A question on cross posting

betsy

No Cross-Posting

Cross posting is defined as posting the same information in more then one forum on the Internet. It is also considered cross posting if you post the same information in different areas of these forums.

I'd just returned from a one-week suspension for cross-posting.

If I'm not mistaken, other discussion forums don't have anything against cross posting (at least I've checked out the rules of the forums I belong to).....which I find understandable, since to have a strict rule on cross posting can become limiting in the creation of topics.

Furthermore, chances are, prolific members are more likely to be involved in more than one discussion board, but not all members of a particular board are necessarily members of another.

Having said that, I understand that Maple Leaf doesn't have to go by what other forums allow or not.

I just need some clarification.

If I write an article on the internet, does that mean I can't copy/paste that same article to be used for discussion here on Maple Leaf?

If I created a topic in another forum about let's say...."Evidence for the Existence of God".........does that mean,

I can no longer create that same topic here?

If I'm not mistaken, quite a long way back I've asked that same question, a moderator here (?) had explained that yes,

I can still post it, but the OP must not be a copy/paste.

The titles and the OP for the two same subjects that I posted here and in another forum are not copy/paste.
I'm giving both for comparison.

God of the Bible, is The Creator

This thread will provide numerous evidence, leaving no doubt that the God of Abraham is the Designer, the Creator.

Of course, we rely upon the Bible (which was given to mankind that we may have some knowledge of Him, and all that He wants us to know and understand).

Being God-inspired, the Bible is practically Authored by God, therefore, this thread also serves as the evidence for the Bible. The Bible will be heavily cited.

What is the Bible?

https://carm.org/what-bible

The Bible was written by fishermen, kings, government officials, priests, farmers, shepherds, and doctors.......and yet, from all this diversity comes an incredible unity, with common themes woven throughout. That unity is due to a single fact: it ultimately has One Author – God Himself.

It tells of paradise lost, and paradise regained.

One of the greatest evidence for the Creator is His intimate knowledge of His creation.The baker who baked the cake would of course know what's in it....nothing different than the Creator of the universe would of course know everything about it.

There are a lot of CUMULATIVE or CORROBORATING evidences that will be given.

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/topic/25798-god-of-the-bible-is-the-creator/

ABRAHAMIC GOD of the BIBLE, is the Creator

This thread will provide evidences that the God of Abraham (the God of the Bible) is the same God that Created the Universe. He is also what is called, the Designer.

The Bible - which is authored by the Creator - will be heavily cited.

One of the evidences is the fact that the Creator would undoubtedly have intimate knowledge of His creation.
The baker who baked the cake would of course know what's in it....nothing different than the Creator of the universe would of course know everything about it.

The very first statement of the Old Testament - Genesis 1 - is an official declaration by the Creator.

Genesis 1

The Beginning
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

That first statement informs us that:

1. the universe had a beginning

more...

http://www.politicalforum.com/religion-philosophy/452628-abrahamic-god-bible-creator.html

We can't post the same information already posted somewhere in this forum.

If I have three different topics that somehow are INTER-TWINED, that means I can't use the same argument/rebuttal - the same supporting statement from a source - in any of the other two subjects!

NAS' views on theistic evolution, No scientists fully understand evolution, and God of the Bible.....are undeniably

inter-twined. It's inevitable in a robust discussion that those three subjects would eventually intersect at some point! Check out the long-running discussions still on-going at the other forum. Same rebuttals are sometimes being used for the same arguments that comes up!

Rules on cross-posting as stated above - wouldn't that be stifling to a discussion?

Furthermore, what exactly constitutes, "information?"

Someone who posts, "this is a spam!" or, "that's not true!"......and posts the same thing again in another thread...........wouldn't that be cross posting too?

If the same argument is being given by several different posters, of course the same rebuttals

will be used by moi! That's a repetition of information!

I bow to your rules. But it has to be clarified.

Edited by betsy

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I created a topic in another forum about let's say....

If I write an article on the internet, does that mean I can't copy/paste that same article to be used for discussion here on Maple Leaf?

Yes, that is what it means.

If I created a topic in another forum about let's say...."Evidence for the Existence of God".........does that mean,

I can no longer create that same topic here?

No - you can create the same topic but you need to write an original post, not copy posts from another forum.

No - you can create the same topic but you need to write an original post, not copy posts from another forum.

My titles and my OP are not copy/paste.

National Academy of Sciences says there is evidence for Creation by God

The following is a quoted statement from the National Academy of Sciences.

It was used by NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) in their FAQ section.

http://www.politicalforum.com/religion-philosophy/451809-national-academy-sciences-says-there-evidence-creation-god.html

National Academy of Sciences says about creation of the universe by God

The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) had issued the following satements in the WMAP FAQ section. It posted this quote from the National Academy of Sciences regarding the organization's position on religion - particularly, creation - as a response in the FAQ.

