Create GENERAL DISCUSSION section?

betsy

Heavens to Betsy!  I can appreciate a bit of levity but sheesh! a 6 month suspension for posting off-topic aint serious.  Sorry.  A permanent banning??  Okee dokey.  I struggle to take the premise of the OP seriously.  It looks more like we need a Jokes and Party Gags sub-forum to make you all happy.  I have a theory:  You guys are asking for more censorship so that you can complain about too much censorship!  

From 1 Christian to an other, I doubt your confused request would please you if rigorously applied.  Try asking the next 1000 heathens you meet:  "Would you consider The Bible to be a conspiracy theory of sorts?"  I doubt popular/democratic acclamation would be in your favor. 

On 9/5/2017 at 10:10 AM, Altai said:

I was going to share my make up videos when I registered first in this forum but I was confused to share it whether in arts section or sport section or health section :lol:  noone of them was the right one.

That could be interesting but it depends on what you want to discuss assuming you want to discuss something as opposed to just flaunting. This is a discussion forum after all.

You could post that in the Arts section to solicit a discussion on the creativity, skill, training and styles involved. 
You could post that in the Health section to solicit a discussion on the dangers or benefits of painting your face.
You could post that in the Technology section to solicit a discussion on how rabbits go blind.
You could post that in the Sex section to explain the purpose and perhaps get some feedback.

Your intuition was probably right if you were confused. You probably did not want to discuss anything --- that is just my guess. I could be wrong.

5 hours ago, Charles Anthony said:

Heavens to Betsy!  I can appreciate a bit of levity but sheesh! a 6 month suspension for posting off-topic aint serious.  Sorry.  A permanent banning??  Okee dokey.  I struggle to take the premise of the OP seriously.  It looks more like we need a Jokes and Party Gags sub-forum to make you all happy.  I have a theory:  You guys are asking for more censorship so that you can complain about too much censorship! 

Having a section that can accomodate what don't belong anywhere.....how is that censorship? 

I don't want to gag HE....but I'm getting tired of seeing the same things all over the place!  That's the complaints of what few regular active posters left on this board!

You could post that in the Arts section to solicit a discussion on the creativity, skill, training and styles involved. 
You could post that in the Health section to solicit a discussion on the dangers or benefits of painting your face.
You could post that in the Technology section to solicit a discussion on how rabbits go blind.
You could post that in the Sex section to explain the purpose and perhaps get some feedback.

Where do these go?  Some of these (not verbatim), are in another forum.

Strange Phenomenon

The best advice given to you

Cop stops to dance video

The stupidest things we've said

Your fave Fastfood Burger 

6-foot Boa Constrictor found hiding in attic

It's a bad hair day!

Your intuition was probably right if you were confused. You probably did not want to discuss anything --- that is just my guess. I could be wrong.

You're assuming.  And you're basing your "judgement" on your assumption.

Posters may not want to discuss those listed above - but what if some do?  The kind of "discussion" that happens  might not be to your liking....but surely, if we want to have humor  and banter, or if we take these topics seriously - shouldn't that be up to posters?

From 1 Christian to an other, I doubt your confused request would please you if rigorously applied.  Try asking the next 1000 heathens you meet:  "Would you consider The Bible to be a conspiracy theory of sorts?"  I doubt popular/democratic acclamation would be in your favor. 

:rolleyes:

Then you're the one confused, if you're seriously giving that as an example!

Surely scholars and philosophers, and academia....wouldn't be wasting time for centuries debating about the Bible!  Furthermore, what moron  would  be asking only heathens about religion? With a leading question, to boot? :lol: 

Furthermore - conspiracy theory, or not - issue about the Bible would certainly fall under Religion, wouldn't it?  No question about that!

I don't know the reason behind so much resistance about something so practical. 

Anyway.....I give up. 

Edited by betsy

8 hours ago, Charles Anthony said:

Put them wherever you want and at the bottom of your post, ask the membership for their opinion and we will see what happens.  

Opinion for what???

You mean I'll create my topic anywhere I want, then ask them - does this belong here?

Why don't we do that now, and tell me where those hypothetical topics listed above belong in the current set-up?

That issue about the 6-foot boa found in the attic could very well touch on various similar issues like snakes coming in through your toilet, or wild animals getting in!   Topics could range from the serious to the zany,  and bizarre!

A lot of these topics in General Section becomes free-flowing, too.....thus, it's a different flavor from the rest of the sections.

Edited by betsy

20 hours ago, Charles Anthony said:

That could be interesting but it depends on what you want to discuss assuming you want to discuss something as opposed to just flaunting. This is a discussion forum after all.

Even if her video is simply for the purpose of flaunting her make-up skills - that thread could generate different reactions!

Anyway, what's wrong with How-To videos?

