Why is this so prevalent these days on TV.

taxme

I have been noticing lately that most corporate commercials and Hollywood comedy type shows always appear to want to keep showing us all about the joys of the Caucasian gay lifestyle and interracial marriage. What I mean is that most commercials and Hollywood always push scenes of two white male or female homosexuals holding hands or kissing and living together but one never sees any scenes of two non-white homosexuals holding hands and kissing and living together. Why is that?

Also, corporate commercials and Hollywood will always only show scenes of a white interracial couple but never scenes of two non-white interracial couples. Why is that?

Personally, is this just another way of the sickos out there whom are trying  to convince white people that it is great to be a gay white male or female and being married to another gay white person or that it is great for a white person to be married to a non-white person. Why is that?

They never seem to want to show two black  or Asian gay men or women hooked up together in a gay relationship scene or show a non-white person hooked up in a interracial scene with another non-white. Why is that.

Is there something that I am missing here? Any comments on this?

Edited by taxme

6 hours ago, taxme said:

....They never seem to want to show two black  or Asian gay men or women hooked up together in a gay relationship scene or show a non-white person hooked up in a interracial scene with another non-white. Why is that.

It is because advertising analytics demonstrate that sponsors and producers get more product / social / media bang for their buck (and far less activist backlash) by casting  interracial couples compared to garden variety, same "race" couples / actors.    Additional LGBTQ layers to advertising and programming gets even more attention and value buzz than just three "white kids" trying Life cereal...two or more birds with one stone.

Criticism of same race casting has long been under fire for employment and social reasons, including different race and gender casting for historical characters in plays, film, and television.

Advertising that one sees in American media reflects U.S. market research and ad buy strategies.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

8 hours ago, bcsapper said:

I was just saying to my daughter the other night how nice it is to see interacial couples in commercials.  Perhaps you are right in that they still have a ways to go.

A ways to go alright, and it would appear as though they are not in too much of a hurry. So much for diversity and multiculturalism, eh?

6 hours ago, dialamah said:

@taxme.  If you want to see a variety of interracial hetero and gay couples hooking up, try the local adult store.  As I recall they have material for every taste; I am sure you'd find something.

No thanks. You can keep it all for your multicult self. :D

3 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

It is because advertising analytics demonstrate that sponsors and producers get more product / social / media bang for their buck (and far less activist backlash) by casting  interracial couples compared to garden variety, same "race" couples / actors.    Additional LGBTQ layers to advertising and programming gets even more attention and value buzz than just three "white kids" trying Life cereal...two or more birds with one stone.

Criticism of same race casting has long been under fire for employment and social reasons, including different race and gender casting for historical characters in plays, film, and television.

Advertising that one sees in American media reflects U.S. market research and ad buy strategies.

Well it is long overdue to start showing some non-white gay and interracial couples commercials rather than always just white people all the time. Just saying.

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎06 at 12:11 PM, Queenmandy85 said:

Advertising is never on the cutting edge of social change.

When it comes to promoting multiculturalism and diversity corporations and the entertainment industry do not seem to have a problem promoting it. Today multiculturalism has become a selective thing for the time program. When it comes to making diversity and multicult look good it will be pushed.

On 10/6/2017 at 3:11 PM, Queenmandy85 said:

Very true.  But as a reflection of the mainstream it has the power to enrage reactionaries.  For example, LGBT people no longer shock most people by their very existence but if you put them in a commercial somebody somewhere will still flip out.  Advertising speaks to identity, so people get offended by it... and easily so.

On 10/8/2017 at 11:43 AM, taxme said:

When it comes to promoting multiculturalism and diversity corporations and the entertainment industry do not seem to have a problem promoting it. Today multiculturalism has become a selective thing for the time program. When it comes to making diversity and multicult look good it will be pushed.

Seems more likely there's a profit motive that compels corporations and industry to cater to diversity.

We're long past the promoting phase and you lost but I guess that hasn't sunk in yet.

