Super Bowl 50

I doubt Peyton has CTE. He doesn't have a history of taking big hits and trying to run the ball ever.

Well, lucky for him. The CTE will be reserved for people who got paid a tenth the money taking hits so he didn't have to and to make him look good. Looks like pro football is just like the rest of life.

Not sure that Manning is capable of doing anything else to strengthen his legacy. There are all kinds of things that he can do to tarnish it.

Time for him to hang it up.

The NFL is starting to-day to investigate the allegations of hormone use by Manning. If he declares retirement then that issue will also disappear.

Exactly, I expect he will call it quits sometime soon. He's a classy athlete who achieved all he can. No point in Favre-ing up his legacy. Though on the flip side here is Daniel Tosh's take on athletes retiring. He also makes a point.

Well, lucky for him. The CTE will be reserved for people who got paid a tenth the money taking hits so he didn't have to and to make him look good. Looks like pro football is just like the rest of life.

The QB gets more credit than they deserve and more of the blame. There are QBs that either look like they have CTE. Ever see Bernie Kosar or Jim McMahon talk lately.

Probably, but no way he takes the spotlight away from the players that actually won the Super Bowl by announcing his retirement.

I love how Manning said he would drink tons of Budweiser when being interviewed. Shows he doesn't give a bleep anymore.

I wonder how much he got paid to mention Budweiser?

-k

He allegedly has financial interests in two distributors so he is paying himself.

This is how rich people keep it classy.

Sounds simple enough.

Step 1: Buy beer distributor

Step 2: Win Superbowl

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit!

My least favorite ad of the Superbowl was this ad, for Quicken "Rocket Mortgages", called "What We Were Thinking". The link calls it "What Were We Thinking", and "what were we thinking?" and sparked a backlash of people suggesting it was "the 2008 financial crisis explained in 60 seconds", or a trailer for a sequel to "The Big Short".

-k

Sounds simple enough.

Step 1: Buy beer distributor

Step 2: Win Superbowl

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit!

-k

More like:

Through great effort and some fortunate luck (being born to Archie Manning has an element of chance to it) become one of the greatest QB's in history.

Buy distributors as an investment opportunity for when the football career arc turns.

Win Superbowl - thanks to great effort and thanks to some luck (luck is a part of life and footballs are oddly shaped so fumble luck is the primary implication here although injury luck is also worthy of consideration).

Give a shout out to the beer brand that you have a financial stake in to solidify the brand images (both for Bud and for Manning).

Retire, become a coach, continue to push the beer brand.

Etc etc etc...

Good on Manning for providing for his wife and kids and grand kids, and great grand kids etc.....

But tacky nonetheless.

Game over...defense wins championships.

This is the recency effect.

Especially when one considers that it was special teams that did the heavy lifting here: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2016/super-bowl-50-quick-reads

Funnier still, is that Manning had the second worst playoff run for a QB who made it to the Super Bowl (Drew Bledsoe 1996 was worse).

A good way for Manning to retire: winning a championship thanks to his team-mates and in spite of his (historic) greatness.

I'm sure he's had a couple where he did everything possible and didn't get enough help to win... I think getting carried to a win by his teammates is probably just karma evening things out.

-k

The Super Bowl is basically unwatchable TV.

The ratio of football to commercials makes it so.

And is there any way at all to get the talking heads to STF up, just for a few seconds per hour, hour after hour?

Not just the Superbowl, unfortunately. These days, sports commentators seem to be of the opinion they'll be canned if the don't keep up a constant jabber.

How many more times do I have to hear that the next goal/try/run is going to be critical?

That was a very dull game.

If you're a casual fan, I guess. That's a world class defence that took the league's top offence to the woodshed. It was much better than the Super Bowl 2 years ago.

Yeah... I found it quite exciting... but a younger me would have been quite bored by the lack of offense.

I think it's comparable to a hockey fan who's bored if the game doesn't have a lot of goals, or an MMA fan who gets bored by grappling. There's more to the sport than just big plays and touchdowns (or goals, or knock-outs, respectively) and I think as you understand more you appreciate more aspects.

-k

Yeah... I found it quite exciting... but a younger me would have been quite bored by the lack of offense.

I think it's comparable to a hockey fan who's bored if the game doesn't have a lot of goals, or an MMA fan who gets bored by grappling. There's more to the sport than just big plays and touchdowns (or goals, or knock-outs, respectively) and I think as you understand more you appreciate more aspects.

-k

It wasn't the fact it was low scoring. The lack of execution and poor play calling made it very dull. Cam Newton giving up part way through may have had something to do with it. He couldn't be bothered to even try and recover his fumble! WTF was that?

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/feb/07/super-bowl-broncos-panthers/

Super Bore lived up to its stereotype.

It wasn't the fact it was low scoring. The lack of execution and poor play calling made it very dull. Cam Newton giving up part way through may have had something to do with it. He couldn't be bothered to even try and recover his fumble! WTF was that?

That was at the end of the game and it was an exciting play.

There were plenty of well executed plays. People are just look for high flying passing games to enjoy football, It's hard to do that when you the Panthers have the Bear from the Revenant and his friend in the backfield every snap.

Did anyone notice, while watching, that Beyonce was doing a performance saluting the Black Panthers and with extraordinarily politically charged?

I'm sure the NFL didn't know she was going to do that, because they steer clear of political statements.

I too enjoyed the game and question the use of the Super Bowl to push political agenda.

Her tribute to Malcolm X (Malcolm Little) was inappropriate and dishonest. I believe Malcolm was one of the worst things that happened to the American black. For Beyonce to "sneak" this tribute through the pretense of art is wrong.

But I guess that just because you have a nice voice does not necessarily make one bright.

I am surprised that the half time show organizers did not see through this.

He couldn't be bothered to even try and recover his fumble! WTF was that?

What I believe is that Newton saw that 280 pounds of DeMarcus Ware were headed straight for that football, and realized that either Ware was getting the football, or the ball was going to slip out of Ware's hands, and he held back hoping for the latter so that he could be the first one on it if Ware didn't get the ball.

Here's a clip of the play. You can see Newton is going for the ball, but backs up when he realizes Ware is going to get there first, and I think he realized that he wasn't going to win that battle and was hoping Ware would lose control of the ball.

People have been criticizing Newton for chickening out on the play, but I think he knew what he was doing.

And I don't think he gave up on this game... I don't think any quarterback could have survived that onslaught. He got sacked 7 times and pounded on countless more big hits... I mean, his nickname is "Superman", but how much can you ask from a guy? He was thrown to the lions.

I too enjoyed the game and question the use of the Super Bowl to push political agenda.

Her tribute to Malcolm X (Malcolm Little) was inappropriate and dishonest. I believe Malcolm was one of the worst things that happened to the American black. For Beyonce to "sneak" this tribute through the pretense of art is wrong.

But I guess that just because you have a nice voice does not necessarily make one bright.

I am surprised that the half time show organizers did not see through this.

PVT4URx.jpg

(for reference...)

-k

...Her tribute to Malcolm X (Malcolm Little) was inappropriate and dishonest. I believe Malcolm was one of the worst things that happened to the American black. For Beyonce to "sneak" this tribute through the pretense of art is wrong.

The "American black" survived just fine thank-you-very-much. They even survived the Smothers Brothers sneaking things in on the same CBS' air almost 50 years ago.

I hope the "Canadian white" can survive Beyonce's tribute.

Edited by bush_cheney2004