The National Academy of Sciences also says:

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/topic/25665-national-academy-of-sciences-says-about-creation-of-the-universe-by-go/

Edited by betsy

No Scientist Really Understands Macroevolution!

That's what world-famous chemist, James Tour declared!

Here's an excerpt from his lengthy article that really give an insider's account of what's going on in the science community.

http://www.politicalforum.com/science/457149-no-scientist-really-understands-macroevolution.html

no scientist alive today understands macroevolution

James Tour made that claim! Who is James Tour?

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/topic/25773-no-scientist-alive-today-understands-macroevolution/

My titles and my OP are not copy/paste!

Edited by betsy

Philosophers and panels keep debating and discussing the same controversial topics over and over again,

in various venues.....

.......and yet we can't bring up the same topics that had been posted elsewhere, here?

Edited by betsy

I already answered the question - yes you can bring up the same topics.

We're not going to discuss the specifics of your suspension.

From what I've just explained above, I don't know of any reason why I got suspended at all.....but I'd give it the benefit of the doubt that you probably jumped the gun when someone reported me, and I can understand that having different handles on both forums, it's understandable that you suspected plagiarism.

A simple pm to inquire about tosca1 to clear the air about plagiarism would've sufficed, don't you think?

Edited by betsy

As an example, the topic about the Abrahamic God being the Creator claims to GIVE EVIDENCES WHY I'M SAYING HE IS!

Of course the very same evidences I'd given in the other forum would also be given here!

Along with the supporting sources!

Edited by betsy

My titles and my OP are not copy/paste!

Thanks for the link. It was hilarious. Is the Internet filled with threads that start with a premise based on poor reading comprehension and then follow with a bunch of insults and "bye-byes" to the people trying to explain to you what you got wrong?

Philosophers and panels keep debating and discussing the same controversial topics over and over again,

in various venues.....

.......and yet we can't bring up the same topics that had been posted elsewhere, here?

of course it was quite readily observed that you were sourcing posts (of yours) from another forum... and no, twas not I that ratted you out here. It is noteworthy that you received a similar response across the respective forums. In that you personally called my anonymous board integrity into question :lol: in some of your replies to me in these related threads, in that you adamantly ignored the like collective counter interpretations presented to you, I just now thought to look at a few of your posts closer. You should realize there are several "originality detection" tools available (free to varying degrees) that will find like passages (within broader text) across the interweeb; for example (amongst other like found passages), in regards your thread OP, "GOD of the BIBLE, is The CREATOR":

The authors were kings, fishermen, priests, government officials, farmers, shepherds, and doctors. From all this diversity comes an incredible unity, with common themes woven throughout. The Bible’s unity is due to the fact that, ultimately, it has one Author—God Himself.

The Bible was written by fishermen, kings, government officials, priests, farmers, shepherds, and doctors.......and yet, from all this diversity comes an incredible unity, with common themes woven throughout. That unity is due to a single fact: it ultimately has One Author – God Himself.

The rules on this forum are ridiculous at the best of times. Stifling conversation seems to the prime directive.

This is the very first forum that I've ever participated in, that's maybe why I keep coming back whenever I need a breather.

There are only a few posters here now that you can engage in a serious discussion with......that's not a good incentive to spend time creating a grand OP. Furthermore, topics that are not liked by some tends to get trashed.

Maybe that's the reason why so few topics are being created here. Even when I've asked some posters to create a separate thread for something that we can discuss.....nobody wants to.

I'll likely go the way of other posters - just respond in a topic I'm interested in, and not bother to create one.

Edited by betsy

There are only a few posters here now that you can engage in a serious discussion with......that's not a good incentive to spend time creating a grand OP.

I guess that would depend on what drives you. If you are interested in the subject and want to exchange ideas then why does the number of people you engage in discussion matter? I find there is a decent diversity of opinions on this site which I find far more important than a large number of people all nodding in unison (e.g. Ezra Levant's rag).

I guess that would depend on what drives you. If you are interested in the subject and want to exchange ideas then why does the number of people you engage in discussion matter? I find there is a decent diversity of opinions on this site which I find far more important than a large number of people all nodding in unison (e.g. Ezra Levant's rag).

Lucky you..... that you find a diversity of opinions in what you're interested in.

There is a diversity of opinions in the other forums - I'm not the only theist duking it out, and the interesting part is that some theists have also interestingly differing takes.

Yes there are some mocks and we end up getting all heated up - but trolling is really down. I don't see a thread getting trashed just because some people don't agree with the poster's view.

