"No Schedule" on Cannabis Legalization

Boges

At the time of this OP, there was nothing tabled for legalization, and now we have a time line set for the spring of 2017. That seems reasonable to me. Some are not satisfied with the pace of the promises kept by Trudeau, but give it time, he's only been in the lead for a few months. This is fantastic news and great progress on fixing this 'problem'.

Whatever they put in place it's unlikely to get much respect. Politicians will be dinking around with this for at least another 10-20 years. Don't be surprised if it's criminalized at least once more, to give it the old college try.

While I agree with the legalization of pot, I predict that despite the "timeline" we will not see it legalized in the next four years.

What makes you think that, exactly? Other countries are moving in the same direction.

• 2 weeks later...

What makes you think that, exactly? Other countries are moving in the same direction.

The timeline will be long as the police services would have to adjust to the new reality. Meaning they no longer need the budget to go after weed criminals. Jobs, process, regulations and people's lively hood are at stake with legalization.

Now I am for legalization, but I can also see that things are going to have to change drastically with law enforcement regarding weed. But maybe that gives them more time to go after other things of more importance.

At the time of this OP, there was nothing tabled for legalization, and now we have a time line set for the spring of 2017. That seems reasonable to me. Some are not satisfied with the pace of the promises kept by Trudeau, but give it time, he's only been in the lead for a few months. This is fantastic news and great progress on fixing this 'problem'.

And to think, he wasted a perfectly good elbowing on the assisted-suicide filibuster instead of legalization.

That would have been epic.

A preview of what's to come with a legalization model.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/05/26/toronto-police-and-drug-squad-raid-marijuana-dispensaries.html

Toronto police and the Drug Squad have been raiding a series of marijuana dispensaries in the city since noon on Thursday.

Through the investigation, called Project Claudia, members of the Toronto police drug squad and front line officers, in partnership with the City of Toronto, have issued a series of search and arrest warrants, according to Toronto police.

The project targeted various locations that have been identified as trafficking in marijuana outside of the marijuana-for-medical-use regulations,” said Const. Caroline de Kloet.

Toronto police raided four dispensaries along Danforth Ave. west of Chester.

A repairman replaced glass smashed out of the door of MedicalClub.ca, just west of Hampton Ave., as police officers milled about inside.

Police were also inside S.W.E.D. Dispensary, two doors down. Police tape blocked entry to them plus neighbouring Weeds glass and gifts.

You really expect cops to stop doing this once there's a regulated system where only government run outlets area allowed to sell cannabis?

Cops will be enforcing pot laws more not less.

They'll be enforcing the same kinds of laws they currently enforce with other regulated substances. Put the boogey man back under the bed.

I suggest that if/when these cases come before a judge then common sense will take over.

One of the main reasons that this issue is moving so slowly is that some officials claim that a method of establishing impairment in driving is required. I thought that there are already two or three methods to establish the presence of marijuana without a blood test.

Is there not already a safe and consistent method available?

Except, as we see here, there's already a robust market for unregulated cannabis.

So if we don't legalize weed, you think that market will go away?

There's also a robust market of illegal cigarettes btw...and prescription drugs.

So if we don't legalize weed, you think that market will go away?

There's also a robust market of illegal cigarettes btw...and prescription drugs.

Police actually do very little to enforce the distribution of illegal cigarettes because they come off the reserve.

I'm actually hoping they do very little to enforce the regulations, people should be able to grow it on their own if they want.

But I think, to enforce this whole social responsibility lie, police will be asked to crack down hard on people not playing by the rules. And the rules will likely be extensive.

They'll be enforcing the same kinds of laws they currently enforce with other regulated substances. Put the boogey man back under the bed.

They enforce other regulated substances with bars, smoke shops, stores etc.

I suggest that if/when these cases come before a judge then common sense will take over.

One of the main reasons that this issue is moving so slowly is that some officials claim that a method of establishing impairment in driving is required. I thought that there are already two or three methods to establish the presence of marijuana without a blood test.

Is there not already a safe and consistent method available?

The problem is that they can't prove that this or that amount of THC in your system causes this or that much impairment in an individual. At some point judges will insist on seeing actual evidence of this.

Recall when the Olympic committee on doping threatened to investigate some athlete for taking a potentially performance enhancing substance when they tested positive for THC. Actually determining marijuana's harm could be a problem for the authorities if it's not shown to be almost as dire a threat as Fentanyl. What if it proves to be no more dangerous than driving after taking Neo-Citran a muscle relaxant or a beer?

Not all together of course.

Edited by eyeball

Yes, at this point that is the much yearned for dream of Trudeau in a political sense, and of every provincial treasurer in a an economic sense. All that revenue.....

Trudeau will achieve his intense need and desire to get far, far away from this mess , by changing the Criminal Code, slapping a fat federal excise tax on production and sale, and sprinting hard away from the quagmire. MIssion accomplished..

No such luck for the provinces, this is with certainty going to be a wholesale shitshow for them.

Like many others, you equate this situation as being similar to other regulated substances. It is not, in several significant ways. I feel sorry for the mess about to be dumped on provinces. Go ahead, be proud of Justin .

Edited by overthere

Several significant - yet strangely unnamed - ways.

Yes convenient isn't it.

I'm sure some provinces are looking forward to this as an opportunity but who knows?

But aren't you in Greece right now? Shouldn't you be enjoying time with your fiancé instead of checking in here?

Edited by msj

We're having a blast - our last day today. We fly out of Santorini tomorrow at 6:40 a.m. and then return to Toronto at around noon. I have mixed feelings about Greece - I'll post them in the other thread post trip.

We're having a blast - our last day today. We fly out of Santorini tomorrow at 6:40 a.m. and then return to Toronto at around noon. I have mixed feelings about Greece - I'll post them in the other thread post trip.

Start a new thread for me, will ya?