Art Exhibit Cancelled. Deemed to be Cultural Appropriation

Hypothetically, as a person of Swedish descent, should I have a hissy-fit next time I see somebody wearing a fake Viking helmet with fake blond braids?

-k

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kimmy said:

Hypothetically, as a person of Swedish descent, should I have a hissy-fit next time I see somebody wearing a fake Viking helmet with fake blond braids?

-k

Or shopping at IKEA!

Well if;

The swedish were colonized, tried to have their culture eradicated, raised in poverty and then had their colonials use their cultural art as a kitsch-y profit maker rather than a paid tribute honouring the struggle of that art in partnership with that culture

.....then yes you buying a Flarfvanflugt would be considered appropriation.

B)

58 minutes ago, Bob Macadoo said:

Well if;

The swedish were colonized, tried to have their culture eradicated, raised in poverty and then had their colonials use their cultural art as a kitsch-y profit maker rather than a paid tribute honouring the struggle of that art in partnership with that culture

.....then yes you buying a Flarfvanflugt would be considered appropriation.

B)

I'd still do it if it kept my socks and underwear organised.

On 5/27/2017 at 2:48 PM, herples said:

Claiming that copyright law is important to this discussion ignores the more important points about cultural appropriation. 

Your belief there is anything important about cultural appropriation is at odds with reality.

22 hours ago, kimmy said:

-k

Sounds like a triggering incident to me. And better make sure anyone who makes Swedish meatballs has the correct ethnic heritage and is cooking within the proper cultural context. 

22 hours ago, Bob Macadoo said:

Well if;

The swedish were colonized, tried to have their culture eradicated, raised in poverty and then had the

So cultural appropriation depends on how good your ancestors were at fighting?

Intimately.....exchange of cultural practices on an even trading field......re; spaghetti from China......is not appropriation.  Absconding practices via dominance is pretty much the definition of appropriation (beef curry/vindaloo).  As I've said the appropriation of hip-hop culture is only been overlooked as alot of black americans are making alot of money off white appropriation (Dr. Dre).  Greed is universal.

35 minutes ago, Bob Macadoo said:

Intimately.....exchange of cultural practices on an even trading field......re; spaghetti from China......is not appropriation.  Absconding practices via dominance is pretty much the definition of appropriation (beef curry/vindaloo).  As I've said the appropriation of hip-hop culture is only been overlooked as alot of black americans are making alot of money off white appropriation (Dr. Dre).  Greed is universal.

No one is saying appropriation doesn't exist. The question is, as cultures mix, isn't it inevitable? 

And we only seem to get worked up about appropriation when Minority Groups are involved. 

Edited by Boges

10 minutes ago, Bob Macadoo said:

You making mariachi/C&W slow jams....not so nice.

Really? Because so many popular songs in recent years have been mashups of different culture's music. 

Latin musicians do it all the time. In fact the entire genre or Reggeaton is stealing Dance Hall beats and making it Latin. This new song Despacito that's really popular has a version with Justin Bieber. 

Bollwood appropriation in music is also quite common. 

Who's to say what's stealing? Are we still upset that Jazz and Rocking Roll was originally an African American dominated genre? 

Edited by Boges

On 5/29/2017 at 4:40 PM, Bob Macadoo said:

.....again with minority groups that were dominated.  You eating sushi is probably safe......you making mariachi/C&W slow jams....not so nice.

Cultures mixing is an equal exchange of ideas.....great.....stealing culture to be chic......not so much.

You cannot 'steal' culture.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bob Macadoo said:

......you're right the PC term is appropriate......so as not to offend the colonial snowflakes.

The word is dumb. The concept is dumb. There's precious little about native culture anyone would want anything to do with anyway.

• Like 1

Well there it is. 

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/should-white-chefs-sell-burritos-controversy-over-culturally-appropriating-food-sizzles-in-portland

Portland, Oregon, has become the epicentre in a growing movement to call out white people who profit off the culinary ideas and dishes swiped from other cultures.

In the days since two white women were shamed into shutting down their pop-up burrito cart after telling a reporter that they had “picked the brains of every tortilla lady” in Puerto Nuevo, Mexico, Portland has become all but fed up with cultural appropriation within its city limits. One writer has stated, flat out, that “Portland has an appropriation problem,” going on to explain:

“Because of Portland’s underlying racism, the people who rightly own these traditions and cultures that exist are already treated poorly. These appropriating businesses are erasing and exploiting their already marginalized identities for the purpose of profit and praise.”

Stay in your lane white person! Only make burgers and poutine!

11 hours ago, Boges said:

The racism isn't very underlying if white women get shamed into giving up their livelihood.  It seems quite overlying to me.

1 minute ago, bcsapper said:

The racism isn't very underlying if white women get shamed into giving up their livelihood.  It seems quite overlying to me.

Hate to break it to the SJWs, but Spain is in Europe. Mexicans don't come from under cabbage leaves.

On 5/27/2017 at 0:55 PM, bcsapper said:

I already stated, in a world where multiculturalism seems to be a laudable goal what better way of achieving it than borrowing and using whatever you want from whatever culture you want.

You said you had a better way.  I disagreed.  Still do.

I also said that copyright law is the only thing that matters when it comes to cultural appropriation.  Given my first statement the second would follow automatically.  If it isn't protected, go ahead and use it. 

You said the claiming that copyright law is important to this discussion ignores the more important points about cultural appropriation. I think if it's important, it's protected.  If it's just annoying, so what?

So you are just going to go in circles then. 

On 5/28/2017 at 10:40 AM, kimmy said:

-k

Sweden has a large degree of how it wants it's culture to be viewed with a functioning media and a large group of people with knowledge of it's culture. First Nations do not have that benefit as history has shown the government tried to stamp it out. 

12 hours ago, herples said:

Sweden has a large degree of how it wants it's culture to be viewed with a functioning media and a large group of people with knowledge of it's culture. First Nations do not have that benefit as history has shown the government tried to stamp it out. 

Don't the First Nations have their own basic cable channel that everyone is forced to subscribe to?