Fort McMurray wildfire

New person here! :D

I am one of the ones who lost a home in Fort Mac (in Beacon Hill). I did not have to evacuate, as I was working in Edmonton that day.

My ex was there and called at noon that day to say everything was okay. He was working in the Emergency Operations Center keeping an eye on the fires. Then at 2:30 pm, I got called out of a meeting with a phone call from him, crying on the side of the highway because the police would not let him go back to the house to get our dog. The fire was only a few feet from our house by then, so thank you to the policeman who kept him from going back. By 9 pm there was nothing left of my house except a smoldering hole. I know for a fact that there were no "eyes on the ground" that day, so no one knew Beacon Hill was burning until homes were already on fire. This could have been so, so much worse.

Our insurance company has been pretty good, although they will only cover a portion of the home's contents. So thank you to everyone who has donated items or money. Not everyone is "rich" in Fort Mac.

The mortgage on the house was $1400/mth and now my ex pays that, plus $2200 for a tiny basement suite. Hardly a day goes by that I don't remember something dear or important or that I need that was lost in the fire.

I enjoyed reading this thread. And now I have 1 post under my belt. :D

New person here! :D

I am one of the ones who lost a home in Fort Mac (in Beacon Hill). I did not have to evacuate, as I was working in Edmonton that day.

My ex was there and called at noon that day to say everything was okay. He was working in the Emergency Operations Center keeping an eye on the fires. Then at 2:30 pm, I got called out of a meeting with a phone call from him, crying on the side of the highway because the police would not let him go back to the house to get our dog. The fire was only a few feet from our house by then, so thank you to the policeman who kept him from going back. By 9 pm there was nothing left of my house except a smoldering hole. I know for a fact that there were no "eyes on the ground" that day, so no one knew Beacon Hill was burning until homes were already on fire. This could have been so, so much worse.

Our insurance company has been pretty good, although they will only cover a portion of the home's contents. So thank you to everyone who has donated items or money. Not everyone is "rich" in Fort Mac.

The mortgage on the house was $1400/mth and now my ex pays that, plus $2200 for a tiny basement suite. Hardly a day goes by that I don't remember something dear or important or that I need that was lost in the fire.

I enjoyed reading this thread. And now I have 1 post under my belt. :D

First, I am so sorry for your loss - it must be devastating. I'm glad the insurance company is at least partially coming through.

Second, welcome to the forums. I look forward to learning more about you.

I had dinner last night with a couple from Fort Mac.

They lost their home in the fire and found a place to rent. They confirmed that there was a brief window on the first day when the fire might have been contained,

Was that their expert opinion?

Was that their expert opinion?

Yep. One is an expert, a fire safety officer for one of the plants. The other is in real estate. They live(d) very close to where it started. Neither blames fire crews, once the wind got the fire, as usual it was out of control and grew exponentially.

Yep. One is an expert, a fire safety officer for one of the plants. The other is in real estate. They live(d) very close to where it started. Neither blames fire crews, once the wind got the fire, as usual it was out of control and grew exponentially.

Sorry, I thought you were one of the people blaming the commanders on the ground for their inaction.