300,000 more refugees coming to Canada.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reports said all are going to food banks. The liberals blew this big time trying to get votes while tugging on the heart strings. The evil conservatives were right in their approach. Slower and more careful. I also read many want to go back home.

Edited by PIK

I'm asking you to link to them for me. I they're linked to earlier, point me in that direction.

I know I'm shocked they aren't working, even though they speak no English and have no job skills. Shocked.

Virtually all the 1,121 Syrian refugees in Ottawa who were sponsored by the Canadian government appear to be relying on food banks.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/syrian-refugees-and-food-banks

Edited by Argus

Government-sponsored families typically subsist on about $1,500 a month, and some are not yet receiving the Canada Child Tax Benefits that would supplement their income. Their rents are often in the $1,200 range. “They’re really tight for money,” says Nicholson.

Can they even work at this point, legally?

The Chinese invasion is here.

They literally bought about half of the stores in the local village in one grab. Then they opened a courier service between China and Canada on the corner, while the local houses are getting bought up left right and center.

Its too bad our society is like the Panda.

Edited by G Huxley

Government-sponsored families typically subsist on about $1,500 a month, and some are not yet receiving the Canada Child Tax Benefits that would supplement their income. Their rents are often in the $1,200 range. “They’re really tight for money,” says Nicholson.

Can they even work at this point, legally?

Not sure about that but the privately sponsored refugees are doing better than gov't sponsored, usually.

This is one about a privately sponsored refugee family which surprises me, the sponsor warned them they couldn't financially support her. Okay, the sponsor is now unemployed so his status changed, the sponsors now need the food bank too.

The gov't really needs to rethink bringing in thousands more until the current groups is settled and working. Not to mention housing is a problem now, not just for refugees but for all people looking for cheaper accommodation in a big city. There just isn't any left...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/syrian-refugees-food-banks-1.3562887

"When we come here, we didn't expect we get any kind of help, and, unfortunately, that was the ugly truth," she said. "So, we are alone, and we struggle still."

Demand for food banks increasing

Asoyan's family is among the increasing number of Syrian refugees seeking help at the Scott Mission and other food banks across the country.

The gov't really needs to rethink bringing in thousands more until the current groups is settled and working. Not to mention housing is a problem now, not just for refugees but for all people looking for cheaper accommodation in a big city. There just isn't any left...

They're not bringing in any more government sponsored refugees - or very few.

The Chinese invasion is here.

They literally bought about half of the stores in the local village in one grab. Then they opened a courier service between China and Canada on the corner, while the local houses are getting bought up left right and center.

Its too bad our society is like the Panda.

Well, I agree that they're fuelling the crisis, but I think there is more to it. People are panic buying because at this rate they'll be bought out in 6 months. These are locals maxing out their credit and promising their first born. Also, there are flippers, speculators, may different type of investors who are the culprits of the housing crisis.

A friend of mine pointed out that our immigrant generation (like my parents who arrived in 80's) also spiked the housing market for that generation, but I don't think it's a fair comparison. We stayed, worked, paid taxes and made it out home.

It's not the same as those aboard paying nothing into the system while the people here get nothing.

(This topic really needs to have its own thread.)

Well, I agree that they're fuelling the crisis, but I think there is more to it. People are panic buying because at this rate they'll be bought out in 6 months. These are locals maxing out their credit and promising their first born. Also, there are flippers, speculators, may different type of investors who are the culprits of the housing crisis.

A friend of mine pointed out that our immigrant generation (like my parents who arrived in 80's) also spiked the housing market for that generation, but I don't think it's a fair comparison. We stayed, worked, paid taxes and made it out home.

It's not the same as those aboard paying nothing into the system while the people here get nothing.

(This topic really needs to have its own thread.)

Ultimately the end result is the same: overpopulation and further destruction to the environment. I respect you and your parents, like my own ancestors they once migrated to Canada, but there comes a point when those who live in Canada should put their feet down and protect Canada for what it is worth. That means putting a stop to immigration. There are over a billion people in China. Maybe they should reduce their own population and attempt to return its nature somewhat back on the right lines then to spread even more and destroy more nature.

Ultimately the end result is the same: overpopulation and further destruction to the environment. I respect you and your parents, like my own ancestors they once migrated to Canada, but there comes a point when those who live in Canada should put their feet down and protect Canada for what it is worth. That means putting a stop to immigration. There are over a billion people in China. Maybe they should reduce their own population and attempt to return its nature somewhat back on the right lines then to spread even more and destroy more nature.

Without immigration, our population would go down. With all the baby boomers retiring, even 300K immigrants is not enough to help replace all those going into retirement and vacating their jobs.

Without immigration, our population would go down. With all the baby boomers retiring, even 300K immigrants is not enough to help replace all those going into retirement and vacating their jobs.

