Power Seeking and Backlash Against Female Politicians

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot has been said about Hillary in other threads on this forum ranging from 'crooked Hillary' to 'sociopath' to 'power hungry'.

No one has really provided much to backup their theories on why they think this except to say that because she is part of the establishment she is a 'shill' for Wall Street.

Some people don't like female politicians, I understand that but don't agree with it. For example, while she's a bit eccentric I like Elizabeth May. I also liked former NDP leader Alexa McDonough.

But I also think Clinton is phony, crooked, and not even very good on policy. She voted for the Iraq war among a myriad of other garbage legislation as a Senator, and her stint in the State Department was marred with multiple scandals.

If you want evidence of her being crooked, I'll point you to the DNC email scandal, and also point out the fact that the former chair of the DNC, Debbie Wasserman Schultz, recently resigned over the scandal and then immediately took a position as chair of Hillary's campaign.

Essentially Hillary is her crooked lying husband, just not as good of a speaker, not as charming, and not nearly as good of a liar. Nothing about that has to do with her having a vagina. The reason people don't like her is because she's not likeable. Al Gore was also very hard to like (even more phony, uncharming etc), and that helped cost him the election in 2000 over a dumb but folksy & likeable (at the time) Dubya.

Clinton would've been smart to just be HRC the presidential candidate instead of HRC Wonder Woman.

That may be so but I don't think it was really possible, any more than it was possible for Obama to not run as the "first black president". Whether she drew attention to it herself or not, it was gonna be constantly talked about in connection with her run for president.

Edited by Bonam

Hillary stayed will Bill for one reason; to benefit her career. If she divorced Bill, her career would have been over, instead she gets to play the long suffering wife role, the supportive spouse. In reality, she always knew what was happening and considering her attitude towards these women, was more angry with them for spilling the beans than she was at him for for tickling their beans.

The Clintons have a solid business arrangement - and that seems to work for them.

That may be so but I don't think it was really possible, any more than it was possible for Obama to not run as the "first black president". Whether she drew attention to it herself or not, it was gonna be constantly talked about in connection with her run for president.

I contrasted Obama's candidacy as first black president to HRC's candidacy as first woman president in post 41 (two after the one you quoted) and offered why I think he would have faced the same backlash if he'd emphasized his race as much as HRC did her gender.

I contrasted Obama's candidacy as first black president to HRC's candidacy as first woman president in post 41 (two after the one you quoted) and offered why I think he would have faced the same backlash if he'd emphasized his race as much as HRC did her gender.

From what I remember of 2008, Obama's race was talked about non-stop throughout the election cycle, both the primary and the general. Plenty of people accused him / his campaign of using the "race card". Plenty of people to this day call him the "affirmative action president". His race was just as much a topic in 2008 as Hillary's gender is now, if not even more so (America is a country completely obsessed with race, probably more so than any other country on Earth).

From what I remember of 2008, Obama's race was talked about non-stop throughout the election cycle, both the primary and the general. Plenty of people accused him / his campaign of using the "race card". Plenty of people to this day call him the "affirmative action president". His race was just as much a topic in 2008 as Hillary's gender is now, if not even more so (America is a country completely obsessed with race, probably more so than any other country on Earth).

Yes, but his campaign didn't emphasize on it, the voter and the media did. Hillary's campaign on the other hand has made her gender a huge part of the campaign starting from her slogan to the whole theme of the DNC. Now they want to cry misogyny over anything that is said about her.

They want it both ways, it seems. They play the gender card when it suits them and they use it against anyone who isn't enamoured with a highly unlikeable candidate.

Obama's campaign did nothing of the sort.

We were on the subject of role models, and yes, I do believe a good role model is my daughter is someone who does not stay with a husband who humiliates her over and over again throughout their marriage.

Out of curiosity, can't men be role models for your daughter? Why should gender/sex matter at all for a role model?

To be fair though, with respect to politicians, there aren't really any good role models, male or female.

Obama made history by becoming the first black president and everyone talked about it and it was awesome to see a black president.

But his campaign wasn't based on his skin colour, it was based on him, the qualified candidate. For the voter, if he happened to make history, great.

This is a good comparison. Also, Margret Thatcher didn't go on about being female. And correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think Christie Clarke or Julia Gillard did either.

A lot has been said about Hillary in other threads on this forum ranging from 'crooked Hillary' to 'sociopath' to 'power hungry'.

No one has really provided much to backup their theories on why they think this except to say that because she is part of the establishment she is a 'shill' for Wall Street.

I have other theories regarding the backlash against Hillary and I will back them up with some studies. A Yale Study discovered these:

• Voters are less likely to vote for female politicians when they perceive them as power-seeking, though male politicians are not penalized
  • When participants saw male politicians as power-seeking, they also saw them as having greater agency (i.e., being more assertive, stronger, and tougher) and greater competence, while this was not true for their perceptions of power-seeking female politicians.
  • When participants saw female politicians as power-seeking, they also saw them as having less communality (i.e., being unsupportive and uncaring), while this was not true for their perceptions of power-seeking male politicians.
  • When female politicians were described as power-seeking, participants experienced feelings of moral outrage (i.e., contempt, anger, and/or disgust) towards them.

An experiment was conducted at Columbia Business School and was mentioned in Sandberg's book 'Lean in'. It involved copying a resume for a real-life female entrepreneur who was very successful as well as very out-going.

The participants were each presented with these two resumes but one had a man's name on it. The results of the study were mentioned here:

"The students rated Heidi and Howard as equally competent, but Howard was judged to be likable and a good colleague. Heidi, however, was seen as overly aggressive, selfish and not someone you’d want to work with."

