Should Canada screen potential immigrants/refugees for Canadian Values

Argus

Screening for Canadian values  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tory leadership candidate Kellie Leitch has asked if Canada should start screening immigrants on their values, and in particular on their views of Canadian values.

It will shock no one here that I'm very strongly in favour. As for the suggestion they will simply lie, there are numerous carefully calculated personality screening tests out there which will give us a view of just how hostile potential newcomers are to basic freedoms, to accepting others views, to challenges to their own beliefs, not to mention their views on Jews, gays, and women.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/tory-leadership-hopeful-kellie-leitch-asks-whether-ottawa-should-screen-immigrants-for-anti-canadian-values

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tory leadership candidate Kellie Leitch has asked if Canada should start screening immigrants on their values, and in particular on their views of Canadian values.

It will shock no one here that I'm very strongly in favour. As for the suggestion they will simply lie, there are numerous carefully calculated personality screening tests out there which will give us a view of just how hostile potential newcomers are to basic freedoms, to accepting others views, to challenges to their own beliefs, not to mention their views on Jews, gays, and women.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/tory-leadership-hopeful-kellie-leitch-asks-whether-ottawa-should-screen-immigrants-for-anti-canadian-values

Trump rhetoric has crossed the border.

Absolutely yes. Seeing what is happening now in Europe (Germany and France in particular) we must avoid these civil disturbances in this peaceful beautiful land and keep out those who do not believe in values which included respect for human rights, respect for women's right, equality regardless of gender, race, skin color, religions, freedom of view and expression, care for neighbor and democracy. We must refuse those who wish to disturb any or all of above values or wish to change our way of life.

The liberal commentators on power and politics came out with fake rage and calling anyone that agree a racist. Makes me sick that people will allow anyone to come here ,so they can sleep at night knowing they did not offend anyone.

I agree that its appropriate to vette people who want to live in Canada. There is already some vetting done on refugees by the UN, checking background and associates, and Canada does more. I know police checks in country of origin are done for people who apply for Canadian Citizenship. I don't know if more can be done or if there is any way of guaranteeing violent people will never get into Canada.

I would prefer to bring people who would live a lawful life in Canada. I would prefer that extremists not find a home in Canada. Unlike some of you, howver, I don't consider matters of apparel or non-violent personal beliefs an attack on our culture.

Also, vetting incoming people doesn't address home-grown terrorism. If Argus' claim that second generation immigrants are more extreme is accurate, I would want to understand why that is and address it.

Edited by dialamah

It is not racism if we screen based on values only. It will be racism if we screen based on skin color or regions as suggested in another thread by a few people.

What is said on other threads is that multiculturalism is the problem. Yes, we should screen new immigrants on morals and values and as to how much do they really do want to become a Canadian. Are they willing to leave their past life and culture and traditions behind and become Canadian and accept Canadian culture and traditions and learn English into their lives? We have too many new immigrants immigrating to Canada who are doing just the opposite. They are wanting to carry on with their own past here in Canada and not bother to assimilate.

I guess that I cannot blame them in a way when we see that our politically correct pro-multicultural politicians tell them that it is alright to keep and promote their culture, religion and language, and tell them that the Canadian taxpayer's will help you to do so. This needs to end before future conflicts like we see going on in Europe, and which could happen here in Canada. There is nothing wrong with demanding that new immigrants accept living the Canadian way of life if they want to stay here. They can live with their past in their own homes but it must be left there. Outside they must speak and show that they are Canadian. The less third world immigration, the better they will be able to assimilate. The more brought in from the third world, the less they are willing to assimilate. Immigrants coming from what use to be our traditional sources of immigrants like from Britain, Europe or Australia do. I don't understand as to why to say and call things as they should be is some how racism. The world racism is overplayed a little bit too much here in Canada. If wanting to preserve Canada as it once was is racist than I must be a racist. I am Canadian and proud of it. :)

If wanting to preserve Canada as it once was is racist than I must be a racist. I am Canadian and proud of it. :)

I'm closing in on 60 years old and there have been people of differwnt ethnicities and languages since I was a kid. How far back are we going to preserve Canada as it "once was"?