That is a fiction, a fantasy. The only way to sustain our population growth through immigration is to basically replace our existing population base with foreigners. Canada, as we know it, will cease to exist at that point.

And even that leaves aside the fact most of those coming here are not going to be paying much, if any taxes because of poor education, job and language skills.

We're not 'foreigners' we're Canadian.

If you take the position that a Canadian is simply anyone who lives here, then sure. But if you move millions more foreigners here to join the millions already here, so that Canadian born children are minorities in their own schools (which in many places they already are) then what kind of a Canada will it be? What kind of culture and beliefs and values will it hold? Not those of today. It will be called Canada but bear no resemblance to the Canada we know. It will take on the culture and values of the newcomers, who are largely coming from the middle east and asia.

Edited by Argus

If you take the position that a Canadian is simply anyone who lives here, then sure. But if you move millions more foreigners here to join the millions already here, so that Canadian born children are minorities in their own classes (which in many places they already are) then what kind of a Canada will it be? What kind of culture and beliefs and values will it hold? Not those of today. It will be called Canada but bear no resemblance to the Canada we know.

I hold the idea that we're only 'foreigners' temporarily and then we become Canadian. I know there is a lot you don't like about the cultural differences between black and brown Canadians, but the reality is we consider ourselves just as Canadian as anyone else - even if you don't.

I hold the idea that we're only 'foreigners' temporarily and then we become Canadian. I know there is a lot you don't like about the cultural differences between black and brown Canadians, but the reality is we consider ourselves just as Canadian as anyone else - even if you don't.

There are certain Canadian ideals which many, if not most of the newcomers disdain, ideals like equality, for example, tolerance and religious freedom.

All of the most virulently racist, bigoted and misogynistic people I've met in my life have been newcomers to Canada. As a group, I would say that newcomers are antisemites, bigots, racists, believe women must do as they are told and dress as they think proper, and have very little commitment to freedoms that Canada cherishes other than as they affect them personally. That is, they're all for freedom of speech when it's THEIR speech, but all for suppressing anything which offends them. They are all for their own religious freedom, but deeply offended by the religions of others whose beliefs offend their own.

This is entirely in keeping with the culture and values of the lands which gave them birth, so of course, those are the sentiments they bring here.

Edited by Argus

There are certain Canadian ideals which many, if not most of the newcomers disdain, ideals like equality, for example, tolerance and religious freedom.

All of the most virulently racist, bigoted and misogynistic people I've met in my life have been newcomers to Canada. As a group, I would say that newcomers are antisemites, bigots, racists, believe women must do as they are told and dress as they think proper, and have very little commitment to freedoms that Canada cherishes other than as they affect them personally. That is, they're all for freedom of speech when it's THEIR speech, but all for suppressing anything which offends them. They are all for their own religious freedom, but deeply offended by the religions of others whose beliefs offend their own.

This is entirely in keeping with the culture and values of the lands which gave them birth, so of course, those are the sentiments they bring here.

Well fair enough. You won't find me defending misogynistic cultural views, but having had a very different experience than you, I'd say most of the people I've met from the different cultures of the world are Canadian-value friendly and seem to be doing ok. Second-generations especially.

Having said that, I still fault your choice of words by saying Canada is filling up with 'foreigners'. We came here or our parents did, just like yours did and we love this country just as much as you do.

We're not foreigners.

Well fair enough. You won't find me defending misogynistic cultural views, but having had a very different experience than you, I'd say most of the people I've met from the different cultures of the world are Canadian-value friendly and seem to be doing ok.

Your mileage may and probably will vary. I will say that misogynists who think all Canadian woman are whores aren't as likely to express their opinions on the subject to a woman as to a man, and that west coast immigrants tend to be less from Africa, the Caribbean and the Middle east than those we get here in Central Canada.

Having said that, I still fault your choice of words by saying Canada is filling up with 'foreigners'

If I move to China tomorrow am I really Chinese? I doubt I'd ever be really Chinese. I doubt I'd ever understand the culture and the language the way those who were born and grow up there do. Why do you think people can get off a plane from China or India and be Canadians a few months later? Do you think all the values and prejudices they grew up with are simply shrugged off in a short time so they can take on what Canada believes is appropriate? My next door neighbor is a second generation immigrant and he still treats his wife like a possession, never to be allowed to make important decisions, and never to be introduced to anyone outside the family. She's a baby machine and housekeeper.

Edited by Argus

First, Canada is not China, it's a country of immigrants.

Second, given your age, maybe not you personally, but if you moved there as a youngish adult and spent decades there and felt no longer connected to Canada, then yes, I would consider you Chinese.

Not Chinese as an ethnicity, but culturally.

If your kid was born in China and spent his/her whole life there, for sure they'd be Chinese even though dad is Canadian.