INTEREST = REACTIONS! 

REACTIONS  = POSTS! 

POSTS = TRAFFIC!

ISN'T THAT WHAT ANY FORUM FACILITATOR WOULD WANT?  TRAFFIC?

The thread could end up a dud (with no one responding at all), or it can pull in and elicit different responses! It would add to the robustness of the board since you never know what kind of issue will turn up in General/Miscellaneous Section.

That's why we need a General Section/Miscellaneous Section

And of course, just like I have my own pulpit in Religion Section, that gives HE  his own pulpit.

I'm telling you, based from what I hear from some active regulars still on this site - the common denominator that still keep them here on MLW, is familiarity - and the fact that the other new "alternative" forum formed by former member of this board,  isn't appealing at all, because they're practically all from the same ideology.  People who enjoy real forums don't want clubs, nor the perception or smell of it!

A bland, stagnant forum won't survive long. 

You've got a healthy balance of left and right here, CA. The board, and the traffic has improved.    So, that's a good thing.

But, let's not be content with that.

Some of us active regulars on this site are trying to do our best to help generate more traffic for this board.  Robust creation of topics, is a major ingredient to keep a board going!  Just like a buffet - you can't keep serving the same dishes, and not add something new!  (That's why ancient topics should be retired in an archive.  I'm telling you....those ancient OP are a turn-off!) 

But you  can't just put all that on our shoulders.  You've got to show that you also care about this board, and do your share!

We posters - especially the few active regulars that try to keep the threads moving - are complaining to you about the same problem.  We posters, are the ones dealing with the same irritant every time......not you!

Mind you, I'm not knocking down "irritants," either.  They can goad or spur someone into reacting.....and posting.  "Irritants" can contribute by eliciting reactions.  But we don't want the same conspiracy theory cropping up on all, and hijacking threads!

We're asking you to create a General Discussion/Miscellaneous thread - and we've given our reasons for it.

Why aren't you listening?

Edited by betsy

8 hours ago, Charles Anthony said:

Put them wherever you want and at the bottom of your post, ask the membership for their opinion and we will see what happens.  

Okay.  Let's try it.  Let's do the boa since it was in the news not too long ago.

Posters shouldn't have to ponder hard to ascertain if an issue in mind, belongs to a certain section.  There shouldn't be any doubt. Some posters wouldn't bother creating a thread.  That's a shame, and a loss for the board - after all, that could've been a topic that would've elicited reactions.

Edited by betsy

6 hours ago, betsy said:
13 hours ago, Charles Anthony said:

Opinion for what???

You mean I'll create my topic anywhere I want, then ask them - does this belong here?

Yes.  You could have done that any time before.  You did not need mod staff to get what you want. 

Ultimately, the members who respond to your OP or "topic" will move the discussion and decide where it belongs if you can not do so yourself.  You will get a popular/democratic result whether you see it or not. 

6 hours ago, betsy said:

Even if her video is simply for the purpose of flaunting her make-up skills - that thread could generate different reactions!

Anyway, what's wrong with How-To videos?

Nobody said there was anything wrong with posting How-To videos.  You are misunderstanding. 

6 hours ago, betsy said:

The thread could end up a dud (with no one responding at all),

In which case it does not matter where you happen to post it.  The thread will die. 

6 hours ago, betsy said:

Why aren't you listening?

This is all distraction.  

You need to work on writing clear and better OPs.  If you want adivce, I suggest avoiding throwing something vague against the wall just to see what sticks. I also suggest that you ask somebody whose opinion you trust to read your "topic" before submitting it. 

1 minute ago, Charles Anthony said:

Yes.  You could have done that any time before.  You did not need mod staff to get what you want. 

Ultimately, the members who respond to your OP or "topic" will move the discussion and decide where it belongs if you can not do so yourself.  You will get a popular/democratic result whether you see it or not.

We can move topics of other posters?

15 minutes ago, betsy said:

We can move topics of other posters?

No.  You are looking at discussion backwards.

If you have no idea where your hypothetical "topic" belongs, then post it wherever you think it best belongs. Do not post it duplicates in more than 1 sub-forum. 

If your vague "topic" solicits responses, then where your "topic" belongs will be dictated by the membership.   Afterwards, we can move it if needed. 

Maybe this is not apparent: you are going to have to wait until AFTER the membership responds to your "topic" to be able to figure out where your "topic" belongs. If you can not figure it out on your own before you post it then, I am sorry.

You seem to think that a poorly written Opening Post can be boosted with a special heading above it.

9 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I would appreciate a service whereby mods coach people on debating style and clarity. 

I could do that.  However, I would rather not step into injecting my personal opinions. 

