Screening for Canadian Values

Kellie Leitch, and Argus, have promoted the idea that we should screen immigrants (and refugees) for Canadian Values.   I know there are a variety of opinions on what Canadian Values are, but for the purposes of this thread, let’s agree to focus on these four:

• Religious freedom

• Equality of women

• Equal rights for LGBT people

• Separation of religion and government.

How would an effective screening system be developed?   What would it include?  Many companies use some form of personality or ‘culture’ testing to find the right fit for a position.  How effective are they, and could a “Canadian Values" screening test be developed from an already existing corporate test?

For the screening test,  should an intolerant ‘attitude’ or belief be separated from a willingness to act on that belief, or are they one and the same? Should the economic worth of the applicant be considered so that someone who is more likely to create wealth in Canada is considered more ‘attractive’?  If an otherwise attractive applicant fails the screening test, but only by a little, should they be able to access some remedial course in Canadian Values and retake the test?  

Would the goal be to screen all immigrants (or refugees), or just those from certain parts of the world?   Should immigrants and Canadians already living in Canada also be screened to develop a ‘baseline’ to which new arrivals can be compared?   Should the screening include temporary workers and students, or even vacationers?  

What are some of the pitfalls of a 'values screening test'?   How could it be designed so that it couldn't be hacked or beaten, thus allowing applicants with un-Canadian values entry?

These are the questions I’ve been asking myself as I participate (argue?) in the “Immigration of Religious Fanatics” thread, and I thought it might be interesting to discuss in a more objective manner to see if it does make sense or could be effectively implemented.    

11 minutes ago, dialamah said:

What are some of the pitfalls of a 'values screening test'?   How could it be designed so that it couldn't be hacked or beaten, thus allowing applicants with un-Canadian values entry?

It certainly would be an economic boon to the immigration industry (lawyers, consultants, educators, and others who facilitate the immigration process). No time to discuss, I have to register my Canadian Values Coaching business. If you are interested, I have a franchise opportunity available. 

One thing I would do for all immigrants, regarldless of where they are fom, is inform them of the kind of country they are joining.  There was something a little while back about Barbaric Cultural Practices that was agood first step but I would go way beyond that.

1 minute ago, bcsapper said:

One thing I would do for all immigrants, regarldless of where they are fom, is inform them of the kind of country they are joining.  There was something a little while back about Barbaric Cultural Practices that was agood first step but I would go way beyond that.

Do you really think they don't know already?    I mean, I know there are things like culture shock and all the differences between countries, but do you think they come to Canada and are surprised by the concept of female equality or homosexuals being accepted, etc?   

Edited by dialamah

2 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Do you really think they don't know already?    I mean, I know there are things like culture shock and all the differences between countries, but do you think they come to Canada and are surprised by the concept of female equality or homosexuals being accepted, etc?   

Not surprised in many cases, just unaware of how quickly they will be deported if they don't toe the line.  Of course, you have to willing to follow through.

Just now, bcsapper said:

Not surprised in many cases, just unaware of how quickly they will be deported if they don't toe the line.  Of course, you have to willing to follow through.

Oh I see .. the plan would be to say "Here's the rules, follow them or back you go", is that it?

So ok for first generation immigrants; there's a policy that they go back if they break any serious laws (surely not deported for jaywalking).   What about 2nd, 3rd and 4th, if they decide not to follow the rules, or exhibited un-Canadian values in some way?

Just now, dialamah said:

Oh I see .. the plan would be to say "Here's the rules, follow them or back you go", is that it?

So ok for first generation immigrants; there's a policy that they go back if they break any serious laws (surely not deported for jaywalking).   What about 2nd, 3rd and 4th, if they decide not to follow the rules, or exhibited un-Canadian values in some way?

If one is born here, there's not a lot that can be done.

28 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

It certainly would be an economic boon to the immigration industry (lawyers, consultants, educators, and others who facilitate the immigration process). No time to discuss, I have to register my Canadian Values Coaching business. If you are interested, I have a franchise opportunity available. 

