How to become an MP or MLA

(1)Become fluently politically correct.

(2)Support political correctness agendas and programs ie:pro-refugees, gay rights, pro-global warming etc.

(3)Learn never to say yes or no to anything asked of you unless it is politically correct to do so.

(4)Learn how to fib.

(5)Learn how to say maybe, perhaps, could be, not sure, I will look into it, and similar types of responses.

(6)And most important is how to blow taxpayer's tax dollars.

(7)Being truthful and honest and appearing to speak political incorrectness will more than likely get one nowhere.

Just a few suggestions on my part as to how to become a good MLA or MP. Just my thoughts of course.

My question folks is what advice would you offer someone who would like to one day run for parliament. In addition what do you look for in a good MP or MLA.

Absolute obedience and devotion to the party leader. Never deviating from the party message. If possible, be a minority of some kind.

You're all making it sound too hard. It's easy.

1. Learn to speak in glib, trite, facile sound bites.

2. (most important step) Choose a party and move to a riding that always elects that party.

3. Ingratiate yourself with the local riding association. Hand out cash and free beer. Buy hookers if necessary.

4. Wait for incumbent to retire. If you think it will take too long, hire a private investigator to dig up scandal material and leak it to the press. If there is no scandal material, pay PI to make some up.

5. Run for office. If you've chosen your riding well, you won't have to show up for any debates and will only need to talk to friendly press. Hire security to ensure that only ass-kissing friendlies will show up at your rallies. Make a big show of ringing a few doorbells in areas of town that you know will support your party.

Since you won't need a campaign manager, you can send me the money you save. Bitcoin, please.

This is a serious question folks so....

First thing you do is you get involved and seen as a community minded person, joining the chamber of commerce is a good start also support groups like the Lions Club or Rotary club will get you noticed. Do a few charity events for cancer or SPCA. Once you have some name recognition, you can run for city council.

Those elected quite often come from school district people and real estate salespeople - for so me strange reason, but just being active in your community (with a few photo ops) will go along way.

This is a serious question folks so....

First thing you do is you get involved and seen as a community minded person, joining the chamber of commerce is a good start also support groups like the Lions Club or Rotary club will get you noticed. Do a few charity events for cancer or SPCA. Once you have some name recognition, you can run for city council.

Those elected quite often come from school district people and real estate salespeople - for so me strange reason, but just being active in your community (with a few photo ops) will go along way.

Thank you for that quality advice.

I agree with Hal but would add to get involved in your local provincial or federal representatives office. They are always looking for volunteers and it gives you a good idea about the atmosphere in politics.

I do not know your age or background.

Research the roles and responsibilities of municipal, provincial and federal governments. Take any courses on the history of whatever level you are planning for. Contact a previous elected representative of your area. Many are retired and very happy to assist you and give you advice.

Read the biographies and autobiographies of Canadian politicians.

Attend municipal, provincial and federal legislative meeting to see the process. Many can be viewed on television.

Edited by Big Guy

Hal's advice is certainly appropriate for maintaining the status quo and olde school establishment. Don't forget you'll need to look the part so buy a few suits and ties.

I've been involved in that establishment a little myself and know a few people who've followed the established route within it to some prominence. It changes them along the way and especially should they actually win a election. You really notice it after they come back from whatever boot camp it is they attend that brings them up to speed on things like the municipal act or whatever it is they need to adhere to. Maybe it's the realities of what is and isn't actually achievable that takes the steam out of the determination that motivated them to become an MP or MLAin the first place. On the other hand maybe it's just the gao'lud that was implanted in boot camp.

This thread really brings home why I suppose we'll never see a citizen assembly-like parliament of representatives chosen in a process similar to a jury. I think it would be a truly refreshing change from what appears to be a faintly nauseating soul draining slog.

I'd rather see a system that basically relegates political parties to something more like clubs that seek to influence as opposed to being influenced. With luck representatives who happen to be in your club will be picked from the hat.

Edited by eyeball