Better yet:  you all can do that for eachother.  You do not need mod help.  Send a fellow member a draft of an OP and ask advice.  Perhaps co-write an OP if you want. 

Maybe some of you should consider asking for proof-reading help from somebody in real-life too. 

29 minutes ago, scribblet said:

Are you serious or are we not in Kansas anymore.  Talk about people being elitist and thinking they are better than others. 

You are shooting the messenger.  Beyond the issue of posters evading questions or gaming the discussion, we have posters who can't get out of the gate with being able to state a claim and discuss it.   If you try to correct people, they don't get it and think you're arguing the point even if you're just asking for clarity.  I'm being respectful here so I won't cite examples.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

You are shooting the messenger.  Beyond the issue of posters evading questions or gaming the discussion, we have posters who can't get out of the gate with being able to state a claim and discuss it.   If you try to correct people, they don't get it and think you're arguing the point even if you're just asking for clarity.  I'm being respectful here so I won't cite examples.

Well....you haven't been making yourself clear either, MH. 

I meant people like you, ie. people who disagree with multiculturalism, as I explained in the past few posts.

6 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I'm talking specifically about OPs and also specifically said I wasn't citing examples or calling people out.

It's not limited only to OP! 

Furthermore, you aren't in any way talking about the Black Got Killed thread?  Because there's nothing there that would be hard to grasp.

And btw,

It isn't only me who notice that you have some comprehension problems.  One other poster pointed that out.

When you complain about certain OP to CA, maybe you're looking at a different angle from the author of the OP.

Edited by betsy

Hey Charles, regarding the 6-foot Boa thread in Arts and Culture - you should've responded to Squid's ignorance by explaining why I posted that topic.  He had no business throwing insults even if it was genuinely misplaced!

We both know why it's there - and yet you labelled that topic as a trolling thread!  You should've come out like the Mod that you are - especially when you're involved and equally responsible for that topic getting posted - and straightened it out right away!

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, betsy said:

Indeed, we do have a different kind of troll.  I felt like I got trolled by our own Moderator! 

I posted a mock-topic under Arts and Culture - under the advise of Charles Anthony -

No.  You were not advised to post a mock-topic.  

Regardless, you made it clear that your intentions in your topic was to troll.  The thread was taken down because it was filled with trolling predominantly from you. 

1 hour ago, Charles Anthony said:

No.  You were not advised to post a mock-topic. 

Yes, you did.  You knew I was going to try as you advised - and I even told you we'd try the boa.

Regardless, you made it clear that your intentions in your topic was to troll. 

:blink:

What do you mean? 

Stop there and think! Who's made the intention to troll - Squid or me?  Who posted the first trolling comment?

The thread was taken down because it was filled with trolling predominantly from you. 

You know why I responded the way I did.  Yet, you'd let the blatant trolling comment by Squid, to stay - when in fact, it didn't say anything else but to insult! 

Why do you think trolling comments followed???

Squid was trashing a new thread right off the bat, and yet that's okay with you.

You've made a batshoot crazy decision leaving Squid's post up there, Charles.....and you're making an even more batshoot crazy decision trying to shift the blame!  You're showing you're not playing fair.

Edited by betsy
  • Confused 1

On 9/7/2017 at 10:09 PM, Charles Anthony said:

Now, you saw what happened, Charles!  We had an unstable poster who got pushed off the edge when he saw that misplaced topic - he came out swinging - and you know the rest.

See?  If I had posted that in  General Discussion Section - we wouldn't be having this long-drawn drama, and we could've saved that poor poster the aggravation of seeing the topic where it doesn't belong! :lol:

Of course....you might prefer instead to copycat them, and we'll start developing various "cultures" like

conspiracy culture

reptile culture

management culture

political satire culture

eating culture

burning man culture

drunk culture

etc. culture

Edited by betsy

On 9/8/2017 at 8:19 PM, scribblet said:

OP's often start out fine but get derailed or go off into La La land..   this just a discussion forum, we aren't writing a PHD paper.

Sure, but we have set up a meeting place for discussion without all of the components needed.

Unlike an IRL community there is no binding purpose to those who come here.  So that, with anonymity means zero trust.

Then we have attempts at discussion without agreement on process, or how to agree on valid sources.

So the lack of sources, lack of purpose, lack of process mean we're setting up a discussion that doesn't follow an academic culture, or tradition... But one you might find in a donut shop.  Except that it's anonymous so people aren't ashamed of posting irresponsibility or afraid of having their true selves associated with their opinion.

Now, at the end we kind-of restrict insults, and you aren't even supposed to Insult or discount sources people use.

Under such a setup, you can have a good conversation if both sides use reasonable sources,  process, and facts.

What has been happening more and more is miscreant posters coming here, using conspiracy websites as sources, using bad process and supporting others who do the same.