A question on cross posting

betsy

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not participating in discussions - just reiterating what's ok and not ok here.

Not true.... You've participated in plenty of discussions.

I don't mind being corrected if what Betsy posted wasn't plagiarism.... but, IMO, she is confused about what plagiarism means.

You just have to ask whether a teacher would assign it an F if a student tried to hand it in as an original essay assignment.

Good analogy... I know that... you know that... Betsy has a different interpretation of plagiarism. I thought maybe a Mod could end this silly debate.

This is ridiculous. This is the last time I'm going to explain this:

There are several sites that carry the same statement(s) - verbatim or nearly so. Here are a couple of them:

About 40 different human authors contributed to the Bible, which was written over a period of about 1500 years. The authors were kings, fishermen, priests, government officials, farmers, shepherds, and doctors. From all this diversity comes an incredible unity, with common themes woven throughout. The Bible’s unity is due to the fact that, ultimately, it has one Author-God Himself. The Bible is “God-breathed” (2 Timothy 3:16). The human authors wrote exactly what God wanted them to write, and the result was the perfect and holy Word of God (Psalm 12:6; 2 Peter 1:21).

http://www.jv-seeker...hy_Believe.html

What is the Bible? - The Authors
About 40 different human authors contributed to the Bible, which was written over a period of about 1500 years. The authors were kings, fishermen, priests, government officials, farmers, shepherds, and doctors. From all this diversity comes an incredible unity, with common themes woven throughout.

The Bible’s unity is due to the fact that, ultimately, it has one Author—God Himself. The Bible is “God-breathed” (2 Timothy 3:16). The human authors wrote exactly what God wanted them to write, and the result was the perfect and holy Word of God (Psalm 12:6;2 Peter 1:21).

http://shushantsjourneyoffaith.blogspot.ca/2013/09/map-for-journey-bible.html

What is the Bible? - The Authors
About 40 different human authors contributed to the Bible, which was written over a period of about 1500 years. The authors were kings, fishermen, priests, government officials, farmers, shepherds, and doctors. From all this diversity comes an incredible unity, with common themes woven throughout.

The Bible’s unity is due to the fact that, ultimately, it has one Author—God Himself.
The Bible is “God-breathed” (
2 Timothy 3:16). The human authors wrote exactly what God wanted them to write, and the result was the perfect and holy Word of God (Psalm 12:6; 2 Peter 1:21).

http://www.gotquesti...-the-Bible.html

I assume that they'd been borrowed from this site, which published a GLOSSARY of CHRISTIAN TERMINOLOGY!

Glossary of Christian Terminology

Bible - a book consisting of 66 books on topics such as law, history, poetry, prophecy, biographies, and epistles (formal letters). About 40 different human authors contributed to the Bible, which was written over a period of about 1500 years. From all this diversity comes an incredible unity, with common themes woven throughout. The Bible's unity is due to the fact that, ultimately, it has one Author — God Himself.

The Bible is "God-breathed" (2 Timothy 3:16).

http://www.eastmainp...s/glossary.html

Why do these sites continue to post exact phrases and similar statements?

Why are they able to?

As it's been already explained (with support from sources), statement of facts or what is called, "common knowledge," is not plagiarism.

As a general rule, a fact can be said to be 'common knowledge' when:

• it is widely accessible - you may not know the total population of China, but you would be able to find the answer easily from numerous sources.
  • it is likely to be known by a lot of people
  • it can be found in a general reference resource, such as a dictionary or encyclopedia.

For example:
Pterosaurs were the flying reptiles of the dinosaur age

'Everyone' knows this, so no citation is needed.

http://www.admin.cam...nknowledge.html

This is what I've posted in my OP:

The Bible was written by fishermen, kings, government officials, priests, farmers, shepherds, and doctors.......and yet, from all this diversity comes an incredible unity, with common themes woven throughout. That unity is due to a single fact: it ultimately has One Author – God Himself.

It tells of paradise lost, and paradise regained.

It is not a copy/paste. Anyone who insists it is, is unbelievably dumb, and is a waste of my time.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Some phrases and principles are not considered a copyright infringement either:

Works Not Covered By Copyright

You may want to use or incorporate someone else's work into your own. While the works of others may be protected by copyright, there are a class of works that fall outside the scope of copyright law. The following categories of work are not eligible for copyright protection, regardless of when they were created and whether or not they bear a copyright notice.

http://www.dmlp.org/...vered-copyright

***I have to enlarge the font that they may not be overlooked.

Edited by betsy

This is ridiculous. This is the last time I'm going to explain this:

This is what I've posted in my OP:

The Bible was written by fishermen, kings, government officials, priests, farmers, shepherds, and doctors.......and yet, from all this diversity comes an incredible unity, with common themes woven throughout. That unity is due to a single fact: it ultimately has One Author – God Himself. It tells of paradise lost, and paradise regained.

