Create New Topic or Status Update?

I see a problem with people starting new topics in their status update instead of actually Creating a New Topic.   When you do it in Status Update, nobody can quote a previous comment easily in order to discuss it.  One would have to type out individually a quote which makes it more tedious and difficult.  Why not consider just starting a New Topic under the appropriate heading.  Thanks.

Edited by blackbird

Feel free to start a formal thread discussion on any topic you wish. 

13 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Why not consider just starting a New Topic under the appropriate heading.  Thanks.

You can do it. 

Feel free to open any topic you want to carry over a Status Update diatribe towards a formal thread. 

9 hours ago, blackbird said:

I see a problem with people starting new topics in their status update instead of actually Creating a New Topic.   When you do it in Status Update, nobody can quote a previous comment easily in order to discuss it.  One would have to type out individually a quote which makes it more tedious and difficult.  Why not consider just starting a New Topic under the appropriate heading.  Thanks.

Usually, a status update is just a quip about something someone has read, or thought about , but not really wanting  to get into anything deeper than just blurting it out.

If you see something from a status update you want to pursue, you can create a topic about it.  You could also say if it was inspired by a status update, and/or quote a response in it that inspired the new thread.

Edited by betsy

• 3 weeks later...

Please do create NEW topics instead of drifting threads, eg. Evaluating the biblical figure of Abraham on a thread about immigration.

The moderators will be hiding posts much less often moving forward, so it will be on you to help keep threads on track.  Many of you have been picking up on that and thank you.

On 4/7/2017 at 3:22 AM, betsy said:

Usually, a status update is just a quip about something someone has read, or thought about , but not really wanting  to get into anything deeper than just blurting it out.

If you see something from a status update you want to pursue, you can create a topic about it.  You could also say if it was inspired by a status update, and/or quote a response in it that inspired the new thread.

Good ideas, IMO.

10 minutes ago, Omni said:

I guess I'm a dummy but I was thinking of starting a status update and I can't seem to find out how. No big deal it was just a fun thing anyway, but I'll take any guidance I can get. Thanks in advance.

Top of the page, where it says "Create". The drop down offers you the choice of a status update or a thread. 

Edited by bcsapper

Just now, Omni said:

Well I tried that but that menu I get only seems to give me the option of threads. 

I think you have to activate status updates in your profile. Then it should show up in the menu. 

13 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

I think you have to activate status updates in your profile. Then it should show up in the menu. 

Alrighty I think I finally got there. Not that what I was thinking about starting is all that important, but maybe just a little fun. Thank for the help.