Nancy Reagan dead at 94 (let's try this again...)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK...I'm impressed as hell that even in death, a tiny Nancy Reagan still has that kind of power...in Canada ! It's amazing.....

What's the big deal?

There are lots of people I like and dislike in life and death.

Am I supposed to self censor because I'm Canadian?

Nancy Reagan ? You must have a very long list....hopefully they will die in time for you to voice your opinion of them too.

Says the "American" obsessed with all things Trudeau, past and present...

Yes! As long as you provide an audience for me I'll be there for you!

I guess that's really what's happening here. The USA has come through for you yet again...another chapter in a story that is always available from media south of the border. It fills a gaping void.

Here is a photo of Nancy Reagan at age 92, her health failing, so on topic. Hate away....

Nancy%20Reagan-20130222-26.jpg

You are admittedly trolling in the attempt to test to see if others will ignore said trolling.

And, i'm not saying you're trolling - you are!

No I'm proving Charle's point: to Derek I'm a troll because he disagrees with me.

To another person I'm not a troll because I'm being humourous and all I'm basically saying is that I don't/didn't like her.

As in what's the big deal?

Edited by msj

I guess that's really what's happening here. The USA has come through for you yet again...another chapter in a story that is always available from media south of the border. It fills a gaping void.

Here is a photo of Nancy Reagan at age 92, her health failing, so on topic. Hate away.]

So, I shall put you into the camp for only saying nice things about the newly departed then!

Should I add a poll?

Would the results differ if this thread was about Ted Kennedy at his demise versus now with Nancy Reagan?

Yes, these are serious questions.

Edited by msj

So, I shall put you into the camp for only saying nice things about the newly departed then!

No, say whatever you like within forum rules. If it's dead American first ladies that's your thing, so be it.

How is Michelle Obama doing ? Good or bad first lady policies impacting life in Canada ?

No, say whatever you like within forum rules. If it's dead American first ladies that's your thing, so be it.

How is Michelle Obama doing ? Good or bad first lady policies impacting life in Canada ?

Like Tipper, you're gonna have to wait for my opinion.

Or start a new thread about that and see what comes up.

Like Tipper, you're gonna have to wait for my opinion.

Or start a new thread about that and see what comes up.

No, I think we're still on topic. How is it that first ladies whispering sweet nothings into the prez's ear on public policy invite such interest and angst in another country. It doesn't make any sense....not that is has to.

To Derek, et al... sorry, I didn't catch what you said in your sea of hypcrisy:

After the 28-year-old son bade farewell — “Je t’aime, papa” — and wiped his eyes with a handkerchief, he walked to the flag-draped coffin, leaned into it and closed his eyes.

Millions of Canadians shared the moment. The nationally televised coverage of the funeral capped a remarkable week of public sorrow at Pierre Trudeau’s death. In life, he had been a polarizing figure; in death, he was transformed into a political legend.

Thousands of kilometres to the west, in Calgary, another man was determined not to let the “myths” surrounding Trudeau’s legacy take root.

Stephen Harper, then the 41-year-old president of the National Citizens Coalition (NCC), was a proud conservative who had spent three years as a Reform MP. He had entered politics in the mid-1980s, in part because of his disdain for how Pierre Trudeau’s “Just Society” had changed Canada.

So while others were celebrating Trudeau’s legacy, Harper hammered out a newspaper article eviscerating the former prime minister on everything from policy to personality.

Harper blasted Trudeau Sr. for creating “huge deficits, a mammoth national debt, high taxes, bloated bureaucracy, rising unemployment, record inflation, curtailed trade and declining competitiveness.”

On national unity, he wrote that Trudeau was a failure. “Only a bastardized version of his unity vision remains and his other policies have been rejected and repealed by even his own Liberal party.”

Trudeau had merely “embraced the fashionable causes of his time,” wrote Harper.

Getting personal, he took a jab at Trudeau over not joining the military during the Second World War: “He was also a member of the ‘greatest generation,’ the one that defeated the Nazis in war and resolutely stood down the Soviets in the decades that followed. In those battles however, the ones that truly defined his century, Mr. Trudeau took a pass.”

The article was published in the National Post Oct. 5, 2000 — two days after the funeral.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/the-trudeau-complex-how-harpers-attacks-on-liberal-dynasty-could-be-a-double-edged-sword

Edited by BC_chick

Nancy Reagan also supported embryo stem cell research, challenging the conservative stance in the USA:

"And now," she said in a speech on May 8, "science has presented us with a hope called stem cell research, which may provide our scientists with answers that have so long been beyond our grasp. I just don't see how we can turn our backs on this."

"Nancy Reagan has been using the Reagan name to promote the cause of embryo stem cell research," said Nigel Cameron, president of the Institute on Biotechnology and the Human Future. "Everyone knows President Reagan would never have supported that."

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=131708&page=1

Another reason to be hated in Canada.

No, for PET, other people's sex lives were nobody's business, remember... :)

That's not true...his son is going to recommend a posthumous pardon for a Canadian who was imprisoned just for being gay. Pierre Trudeau could have done that in 1969.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/man-imprisoned-for-being-gay-to-get-posthumous-pardon-from-trudeau-1.3468287

Nancy Reagan never would have locked him up in the first place.

I find it generally acceptable to not mourn the death of someone who has lived 14 years longer than their life expectancy - one celebrates the opportunity she had to get in those extra years. It appears that she was not in pain so it was time and went well.

I do remember her referred as the Dragon Lady in the memoirs of different Reagan White House staffers. I believe that she loved Ronald very much and protected his back. I also believe that she had far too much power as an un-elected consultant especially near the end of Ron's term as his mental ability was obviously waning and she was speaking for him and affecting major decisions coming from the White House.

I also believe that she had far too much power as an un-elected consultant especially near the end of Ron's term as his mental ability was obviously waning and she was speaking for him and affecting major decisions coming from the White House.

I agree, kinda like Hillary when Bill was president. Anyone remember her "WE are the president" comments?

I agree, kinda like Hillary when Bill was president. Anyone remember her "WE are the president" comments?

I do not necessarily disagree with the spouse advising the president since I have no doubt that the spouses were smarter than their husbands. But with Ron deteriorating and Nancy looking to Astrology for answers, I do not think that the USA was being well served.

Oh. My. God!

This is a thread about Nancy Reagan who died! Quit hijacking it by bringing up Sophie Gregoire-Trudeau.

[Major meltdown]

Umm, wasn't it you who hijacked the thread about her passing by talking about her policies? Ohhhh never mind...

[minor meltdown]

Yeah, I have no doubt that Sophie is a lot smarter than Justin too! Amazing isn't it?

Generally wives are more intelligent than husbands so nothing amazing at all.

My wife is very intelligent; after all, she married me.

Tributes to Nancy Reagan are flooding in....I forgot about the famous Beach Boys concert incident:

Beach Boys co-founder Brian Wilson

Sad to hear Nancy Reagan passed away. She stood up for us in 1984 when we were banned from playing July 4 D.C. Show.

Ended up being great.

(750,000 people attended the concert.)

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35740428

Edited by bush_cheney2004