Happy Thanksgiving to all.

PIK

21 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

That is what it sounded like.  That's the language, I guess.  You don't have to like it.

Any pointing out would have been a joke.

No, that is NOT what it sounded like. You, yourself stated that. 

How come you, and every other sentient English speaking human on the planet understands fully in speech when no one adds an apostrophe. 

Michael was simply trying to show off. 

2 minutes ago, hot enough said:

No, that is NOT what it sounded like. You, yourself stated that. 

How come you, and every other sentient English speaking human on the planet understands fully in speech when no one adds an apostrophe. 

Michael was simply trying to show off. 

Looked like? 

Like I said, just because it wasn't taken seriously does not mean that was not what it looked like.  It did look like that. 

If you don't like sounded like that.

1 minute ago, hot enough said:

Has this got your panties in a bunch?

Does it have to for me to comment?  Does my interpretation of Army Guy's "moms" have yours in a bunch?

Or are we just a couple of bored people having a chat?

21 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Like I said, just because it wasn't taken seriously does not mean that was not what it looked like.  It did look like that. 

bcsapper: Nobody thinks Army Guy was cooking neighbourhood mothers, but as that's what it sounded like, it was worthy of comment.

This is how people who know nothing about language react even when they themselves don't think the nutty notion is realistic. These are "kibitzers and nudniks", someone tells them something goofy about language and they run to repeat it, thinking it makes them look smart.

3 minutes ago, hot enough said:

bcsapper: Nobody thinks Army Guy was cooking neighbourhood mothers, but as that's what it sounded like, it was worthy of comment.

This is how people who know nothing about language react even when they themselves don't think the nutty notion is realistic. These are "kibitzers and nudniks", someone tells them something goofy about language and they run to repeat it, thinking it makes them look smart.

That's why it was a joke.  Because it looked like he was, even though he really wasn't.

I don't know enough about computers to include pictures...

On 10/7/2017 at 9:44 PM, hot enough said:

There should not have been this influx of refugees and the ones that are to blame are always to blame get away with genocide.

How does radical Islam take over the world. Turn thier countries into a cesspool and force people to leave their own countries and beg for help from others and we in the west are evil. lol  Everybody is trying to get here, nobody wants to go there and yet again the west is evil. Gays and women have great freedoms here ,but yet over there they will be killed or just raped and then killed. But yet the west is evil. Women here get to have a education, over there ,not a chance. But yet the west is evil. Idiots from here go backpacking in afghanistan and get kidnapped, yet the west is evil. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, PIK said:

How does radical Islam take over the world. Turn thier countries into a cesspool and force people to leave their own countries and beg for help from others and we in the west are evil. lol  Everybody is trying to get here, nobody wants to go there and yet again the west is evil. Gays and women have great freedoms here ,but yet over there they will be killed or just raped and then killed. But yet the west is evil. Women here get to have a education, over there ,not a chance. But yet the west is evil. Idiots from here go backpacking in afghanistan and get kidnapped, yet the west is evil. 

A lot of idiots choose to stay home in their little bubbles forever, hence they remain idiots. A little travel often helps resolve that.

5 hours ago, bcsapper said:

That's why it was a joke.  Because it looked like he was, even though he really wasn't.

I don't know enough about computers to include pictures...

You don't know enough about English or, evidently, logic to be making these kinds of statements.

Reality [and you, which I have had to point out to you at least twice] says AG was not saying that. The only one who was suggesting such a totally crazy, nonsensical, goofy notion was Michael Hardner, which I have suggested he garnered from Lynne Truss or some other crazy, goofy prescriptivist. 

Let me TRY to explain it to you once more - these goofy prescriptivists often try to make their language points by reducing their arguments to total absurdities. The only joke was Michael's attempted correction and you, sticking up for him, because you assumed the same nutty absurdity.

Edited by hot enough

17 minutes ago, hot enough said:

You don't know enough about English or, evidently, logic to be making these kinds of statements.

Reality [and you, which I have had to point out to you at least twice] says AG was not saying that. The only one who was suggesting such a totally crazy, nonsensical, goofy notion was Michael Hardner, which I have suggested he garnered from Lynne Truss or some other crazy, goofy prescriptivist. 

Let me TRY to explain it to you once more - these goofy prescriptivists often try to make their language points by reducing their arguments to total absurdities. The only joke was Michael's attempted correction and you, sticking up for him, because you assumed the same nutty absurdity.

