Trudeau tour.

PIK

Jerk 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/trudeau-town-hall-sherbrooke-quebec-public-questions-1.3940058

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau answered questions ranging from local concerns about public transit to tabling new federal pot legislation at Tuesday night's town hall in Sherbrooke, Que., and he answered them all in French — because, he said, "we're in Quebec."

A woman asked in English what would be done to help Anglo-Quebecers seeking mental health services when those services are only available in French.

"Thank you for your use of both official languages," Trudeau replied in French. 

"But we're in a French province so I will answer in French," he answered, as the woman grew visibly annoyed. 

"All people who speak one of the two official languages should feel comfortable across the country," he said, in French, while highlighting the federal government's investment in health.

I dare him to do the reverse and refuse to speak french outside of Quebec. 

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Boges said:

Crickets from JT apologists. 

About speaking only in French?    Does he have the same English only rule outside of Quebec?    Is he obligated to speak French to French speaking people and English to English speaking people regardless of where he is?  Just what should be the rule here?  

I personally think it would have been nice if he had responded in English and then repeat in French and vice versa when outside of Quebec.   But maybe timewise that wouldn't be practical at these kinds of events.   

I notice he's getting better at not answering questions too.   

Just now, dialamah said:

About speaking only in French?    Does he have the same English only rule outside of Quebec?    Is he obligated to speak French to French speaking people and English to English speaking people regardless of where he is?  Just what should be the rule here?  

I personally think it would have been nice if he had responded in English and then repeat in French and vice versa when outside of Quebec.   But maybe timewise that wouldn't be practical at these kinds of events.   

I notice he's getting better at not answering questions too.   

At least you tried to apologize for him. 

It's douchy and tone deaf. This entire tour is a compilation of gaffes and mistakes. 

The idea that, since Quebec is a French Province, he'll only speak French there flies in the face of the idea that we're a bilingual country. Then why in English Ontario are we subjected to French everything where the percentage of unilingual French is negligible. 

I'm certain he wouldn't refuse to speak French outside of Quebec. 

1 minute ago, Boges said:

The idea that, since Quebec is a French Province, he'll only speak French there flies in the face of the idea that we're a bilingual country.

I don't agree with what he did, but Quebec is not a bilingual province.  Their official language is French.

As for the tour being all gaffes - these are all very small things that the media fixates on.  They did the same kind of thing to Harper, Chretien, Martin, etc.

47 minutes ago, Boges said:

The idea that, since Quebec is a French Province, he'll only speak French there flies in the face of the idea that we're a bilingual country. Then why in English Ontario are we subjected to French everything where the percentage of unilingual French is negligible. 

I gather that Sherbrooke is a heavily Francophone community, and so it seems logical that more of the audience would understand the answer if he gives it in French.

But as you say, if he's in Edmonton or  Vancouver and somebody asks him a question in French, is he going to reply in English only? I personally doubt it.

-k

11 minutes ago, cybercoma said:

He's not wrong, but when you have a question in English about minority language rights and you answer her in French, it's insulting. He should have answered in both languages, period. I can't for the life of me imagine someone in Manitoba asking a question in French about having a problem accessing services in French and him answering in English only, especially with the insulting line, "English is the language of this province."

As I said, he wa wrong to do what he did.  On the other side, it is different in that Quebec actually does have an official language, unlike Manitoba.  Trudeau was pandering to French speakers - or backfired.

35 minutes ago, cybercoma said:

This is a stupid comment when you consider one of Pierre Trudeau's lasting legacies is language education around the country. That's why kids in rural Alberta have French classes and kids in Sherbrooke, QC have English classes. Pierre Trudeau was staunchly about inclusion, so the French wouldn't be relegated to what he infamously called a ghetto, i.e. the province of Quebec.

And that is why quebec has a culture and english canada does not. We are not allowed to have one ,because we are multicultural except for quebec. And justin has proved it with some of his comments over the past few yrs. And don't give me any crap like PET went after the separatists, because he only went after the violent wing, since PET was against violence.