It would be nice to see some hard evidence of Hillary being a sociopath among other terms thrown around here.

A Progressive Case for Clinton - In These TImes

People Don't Have to Like Hillary Clinton To Vote For Her

The Price of Power: Power Seeking and Backlash Against Female Politicians

"A Yale Study"? That kills this topic for me because Yale or even Harvard is a bastion for left wing liberalism and Marxism. No one in their right mind would go by whatever they say or do. Those two schools of non-thought are places where their students have gone wild and crazy with political correctness. Hillary is definitely their choice for dictator, and is definitely a shill for for the banksters of Wall Street.They pay her big bucks to run.

The best thing that could happen in the U.S. is Hillary winning. Compared to Trump she seems the sane choice.

Now let us take it a different way.

If I had a choice between Trump and Kathleen Wynne I would vote Trump and feel I made the better choice even while the nukes were passing overhead.

I would vote for Rona Ambrose in a heart beat over some of the names that have popped up in the conservative party for leader.

I think that Heritage Minister Melanie Joly is somebody that will raise up and a damn sight better than that nutcase Shelia Copps.

Truth is that sometimes people just do not like somebody because they don't agree with them , not because of their sex or race.

Hillary sane? Anybody that votes for her has to be insane. I don't get it as to why you would pick Hillary over Trump but would pick Trump over Wynne. Both women are so politically correct that those two words can be seen falling out of their ears by the truck load they are so full of it. They both appear to be feminists gone wild. Both are liberals and that says it all. There is no one in the Conservative party that is worthy of my vote. They had their chance to clean up this politically correct nonsense but instead they kept it around. All three political party's are in bed with each other.

Hillary stayed will Bill for one reason; to benefit her career. If she divorced Bill, her career would have been over, instead she gets to play the long suffering wife role, the supportive spouse. In reality, she always knew what was happening and considering her attitude towards these women, was more angry with them for spilling the beans than she was at him for for tickling their beans.

The Clintons have a solid business arrangement - and that seems to work for them.

Yup, you tickle my fancy, and I will tickle yours.

Out of curiosity, can't men be role models for your daughter? Why should gender/sex matter at all for a role model?

To be fair though, with respect to politicians, there aren't really any good role models, male or female.

"With respect to politicians"? Politicians do not know how to respect the tax payer's tax dollars that they like to blow willy-nilly. Role models they are not unless one is interested in learning the art of lying, stealing, cheating and how to learn and play the game of corruption and bribery that can make one lots of moola. Politicians deserve no respect. They deserve the boot. Just my opinion, of course. Works for me. :D

"A Yale Study"? That kills this topic for me because Yale or even Harvard is a bastion for left wing liberalism and Marxism. No one in their right mind would go by whatever they say or do. Those two schools of non-thought are places where their students have gone wild and crazy with political correctness. Hillary is definitely their choice for dictator, and is definitely a shill for for the banksters of Wall Street.They pay her big bucks to run.

I can see why some of the most educated people in the world would turn you off.

I can see why some of the most educated people in the world would turn you off.

Truth hurts, doesn't it? There are some so-called educated people out there whom I would not give the time of day too. There are many out there who appear to me to be nothing more than a bunch of uneducated no minds, and are very good at showing us as to how stupid, ridiculous and uneducated they really are. One does not have to go to University or College to be considered educated. There have been many with little or no education who have done quite well in life. Billionaire Bill Gates is just one of them. So, just how much money do you have in the bank? Or are you like most of us peasants? In debt up to our ears?

Hillary is smart alright. Smart at deception and lying to her followers that thinks she is an honest hard working woman. Before she really got into politics, she was broke. Now she is worth 200 million. Her charity organization is worth billions. I am pretty sure that she did not get rich from being honest in politics. But hey, you like her root for her. I will stick with Donald Trump. A politically incorrect man just like me, and we are proud of it.

Perhaps you are referring to wisdom:

I believe that education is the amount of formal learning that you have achieved. Intelligence is your ability to understand concepts. Experience is the time that you have spent on this earth and how many different life experiences you have survived. Humanity is your vision of the human interaction.

I know some who have an extensive education, some who are very intelligent, some who have survived to a very old age and some whose vision of life is positive, sensitive and enduring.

Wisdom is the achievement of a positive inter reaction of education, intelligence, experience and humanity.

I know of very few wise people.

Perhaps you are referring to wisdom:

I believe that education is the amount of formal learning that you have achieved. Intelligence is your ability to understand concepts. Experience is the time that you have spent on this earth and how many different life experiences you have survived. Humanity is your vision of the human interaction.

I know some who have an extensive education, some who are very intelligent, some who have survived to a very old age and some whose vision of life is positive, sensitive and enduring.

Wisdom is the achievement of a positive inter reaction of education, intelligence, experience and humanity.

I know of very few wise people.

Unfortunately for all the wise and peaceful intelligent, experienced and decent moral people in the world, we are stuck with so many so-called educated and intelligent and inhumane people who are running and ruling the world and are making life miserable and a mess for the rest of us.

Wisdom is sadly missing in the world, and our politicians, and the elite who pull their strings, could careless about wisdom. Their only interest in life is to make all the money they can get their greedy hands on, and hang on to power at whatever cost. Sadly, we the sheeple allow them to continue on.

He's an idiot, it's nothing for anyone to be proud of.

Well, for an idiot, Trump has done quite well for himself in life. He is a billionaire. Not that easy to become. I believe that you are just listening to much to the anti-Trump elite globalist lame duck media that every day lies about Trump and tries to get something on Trump. Nobody is listening that much to the unprofessional lying media anymore. Personally, I think that Hillary may be the real idiot here and not Trump. Just my opinion, of course.