The Battle of Charlottesville

1 minute ago, Wilber said:

Even so, they weren't picky. Arabs raided for slaves as far north as Ireland. Many white Christians could be found chained to the benches of their galleys.

And how many Arab Muslims did they enslave?

Just now, DogOnPorch said:

And you think the Arabs were't racist? Okay, Mallone.

Racism exists in just about, if not every society. Slavery by Europeans in the Americas was restricted entirely to Black Africans as well as local natives in parts of South and Central America.

One wonders how it became that way. Economics to begin with I suppose. Black Africans were cheap I guess and because they were another race, easier to justify. Before that, Europeans used to enslave each other right and left. Even though the ancient Romans built an empire on slavery, they were not racist. Citizens and slaves came from all races and colours.

2 minutes ago, Chrissy1979 said:

It's hard to believe right-wing political discourse has degenerated so quickly that they are already trying to make the case that anti-racism is just as bad as racism.

I'm sure the Taliban and ISIS etc feel they have good reasons to destroy history. Trying to be like them also requires a good enough reason. Everybody not you being a Nazi is a great start. Let the hate flow through you.

Just now, Wilber said:

Racism exists in just about, if not every society. Slavery by Europeans in the Americas was restricted entirely to Black Africans as well as local natives in parts of South and Central America.

One wonders how it became that way. Economics to begin with I suppose. Black Africans were cheap I guess and because they were another race, easier to justify. Before that, Europeans used to enslave each other right and left. Even though the ancient Romans built an empire on slavery, they were not racist. Citizens and slaves came from all races and colours.

Islam is racist.

1 minute ago, Chrissy1979 said:

It's hard to believe right-wing political discourse has degenerated so quickly that they are already trying to make the case that anti-racism is just as bad as racism.

No one is saying that, not even Trump.  The media is trying to make a false equivalency to label Trump a racist - it's quite tranparent.  People are saying that the violence came equally from both sides.  Just because one side has a philosophy that is less socially acceptable doesn't mean that the other side is without fault. 

4 minutes ago, Chrissy1979 said:

And even the Trump snugglers on here think things are looking up.  General Lee = George Washington !

2 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

And even the Trump snugglers on here think things are looking up.  General Lee = George Washington !

I like Lee as a historical figure.

If I was a lowly soldier, I'd be hungrier in his Army...but far better led and likely to survive.

6 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

The comparisons from the far left point of view is actually similar.  The left wants Jackson taken off of their currency.  As Trump said, where does it stop?  Well, for the leftists, it doesn't.

Just now, DogOnPorch said:

Ah...let others use the bats. Smart!

No bats. I don't think fighting it out with these guys in the streets is productive. The actions of ANTIFA actually gets them some support that might not otherwise be forthcoming. The responses of some on this forum should make that clear. Shining bright lights on who and what they really are would be much better. That and ignoring their demonstrations. Let them stand in the park alone with nobody to demonstrate against.

2 minutes ago, Wilber said:

No bats. I don't think fighting it out with these guys in the streets is productive. The actions of ANTIFA actually gets them some support that might not otherwise be forthcoming. The responses of some on this forum should make that clear. Shining bright lights on who and what they really are would be much better. That and ignoring their demonstrations. Let them stand in the park alone with nobody to demonstrate against.

Alone, eh? No bats, eh? But bathe them in light, eh? Right.....

And who gets to decide who is and who is not a True Scotm...errr...Nazi, again?

By we, I mean the public holding these people accountable for what they say and do. Several of these guys have lost their jobs over this. I would hope a few ANTIFAS would as well. As has been said many times, freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences, just that you can't be put in jail for it.

2 minutes ago, Wilber said:

By we, I mean the public holding these people accountable for what they say and do. Several of these guys have lost their jobs over this. I would hope a few ANTIFAS would as well. As has been said many times, freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences, just that you can't be put in jail for it.

Sounds an awful lot like an down-home ol' fashioned witchhunt to moi. Let me get my pitchfork.

Edited by DogOnPorch