Happy Thanksgiving to all.

PIK

15 hours ago, taxme said:

Gobble-gobble-gobble. :D Happy Thanksgiving to all.  :)

Except if you're a turkey.

=====

I too favour the idea of wishing others well sometimes. Happy Thanksgiving? Merry Christmas? Happy Birthday? Let's call this the Laurier "Sunny Ways" approach to politics. Smiles...

But a good politician must sometimes say no;  indeed, a good leader - forward thinking - knows when to say no when everyone else is saying yes.

Think of Churchill around 1937 or so. 

What is that phrase from Rudyard Kipling? "If you can keep your head when all about you..." I suspect that Justin will soon face such a quandary and we will learn whether he is a man, or a son. 

Edited by August1991

9 hours ago, August1991 said:

=====

I too favour the idea of wishing others well sometimes. Happy Thanksgiving? Merry Christmas? Happy Birthday? Let's call this the Laurier "Sunny Ways" approach to politics. Smiles...

But a good politician must sometimes say no;  indeed, a good leader - forward thinking - knows when to say no when everyone else is saying yes.

What is that phrase from Rudyard Kipling? "If you can keep your head when all about you..." I suspect that Justin will soon face such a quandary and we will learn whether he is a man, or a son. 

What scares me, is he does not want to be ''the son'' anymore and it doing stupid things to break away from his father's shadow and I think daddy might not be overly pleased with some of his son's decisions.

On 10/10/2017 at 8:15 AM, PIK said:

Maybe if they learned compassion centuries ago ,they would not be in this mess today. Had to leave for a minute, but the countries you mentioned have been slaughtering thier own people long before the western world started.

You don't have a clue, PIK. For Christ's sakes, what countries have been doing the invading, USA/UK/Canada/Australia/... and what countries have been invaded, Iraq/Afghanistan/Libya/Syria/... . 

And they will be slaughtered long after the western world is gone. It seems to survive a long time you can't be nice to your people. Islam has proven that. All the western world did was try and stop the slaughter and of course some bad shit happened. But IMO Islamic countries want to slaughter their people and force the west into doing something. You may have fooled the western left but not everybody.

Again, do a fucking count on the numbers dead, slaughtered by the USA/UK/Canada/... . 

Then do a count on the number of westerners killed. 

America’s Terrorist Training Camp

30th October 2001

Sh

What’s the difference between Al Qaeda and Fort Benning?

By George Monbiot. Published in the Guardian 30th October 2001

“If any government sponsors the outlaws and killers of innocents,” George Bush announced on the day he began bombing Afghanistan, “they have become outlaws and murderers themselves. And they will take that lonely path at their own peril.” I’m glad he said “any government”, as there’s one which, though it has yet to be identified as a sponsor of terrorism, requires his urgent attention.

For the past 55 years it has been running a terrorist training camp, whose victims massively outnumber the people killed by the attack on New York, the embassy bombings and the other atrocities laid, rightly or wrongly, at Al-Qaeda’s door. The camp is called the Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation, or WHISC. It is based in Fort Benning, Georgia, and it is funded by Mr Bush’s government.

Until January this year, WHISC was called “the School of the Americas”, or SOA. Since 1946 SOA has trained over 60,000 Latin American soldiers and policemen. Among its graduates are many of the continent’s most notorious torturers, mass murderers, dictators and state terrorists. As hundreds of pages of documentation compiled by the pressure group SOA Watch shows, Latin America has been ripped apart by its alumni.

http://www.monbiot.com/2001/10/30/americas-terrorist-training-camp/

15 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

This post illustrates why apostrophes are important.

No, it doesn't. It illustrates that Lynne Truss and people who unthinkingly follow idiots like Lynne Truss do not know anything about language. 

=================

On 10/7/2017 at 6:21 PM, Army Guy said: "May your turkey day be filled with food that tastes like moms  
=============
There is not a sentient English speaker on the planet that thinks Army Guy meant/means what you mistakenly suggest. 

12 hours ago, hot enough said:

No, it doesn't. It illustrates that Lynne Truss and people who unthinkingly follow idiots like Lynne Truss do not know anything about language. 

=================

On 10/7/2017 at 6:21 PM, Army Guy said: "May your turkey day be filled with food that tastes like moms  
=============
There is not a sentient English speaker on the planet that thinks Army Guy meant/means what you mistakenly suggest. 

Did you get beaten up by some punctuation marks when you were a kid?  What possible reason could there be for not getting it right?