Exactly what are Canadian values, and who gets to decide on them. Can we deport the home grown right wing nutcases that flunk the test?

I don't think you have to dig too deep into ones that are controversial. Just stick to the ones that there is near unanimous agreement on in Canada. I.e. all men and women are considered equal under the law and have equal rights in all aspects of life, freedom of speech (even offensive speech, but not hate speech) must be protected, separation of religion from the state, etc.

I don't think you have to dig too deep into ones that are controversial. Just stick to the ones that there is near unanimous agreement on in Canada. I.e. all men and women are considered equal under the law and have equal rights in all aspects of life, freedom of speech (even offensive speech, but not hate speech) must be protected, separation of religion from the state, etc.

Then you have to define hate speech. I'm okay with it so long as it falls within other laws against incitement, disturbing the peace, etc. I don't care what people hate, and I don't care who they tell.

Edited by bcsapper

Exactly what are Canadian values, and who gets to decide on them. Can we deport the home grown right wing nutcases that flunk the test?

Most certainly, if there is somewhere to deport them to. What does "home grown" mean to you?

One glaring example is that we believe in the equality of women and men.

Not across the board. There are plenty of Canadian Christians who expect women to submit to men and to stay home and raise kids. There are plenty of people who think sexually active women are sluts but give sexually active men a pass. There are still people who call an assertive woman a bitch, but admire an assertive man. We are a work in progress, albeit farther along than many other cultures around the world. And in almost every country where rights are not equally accorded by law, there are groups working to change that. We already have a wide range of attitudes in Canada, from extremely conservative to extremely progressive. We also have laws that apply to people equally so that differences in belief cannot translate into action that harms someone else. That means you can't, for instance, rape your wife regardless of whether its because "God" says its ok, because it's Friday night, or because you are just a Canadian-born and bred asshole.

One glaring example is that we believe in the equality of women and men.

All Canadians believe in the equality of men and women?

Sounds like this is the "thought-police" kind of stuff. How does one determine what one actually believes?

I can see signing a declaration that says "I know it is illegal to assault women" with a checkbox. Or "I love hockey".... Or "I will not use private healthcare" .... Or whatever we can determine are these "Canadian values" we all agree upon.

But my biggest disagreement is probably that this isn't even a real problem. It's dog-whistle politics again. It has been shown that new Canadians' values are already more progressive about these ideas than the "old stock" in many cases... I think it is incumbent upon Leitch (and the OP) to show that this is an actual problem and not just based on a feeling.

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/broadbent/pages/17/attachments/original/1430005788/Canadian_Values_are_Progressive_Values.pdf?1430005788

Edited by The_Squid

If a meaningful and effective test can be devised, yes.

I doubt it. But the reality is even Canadians don't all share the same values. Mine are sure as hell a lot different than Argus's ROFLMAO.

And we have the criminal code to deal with people that.

Also... It would just be trusting their word, and it would be telegraphed. Do you really think anyone is stupid enough to say things they know would exclude them?

The whole idea is stupid.

Not across the board.

The point is that the vast majority of Canadians believe in the equality of women and men, and live their lives by that belief.

Of course, in any society you will find a minority of citizens who do not adhere to the norm and values of the majority. For example, criminals do not adhere to the law and order rules a society has developed. That does not devalue the overriding principles that a country as a whole adheres to and works to perpetuate.

The point is that the vast majority of Canadians believe in the equality of women and men, and live their lives by that belief.

Of course, in any society you will find a minority of citizens who do not adhere to the norm and values of the majority. For example, criminals do not adhere to the law and order rules a society has developed. That does not devalue the overriding principles that a country as a whole adheres to and works to perpetuate.

Hold on. Up until the last couple of decades a women could not even testify against her husband in court. And women are paid less than men who do the same jobs.

Are we supposed to make sure that applicants have "just the right" amount of misogynism?

And are we stupid enough to believe an applicant would blurt out "I dont value women the same as men" in an interview even after seeing on the news that we would start screening immigrants for that?

This whole idea is an incredibly stupid idea that would just waste time and money. I feel pity for anyone even dumb enough to consider it.

Edited by dre