300,000 more refugees coming to Canada.

Well fair enough. You won't find me defending misogynistic cultural views, but having had a very different experience than you, I'd say most of the people I've met from the different cultures of the world are Canadian-value friendly and seem to be doing ok. Second-generations especially.

Having said that, I still fault your choice of words by saying Canada is filling up with 'foreigners'. We came here or our parents did, just like yours did and we love this country just as much as you do.

We're not foreigners.

Parents born here. Grandparents born here...etc.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a fiction, a fantasy.

It actually is not. The simple fact that we need immigration is supported by all levels of government. It was also supported by the previous government.

Here is the latest from Quebec:

Low Quebec Birthrate, Aging Population Spur Calls for Increased Immigration

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/05/08/quebec-birthrate-immigration_n_9864642.html

You can try to fight the reality of the situation with your bigoted views of immigrants that are already working in our hospitals, schools, police departments, banks and law firms, but it won't change the fact that we need to increase our immigration numbers in order to sustain ourselves.

Edited by marcus

Nice! So tell me, how many generations are 'enough' to be a Canadian?

My point: your parents came here.

Mine did not. Nor did their grandparents, etc. What you read into that is up to YOU.

My point: your parents came here.

Mine did not. Nor did their grandparents, etc. What you read into that is up to YOU.

Oh did I read into something when you were merely posting drivel? My bad, this is a forum. Most people have a point when saying something.

Oh did I read into something when you were merely posting drivel? My bad, this is a forum. Most people have a point when saying something.

You: "We came here or our parents did, just like yours did and we love this country just as much as you do."

I'm saying the above statement is incorrect. My parents DID NOT COME HERE.

First, Canada is not China, it's a country of immigrants.

What exactly does that mean? Canada has no culture or native values or traditions which are of any interest to you?

Second, given your age, maybe not you personally, but if you moved there as a youngish adult and spent decades there and felt no longer connected to Canada, then yes, I would consider you Chinese.

And how many immigrants come here and feel no further connection to their homelands? None that I know. The guy next door was sent home when he hit marriageable age to get a proper Muslim wife, for example. Many, many others visit home regularly. He's going home this summer and taking his kids with him so they too feel the proper connection with the homeland.

If your kid was born in China and spent his/her whole life there, for sure they'd be Chinese even though dad is Canadian.

Maybe, depending on whether dad raised him to believe that Canada's culture was the one he should consider his own, and that lots of things the Chinese did were dumb and immoral.

You: "We came here or our parents did, just like yours did and we love this country just as much as you do."

I'm saying the above statement is incorrect. My parents DID NOT COME HERE.

My bad, I should have said "you came here, or your parents, or your grand-parents, or great-grand-parents, or great-great grandparents, or great-great-great grand parents or your great-great-great-great grandparents"....

I was trying to keep things simple, but my *point* (see what I did there) was the old adage about the only people who are not immigrants in this country here are First Nations.

Nice! So tell me, how many generations are 'enough' to be a Canadian?

Sometimes those born to immigrants are as Canadian as anyone born to 'old stock' Canadians.

But if their parents cling to old world values, especially reinforced by old-world religions, and reinforce that in their children as they are brought up with multiple visits to family "back home" then maybe not.

My bad, I should have said "you came here, or your parents, or your grand-parents, or great-grand-parents, or great-great grandparents, or great-great-great grand parents or your great-great-great-great grandparents"....

I was trying to keep things simple, but my *point* (see what I did there) was the old adage about the only people who are not immigrants in this country here are First Nations.

I'm part native.

Speaking of first nations, virtually all the immigrants I have discussed politics with do not like natives, think we are insane to keep paying "these lazy people" money, and would, if they could, cut them off completely, letting them either come to the cities to work or starve to death (and they don't care which).

Speaking of first nations, virtually all the immigrants I have discussed politics with do not like natives, think we are insane to keep paying "these lazy people" money, and would, if they could, cut them off completely, letting them either come to the cities to work or starve to death (and they don't care which).

