Nancy Reagan dead at 94 (let's try this again...)

So the old lady is gone.

Some of my personal memories:

She is the first First Lady I have memories of. Perhaps because she showed up on "Different Strokes" which is a show I vaguely remember from my childhood.

I thought her "Just say no" campaign was lame then and still think it's lame now.

I disagree with most of her politics.

She liked to consult astrologists which is weird but then lots of people claim to believe in a virgin birth for their saviour so who am I to call this crazy?

She was terrible when it came to AIDS.

As Christopher Hitchens said of Jerry Falwell: if you gave him an enema you could bury him in a matchbox.

This applies to all high mucky mucks and politicians and their relatives, I'm sure.

I prefer "the good die young."

94 is a ripe old age for a woman born in 1921.

But enough of my horrible mean things to say: what are your memories?

And should we only say nice things about the dead even though we don't mean them?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One important distinction that I think people lost sight of in the last thread is that attacking someone's policies or beliefs is not the same as attacking the person. It is possible to feel sad that an iconic figure has died while at the same time still feeling that their views were wrong.

For me, Nancy Reagan was out of the public eye by the time I was old enough to pay attention to such things, and I don't have any particular feelings on her passing.

-k

I agree Kimmy and BCC.

But I'm willing to be the douchebag on this issue ( and I assume I can call myself a douchebag without getting banned) because I don't think NR was a very nice lady.

This goes beyond have a difference of opinion with her beliefs or ideas: the good truly do die young in this case.....

I also disagree with those who say that we can't say mean things about the newly departed: Bull poop.

Edited by msj

MSJ, you have a way better memory than me.

I was about 8 when she became First Lady.

I have better memories of Brian Mulroney winning the Progressive Conservative leadership a couple of years later: the start of my interest in politics was watching that leadership contest.

Now there's a man who could be buried in a matchbox!

On a more positive note:

...In a statement Sunday, the former Canadian prime minister praised the Reagans as “good friends of Canada.” He added: “I will always remember our wives together at Ottawa Airport, and President Reagan saying to me: ‘You know, Brian, for a couple of Irishmen, we sure married up.' "

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/nancy-reagan-had-more-power-than-people-realize-former-pm-mulroney/article29044790/

Wow...who knew that the death of one old American "first lady" would cause such a spasm in Canada. I wonder what happened when her husband died in 2004....riots in the streets ?

NR provided moderate policies within the Republican government. I don't get the hostility towards her policies

I was about 8 when she became First Lady.

I have better memories of Brian Mulroney winning the Progressive Conservative leadership a couple of years later: the start of my interest in politics was watching that leadership contest.

Now there's a man who could be buried in a matchbox!

I was nine. During my teen years we mocked the Just Say No campaign just about every time we did something bad.

With Mulroney was GST. Stands for Good Sex Tonight. Your chances of getting it are about 7%.

Ahhh, I see what you did there!

Good, I see what you did with this thread.........

As Christopher Hitchens said of Jerry Falwell: if you gave him an enema you could bury him in a matchbox.

This applies to all high mucky mucks and politicians and their relatives, I'm sure.

I prefer "the good die young."

94 is a ripe old age for a woman born in 1921.

Glib passive aggressiveness on the internet..........too much of a chickenshit to even put on the nose of an internet clown or "tough-guy".........does inflaming others over the passing of a little old lady compensate for something in your own life?

Though I don't agree with Shady's attack, I'll give him credit, he let us know what he really felt.........you're just an asshole.

As Nancy Reagan was virtually synonymous with the phrase "Just Say No", I think discussion of the merit (or lack thereof) of that policy is an entirely reasonable topic for a thread on her passing. Likewise her contribution (or lack thereof) to the AIDS crisis of the early 1980s.

I also gather she was into astrology bigtime?

-k

Thinking on this a bit, why the hell would Nancy Reagan's "policies" in the United States matter to Canadians, at the time (1980's) and today ?

What were the equivalent "policies" in Canada at the time, and did they clash with Canada's "policies" on sex and drugs to the point of cross border hatred ?

Thinking on this a bit, why the hell would Nancy Reagan's "policies" in the United States matter to Canadians, at the time (1980's) and today ?

What were the equivalent "policies" in Canada at the time, and did they clash with Canada's "policies" on sex and drugs to the point of cross border hatred ?

You really don't seem to have a full understanding of your own country.

Good questions. What don't you go to the Canada/US forum and start a thread and ask them there?

That's what we have Canada for, I guess. You guys watch us like hawks !

No really, I'm serious! I used to just take you for a troll, but not anymore. Now, I realize that you simply don't understand the relationship between the two countries. We always joke that yanks don't know anything about us, canada or our relationship, but you really don't get it, do you?

No really, I'm serious! I used to just take you for a troll, but not anymore. Now, I realize that you simply don't understand the relationship between the two countries. We always joke that yanks don't know anything about us, canada or our relationship, but you really don't get it, do you?

Sure I do....now. After years on this forum, the depth of Canada's obsession with the United States has been revealed to me. Who would have guessed that tiny Nancy was seen as President Reagan's Darth Vader/Dick Cheney. It's such a surprise ending.

Trudeau explained it all tonight on 60 Minutes...."Because you can't be Canadian without being aware of at least one other country, the United States, because it's so important to us."

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Good, I see what you did with this thread........

Glib passive aggressiveness on the internet..........too much of a chickenshit to even put on the nose of an internet clown or "tough-guy".........does inflaming others over the passing of a little old lady compensate for something in your own life?

Though I don't agree with Shady's attack, I'll give him credit, he let us know what he really felt.........you're just an asshole.

Ok, so I take it you're in the "don't say mean things about dead people" camp.

But it's okay to be mean to the guy being mean about the dead lady because you're being direct and not being a "chickenshit" or some such nonsense.

No, I can take a joke and I can disagree about a person's character while tip toeing the forum rules: it's all part of the fun!

But I'm the classless "asshole."

Another question though: why the anger?

What is so special about a person's passing that somehow demands this kind of protection?