24 minutes ago, eyeball said:

We're long past the promoting phase and you lost but I guess that hasn't sunk in yet.

It would be worthwhile for someone to study the 'losers' in this, and find out if there's anything to their concerns that could possibly be dealt with, or if it's just good old-timey rejection of people who don't look like you.  I think cohesion and unity are worthwhile but there is also a segment of the population who will resist positive change.

It's also important to note that the concerns here are entirely superficial, about appearances within cultural products produced by private ad agencies.  They are apart from anything government is doing, but I would support government dissecting (figuratively) one of these specimens to see if there's any hope for them.

On 10/12/2017 at 8:16 AM, eyeball said:

Seems more likely there's a profit motive that compels corporations and industry to cater to diversity.

Again, where are the black gay couples or the black lesbian couples being shown in the Hollywood entertainment programs on TV or in commercials? I guess just showing two white men or two white women living together as homosexuals on TV or commercials is called diversity, eh? And again where are the black and Asian or Muslim interracial couples in commercials or in Hollywood? Can you not see that there is something wrong with this picture? 

I guess that this has not sunk into your head yet by the looks of things? Try observing things that go on in commercials and in Hollywood for a change. You might notice that diversity and multiculturalism only works when it is convenient to do so. 

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎06 at 3:11 PM, Queenmandy85 said:

Interesting comment. Sorry just read it.  I have a question for you and Michael Harder. If what you say  is the case why do so many people blame advertising and the media for the negative impact they have on peoples' moral values?

If as research has shown advertising can influence and manipulate our decision making choices as to what we purchase why can they not influence us to purchase things that change us socially?

Could it not be that constant advertising that depicts same sex couples  or interracial couples makes people more willing to accept such things and so this changes people socially in that manner?

I do understand many say, advertising simply is picking up on and reflecting  the values of the day its not initiating  new ones...but why not both? That's the million dollar question.

What do you call the music industry using Pat Boone, Elvis Presley, Justin Bieber to sell music to whites that was clearly black music remarketed to sell to whites?  Cigarette smoking surely was a social change ushered in by movies and then t.v. and advertising?

Edited by Rue

20 hours ago, Rue said:

Interesting comment. Sorry just read it.  I have a question for you and Michael Harder. If what you say  is the case why do so many people blame advertising and the media for the negative impact they have on peoples' moral values?

If as research has shown advertising can influence and manipulate our decision making choices as to what we purchase why can they not influence us to purchase things that change us socially?

Could it not be that constant advertising that depicts same sex couples  or interracial couples makes people more willing to accept such things and so this changes people socially in that manner?

I do understand many say, advertising simply is picking up on and reflecting  the values of the day its not initiating  new ones...but why not both? That's the million dollar question.

What do you call the music industry using Pat Boone, Elvis Presley, Justin Bieber to sell music to whites that was clearly black music remarketed to sell to whites?  Cigarette smoking surely was a social change ushered in by movies and then t.v. and advertising?

Being a betting man, I would say that this is just another form of brainwashing in order to try and genocide the Caucasian race. This constant push by those in the Hollywood entertainment industry and corporate commercials is to try and socially change the fabric and minds of white society. I see no other reason for this constant white gay couples only or white and non-white interracial couples only on TV all the time. I guess multiculturalism and diversity will be good for some but not so good for others. 

The music that Pat Boone and Elvis Presley sang were not stolen and remarketed from blacks. Blacks were not into rock and roll and decent and moral family kind of music in their days. Motown became their music of choice, and later garbage foul mouthed gangsta rap. 

On 10/4/2017 at 8:23 AM, taxme said:

I have been noticing lately that most corporate commercials and Hollywood comedy type shows always appear to want to keep showing us all about the joys of the Caucasian gay lifestyle and interracial marriage. What I mean is that most commercials and Hollywood always push scenes of two white male or female homosexuals holding hands or kissing and living together but one never sees any scenes of two non-white homosexuals holding hands and kissing and living together. Why is that?

