Fort McMurray wildfire

No, the government is rewarding those who were/are not prudent.

Pragmatically I agree we must help these idiots.

But it bothers me that we must help them because they are idiots.

Are they idiots? If you know the government will bail you out if you don't have insurance, why pay for the insurance? Maybe it's the people paying for insurance when they could just get implicit government insurance for free that are the idiots?

Are they idiots? If you know the government will bail you out if you don't have insurance, why pay for the insurance?

Do welfare/disability/EI include an allowance for insurance?

I doubt it.

Are minimum wage workers from Fort Mac still being paid while evacuated?

I doubt it.

No one in any of those groups can afford insurance.

Insurance is a luxury not affordable to vulnerable people and precarious workers.

To pretend otherwise is naive &/or uninformed, and mean-spirited.

Maybe it's the people paying for insurance when they could just get implicit government insurance for free that are the idiots?

The government is not going to replace your house or contents.

You might get enough for a few changes of clothes a few beds for your kids, a few dishes and pots from the Sally Ann.

Think you can manage from there?

I wouldn't go cancelling your insurance just yet.

The government isn't replacing what you had.

Edited by jacee

Who owns, operates, makes a living from, consumes the products and services of those corporations?

Oh, right, humans.

Yup, that's the point isn't it?

We have to stop the cycle of destruction.

Attack both consumption and production.

Edited by jacee

Infected with pine beetle?

That's a good question. My brief look at the maps for pine beetle infestation don't show them in the Fort McMurray area. Not sure if they updated maps showing them in the area makes any difference though since this recent study claims that areas affected by pine beetle infestations don't show more intense forest fires, in fact they may actually reduce the severity:

Pine beetle infestations reduce wildfire severity, study suggests

It's been feared that the many millions of dead trees left in the wake of pine beetles infestations would lead to more severe wildfires, but new research suggests that is not the case.

A study that examined more than 80 fires over the last 25 years in the Pacific Northwest region of the U.S. concluded that pine beetle and western spruce budworm infestations did not increase the severity of wildfires, but actually decreased the intensity.

"In general forests that had insect damage had a lower level of burn severity," said Garrett Meigs, the lead author in the study led by the University of Vermont.

Edited by Accountability Now

Is Justin Trudeau doing anything to help end the fires? Reports are it could double in size and head for Saskatchewan. Is he doing anything other than photo ops? Is he coordinating with other provinces, states and countries to help? I don't see any urgency in the Justin Trudeau government at all.

You want him to put on the gear, grab a hose and put the fire out himself?

Trudeau was just at an evacuation centre. I wonder what complaints can be thought up next?

Did he flip pancakes??? No???? What kind of PM doesn't flip some flapjacks for the starving children of oil workers???

Did he flip pancakes??? No???? What kind of PM doesn't flip some flapjacks for the starving children of oil workers???

I actually forgot - we've moved onto complaining about his wife, that entitled.....

I know - he robbed you of the ability to complain about him being there for a photo op.

That is an excellent strawman smallC. Well done!

Now by your logic, Trudeau should avoid doing anything important if it means people will criticize him for selfies.

With that said, I've actually supported one of his 'selfie' moments when they were done for important reasons.

I do know a lot about fighting fires (thought not all that much about wildfires). Help isn't always welcome when it doesn't have proper training.

Right. Because the help from the United States would be untrained? Oh well, Justin must have his reason and we must not question them.

Justin actually has pretty much nothing at all to do with the fighting of wildfires. Neither does Goodale. It was and is coordinated and acted upon by the province, and in this case with the local authority of Wood Buffalo.

But they would be delighted to realize that some people have bought that BS, which they have been peddling from Day 1 of this fire.

Right. Because the help from the United States would be untrained?

Not necessarily in boreal forrest fire fighting, no. The help wasn't needed and wouldn't have been helpful. You would have heard some complaints by now if that weren't the case.

Not necessarily in boreal forrest fire fighting, no.

Yeah, because there is no boreal forest in Alaska, and no forest fires there, and no shared American/Canadian firefighters resources in both countries, and no U.S. satellite imaging that Canada ever uses to detect and manage wildfires.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Yeah, because there is no boreal forest in Alaska, and no forest fires there, and no U.S. satellite imaging that Canada ever uses to detect and manage wildfires.

It really depends what help they have available to send. Right now, there are Two US National Forrest Service air tankers in Manitoba helping with a fire (along with two water bombers from Northwest Territories). Sometimes, assistance is useful, and sometimes it isn't. We don't know what was available or being offered - that's kind of the point.

It really depends what help they have available to send. Right now, there are Two US National Forrest Service air tankers in Manitoba helping with a fire (along with two water bombers from Northwest Territories). Sometimes, assistance is useful, and sometimes it isn't. We don't know what was available or being offered - that's kind of the point.

No, I believe you as the stated expert...the U.S. in untrained and not very helpful in this or many other instances. All the USA has is that dumb Smokey Bear ad campaign.

No, I believe you as the stated expert...the U.S. in untrained and not very helpful in this or many other instances. All the USA has is that dumb Smokey Bear ad campaign.

Your feelings are hurt far too easily.