

6 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

Of course you, like every lefty has no real ideas other than to assign blame.  Being held accountable is quite different than preventing another incident.  How is the NRA responsible for the latest incident anyway?  Would you hold Planned Parenthood responsible for all the abortions that happen in the USA?

The nra won’t consider a ban on assault weapons, raising age to purchase them, refusing to ban accessories to convert them to warfare weaponry. Refusing more stringent background checks. 

10 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

Did you even reflect on their hidden agenda?

5 minutes ago, WestCoastRunner said:

The nra won’t consider a ban on assault weapons, raising age to purchase them, refusing to ban accessories to convert them to warfare weaponry. Refusing more stringent background checks. 

None of that is up to them.  That's all Congress and the President...and Trump has already stated that he'd go against the NRA on those issues.  And, it's not really a partisan issue because Obama didn't have the votes even when he had a super majority. 

Anyway, it makes no sense to assume that somehow the NRA can do anything about school shootings.  You can wring your hands all you want, but they have nothing to do with it. 

P.S - We have all those same weapons in Canada, so it's not really so much about guns as it is about something else in their culture.

Edited by Hal 9000

None of that is up to them.  That's all Congress and the President...and Trump has already stated that he'd go against them on those issues.  And, it's not really a partisan issue because Obama didn't have the votes even when he had a super majority. 

Anyway, it makes no sense to assume that somehow the NRA can do anything about school shootings.  You can wring your hands all you want, but they have nothing to do with it. 

P.S - We have all those same weapons in Canada, so it's not really so much about guns as it is about something else in their culture.

Ok hal. Whatever you say. You can only contribute as much as you are informed. I get it. 

1 minute ago, WestCoastRunner said:

Ok hal. Whatever you say 

I'd like to know where i'm wrong.  You see, you've asked me for solutions...or at least ideas, but you're not interested in ideas, only blame - misguided blame. 

Why did the school ask to be notified if he had a back-pack, yet refused to report their obvious concerns to police?  Why did the police show up to his house 39 times (mostly for violent reports) and say/do nothing?  Why did the FBI do nothing after several direct complaints?  Why did the family "not know" anything?  There is a lot of blame, but no, it's gotta be the NRA's fault.

Just now, Hal 9000 said:

I'd like to know where i'm wrong.  You see, you've asked me for solutions...or at least ideas, but you're not interested in ideas, only blame - misguided blame. 

Why did the school ask to be notified if he had a back-pack, yet refused to report their obvious concerns to police?  Why did the police show up to his house 39 times (mostly for violent reports) and say/do nothing?  Why did the FBI do nothing after several direct complaints?  Why did the family "not know" anything?  There is a lot of blame, but no, it's gotta be the NRA's fault.

I have no doubt there were major fuckups. Lots of unanswered questions. Many many organizations are to be held responsible. 

14 minutes ago, WestCoastRunner said:

Honestly can some of you people just reflect on the NRA and how they are financed? 

I think you've raised some some interesting points. I don't fully understand the role the NRA plays in "lobbying", if that's what they do, for gun rights.

Just now, OftenWrong said:

I think you've raised some some interesting points. I don't fully understand the role the NRA plays in "lobbying", if that's what they do, for gun rights.

That’s awesome for you to keep an open mind. You can do your own research. It’s clearly spelled out on many sites their original intent and how much they have succumbed to money 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Hal 9000 said:

Thinking about lobbying, how about that douche of a sheriff lobbying against the NRA (Dana Loesch) on CNN while knowing that his officers hid behind their cars until the shooting stopped - he should be fired immediately.  How about some accountability from those bastards? 

I agree. Full Accountability is required. If one of my children was in that school I’d be looking for answers. 

4 minutes ago, WestCoastRunner said:

That’s awesome for you to keep an open mind. You can do your own research. It’s clearly spelled out on many sites their original intent and how much they have succumbed to money 

Thanks, I keep an open mind when people present intelligent ideas without trolling!

I found that the NRA is already opposing any changes to gun laws proposed by the US government-
Gun lobby pushes back on Trump's gun plans after Florida shooting
The National Rifle Association pushed back on Sunday against modest proposals by President Donald Trump and other Republicans to change U.S. gun laws after a school shooting in Florida that killed 17 students and staff. The powerful gun lobby group does not support Trump’s proposals to raise the age limit for buying certain types of guns and to ban bump stocks that enable semi-automatic rifles to shoot hundreds of rounds a minute, a spokeswoman said on ABC’s “This Week.”

Should be interesting to see how far this goes, whether Trump will cave to them, or force his ideas through.