Singh Wins Federal NDP on 1st Ballot

On 10/19/2017 at 8:42 AM, drummindiver said:

Many milenials believe the "if you don't vote for me you're racist" bullshit. Not enough get out to vote though. 

http://m.torontosun.com/2017/10/18/jagmeet-singh-plays-the-race-card

See Bill 62. They dont really want it in everyday life let alone politics.

Hapy Holidays.

Many Arab nations are in the same hemisphere. I challenge you to show the bible belt more bigoted...or racist

Andrew Scheer sure had to disavow his religious beliefs would impact his politics.

Rightly so.

Please do tell me what Arab nations are in North America?

51 minutes ago, cannuck said:

At the rate we are going, Canada soon.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3204538/what-canadas-population-will-look-like-in-2036/

"non Christian" religions predicted to be at 13-16 percent in 20 years.  Not sure how Canada will be 'arab' soon, so you are engaging in hyperbole and exaggeration.   

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Selectively, though.  Pretty much every major leader has been religious.  I don't know about the current PM

I was talking about presenting yourself in public dressed in your religion's uniform. That's putting religion above Canada in my view and shows disrespect. I like Canada remaining a secular country.

25 minutes ago, Bubble Burst said:

I was talking about presenting yourself in public dressed in your religion's uniform. That's putting religion above Canada in my view and shows disrespect. I like Canada remaining a secular country.

Priests and Jews also dress in 'religion's uniform'.  What a preposterous term to use in a country that allows freedom of religion.

30 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Priests and Jews also dress in 'religion's uniform'.  What a preposterous term to use in a country that allows freedom of religion.

They dress like that in churches/synagogues, or they are employees of a religious organization, or they are not  leaders of POLITICAL parties. If they were, I wouldn't vote for them. The country also allows freedom of speech and freedom from religion.

1 minute ago, Bubble Burst said:

They dress like that in churches/synagogues, or they are employees of a religious organization, or they are not  leaders of POLITICAL parties. If they were, I wouldn't vote for them. The country also allows freedom of speech and freedom from religion.

They dress that way in the streets. They dress that way at work.  You don't want to people because of their religion, that's your business.  Up until Trudeau Jr. we have had nothing but religious PMs around here, I hate to inform you.

Yes, freedom of speech and freedom from religion are a right but you don't have freedom to tell people to dress the way you want them to because you don't like them.

24 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Yes, freedom of speech and freedom from religion are a right but you don't have freedom to tell people to dress the way you want them to because you don't like them.

Yeah and you don't have the right to kill unarmed puppies.

I am not telling people how to dress, I am saying I am not going to vote for people dressing in religious garments while running a Political Party. And if I see pm JT continue to pander to minorities by dressing like a clown I am not going to vote for him next time either. Can I vote the way I want without you assuming I tell people how to dress?

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Would we elect a priest or an ultra-orthodox Jew - complete with black coat and hat -  as prime minister? I don't think so.

Edited by Argus

On 10/25/2017 at 5:36 PM, Michael Hardner said:

And... that's a good thing?  Priests have been in politics, I *think*...

Yes, it's a good thing. We are secular society. There is no way a priest or a rabbi (or ultra-orthodox Jew) could separate out their religious beliefs from their position.

12 minutes ago, Argus said:

Yes, it's a good thing. We are secular society. There is no way a priest or a rabbi (or ultra-orthodox Jew) could separate out their religious beliefs from their position.

Well, I don't know that I agree with that.  But even so, what about a conservative or Orthodox Jew ?  That's a different thing entirely.

17 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Well, I don't know that I agree with that.  But even so, what about a conservative or Orthodox Jew ?  That's a different thing entirely.

It's possible. And I'm not saying Singh can't either, btw. I'm merely expressing the doubt a lot of secular people have about the wisdom of putting people into power over us who are so devoted to their religion they don't leave the house without ensuring their religious costume is firmly in place.

• Thanks 1

These people have essentially interwoven religion with culture to the extent that the distinction between the two is blurred. What matters more is the person's politics, and their past history as well. I think everyone should at least be judged equally on those grounds. When it comes to Singh, I don't know much about him but seems he will not disavow the Sikh terrorist responsible for the Air India bomb. Second thing I learned recently, that there are groups of Sikhs in Canada who look to this same terrorist guy as a HERO. They've got posters of him up on the wall in some of their temples in fact.

Link
Is it appropriate for Sikh temples in Canada to display posters hailing the alleged architect of the 1985 Air India bombing as a martyr?

Temples are central to their culture as well, all Sikhs attend to the temples and so I'm sure many are aware of these posters, but I wonder if they simply don't care, or maybe even agree with what is implied, that Inderjit Singh Reyat is some kind of cultural hero among Sikhs? 

On 10/25/2017 at 7:26 AM, Michael Hardner said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3204538/what-canadas-population-will-look-like-in-2036/

"non Christian" religions predicted to be at 13-16 percent in 20 years.  Not sure how Canada will be 'arab' soon, so you are engaging in hyperbole and exaggeration.   

Because minorities rule in canada, and they know it.