Also, corporate commercials and Hollywood will always only show scenes of a white interracial couple but never scenes of two non-white interracial couples. Why is that?

Personally, is this just another way of the sickos out there whom are trying  to convince white people that it is great to be a gay white male or female and being married to another gay white person or that it is great for a white person to be married to a non-white person. Why is that?

They never seem to want to show two black  or Asian gay men or women hooked up together in a gay relationship scene or show a non-white person hooked up in a interracial scene with another non-white. Why is that.

I challenge your entire claim? "Most Commercials" ????  

Being a betting man, I would say that this is just another form of brainwashing in order to try and genocide the Caucasian race.

Oh jesus... just never mind.

Edited by dre

59 minutes ago, dre said:

I challenge your entire claim? "Most Commercials" ????  

Oh jesus... just never mind.

Well, go ahead and challenge it?  After all, I did say some, not all commercials. 

Indeed, that is what people like you want people like me to stop saying. I don't see Hollywood Wienstein or corporate commercials trying to promote multiculturalism on non-whites like they always seem to want to do on white people. Only dumb azz white people can't see that. White people are being brainwashed into believing that the gay life and interracial lifestyles are good for them. Well, they are not good for this white guy. They are only seen as a threat to my race. But hey. 

2 hours ago, taxme said:

After all, I did say some, not all commercials. 

You said most. Some implies less. How much less do you actually mean?

A brilliant person of your race should be able to quantify this but...hey, maybe you're one of those other types you mentioned.

On 10/13/2017 at 7:05 PM, Rue said:

Many ?  Really ?  Do people still do that ?  If so, I would suspect that such people are out of the frame of mainstream life and don't recognize that advertising thrives on Narcissism, not on making change, ie. making an impact.

If it sells, sure.  But they're selling you an image of yourself as a caring liberal person not making you into such a person.  If you think you are 'that' they the commercial will appeal to you.

Sure, and there is some aspect of normalization such as happened when black folks first started showing up in sitcoms and commercials in the 1970s.  But this is all done slowly, so as to not upset the apple cart.  

Maybe that's the better way to go, though.  Social change that happens on economic change is more permanent than just preaching.

As long as it doesn't challenge so much as to offend.  Those are the 'edgy' ads that go to far and have to get pulled back...

With any propaganda, or any endeavour there's a prime objective.  In this case, as you say, it's to 'sell' to whites.  Other objectives are subordinate, or are means to the end.  Flattery of the receiver, or the sender of the message falls into that category.

Cigarette smoking predated advertising, I think.  

11 hours ago, eyeball said:

"So prevalent" becomes "occurs frequently" becomes "occurs occasionally" becomes "occurs".

An sentient individual will self-correct, and adjust their course.  An advocate - which is what a commercial is - will only adjust if it furthers the cause.  They are agents, singular-minded with an objective.

A discussion board needs individuals to be interesting, not agents, advocates, bots and inflexible unthinking automatons.

--  --  --  --

Advertising uses spokespeople and actors who appear to be enthusiastic and full-blooded adherents of the product.  But they are zombies and ghouls who exist only to brainwash others into using it.

David Naughton starred as a teen ghoul in 'American Werewolf in London' and was equally famous as the fascistic sprightly dancer sucking viewers into the dead-end lifestyle of being 'a pepper':

SNL did a great sketch featuring Bill Murray in the 1970s, wherein the 'Peppers' explain their creepy objective to indoctrinate 'Peppers'.  Jane Curtin asks "shouldn't the COMPANY pay to promote their products ?".  No, the 'Peppers' are devoted !

5 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Many ?  Really ?  Do people still do that ?  If so, I would suspect that such people are out of the frame of mainstream life and don't recognize that advertising thrives on Narcissism, not on making change, ie. making an impact.

If it sells, sure.  But they're selling you an image of yourself as a caring liberal person not making you into such a person.  If you think you are 'that' they the commercial will appeal to you.