Edited by PIK

18 minutes ago, cybercoma said:

On a topic about people who can't get services in English. I don't know how he could be so myopic.

Agreed completely - he was wrong to do what he did, he just wasn't wrong in his irrelevant point.

1 hour ago, kimmy said:

I gather that Sherbrooke is a heavily Francophone community, and so it seems logical that more of the audience would understand the answer if he gives it in French.

But as you say, if he's in Edmonton or  Vancouver and somebody asks him a question in French, is he going to reply in English only? I personally doubt it.

-k

Kimmy I went to Bishop's. It's in Lenoxville, which is mostly English and about 10 miles down from Sherbrooke. Sherbrooke is 95% French, Lennoxville and pockets of the Eastern townships around it, can be 100% English. Here's the point. Most people who live in the Townships, even English or French speak the other language now. Pretty much although its possible you have French who don't speak English and vice versa.  I lived there for awhile. Sherbrooke the city  is kind of ugly but its surrounding area is great its all ski country. Now Universite de Sherbrooke is a nice campus and Bishop's is a great campus. Not a bad place to live if you can find a job which is actually hard.

That said Trudeau is a large sphincter muscle. Common courtesy is if someone speaks to you in English you answer them in English, if they speak to you in French, you answer them in French. If you are on t.v. you can answer in both languages but you show courtesy to the questioner. I don't give a damn where I am in Canada I speak to people in either French or English because those are the two official languages of CANADA. Trudeau is a moron. CANADA is an officially bilingual country which means the FEDERAL government in which he supposedly serves is legally required under the Official Languages Act a FEDERAL law to apply to anyone in the  FEDERAL government  serving a Canadian-they must provide French or English to all Canadians on their request anywhere in Canada.

In fact this is why language discrimination not listed in the federal  Human Rights Act as a ground of discrimination, because the Official Languages act guarantees the federal government anywhere in Canada must service its people in either language. In fact even in say Alberta or somewhere with no French people or vice versa, there always must be a designated bilingual employee.

This is a fundamental legal principle of federal law. Trudeau is a blithering moron to have violated this law. How he did not understand common courtesy and that basic law is anyone's guess. It shows what an ignorant, arrogant, phony snot membrane he is. He was trying to score points with Quebecers who are Francophone because he senses the Tories have a bunch of candidates running who can't speak French and he wants to exploit that. It was a rude, ignorant, insulting, belittling, arrogant, crass, phony political manouver.

He's a low life for doing that. He was not and is not in the Quebec civil service. 

Trudeau by speaking French to this women showed he is a bigoted, snot faced sob. Ironically Franco Quebecers are calling him out as an ignoramus. You know why? I do. Because contrary to old time separatists, most Francophone Quebecers will speak English and most English Quebecers will speak French in Sherbrooke, Montreal and Hull where there are bith. Its our unwritten rule to each other We have always done so as a courtesy where we both live. Those of us who did not did not do it to be rude but because of lack of education in the other language. 

Trudeau showed he was a rude, insensitive, manipulative prick.

Avec sincerite,

Rue Stephan (Celine) Dion 

Edited by Rue

1 hour ago, PIK said:

And that is why quebec has a culture and english canada does not. We are not allowed to have one ,because we are multicultural except for quebec. And justin has proved it with some of his comments over the past few yrs. And don't give me any crap like PET went after the separatists, because he only went after the violent wing, since PET was against violence.

English Canada?  Back up a second.  There are Canadians outside Quebec who speak French. The Metis and French in Manitoba, l'Acadiens in New Brunswick, the francophones in Sudbury and Timmins and on the Quebec and Manitoba borders, pockets of French in all provinces, have unique cultures. Quebec is not the only French speaking Canadian people with culture. For that matter English Canada has very distinct cultures in the Atlantic Provinces, B.C., teh North, Ontario, Quebec.

We have cultures or in fact English subcultures and French sub cultures. The point is language alone is not the sole determinant of our culture.  I think you are confused thinking culture is to be lumped under just the English or French languages. No in Canada it depends on the regions people have lived in and whether they are native, French, English and many other things, i.e., Irish, Scottish, English,. Dutch, Jewish, Ukrainian, Siekh, and so on.