You'd better register it in Calcutta since your clients won't be coming to Canada.

25 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Yes.

22 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Sorry? Quickly? It took us seven years of court battles to deport a  serial killer to the states.

9 minutes ago, Argus said:

Sorry? Quickly? It took us seven years of court battles to deport a  serial killer to the states.

Yeah, it's the same in the UK.  One of the reasons for Brexit, I think.  Still, one can hope.

7 hours ago, dialamah said:

Kellie Leitch, and Argus, have promoted the idea that we should screen immigrants (and refugees) for Canadian Values.   I know there are a variety of opinions on what Canadian Values are, but for the purposes of this thread, let’s agree to focus on these four:

We only need one, doing unto others yadda yadda.

Without this every thing else is completely redundant. Everything.

8 hours ago, dialamah said:
  • Religious freedom
  • Equality of women
  • Equal rights for LGBT people
  • Separation of religion and government.

I suspect that a lot of the people who are trying to move here are doing so because of some of the concepts you have listed here. I know people who have lived here forever, multi generational, who have trouble with some of the ideas listed. But they agree to live and let live. Doesn't affect them anyway. You can attend whatever house of worship you choose, but I doubt for instance many people who are fleeing Syria are coming here to turn Canada into another form of Syria. I have confidence Canadian laws will continue to be progressive.  

Canadians should all be compelled to become Muslim to avoid further problems with Islam.

This is the simplest solution and will avoid decades of violence.

Otherwise, the Government could institute a Dhimmi tax for non-Muslims in Canada who could then pay protection money directly to Islamic charities to avoid violence.

A win-win situation.

Canadians should all be compelled to become Muslim to avoid further problems with Islam.

This is the simplest solution and will avoid decades of violence.

Canada doesn't have problems of any note with Islam. Nor do we have anything to indicate that there is decades of violence ahead of us.

So there be no need to compel anyone to anything

43 minutes ago, Peter F said:

Canada doesn't have problems of any note with Islam. Nor do we have anything to indicate that there is decades of violence ahead of us.

So there be no need to compel anyone to anything

Islam = The Religion of Peace. There are absolutely zero problems with the perfect and unalterable word of Allah.

Canadians should be both proud and happy to comply...and it has the bonus side effect of eliminating the need to conduct terrorism campaigns against non-believers once the Muslim population reaches a certain strength in numbers.

23 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Islam = The Religion of Peace.

Yes, talk about the biggest jokes out there.

Islam, religion of peace, with some of the most violent terrorists

Christianity, religion of love, with some of the most vile hatred expressed

Conservatives, (currently) preaching tolerance, and some of the most intolerant of all people

1 hour ago, Peter F said:

Concrete barriers and machineguns have become a routine part of every major crowd event in Canada. Is that because of the Jews, do you think?

9 hours ago, Omni said:

I suspect that a lot of the people who are trying to move here are doing so because of some of the concepts you have listed here. 

So we should let them, and keep the other kind out. Why is that such a hard concept for you to grasp?

10 hours ago, Omni said:

Yes you would think that, but again, you only make assumptions. Hundreds of millions of thousands them. Or whatever numbers you're playing with today.

Unlike yourself I've given cites for all my numbers and all my facts.

17 hours ago, bcsapper said:

If one is born here, there's not a lot that can be done.

It's an intellectually bankrupt argument anyway. It's like saying we have criminals in Canada, so what business do we have screening out criminals from potential immigrants? Duh!

15 minutes ago, Argus said:

Concrete barriers and machineguns have become a routine part of every major crowd event in Canada.

Is that sarcasm, or are you living in a different Canada than I. Perhaps Harper's G20 fiasco had machine guns, although I don't remember them from the press coverage, but I can't think of any major crowd event I've been to that had them. Yes, I'm sure they are close by (and always have been), but not as a visible deterrent. Last time I remember regularly seeing machine guns was when I lived in Europe 30 years ago, mostly at airports.