Create GENERAL DISCUSSION section?

betsy

5 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

......What has been happening more and more is miscreant posters coming here, using conspiracy websites as sources, using bad process and supporting others who do the same.

I agree with that but you forgot to mention the people who have left here for another forum on which they trash CA and others citing moderation as the reason for leaving...  Some of these people have made it clear they are just coming back to MLW to make trouble.   We've seen that allready, and how this forum is no longer what it used to be.   Sad but true.

BTW, was it ever announced that you and Kimmy are no longer moderators?

26 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Sure, but we have set up a meeting place for discussion without all of the components needed.

Unlike an IRL community there is no binding purpose to those who come here.  So that, with anonymity means zero trust.

Then we have attempts at discussion without agreement on process, or how to agree on valid sources.

So the lack of sources, lack of purpose, lack of process mean we're setting up a discussion that doesn't follow an academic culture, or tradition... But one you might find in a donut shop.  Except that it's anonymous so people aren't ashamed of posting irresponsibility or afraid of having their true selves associated with their opinion.

Now, at the end we kind-of restrict insults, and you aren't even supposed to Insult or discount sources people use.

Under such a setup, you can have a good conversation if both sides use reasonable sources,  process, and facts.

What has been happening more and more is miscreant posters coming here, using conspiracy websites as sources, using bad process and supporting others who do the same.

I have no issue with posters using dubious websites for sources - we can counter them, and show they're not credible - that is if we even want to be bothered. 

My issue is with them appearing all over the place, and the poster(s) practically hijacking every topic. 

I don't want to gag anyone who's trying to make a discussion (even if we think that the discussion isn't worth it)....as long as it doesn't hurt other threads.  It's also a matter of showing courtesy or respect for other posters.   His topic may not be worth it to us, but what if some other posters are interested in that kind of thing?  Why limit the board?

43 minutes ago, scribblet said:

I agree with that but you forgot to mention the people who have left here for another forum on which they trash CA and others citing moderation as the reason for leaving...  Some of these people have made it clear they are just coming back to MLW to make trouble.   We've seen that allready, and how this forum is no longer what it used to be.   Sad but true.

BTW, was it ever announced that you and Kimmy are no longer moderators?

Trashing the moderators instead of properly thanking them is an old pastime.

I think Greg said he was looking at some changes but that was awhile ago now.