The culture of Canad starts with the native peoples many nations each with their own languages and cultural traditions then cultural traits from British and French laws that mixed with the native cultures. Then came many other cultures of many languages.

The one unique Canadian vision of culture is so mixed we have a hard time defining it but because its starting point is native then British and French, and then this mixed with other cultures, its too complex to define as English or French. 

3 hours ago, dialamah said:

About speaking only in French?    Does he have the same English only rule outside of Quebec?    Is he obligated to speak French to French speaking people and English to English speaking people regardless of where he is?  Just what should be the rule?

I think the rule is don't be an idiot. Parizeau,   Levesque et al answered English question in English. If separatist scan do it it so can the PM. 

And now we have official complaints. 

OTTAWA - The Office of the Commissioner of Official Languages has received nine complaints related to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's French-only answers to English questions at a public meeting in Quebec.

Spokesman Nelson Kalil said today the office is launching an investigation into the complaints.

Trudeau angered some anglophones by insisting on answering English questions in French at a town hall meeting in Sherbrooke on Tuesday.

On Wednesday he said that on reflection he maybe should have answered partly in English and partly in French.

Because the office cannot investigate individuals, the probe will focus on whether the Privy Council Office violated the Official Languages Act in its role of supporting the prime minister.

Kalil says the investigation could take three to six months.

- See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/language-complaints-filed-over-trudeau-s-french-answers-to-english-questions-1.7956056#sthash.vYCZOzti.dpuf

LOL at 6 Months. Way to waste more taxpayer funds JT!

36 minutes ago, Rue said:

English Canada?  Back up a second.  There are Canadians outside Quebec who speak French. The Metis and French in Manitoba, l'Acadiens in New Brunswick, the francophones in Sudbury and Timmins and on the Quebec and Manitoba borders, pockets of French in all provinces, have unique cultures. Quebec is not the only French speaking Canadian people with culture. For that matter English Canada has very distinct cultures in the Atlantic Provinces, B.C., teh North, Ontario, Quebec.

We have cultures or in fact English subcultures and French sub cultures. The point is language alone is not the sole determinant of our culture.  I think you are confused thinking culture is to be lumped under just the English or French languages. No in Canada it depends on the regions people have lived in and whether they are native, French, English and many other things, i.e., Irish, Scottish, English,. Dutch, Jewish, Ukrainian, Siekh, and so on.

The culture of Canad starts with the native peoples many nations each with their own languages and cultural traditions then cultural traits from British and French laws that mixed with the native cultures. Then came many other cultures of many languages.

The one unique Canadian vision of culture is so mixed we have a hard time defining it but because its starting point is native then British and French, and then this mixed with other cultures, its too complex to define as English or French. 

1% cant speak english ,sorry but that is not enough to do what we do. This is what causes great pain for the country. Like the case of the guy that sued air canada because he was asked in english what he wanted to drink, smae guy sued teh bus lines in ottawa because the driver said hello in english. Just another policy that gets abused and costs us taxpayers a forune. You see how frech get extra care in this country and the english don't. Another reason why our public service is a joke, we are not getting the right people for the right jobs.

On 1/18/2017 at 0:26 PM, Boges said:

Jerk 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/trudeau-town-hall-sherbrooke-quebec-public-questions-1.3940058

I dare him to do the reverse and refuse to speak french outside of Quebec. 

He's rude, to say the least.  He knew too, what he was doing.  He had that smug look on his face.

Considering the question being asked - to deliberately respond in French was a slap in the face! 

Malicious man.  It was a "bitchy" response.

Edited by betsy

On 1/13/2017 at 4:48 PM, The_Squid said:

$1000 per month for Hydro?   Does she use the oven to heat her mansion???   

Something is not adding up with this lady.  I think she was after a hug from our goodlooking PM...

There would be nothing wrong with using an oven or a bunch of toasters or a few hundred incandescent bulbs to heat her home. All resistance elements are 100% efficient, less a tiny bit of noise, electromagnetic radiation, or light.