Is The US Headed For A Big Melt Down?

Seeing what's happening next door, I can't help thinking that they seem to be hurtling towards a very big event.

Nation-wide unrest? Civil war? Martial law?

The coming election - who ever wins - can result in civil unrest.

Black Lives Matter

Islamic concerns

Resurgence of extremist right, and Supremacists

Economy

All those and what I may have failed to mention, seems to be coming into play.

Seeing what's happening next door, I can't help thinking that they seem to be hurtling towards a very big event.

Economy

As seen somewhere on Twitter: People don't want to give up economic pessimism because it would diminish the urgency of their political angst.

The coming election - who ever wins - can result in civil unrest.

Black Lives Matter

Islamic concerns

Resurgence of extremist right, and Supremacists

Economy

You living in the hope that it's the beginning of the end of days?

Me too. I like popcorn.

Edited by eyeball

Betsy, if you think/post this here, I reckon that Hillary or her staffers have started to understand politics/persuasion.

http://blog.dilbert.com/

Edited by August1991

I think it is too much recency effect and not enough historical perspective.

A couple of related reads: http://thereformedbroker.com/2016/03/22/the-markets-response-to-crisis-2/

http://www.crossingwallstreet.com/archives/2013/11/what-happens-to-stocks-when-disaster-strikes.html

And my favourite about Jesse Livermore: http://thereformedbroker.com/2016/06/27/one-hundred-and-ten-years-ago/

Get a grip, lose the angst, stop hoping for the sky to fall as if it will be interpreted as some kind of proof that we need to find Gawd Almighty again....

The Americans have dealt with Canadians streaming across the border going south for decades. The ratio is currently about 3 to 1 Canadians going south for every American going north. Must be the weather...so they tell me.

What is your point? Times change. The United States WILL become a failed state, and when that happens I would like to be far away from the border.

As an American, I cannot help but think that some of you are thinking rather pessimistically (or perhaps optimistically?)

We've had far worse unrest before. Even if it doubled, or tripled in its intensity, we've still survived worse. Then again, I'm an optimist.

I think that the point being made is, this could be the tip of the iceberg. In other words, far worse unrest than you've had before. My question is, if this occurs, will it reduce US power and influence on the world stage temporarily? That's all China needs to take over some more Islands in the South China Sea. It's all Putin needs to expand his borders as well. Who's going to stop them, the UN? (Please ignore the sound of snickering)

Yes this could be the tip, or this is the tip, or this is the top, or this is the top....

http://charts.stocktwits.com/production/original_58536446.?1468600112

I reiterate: people don't want to give up their economic pessimism because it diminishes the urgency of their political angst.

As opposed to those who don't want to give up their optimism. I feel your angst. Lost fortune and opportunity probably sucks most of all.

It is what Morgan Housel says in my signature: my biggest takeaway from economics is the past wasn't as good as you remember, the present isn't as bad as you think and the future will be better than you anticipate.

I look back over my life and I have to agree.

I have gnashed my teeth worrying about big things that never happen: big economic or environmental or geopolitical events.

In fact I have worried about these stupid things and then got blindsided by cancer which was rather micro-individual thing and also has helped to put those so called bigger things into perspective (and the little things too for that matter).

The world works just fine. Not perfect, maybe not good enough for many, but good enough for me and I'm glad that I'm lucky enough to say that.

Don't have kids so, as Andrea Leadsom MP and secretary of whatever she is in the UK would say: I don't have a stake in the future.

To some degree she is right: I don't give a poop about your grand kids and my nieces and nephew can find out the world ain't so bad in their own time.

I'm reminded of someone when I was young who said something like: why would anyone have kids in this day and age with all the problems in the world.

It is only later that I realized how historically ignorant she was.

There was/is never a good time to have children if one wants to pursue that angle.

Of course, people should or should not have kids for more straightforward reasons: lifestyle.....

Edited by msj

What, specifically, is wrong with our attitudes?

That we are optimistic?

That we aren't running around like chicken littles?

What is specifically wrong with your attitudes?

If you hadn't noticed, the title is posed as a question!

Why is it being asked? Because of the news that we see recently! And all the factors that COULD come together!

That you would automatically connect that question - which has a LOGICAL basis, btw - to the biblical rapture.......suggests that you've got a tremendous chip on shoulder, that obviously affect your thinking process!

I wouldn't call that, optimism. You're reacting so strongly to a question.

I call that, ignorance! And irrelevant! You're not on the same page!

How is the OP connected in any way with religion, and end of times? Because it's been asked by a religious person?

Anyway........you think end-of-times will manifest only in the USA? :lol: That's nuts!

You're irrationally being so....... defensive!

To connect a logical, realistic question to end of times and rapture indicate that you're the one obsessed with it! :)

That's projected in your attitude towards the title and the OP!

Edited by betsy

As an American, I cannot help but think that some of you are thinking rather pessimistically (or perhaps optimistically?)

We've had far worse unrest before. Even if it doubled, or tripled in its intensity, we've still survived worse. Then again, I'm an optimist.

Maybe, I'm so uninformed.

The OP had given several issues that are happening simultaneously....thus the question (title).

You say you'd had far worse.

Like what kind of unrest in recent history? Give an example.

Even if it doubled, or tripled in its intensity, we've still survived worse.

That sounds like wishful thinking to me.

You don't have any standard for the intensity that which you speak of - therefore you have no clue as to what it means if it's doubled, or tripled.

Again, I'd stated numerous issues that are happening practically at the same time. I might've neglected to add other factors too.

I could also point to the fact that the USA isn't exactly like the very same USA we knew 50 years ago. Obviously.

Edited by betsy