It is not a copy/paste. Anyone who insists it is, is unbelievably dumb, and is a waste of my time.

you copied it from "somewhere" and you pasted into your MLW thread OP... and I insist upon that! :D

now it is a fact those many phrasings you present (as your own), do exist within other sources... but they are not statements of fact... they're statements of your religious faith. They're not common knowledge unless you limit the "common" to the confines of your religious faith.

your conscious decision is to present, unattributed, the writings of others as your own (whether or not your sources have properly attributed, in themselves).

Simply put, somebody must have written those phrases you highlight. What are the odds that such a creation could just keep reoccurring by itself? There must have been an original designer, and that person is who should be taking credit.

A monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare.

- Émile Borel?

• 3 weeks later...

The problem with cross-posting rules, for me at least, is that I have to decide whether to use an idea for a thread I have at three or four other forums in which I participate, or here. The choice, unfortunately, has become easy, because of the drumbeat of warnings and suspensions I receive. I don't blame CA or Greg for this. Sometimes long after I write a post, someone who disagrees with me on another topic weeks later will hit the "report" button or post that I'm "trolling" or "flaming." Then I'll get a warning or suspension that says "stop trolling."

CA and Greg are volunteers. They are performing their functions largely to enhance others' enjoyment so they don't have the time or resources to investigate whether I'm offending. I raise this issue in this forum because one particularly diligent poster googled "JBG" and one of my other handles and posted links to similar, but not identical posts. Thus, very little of my content comes here, courtesy of the rules.

The problem with cross-posting rules, for me at least, is that I have to decide whether to use an idea for a thread I have at three or four other forums in which I participate, or here. The choice, unfortunately, has become easy, because of the drumbeat of warnings and suspensions I receive. I don't blame CA or Greg for this. Sometimes long after I write a post, someone who disagrees with me on another topic weeks later will hit the "report" button or post that I'm "trolling" or "flaming." Then I'll get a warning or suspension that says "stop trolling."

You should use different names. There are some pretty obvious anti-semites here who will clearly take angry exception to anything you say and will be looking to shut you down any way they can. I don't use the argus moniker anywhere else. As far as the rules go while you can't post the exact same post in multiple places you can post the same topic and thoughts. You just have to re-write them.

Greg has not been an active moderator here for years, btw. It's Charles and Michael Hardner who are handing out warning points and suspensions. And yes, if they're being unreasonable it's perfectly fine to 'blame' them, or at least argue the point with them. I do give them credit for being volunteers, but not that much if they don't do the job right. I'd volunteer myself except the lefties here would run screaming into the night.

Edited by Argus

You should use different names. There are some pretty obvious anti-semites here who will clearly take angry exception to anything you say and will be looking to shut you down any way they can. I don't use the argus moniker anywhere else. As far as the rules go while you can't post the exact same post in multiple places you can post the same topic and thoughts. You just have to re-write them.

I don't like to be dishonest or conceal myself. Also, I was forced to do just that when I was banned (umteen times) on DailyKos. A poster here googled one of my posts here and found it on DailyKos or Rabble. I don't remember if I got a warning or suspension on that one.

Greg has not been an active moderator here for years, btw. It's Charles and Michael Hardner who are handing out warning points and suspensions. And yes, if they're being unreasonable it's perfectly fine to 'blame' them, or at least argue the point with them. I do give them credit for being volunteers, but not that much if they don't do the job right. I'd volunteer myself except the lefties here would run screaming into the night.

I always respect volunteer efforts. All one has to do is read Democracy in America to learn that the foundation of our country is volunteer efforts. My synagogue is another example. There is a husband and wife team that does much that they don't have to do to keep the synagogue running. While I thoroughly dislike the husband (a rupture of a close childhood friendship) and my wife thoroughly dislike his wife (she is a snob) I have to give them credit for helping make our 1200 family synagogue (probably about 2800 people) run well.

I'll give some personal disclosure. In sixth grade I was on a "Dad's Club" baseball league. The regular coach had to leave and my natural father (who died about four years later) substituted for the coach. Overall my father was well-liked, though I was not at the time. When he replaced the pitcher with someone else (not me) three or four ungrateful snot-nosed kids started booing him. He walked off the field, ending the game. My father explained that I must never be ungrateful when someone sticks their neck out to help.

Edited by jbg