Oh goodness yes. The Red Chinese in particular.

And how many immigrants come here and feel no further connection to their homelands? None that I know. The guy next door was sent home when he hit marriageable age to get a proper Muslim wife, for example. Many, many others visit home regularly. He's going home this summer and taking his kids with him so they too feel the proper connection with the homeland.

Incredible. The experiences that have shaped my views have been very different.

To give you an example, we were out with a group of friends recently, 4 couples in total. My husband was the only old-stock Canadian and the rest of us varied from second-generation to newly arrived.

Except for one couple, we were all inter-cultural. We had a traditional Canadian dish (sushi), and talked about our jobs and families.

Except for the one newly-arrived who visited her mom a few years ago, none of us even visit the 'homeland'. My husband and I talk about visiting mine one day, but in reality it'll probably never happen.

I guess we just see what we want to see in life because I don't meet the kind of folks you do and apparently you don't meet the ones like me.

Sometimes those born to immigrants are as Canadian as anyone born to 'old stock' Canadians.

But if their parents cling to old world values, especially reinforced by old-world religions, and reinforce that in their children as they are brought up with multiple visits to family "back home" then maybe not.

I totally agree with this. I had awesome parents who never did anything like that.

I guess that's why I have such a different view of immigrants than you. I see most of us as pretty Canadian-value friendly.

Without immigration, our population would go down. With all the baby boomers retiring, even 300K immigrants is not enough to help replace all those going into retirement and vacating their jobs.

It has been common knowledge for years that Canada's fertility rate was below 2.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/11-630-x/11-630-x2014002-eng.htm

Despite some fluctuations, the total fertility rate in Canada has been below the replacement level for over 40 years. In fact, 1971 was the last year the replacement-level fertility of 2.1 children per woman was reached—meaning that couples, on average, had produced enough children to replace themselves.

In 2011, the total fertility rate was 1.61 children per woman, up slightly from the record low of 1.51 about a decade earlier.

Fertility patterns—specifically the number of children born and the average age at childbearing—affect the dynamics of population growth and the age structure of Canadian society, as well as family formation and household composition.

I'm part native.

When I talked about my lineage, it was in the context of the point I was trying to make about immigrants. I'm not sure what your point is here or if you even have one, but if you do, please come out with it.

If you do NOT have a point, please consider the purpose of this site and remember that presumed grownups here may mistake your random posts as an attempt to contribute to the discussion when they're not.

Edited by BC_chick

There are certain Canadian ideals which many, if not most of the newcomers disdain, ideals like equality, for example, tolerance and religious freedom.

You are so utterly lacking reflexivity that you've become a punchline to your own posts. This is hilariously rich coming from one of the least tolerant and least respectful of equality and religious freedom that there is on this forum.

Without immigration, our population would go down. With all the baby boomers retiring, even 300K immigrants is not enough to help replace all those going into retirement and vacating their jobs.

We need the population to decrease to help recover the environment.

Even First Nations were immigrants at one point, but in my opinion they should be in charge of immigration. (immigration would one would think thus greatly decrease)

First, Canada is not China, it's a country of immigrants.

Second, given your age, maybe not you personally, but if you moved there as a youngish adult and spent decades there and felt no longer connected to Canada, then yes, I would consider you Chinese.

Not Chinese as an ethnicity, but culturally.

If your kid was born in China and spent his/her whole life there, for sure they'd be Chinese even though dad is Canadian.

"First, Canada is not China, it's a country of immigrants."

China is also a country of immigrants in that it fills the world with its immigrants.

The Chinese government is very happy with Chinese people doing that. China wants to seek its liebensraume just like it did in Tibet and in the Uyghur Autonomous Region and in outer Mongolia. China is an empire.

"Second, given your age, maybe not you personally, but if you moved there as a youngish adult and spent decades there and felt no longer connected to Canada, then yes, I would consider you Chinese."

I wouldn't and neither would the Chinese.

Edited by G Huxley