Would you like some sofrito sauced "democracy" ?

Altai

Some guys in Spain are "voting" (this is the magic word) to be independent than Spain but appearently noone cares in the World about their "democratic" rights :rolleyes: I am sure some big countries are quite interested with dividing other countries into pieces but what about rest of the European countries and folks ? I cant see them caring about "democracy".

I see only US and Britain (leaves EU) is interested with Spanish "democracy". These two evils are as usual, want to divide anything into pieces to swallow much easier. What about others ? Almost its not even on the news. 

I think European countries are disturbed by "democracy" because of if "democracy" will be succesfull in Spain, the next stop for "democracy" will be their own countries.

4G8vmL.jpg

1 hour ago, scribblet said:

The Spanish courts ruled that the vote was illegal, only the central gov't can organize such voting.  Therefore - there should not be a vote.  

So you mean it violates the Spanish constitutions ? Is it a kind of religion ? Are constitutions your holly book ? Do minorities have to obey constitutions made by majorities based on majority interests ? 

All people have to obey the court's rulings and the law of the land, obviously it is not a religion but the Constitution is the last word.  There is an election coming so the people can choose to vote for another party which will allow an independence vote.  

54 minutes ago, scribblet said:

All people have to obey the court's rulings and the law of the land, obviously it is not a religion but the Constitution is the last word.  There is an election coming so the people can choose to vote for another party which will allow an independence vote.  

So you defend the idea that you can force people to do things which they dont want to do, just because of you are much more crowded than them. So minorities does not have any right and they have to obey majority and live as the slaves of majority for ever. Atheist mindset.

Nice ^_^ 

3 hours ago, JamesHackerMP said:

The built in danger to all democracies is "the tyranny of the majority." 

Especially when that majority is disengaged, distracted, overwhelmed, and ignorant of the incredible mass of complex issues that they're expected to have an informed opinion on.

I've always said that lower voter turnout is a feature of successful democracy, not a problem.  Government needs to cultivate 'publics' - plural - that will keep them in check and watch what they're doing.  But who has ever asked for more pressure from their bosses ?

10 hours ago, JamesHackerMP said:

by the way: what's "sofrito sauce"?

Spanish cooking base. Like Carrots, Celery and Onions. Different cultures have different examples of this. 

An example of a Spanish Sofrito is Tomato, Garlic and Onion diced and used as a flavour base for, let's say a Paella. 

Would there an agreement that should Catalonia separate that they take their share of the Spanish debt? Would they automatically get to enter the EU? We, as Canadians have been down this road. The UK has dealt with it too with Scotland. 

I get that member Altai's narrative is to question Western democracy as not being all that great. But pointing out where Western freedom isn't absolute doesn't counter the fact that it's still the freest and most prosperous system of government we have globally. 

I'm sure a autocratic dictator wouldn't let a region that believes it's a state leave. See Putin keeping Chechnya or Iraq keeping Kurdistan. 

Edited by Boges
  • Like 1

Most central governments tend to regard votes for secession as illegal.

In the case of Spain and Catalonia the issue is that Catalonia is the weathiest part of Spain and it contributes far above its weight in terms of GDP.

19 hours ago, Boges said:

I get that member Altai's narrative is to question Western democracy as not being all that great. But pointing out where Western freedom isn't absolute doesn't counter the fact that it's still the freest and most prosperous system of government we have globally. 

As I said before, its not free or freest, its just another dictatorship. You are just given lollipops in your mouth to play around without making so much noise. When you start to make noise, for example Catalonia, you will see what happens. 

You are a perfect example of it, you are just sucking your "democracy" lollipop and your illusioned zombie brain moves your lips to grumble "I am free". 

32 minutes ago, Altai said:

As I said before, its not free or freest, its just another dictatorship. You are just given lollipops in your mouth to play around without making so much noise. When you start to make noise, for example Catalonia, you will see what happens. 

You are a perfect example of it, you are just sucking your "democracy" lollipop and your illusioned zombie brain moves your lips to grumble "I am free". 

Propose a better system, I'll hang up and listen.  

I'm pretty free to do plenty of things you can't in other parts of the world. 

You could make the argument that all governments are dictatorships. But there is a method in place to change who the governments are. 

1 hour ago, Boges said:

Propose a better system, I'll hang up and listen.  

I'm pretty free to do plenty of things you can't in other parts of the world. 

You could make the argument that all governments are dictatorships. But there is a method in place to change who the governments are. 

So what kind of a relation there are between being ruled by "democracy" and being "freest" ? For example for what you did vote to have it ?

6 minutes ago, Altai said:

So what kind of a relation there are between being ruled by "democracy" and being "freest" ? For example for what you did vote to have it ?

What rules you? 

Democracy is all I've known. Ultimately this is just a meaningless debate, it's the system we have. 

You didn't answer my question. What's a better system of governance? 

Edited by Boges

1 hour ago, Boges said:

What rules you? 

Democracy is all I've known. Ultimately this is just a meaningless debate, it's the system we have. 

You didn't answer my question. What's a better system of governance? 

I have replied your question long ago.

38 minutes ago, Boges said:

I'm not going to look at other threads to see what your past statements are. 

Who decides what's right if not an elected government and a court system to keep them in check? 

You have no any other change than reading old posts. I cant write the same things over and over again. Read my democracy is nonsense and there is nothing to discuss topics

On 10/5/2017 at 8:44 AM, Altai said:

I'm curious, Altai, have you traveled outside Turkey?

On 10/2/2017 at 10:32 AM, Altai said:

So you defend the idea that you can force people to do things which they dont want to do, just because of you are much more crowded than them. So minorities does not have any right and they have to obey majority and live as the slaves of majority for ever. Atheist mindset.

Nice ^_^ 

Kind of reminds me of the Kurds.....but they don't count do they.....

• Like 1

On 10/4/2017 at 11:55 AM, Boges said:

I'm sure a autocratic dictator wouldn't let a region that believes it's a state leave. See Putin keeping Chechnya or Iraq keeping Kurdistan. 

Or US/Cuba. US/Guatemala. US/Indonesia. US/Korea. US/Nicaragua. US/Guam. US/Hawaii. US/Marshall Islands. US/Puerto Rico. US/Haiti. US/China. US/Mexico. US/Honduras. US/Dominican Republic. US/... 

Edited by hot enough

2 hours ago, hot enough said:

Or US/Cuba. US/Guatemala. US/Indonesia. US/Korea. US/Nicaragua. US/Guam. US/Hawaii. US/Marshall Islands. US/Puerto Rico. US/Haiti. US/China. US/Mexico. US/Honduras. US/Dominican Republic. US/... 

Cept for Guam and Hawaii those are all independent nations. If you said Puerto Rico, then I'd agree. 

Edited by Boges

18 minutes ago, Boges said:

Cept for Guam and Hawaii those are all independent nations. If you said Puerto Rico, then I'd agree. 

I did say Puerto Rico.

The point, which you seem to be missing, your own point, to wit, "I'm sure a autocratic dictator wouldn't let a region that believes it's a state leave" is exactly what the USA has done to all these nations, some multiple times. To even suggest right now that they are all truly independent nations is a stretch.