Sure, and there is some aspect of normalization such as happened when black folks first started showing up in sitcoms and commercials in the 1970s.  But this is all done slowly, so as to not upset the apple cart.  

Maybe that's the better way to go, though.  Social change that happens on economic change is more permanent than just preaching.

As long as it doesn't challenge so much as to offend.  Those are the 'edgy' ads that go to far and have to get pulled back...

With any propaganda, or any endeavour there's a prime objective.  In this case, as you say, it's to 'sell' to whites.  Other objectives are subordinate, or are means to the end.  Flattery of the receiver, or the sender of the message falls into that category.

Cigarette smoking predated advertising, I think.  

Interesting comments. I do think its still mainstream thinking to believe there is a direct correlation between advertising and getting people to engage in negative behaviour.

As for smoking predating advertising so did sex. Your point> The media and advertising showcases behaviours and beliefs that might have otherwise not been known o r so widespread. You think smoking became more widespread after it was shown in movies? You think its coincidence products are or were strategically placed in movies, tv shows and advertising?

Advertising is a way to influence behaviour and decision making and value formation. If it wasn't people would not spend billions on molding messages to get people to buy certain things. Tele-evangelists are the most obvious example of turning a sermon into a commercial to pay the sermonizer. Its no different than Dr. Ho the Chiropactor coming on t..v. selling his pain pad to an adoring audience or some guy selling the latest cooking device to an adoring audience or some has been Hollywood star being used on an infomercial to sell some beauty product.

55 minutes ago, Rue said:

Interesting comments. I do think its still mainstream thinking to believe there is a direct correlation between advertising and getting people to engage in negative behaviour.

Why thank you.  I try.  What do you mean by 'negative behaviour' ?  

As for smoking predating advertising so did sex. Your point> The media and advertising showcases behaviours and beliefs that might have otherwise not been known o r so widespread. You think smoking became more widespread after it was shown in movies? You think its coincidence products are or were strategically placed in movies, tv shows and advertising?

I guess you're right that they can spread and reinforce existing maladies.

Advertising is a way to influence behaviour and decision making and value formation. If it wasn't people would not spend billions on molding messages to get people to buy certain things. Tele-evangelists are the most obvious example of turning a sermon into a commercial to pay the sermonizer. Its no different than Dr. Ho the Chiropactor coming on t..v. selling his pain pad to an adoring audience or some guy selling the latest cooking device to an adoring audience or some has been Hollywood star being used on an infomercial to sell some beauty product.

The thing you haven't mentioned is that the industry is imploding slowly as cheap online ads are used to target audiences.

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Why thank you.  I try.  What do you mean by 'negative behaviour' ?  

I guess you're right that they can spread and reinforce existing maladies.

The thing you haven't mentioned is that the industry is imploding slowly as cheap online ads are used to target audiences.

In regards to negative  behaviour I mean  unhealthy or violent behaviour is what I mean by negative, i.e., eating junk food, depicting people without certain products as losers, smelly, ugly, depicting violence as cool.

Yes on last comment

1 minute ago, Rue said:

In regards to negative  behaviour I mean  unhealthy or violent behaviour is what I mean by negative, i.e., eating junk food, depicting people without certain products as losers, smelly, ugly, depicting violence as cool.

So " I do think its still mainstream thinking to believe there is a direct correlation between advertising and getting people to engage in negative behaviour i.e., eating junk food, depicting people without certain products as losers, smelly, ugly, depicting violence as cool."

I guess so, but it's the insidious messaging that is harder to pick out, and therefore to criticize.  

On 10/14/2017 at 6:35 PM, eyeball said:

A brilliant person of your race should be able to quantify this but...hey, maybe you're one of those other types you mentioned.

I am just trying to point out to all as to what I have been observing for quite awhile now on TV, and in Hollyweird. There is not much more I can say on the topic. Most or much or less or more is a ridiculous question to be asking me because it really has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Who cares? Either you bother to take the time to observe and note of what I have posted here and comment on it or not.  That is your choice more or less. :D