Edited by betsy

I'm curious. If a poster using another name, or even the same alias, makes a post on another forum, then copies it as a new topic onto MLW - is that considered plagiarism. In other words it's plagiarism to copy your own posts onto MLW?

it's plagiarism to copy your own posts onto MLW?

It is not plagiarism by definition, but it could be a copyright infringement. When you post to [some] public forums, you give up rights to your own work. I don't necessarily read and remember all the terms and conditions of every forum in which I may post something, and I doubt the 'management' of MLW do either. The safe practice is to not copy/paste, even your own work, and then there will be no claim on infringement. Additionally, if you do copy your own work, you should cite the original place where you 'published' it.

It is not plagiarism by definition, but it could be a copyright infringement. When you post to [some] public forums, you give up rights to your own work.

That's not the way copyright works. You always retain the rights to your work unless you explicitly sign those rights over.

In any case, this cross-posting rule is like hanging a picture frame with a sledgehammer. It's meant to curtail spam, specifically people who post ads or hop from forum to forum promoting themselves or some kind of agenda without any intention of contributing in a meaningful way to the discussions. The mods are probably just hung up on the appearance of "fairness," so they think it needs to be applied in every case where there's cross posting. Really all they need to do is look at the context and only apply the rule when someone is crapping up the forum with spam and self-promotion. The only other time this rule should really matter is when someone posts the same thing in multiple forums on this website alone. That's almost always the work of bots anyway.

I'm curious. If a poster using another name, or even the same alias, makes a post on another forum, then copies it as a new topic onto MLW - is that considered plagiarism. In other words it's plagiarism to copy your own posts onto MLW?

No, it's not plagiarism. It's understandable though that people who don't know that you're using another alias,

would suspect plagiarism.

I posted from my alias in that forum to say that I'm also betsy of Maple Leaf (and copy/pasted it here as proof).....just to clear the air.

The reason I ended up using tosca1 is because the name "betsy" is too common, and is usually taken already.

Edited by betsy

There is cross posting, which may not be so bad, but Betsy created two threads in different areas with the same overall topic.

Even if it is a duplicate post that is found on another forum, I don't see such a big deal with that person then posting the same thing here. As long as it is the poster that is doing it on both (or multiple) forums.

And with some of the replies, it's not worth creating a whole new worded post just to have people crap all over it, even though the crapping may be warranted.

There is cross posting, which may not be so bad, but Betsy created two threads in different areas with the same overall topic.

I created three topics that may be related, but not the same at all.

The NAS topic is an argument about creation - practically, it also touches on the existence of God.

The NAS thread does not identify, or refer to any particular God/god.

The James Tour thread is an argument against macro evolution.

God of the Bible is aimed at giving evidences to prove that the Abrahamic God of the Bible, is the Creator.

Edited by betsy

Speaking of similar topics and merging of topics that are allegedly the same......

Why would we not compartmentalize a huge subject? Just because we see the word God in a couple of topics does not mean the premise being presented are the same.

Do we think making one topic about God sums it all up? That there are no different angles?

That's another thing that limits discussion!

Of course we know why the threads that are meant to have differing premise end up devolving into the same old thing:

it's because of the same posters who enter and cross-post the same trolling comments!

Edited by betsy

Speaking of similar topics and merging of topics that are allegedly the same......

Why would we not compartmentalize a huge subject? Just because we see the word God in a couple of topics does not mean the premise being presented are the same.

The premise is the same when the root of all those threads are about creationism.

No, it's not plagiarism. It's understandable though that people who don't know that you're using another alias,

would suspect plagiarism.

I posted from my alias in that forum to say that I'm also betsy of Maple Leaf (and copy/pasted it here as proof).....just to clear the air.

The reason I ended up using tosca1 is because the name "betsy" is too common, and is usually taken already.

I don't believe it to be plagiarism of course, I was just curious about the reasoning here. I suspect someone here was trolling the net looking for something you've posted elsewhere then reported it.

Of course we know why the threads that are meant to have differing premise end up devolving into the same old thing:

I am good looking because I am rich

I am good looking because of my parents

I am good looking because I groom daily

You might claim these all have differing premises, but someone might argue they all have the premise that I am good looking as well.

Your threads are not devolving because you argue about creation, against macroevolution, who is the creator, but in all three cases your implicit premise is about creation (or intelligent design or whatever you term it).

Re: plagiarism

Many years ago, I was involved in the writing of a book. Was paid well and pleased with the result. A few years later, I gave a presentation in which I used some materials from the book - materials which I had created. I was "brought to task" by the publisher of the book and warned to "cease and desist" or I would be sued for plagiarism.

Once I got paid for the book I was no longer allowed to use any materials in it - without permission from the publisher.