Nobody thinks Army Guy was cooking neighbourhood mothers, but as that's what it sounded like, it was worthy of comment.  I did, but then I deleted it, because it wasn't really funny.

I blame Tim Horton's.

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

Did you get beaten up by some punctuation marks when you were a kid?  What possible reason could there be for not getting it right?

Nobody thinks Army Guy was cooking neighbourhood mothers, but as that's what it sounded like, it was worthy of comment.  I did, but then I deleted it, because it wasn't really funny.

I blame Tim Horton's.

13 hours ago, hot enough said:

You don't have a clue, PIK. For Christ's sakes, what countries have been doing the invading, USA/UK/Canada/Australia/... and what countries have been invaded, Iraq/Afghanistan/Libya/Syria/... . 

Again, do a fucking count on the numbers dead, slaughtered by the USA/UK/Canada/... . 

Then do a count on the number of westerners killed. 

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

I blame Tim Horton's.

No, it is all Starbucks fault. Lousy coffee. :(

On 10/12/2017 at 12:47 AM, August1991 said:

=====

A good politician always knows better than to say yes or no unless it is politically correct to say yes or no at the time. They prefer to use such words as maybe, could be, perhaps, might, not sure, will check into it, thank you, goodbye. 

The regular afghani wishes the canadians were still there. Building schools, working on dams, and helping the people. Get your facts straight. And because of obama pulling out to early the people of afghanistan are now sliding back into the dark ages. When will these people ever learn to quit killing each other over a outdated religion.

2 minutes ago, taxme said:

A good politician always knows better than to say yes or no unless it is politically correct to say yes or no at the time. They prefer to use such words as maybe, could be, perhaps, might, not sure, will check into it, thank you, goodbye. 

Or accidentally tell the truth , like trudeau did about phasing out the oils sands.

26 minutes ago, taxme said:

No, it is all Starbucks fault. Lousy coffee. :(

I like Starbucks, at home.  I only drink lattes on the odd occasion I find myself drinking a store bought cup. 

Horton's dark roast isn't bad, on a good day.  Sometimes they just lie to you though.

14 minutes ago, PIK said:

The regular afghani wishes the canadians were still there. Building schools, working on dams, and helping the people. Get your facts straight. And because of obama pulling out to early the people of afghanistan are now sliding back into the dark ages. When will these people ever learn to quit killing each other over a outdated religion.

15 minutes ago, PIK said:

They never have and never will. They are just to stunned to try and change their ways and get into the 21st century. I am pretty sure that the goats would wish that they would get with the program. If a religion requires one to hate and go kill someone, than maybe one needs to think about changing their religion. Good advice for those 10th century archaic Islamist's who feel the need at times to go shoot or bomb or behead someone. Hello. Anyone home. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, bcsapper said:

I like Starbucks, at home.  I only drink lattes on the odd occasion I find myself drinking a store bought cup. 

Horton's dark roast isn't bad, on a good day.  Sometimes they just lie to you though.

Timmy lies to me? How so?  

21 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Yeah.  They only do it from the drive through, because they know you're not likely to go back.

Deplorable. Disgusting. Shocking. :o  Actually, I have been drinking McDonald's coffee lately, and I find it quite good. Try it you might like it. I certainly do. :)

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, taxme said:

Deplorable. Disgusting. Shocking. :o  Actually, I have been drinking McDonald's coffee lately, and I find it quite good. Try it you might like it. I certainly do. :)

I tried it and it is the best out of the coffee dealers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Did you get beaten up by some punctuation marks when you were a kid?  What possible reason could there be for not getting it right.

I blame Tim Horton's.

You can blame whoever you want but the issue is precisely that "Nobody thinks Army Guy was cooking neighbourhood mothers, but as that's what it sounded like". 

No, that isn't what it sounded like and you noted that yourself. Idiots like Lynne Truss think they have such a great grasp on language, grammar, punctuation when they don't and those that follow these no-nothings are not any better. 

It's one thing to point out what is right/appropriate but it is stupidity personified to use specious reasoning. 

Just now, hot enough said:

You can blame whoever you want but the issue is precisely that "Nobody thinks Army Guy was cooking neighbourhood mothers, but as that's what it sounded like". 

No, that isn't what it sounded like and you noted that yourself. Idiots like Lynne Truss think they have such a great grasp on language, grammar, punctuation when they don't and those that follow these no-nothings are not any better. 

It's one thing to point out what is right/appropriate but it is stupidity personified to use specious reasoning. 

That is what it sounded like.  That's the language, I guess.  You don't have to like it.

Any pointing out would have been a joke.