Most Underrated Movies

What flicks do you feel were largely overlooked at the box office, deserved more attention or otherwise fell through the cracks? Our culture has a short attention span and for a variety of reasons many flicks just don't get the love they deserve. There are mainstream lists of the most underrated flicks but I want to hear about the films that spoke to you...and apparently almost nobody else. Hopefully, this will lead to some discussion over the quality of our entertainment choices and help us build a sleeper watch list.

So tell us about a film that deserved more fanfare...

I have a few films that I'd like to include but I'll start with Bruckheimer's 2004 version of King Arthur. The movie demystified the classic tale, making it more of a realistic, faux historical version. It was set during the Roman occupation of the Brittains, where the Roman general Arthur, led a group of slave Sarmatian Knights in defending conquered territory from the native peoples. The movie starred Clive Owen as Arthur, Keira Knightley as Guinevere and Ioan Gruffudd who played Lancelot perfectly.

Admittedly, I am a sucker for epic movies, period pieces, historical fiction and the Arthur tale specifically. I loved the short lived Camelot and Rome series, along with The Last Kingdom, The Musketers, Spartacus, and Vikings on the small screen. I also liked Kingdom Of Heaven, Gladiator, Braveheart, 300, Alexander, Robinhood, Troy, etc.

The movie cost an estimated $120M to produce and only grossed $203M in worldwide box office sales. Though not a Water World by any means, it didn't make Jerry and his partners a lot of coin. Still, I found the unique, pretend historical retelling, the action and battle scenes, the great and honourable characters and the acting performances combined to make and exceptionally entertaining escape.

I probably re-watch it twice per year; in fact, the only films I have viewed more times would probably be The Godfather I & II, Trainspotting, Fight Club and Tombstone with Val Kilmer and Kurt Russell.

Have you seen the movie? How would you rate it?

Edited by Guest

Swingers. It's a total hidden gem. Vince Vaughn. Jon Favreau. Ron Livingston. Heather Graham. It's a must see for anyone that's gone through a really tough break up. It's cathartic, funny and creative.

Yeah, I that flick was money! Definitely worth watching.

I have a few films that I'd like to include but I'll start with Bruckheimer's 2004 version of King Arthur. The movie demystified the classic tale, making it more of a realistic, faux historical version. It was set during the Roman occupation of the Brittains, where the Roman general Arthur, led a group of slave Sarmatian Knights in defending conquered territory from the native peoples. The movie starred Clive Owen as Arthur, Keira Knightley as Guinevere and Ioan Gruffudd who played Lancelot perfectly.

Admittedly, I am a sucker for epic movies, period pieces, historical fiction and the Arthur tale specifically. I loved the short lived Camelot and Rome series, along with The Last Kingdom, The Musketers, Spartacus, and Vikings on the small screen. I also liked Kingdom Of Heaven, Gladiator, Braveheart, 300, Alexander, Robinhood, Troy, etc.

The movie cost an estimated $120M to produce and only grossed $203M in worldwide box office sales. Though not a Water World by any means, it didn't make Jerry and his partners a lot of coin. Still, I found the unique, pretend historical retelling, the action and battle scenes, the great and honourable characters and the acting performances combined to make and exceptionally entertaining escape.

I probably re-watch it twice per year; in fact, the only films I have viewed more times would probably be The Godfather I & II, Trainspotting, Fight Club and Tombstone with Val Kilmer and Kurt Russell.

Have you seen the movie? How would you rate it?

Certainly underrated. Mads Mikkelson and Stellen Skarsgaard were great in that too.

Certainly underrated. Mads Mikkelson and Stellen Skarsgaard were great in that too.

Yeah, Tristan and that Saxxon ruler were great characters. Bors as well and the guy that played Bishop Germanis is so easy to hate.

• 2 weeks later...

Whiplash was a fantastic film that was shown on HBO. I just stumbled upon it while browsing the films. Not much press but wow!

You don't mean the movie that was nominated for 5 Oscars and won 3, received a 94% critical acclaim on Rotten Tomatoes, and the top audience and grand jury awards at Sundance, do you? I absolutely love the movie, but I wouldn't call it underrated.

You don't mean the movie that was nominated for 5 Oscars and won 3, received a 94% critical acclaim on Rotten Tomatoes, and the top audience and grand jury awards at Sundance, do you? I absolutely love the movie, but I wouldn't call it underrated.

10 Underrated Performances/Films Of 2014

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3492253

'Whiplash:' The underrated film of the year The Most Underappreciated Movies Of Our Time

I enjoyed "The Big Year". It is most definitely not the type of movie I watch, but when I saw it was about birdwatching I gave it a shot and I liked it.

I don't know how it was rated.

I enjoyed "The Big Year". It is most definitely not the type of movie I watch, but when I saw it was about birdwatching I gave it a shot and I liked it.

I don't know how it was rated.

I actually heard about that film, because a player I coach was mimicking the Big Year but with species of fish caught. I think I would like to do that with a number of things: stadiums visited, brands of whisky or beer consumed, cities visited, exotic cars driven, classics read, etc. I did recently drive an Audi R8, anyone want to loan me a Lambo for a few hours?

I actually heard about that film, because a player I coach was mimicking the Big Year but with species of fish caught. I think I would like to do that with a number of things: stadiums visited, brands of whisky or beer consumed, cities visited, exotic cars driven, classics read, etc. I did recently drive an Audi R8, anyone want to loan me a Lambo for a few hours?

Yeah, if I ever win the lottery I'll spend a summer visiting all the big league ballparks. (and birdwatching along the way)

Add these movies to the list: pretty much any movie by one of the consistently best directors/writers of our time: Mike Leigh. http://www.rogerebert.com/cast-and-crew/mike-leigh

He generally makes quiet, understated powerful stories about ordinary people. And he always gets sublime performances from an ensemble cast of fine actors. They are not widely seen because they never have explosions, CGI or tits.

One of the very best is 'Vera Drake', one of my favorite movies .

Your review?

It was definitely worth watching, thanks for the tip. I was tired and, at first, I thought I wouldn't make it through but anger and sympathy pulled me in. I'm impressed with how much Mads conveys just with his eyes. I'm going to seek out a few of his other movies.

A teacher at the elementary school I attended had something similar happen to him. He was accused of touching a little girl in his class and was put on leave while an investigation took place. The little girl or her family let the reason for his absence slip, so in no time the entire school population heard about it. The investigators found that the girl was lying and her mother eventually admitted that she had faked the story in order to get her daughter transferred to a different school that was more convenient for daycare placements. The teacher was reinstated, but couldn't deal with everyone staring at their shoes in his presence and talking behind his back. Despite loving his job, he ultimately retired early and moved to a new city. He had the opportunity to press charges against the woman but I believe he chose not to.

Edited by Guest