Let me try to explain it to you.  Pay attention.

Nobody said AG was saying that.  His error in punctuation made it look like he was.  Laughter all round, which would not be the case if he actually was a cannibal. 

MH simply acknowledged the problems that can occur when people inadvertently omit apostrophes, just as the title of the book you seem to hate so much did with commas.  I did too, before MH, but on reflection it wasn't funny, so I deleted it.

20 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Let me try to explain it to you.  Pay attention.

Nobody said AG was saying that.  His error in punctuation made it look like he was.  Laughter all round, which would not be the case if he actually was a cannibal. 

MH simply acknowledged the problems that can occur when people inadvertently omit apostrophes, just as the title of the book you seem to hate so much did with commas.  I did too, before MH, but on reflection it wasn't funny, so I deleted it.

You seem to hold this weird notion that you are making some sense. I understand all the factual issues that have occurred here. What you don't have the slightest conception of are the language issues. 

MH thought he was pointing himself up as a language guru when he, also, knows nothing of language. As I said, these "language gurus" make the most ludicrous suggestions to illustrate how bright they are, when it is they who are being ludicrous. 

I do hate idiots like Lynne Truss pretending they know of language when they most certainly do not. Why have you gone to such great lengths to illustrate that you endeavor to include yourself?

1 minute ago, hot enough said:

You seem to hold this weird notion that you are making some sense. I understand all the factual issues that have occurred here. What you don't have the slightest conception of are the language issues. 

MH thought he was pointing himself up as a language guru when he, also, knows nothing of language. As I said, these "language gurus" make the most ludicrous suggestions to illustrate how bright they are, when it is they who are being ludicrous. 

I do hate idiots like Lynne Truss pretending they know of language when they most certainly do not. Why have you gone to such great lengths to illustrate that you endeavor to include yourself?

It's a common misconception, that making sense thing.  

5 minutes ago, hot enough said:

I think finally, you are beginning to understand, which can be seen by how you are now [and always] backing out of the room, mumbling about how something urgent has arisen. 

No I'm not. There's that misconception thing again. 

You've set yourself up as some kind of language guru and you're pissed off that I'm not taking you seriously. Sorry.  It's never my intention to upset anyone. 

Edited by bcsapper

13 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

No I'm not. There's that misconception thing again. 

Youve set yourself up as some kind of language guru and you're pissed off that I'm not taking you seriously. Sorry.  It's never my intention to upset anyone. 

I'm not the least bit upset. I know of language boobs. 

I am some kind of language guru and I know from MH's nonsensical post and your jumping in the pool to save him that neither of you are remotely close to even being remotely competent at explaining language. 

5 minutes ago, hot enough said:

I'm not the least bit upset. I know of language boobs. 

I am some kind of language guru and I know from MH's nonsensical post and your jumping in the pool to save him that neither of you are remotely close to even being remotely competent at explaining language. 

Well, at least you're not upset. 

On 10/12/2017 at 1:11 PM, PIK said:

What scares me, is he does not want to be ''the son'' anymore and it doing stupid things to break away from his father's shadow and I think daddy might not be overly pleased with some of his son's decisions.

Justin Trudeau is a son.

Pierre Trudeau was a father.

=====

People like Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan are leaders.

Heck, even Trudeau father was a leader.

23 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Nothing.  It's perfect.

But then they changed it to Tim Hortons.

The bastards.  Thing's havent been the same since.

From my understanding an American corporation has taken over Timmy's. And we all know what that means? Profit before taste or service. 

15 hours ago, August1991 said:

Justin Trudeau is a son.

Pierre Trudeau was a father.

This sounds like something spoken by that blind old Chinese man who you used to see in the opening credits of 'Kung Fu'.  We should be able rely on each other for trenchant analysis here.  

Trudeau Sr. was an economic nationalist but five years after he was out of office that idea was as dated as 1970s haircuts and bell bottoms.  Now there's a global quest for international capital that is redefining economic relations everywhere, and changing society to the point where the cutting edge of Republic economics in 2017 mirrors that of 1970s Trudeau.  2017 Trudeau is the opposite of his dad. Ow, what a world.  Ow. Ow. Ow.

I'm still thankful, though.

Edited by Michael Hardner